All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Bay 67
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Re: One on one strip

Post by Bay 67 »

Billy Walker wrote: July 27, 2019, 12:01 pm
-PJ- wrote: July 27, 2019, 10:46 am And the 2019 Dally M stripper of the year is Josh Hodgson..

It will be a damn proud moment.

Hey could get the skipper/stripper double..
It would be far more fitting if Munster won it and as he turned to leave the stage Hodgo jumped up and stripped it off him.
Skipper/stripper/hooker treble.
Raiders Lime, what they really drink in the dressing room.
zilhouse
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Alan tongue

Post by zilhouse »

"We did a fair bit with our wrestle coach who was here earlier in the year, Steve Babic," Hodgson said.

Watching the defence today I was thinking how good we are at it now. Its not just the new poms who are awesome but even the older players like papa and sia seem to be able to control the timing of the player hitting the ground a lot better than they used to.

I know he's been gone since the season started but I'd have to think that Babic has something to do with that unless we have a different wrestling coach now?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: One on one steals

Post by greeneyed »

Time to say goodbye to the one-on-one steal rule

It is time to change the contentious new stripping rule back to how it was up until 2017, where defending teams are penalised for any strip where more than one defender is involved in a tackle.

I see why some people were saying it was exciting at first but I think it's not getting to the point where it is detracting from the game and running totally counter to what I love about rugby league. We should be rewarding energy and effort and determination rather than cheap plays.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/13/tim ... ping-rule/

Craig Wing getting in on the act... which team did he play for again?

I reckon the one on one steals are great. They add to unpredictability, in a modern world of rugby league which in coaches try to regiment everything, allowing them to make repeated robotic block plays. It is boring. The new interpretation has added to the spectacle, not detracted from it.

For too long, the coaches have had their way in taking out every point at which there can be a contest for the ball. The coaches are the people we should NOT be listening to.

It allows teams the opportunity to change momentum - and which desirably, reduces the impact of referees on the game, with their constant one sided flows of penalties which simply reward momentum with more momentum. That can only be a good thing.

And... the Raiders are darn good at it! For once, the Raiders are ahead of the game. And the Roosters are running last. That also, surely, has to be a good thing!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They only want the rule stripped because they can't do it, says Canberra Raiders winger Jordan Rapana

They don't like it because they can't do it. And the numbers back Jordan Rapana up. The Canberra Raiders winger wants the suddenly under-fire one-on-one steal rule to stay.

"I love it. I always think people that don't agree with it just don't know how to do it," he said. "We're good at it and I think it's exciting. Keep it mate, the little Poms are good at it.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: August 13, 2019, 5:27 pm Time to say goodbye to the one-on-one steal rule

It is time to change the contentious new stripping rule back to how it was up until 2017, where defending teams are penalised for any strip where more than one defender is involved in a tackle.

I see why some people were saying it was exciting at first but I think it's not getting to the point where it is detracting from the game and running totally counter to what I love about rugby league. We should be rewarding energy and effort and determination rather than cheap plays.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/13/tim ... ping-rule/

Craig Wing getting in on the act... which team did he play for again?

I reckon the one on one steals are great. They add to unpredictability, in a modern world of rugby league which in coaches try to regiment everything, allowing them to make repeated robotic block plays. It is boring. The new interpretation has added to the spectacle, not detracted from it.

For too long, the coaches have had their way in taking out every point at which there can be a contest for the ball. The coaches are the people we should NOT be listening to.

It allows teams the opportunity to change momentum - and which desirably, reduces the impact of referees on the game, with their constant one sided flows of penalties which simply reward momentum with more momentum. That can only be a good thing.

And... the Raiders are darn good at it! For once, the Raiders are ahead of the game. And the Roosters are running last. That also, surely, has to be a good thing!
:clap:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hear hear Raps!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Thank Christ it's going. I can't stand it.

Game does not need it. I want to see quick POTB and offloads, not stripping.

Finally the NRL using some logic and common sense.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Well I hope we win the Grand Final due solely to a Josh Hodgson one-on-one steal!
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

greeneyed wrote: August 13, 2019, 6:50 pm Well I hope we win the Grand Final due solely to a Josh Hodgson one-on-one steal!
That would be beautiful and how much sweeter would it be if it was against roosters, 🖕robbo
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Robby’s clearly blowing up because he’s missed the coaching opportunity. He’s doesn’t miss many tbh, this is his only way of countering it.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I really dislike Robinson. Not that I have any good reason for that.

