Saturday 17 August 5:30pm
Melbourne Rectangular Stadium
Jersey Flegg: Canberra Raiders V Victoria Thunderbolts 3:00pm
Gate 7 only opens at 3:00pm
All gates open at 4:00pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Sunny. ☀️ The chance of morning fog and patchy frost clearing to a sunny day. Light winds becoming northerly 20 to 30 km/h in the late afternoon. Chance of any rain: 5 per cent. Min 6 Max 16

Round 21 2019. Sydney Roosters 22 - Canberra Raiders 18. It was a battle for second in front of almost 20,000 people at Canberra Stadium - and the Raiders came off second best, just. The Roosters scored four tries to three, two of them from kicks and the other two set up by a player in extraordinary form, James Tedesco. Canberra's first two tries came from offloads, and the third from a great Hodgson kick in behind the Roosters' defensive line. That final try, to Elliott Whitehead, brought the Raiders withing striking distance - but too often, the Raiders looked panicked in the final stages, and the good attacking opportunities broke down in the end.

More on Round 20: As I saw it

The Raiders face an even more difficult assignment in Round 22 when they travel to Melbourne for a meeting with the Storm. Coach Ricky Stuart has named Joey Leilua (bulging disc) at centre after surgery and a long injury lay off. Nick Cotric shifts back to the left wing, with Bailey Simonsson moving to the bench. Siliva Havili drops back to the reserves list.

Jahrome Hughes returns at fullback for the Storm, after debutant Nicho Hynes impressively filled in last week. The only other change is on the bench, with Ryan Papenhuyzen replacing Billy Walters.

Milestones: Jack Wighton plays his 150th game in green in this match, while Joey Leilua will play his 200th NRL match.

Late changes: The Raiders cut Siliva Havili and Emre Guler from their squad of 21 on Friday evening, with Sam Williams and Hudson Young remaining on the extended bench. The Storm omitted Billy Walters and Tom Eisenhuth from their squad of 21.

History: The Raiders have won only 11 of 42 matches against the Melbourne Storm, for a 26 per cent win rate. Canberra has won two of the past 10 clashes between the clubs, and have lost the past five matches straight. They narrowly lost the Preliminary Final in 2016, 14-12, in Melbourne - and lost both contests in 2017. It was just a six point margin at Canberra Stadium in the first of those matches, but a 32-6 blow out in Melbourne, in the final round of 2017. The only match played in 2018 was a 44-10 drubbing for the Raiders in Melbourne. Earlier this year, the Raiders lost 22-10 to the Storm at Canberra Stadium, after trailing 14-0 at half time.

2019 Round 2 Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm

2018 Round 20 Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm

Canberra has won three of the eight matches the clubs have played at the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium - but lost the last four straight. The Raiders have won just four of the 21 matches against the Storm in Melbourne.

Form: Raiders: WWWWL
Storm: WWLWW

In their last outing, the Storm had a 26-16 win over the fourth placed South Sydney Rabbitohs at Central Coast Stadium. They have had only one loss in their past 12 matches - three weeks ago, to the Manly Sea Eagles by a single point. The Raiders have now lost twice in their past nine games - to the Eels (22-16) in Darwin and to the Roosters last Sunday.

Betting: The Storm are raging hot $1.40 favourites, with the Raiders paying $2.90. The Raiders have 6.5 points start in the line betting. The Raiders have firmed a bit since the start of the week.

Stat attack: It is a battle between first and third on the ladder. But this is going to be a very tough clash for the Raiders as the Melbourne Storm is the benchmark team. No team has scored more points than the Storm, no team concedes fewer points. They are the benchmark for possession share, completions, line breaks, running metres, kick return metres and fewest errors.

The Raiders aren't far off, ranking second for fewest points conceded and third for most points and tries scored. They rank second for possession share and third for completions. The Raiders have produced the fewest ineffective tackles (with the Storm ranking sixth) - and, taking missed tackles into account, the Raiders are pretty much line ball with the Storm in the effective tackle rate.

The Raiders kick more and run from dummy half more than any other team - which is probably why Roosters coach Trent Robinson recently called the Raiders "conservative", and that he knew what the Raiders would do. In that, the Raiders are not unlike the Storm. Both aim to play error free football, with a focus on good defence. But the Storm do that just a bit better than the Raiders - and they have more spark, more strike in attack.

Season record: Raiders 13 and 7 (3rd, +153)
Storm 17 and 3 (1st, +281)

Home and away: Raiders 8 of 11 away
Storm 7 of 9 at home

Against top eight opposition: Raiders have won 4 of 10
Storm have won 7 of 9

Attack: Raiders 23 points and 3.8 tries scored per match, ranked 3rd
Storm 27 points and 4.4 tries scored per match, ranked 1st

Defence: Raiders 15 points and 2.6 tries conceded per match, ranked 2nd
Storm 12 points and 2.1 tries conceded per match, ranked 1st

Completion rate: Raiders 79 per cent
Storm 80 per cent

Running: Raiders 1584 running metres from 176 runs, 184 kick return metres, 459 post contact metres per match
Storm 1672 running metres from 182 runs, 220 kick return metres, 473 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 34, Storm 35

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Storm 5 per match

Try assists: Raiders 2, Storm 3 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 2, Storm 3 per match

Offloads: Raiders 9, Storm 8 per match

Kicking: Raiders 587 kicking metres from 22 kicks per match
Storm 547 kicking metres from 22 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 328 made, 30 missed, 13 ineffective per match 11.6
Storm 326 made, 27 missed, 16 ineffective per match

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1365, Storm 1246 metres per match

Errors: Raiders 10, Storm 9 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 7, Storm 7 per match

Our tip: The statistical indicators suggest the Storm are deserved, hot favourites. Melbourne has lost just three times all season. The Raiders have a poor record in Melbourne and against Melbourne. The Storm defeated the Raiders by 12 when they met earlier this season, and that is the Green Machine's heaviest loss so far this year.

It is difficult to know how the Raiders are going to play this match. I'm not sure that they can "out-Storm" the Storm in Melbourne. The Storm will do what the Roosters did last week - stand offside, slow the ruck, and play stop-start so as to kill any momentum the Raiders might build. Canberra will need to come up with some tactics to combat that... but many teams have tried that and failed against the Storm.

The Raiders will have to match the Storm in the middle and kick to the corners - but they'll have to add some tricks, like offloads and kicking in behind the Storm defensive line. The Raiders tried some of that against the Roosters to good effect. They also tried to be more expansive against the Roosters, but that didn't quite work. They couldn't get around the Roosters' line. I'd love to be proven wrong, but it is hard to see anything other than a Storm win. Storm by 12.

What they're saying:

Ryan Sutton: "We're going to go into this week wanting to get back out there and what a great game to do it. Over there in Melbourne it's going to be a tough game but we're going to take a lot out of this game."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Ryan Sutton

18. Sam Williams
19. Hudson Young

Injury/Suspension
Brad Abbey (Knee) Season

Melbourne Storm

1. Jahrome Hughes
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Will Chambers
4. Justin Olam
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cameron Munster
7. Brodie Croft
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenneath Bromwich
13. Dale Finucane

14. Tui Kamikamica
15. Tino Faasuamaleaui
16. Joe Stimson
17. Ryan Papenhuyzen

18. Max King
20. Sandor Earl

Officials

Referees: Ben Cummins, Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
Sideline Officials: Kasey Badger, Nick Beashel
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLStormRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 22 V Storm: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Game Day preview updated for squads, officials, team changes: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33552&p=1683808#p1683808
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Welcome back BJ.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

I dont even want to watch this yawnfest. You just know that the cheaters will grind and wrestle their way to a comfortable win. Oh who am I kidding... I'm gonna watch it anyway, Im a sucker for punishment. Id also have to tune in to see BJ's antics... see if he will be rocks or diamonds on return.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Melbourne In Melbourne is becoming tedious every year to watch. We will have a dig but Melbourne will grind out and scrape out a win.
Of course I’ll subject myself to this pain as I do every year.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm concerned about BJ coming back against **** Melbourne of all teams. They are *****. I have visions of BJ lying face down with Cam Smith's knee in the back of his neck.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I like what Luke Lewis said on NRL360.