Of the other coaches of teams in the top 5 I like Bellamy and Hasler. Don’t like Robinson or Bennett.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

gangrenous wrote: August 13, 2019, 7:33 pm I really dislike Robinson. Not that I have any good reason for that.

Of the other coaches of teams in the top 5 I like Bellamy and Hasler. Don’t like Robinson or Bennett.
Yeah he comes across as a real arrogant twat.
I hope the rule stays.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Fergus and I met Trent Robinson when we went to watch a Raiders training session before the Auckland 9s a few years back. The roosters were just finishing up on the field before the raiders arrived and he came over and said gidday to us.

Seemed like a really nice bloke, and there was really no reason for him to go over to raiders fans and have a chat
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He did seem like a nice bloke.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, he struck me as a really nice bloke, and so did Mitchell Pearce.

I also have to say that every time I see Trent Robinson speak in a press conference I really like hearing him speak, I’ve never seen him be dismissive or grumpy as Bennett and even our man can be at times
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Even when Robinson spoke about the strip, he went out of his way to give credit to us for exploiting it and doing a great job of it, even said that's what we should do.

Coaches dont like this rule, Stuart doesnt even like it... and i get why, coaches by natural are control freaks and this is an element of the game they cant really control. But it's not about coaches. It's about fans. And the fans seem mostly in favour.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

If people don't like the 1on1 steal then the solution is simple. Hold on to the **** ball.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: August 13, 2019, 7:52 pm Even when Robinson spoke about the strip, he went out of his way to give credit to us for exploiting it and doing a great job of it, even said that's what we should do.

Coaches dont like this rule, Stuart doesnt even like it... and i get why, coaches by natural are control freaks and this is an element of the game they cant really control. But it's not about coaches. It's about fans. And the fans seem mostly in favour.
If Stuart didn’t like it, he wouldn’t be doing it. You’ve listened closely enough to his press conference on Sunday.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

We're great at it but unless it's solely one on one it's a **** rule.

Stuart and the team are exploiting it, as we're entitled to. Good on them.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

PigRickman wrote: July 26, 2019, 6:57 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 26, 2019, 6:55 pm
Sid wrote: July 26, 2019, 6:51 pm Raiders have won a one on one strip a lot more times than they’ve lost the ball to one.

Agree regarding Hodgson and Munster. They produce more strips than you’d find at Sinsation’s
Hodgo will end up with a nasty nickname if he keeps it up - I’m thinking Candy or Krystal..
Is Candi back from Mat leave?
That's awesome, i'll have to pop in and see her.
Cinnamon suits him better
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 7:58 pm If people don't like the 1on1 steal then the solution is simple. Hold on to the **** ball.
You’ve got 1 arm wrapped around it, verses a defenders entire body weight.

It’s obvious it’s not very difficult to steal the ball in a gang tackle. We just trained for it more than other clubs.

The solution to never be stripped, would be to take hittups with both arms wrapped around the ball like a bear hug. How ridiculous and boring would that be.

That’s what’s going to happen or attackers are going to be encouraged to grab hold of defenders jerseys to keep them in the tackle.

We’re not long into the rule change and the signs are there that it’s a problem.

3-on-1 is not fair, 1-on-1 is fair.

The game just doesn’t need it.
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Greedysmurf »

I like the rule. In a game which has lost virtually all opportunities to contest the ball, it brings one back.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I think it’s an area the referees are policing well, I can only think of 2 stripped / not stripped decisions during the year I’ve disagreed with

On average there’s less than 1 strip per game, including sole 1 on 1 tackles, so it’s not like it’s being massively exploited

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 8:23 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 7:58 pm If people don't like the 1on1 steal then the solution is simple. Hold on to the **** ball.

It’s obvious it’s not very difficult to steal the ball in a gang tackle. We just trained for it more than other clubs.

The solution to never be stripped, would be to take hittups with both arms wrapped around the ball like a bear hug. How ridiculous and boring would that be.

That’s what’s going to happen or attackers are going to be encouraged to grab hold of defenders jerseys to keep them in the tackle.