Don’t try to go through their middle. Attack one edge and then go to the other edge. This limits their opportunity to get the wrestling on.

Offloads could help too

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Lucky wrote: August 13, 2019, 6:41 pm I dont even want to watch this yawnfest. You just know that the cheaters will grind and wrestle their way to a comfortable win. Oh who am I kidding... I'm gonna watch it anyway, Im a sucker for punishment. Id also have to tune in to see BJ's antics... see if he will be rocks or diamonds on return.
Yep ... We play Manly at home next week which is a must win then Sharks away then Warriors at home to finish the season. I sadly believe we will finish in 5th and blowing at two bites at the cherry.
The best thing that could happen for the team is to win against the Storm the destiny is in their hands.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dusty wrote:I like what Luke Lewis said on NRL360.

Don’t try to go through their middle. Attack one edge and then go to the other edge. This limits their opportunity to get the wrestling on.

Offloads could help too

It's probably the same way to beat the Roosters. I don't think we got enough offloads/second phase last week.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

InFernos_Raiders wrote: August 15, 2019, 2:46 am
Lucky wrote: August 13, 2019, 6:41 pm I dont even want to watch this yawnfest. You just know that the cheaters will grind and wrestle their way to a comfortable win. Oh who am I kidding... I'm gonna watch it anyway, Im a sucker for punishment. Id also have to tune in to see BJ's antics... see if he will be rocks or diamonds on return.
Yep ... We play Manly at home next week which is a must win then Sharks away then Warriors at home to finish the season. I sadly believe we will finish in 5th and blowing at two bites at the cherry.
The best thing that could happen for the team is to win against the Storm the destiny is in their hands.
Well considering we have a vastly superior pd to manly, if we beat them next weekend , we probably only have to win 1/2 of warriors and sharks to secure top 4.

I would say at this rate we are more likely than not to make top 4.
Up The Milk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Not sure if that's sarcasm but we had 18 offloads to 3 last week.

Double our average for the season

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

A lot of discussion in this thread. Must be game day :D
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

My thoughts exactly. They're a grubby, niggly team and you can bet they'll go at BJ.
Dr Zaius wrote:I'm concerned about BJ coming back against **** Melbourne of all teams. They are ****. I have visions of BJ lying face down with Cam Smith's knee in the back of his neck.
Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Dusty wrote:I like what Luke Lewis said on NRL360.

Offloads could help too

Dogs did this early in the year to great effect.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Turbo_Raider
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Turbo_Raider »

For any of the Melbourne based Raiders fans out there (if there are any!), do you have any idea where the hell in AAMI park section GA-2 is located?? That's what my ticket reads but i can't seem to see it on the ground map:

https://membership.melbournestorm.com.au/seating-map-2/

Grabbed a couple of the away flexi memberships for the wife and I this season and was hoping these tickets would be in the Raiders supporters bay but I somehow doubt it :hmmm it's a shame if the away flexi's are just allocated randomly...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Bays 12-15, 19-21 and the back of 16-18 is GA2

Turbo_Raider
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Turbo_Raider »

-TW- wrote: August 15, 2019, 4:20 pm Bays 12-15, 19-21 and the back of 16-18 is GA2

Thank you kind sir/madam.