We’re not long into the rule change and the signs are there that it’s a problem.

...or just hold on to the **** ball like every other code.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: August 13, 2019, 8:13 pm If Stuart didn’t like it, he wouldn’t be doing it. You’ve listened closely enough to his press conference on Sunday.
It's hard to hear the exact question but the exchange is:

Reporter: inaudible.. Trent Robinson... he doesnt like that peal off stripping... inaudible... you do it really well but he doesnt like that rule, do you have an opnion?

Stuart: I think there are a number of rules in the game at the moment that are putting far too much preasure on the referees.

Reporter: Is that one of them?

Stuart: Well it is one of them because it's one they have to guess. I think they got a lot of them right tonight. Whether the rule stays or goes there is so many more rules in the game that we're creating and putting too much pressure on the blokes in the middle. I feel sorry for them because its a lot of time they have to guess on rules. We need to make it a little easier on them, not making it harder. And the game you're talking about wanting to fasten the game and get more football, i dont know what the statistics of it all is but the amount of stoppages in play at the moment, i dont know why its come about, but the amount of stoppages in 80 minutes of football today at the moment is... its far greater than what it has been in the last couple of years.

------

If you interpret that as him being in support of the rule, you've got rocks in your damn head. He states very clearly that rules are making it harder on officials and we shouldnt be doing that, and that this is one of the rules that does it. Honestly GE.

Stuart is doing it because it's a rule and its there to be exploited and we're good at it. That's his job. He's smart enough to not let his personal feelings get in the way of winning football games. He does not like the rule. That much is absolutely clear
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

FWIW i love the rule, ill argue strongly for it.
I get why coaches dont like it, i get why stuart doesnt like it for reasons stated above. But i think it's a good rule, i think it's good to give the defensive players a chance to make a big play, to turn momemtum, to compete for the footy... their ability to compete as defensive players for the football is being legislated out of it.
This is one area they can compete. It should stay inspite of the coaches complaints... a little choas is good for those guys.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 8:29 pm

Yeah like Rugby Union!

The sporting equivalent to counting sheep...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sid wrote: August 13, 2019, 8:28 pm I think it’s an area the referees are policing well, I can only think of 2 stripped / not stripped decisions during the year I’ve disagreed with

On average there’s less than 1 strip per game, including sole 1 on 1 tackles, so it’s not like it’s being massively exploited
Yep, agreed. It is tough for the officials but they are actually doing a damn good job of it right now. So i dont buy the line from Stuart and Robinson that this rule is too tough for the officials to enforce.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

One on one steals

Post by gangrenous »

That’s why the kiwis excel

Edit - sheesh pigman, way to get in the way
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 6:38 pm Thank Christ it's going. I can't stand it.

Game does not need it. I want to see quick POTB and offloads, not stripping.

Finally the NRL using some logic and common sense.
no one has said it is going, in fact annisley thinks it's great.

you don't want to see stripping but are happy to watch teams wrestle and stop the actual football, fake crushers, HIA's, milk everything they can ?? turn it up, it's great and gives a team hope to get the ball back at the end when down a few points instead of watching a team just do 5 dummy half runs and all get cramp after every tackle.
raider 4 life
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: August 13, 2019, 8:40 pm That’s why the kiwis excel Image

Edit - sheesh pigman, way to get in the way
Sorry, friend.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'd be happy to see it the way it was

The ruck is a mess atm, and this is the majority of the reason why

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: August 13, 2019, 8:36 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 8:29 pm

Yeah like Rugby Union!

The sporting equivalent to counting sheep...
Like EVERY other code
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Sid wrote: August 13, 2019, 8:28 pm I think it’s an area the referees are policing well, I can only think of 2 stripped / not stripped decisions during the year I’ve disagreed with

Agree.
I don’t know why the fuss about removing the rule.
Not only does it create a genuine contest, it is asking players to be less sloppy when holding the ball.
I like the rule and the fact our players are best at it!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It's a good point, what other code allows for possession to be maintained simply because you had it first?

RU you can relieve possession at any time
NFL you can relieve possession at any time
Soccer you can relieve possession at any time
Basketball you can relieve possession at any time
Hockey you can relieve possession at any time

Basically every sport where "possession" is a thing, possesion is constantly contested. Except RL.