Any chance you know whether that's in the same corner as the Raiders supporter bay?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Turbo_Raider wrote:
-TW- wrote: August 15, 2019, 4:20 pm Bays 12-15, 19-21 and the back of 16-18 is GA2

Any chance you know whether that's in the same corner as the Raiders supporter bay?
Away bay is bay 11, so yeah in that corner

Turbo_Raider
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Turbo_Raider »

-TW- wrote: August 15, 2019, 4:46 pm
Turbo_Raider wrote:

:cmon :cmon :cmon thanks champ!
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

-TW- wrote: August 15, 2019, 4:46 pm
Turbo_Raider wrote:

Cool I'm in bay 9 so not too far away. Pretty much the same as where I like at Bruce.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Dusty wrote: August 14, 2019, 9:16 pm I like what Luke Lewis said on NRL360.

Offloads could help too

Luke is bang on. Offloads and early shifts are the key against Melbourne. Trudging through sets trying to miraculously gain ascendency in the ruck is a surefire way to lose this game.

They're not going to gift you possession through errors either. On the upside, they don't tend to throw a great deal of variation at you in attack - other than Munster. They just do what they do very well.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

UPDATED MATCH PREVIEW: Canberra Raiders omit Siliva Havili and Emre Guler from their squad of 21 to face the Melbourne Storm. Latest squads, weather, odds: http://ow.ly/o2WE50vyZEK

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

RedRaider wrote: August 13, 2019, 4:31 pm Welcome back BJ.
After 18 years of marriage these are words I've been longing to say.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Game day, flying down for this one and bringing a mate to indoctrinate. See you in the away corner to celebrate, I've got a good feeling about this one

Any suggestions for a good pub to head to in the area before the game?
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I think we will play better than we did last week. We seemed to be overplaying everything a bit last week and trying a bit too hard at times. I think it was the build up to the game and the pressure we put on ourselves.

This game storm are expected to win comfortably so we can relax and play our game.

Not sure if it will be enough to get us the win but I have no doubt we can take it to he storm and give ourselves a real shot.

Need to put the energy into our defence and get off the line quickly.

Should be a cracker!
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

We’ll win this I reckon,
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day.....Go the Raiders!!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day Amigo's!
Its time to tame the Purple Filth!
Caaarrrn Raiders! The day of reckoning is here!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Kryptonite wrote:Game Day Amigo's!
Its time to tame the Purple Filth!
Is that the Storm or the refs this weekend?

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

julian87 wrote: August 17, 2019, 7:21 am We’ll win this I reckon,
I’m with you Julian - in fact I’ll go a step further - I have a feeling we will this reasonably convincingly. I predict the GH will be a happy place tonight and the Raiders will be the talk of the NRL world.
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: August 17, 2019, 8:20 am
I’m with you Julian - in fact I’ll go a step further - I have a feeling we will this reasonably convincingly. I predict the GH will be a happy place tonight and the Raiders will be the talk of the NRL world.
Hate to be the downer but with all this bad press the storm are coping this week I’ve got a bad feeling we are walking into a massacre, hope I’m completely wrong but these storm bastards thrive on this ****
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Goldcoast Raider wrote: August 17, 2019, 9:03 am
Billy Walker wrote: August 17, 2019, 8:20 am
Hate to be the downer but with all this bad press the storm are coping this week I’ve got a bad feeling we are walking into a massacre, hope I’m completely wrong but these storm bastards thrive on this ****
Yeah, I gotta say I'm not over-thrilled with everyone winding the Storm up right before we play them...

I'm very nervous about this one for a number of reasons, but I still believe we can win!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

dubby wrote: August 15, 2019, 2:38 pm My thoughts exactly. They're a grubby, niggly team and you can bet they'll go at BJ.
Dr Zaius wrote:I'm concerned about BJ coming back against **** Melbourne of all teams. They are ****. I have visions of BJ lying face down with Cam Smith's knee in the back of his neck.
Finally, others who understand my chief concern about this game.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Our best games against the storm are when the refs have targeted them and their grubby tactics in the ruck. There’s no doubt there will be additional scrutiny in that area in this game.

The storm might thrive on it but if they are penalised enough in the ruck it can work in our favour.

Whatever happens there will be limited opportunities in this game and to have any chance of winning we need to turn any momentum that comes out way into points. We didn’t do it last week and that was the difference.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

raiderskater wrote: August 17, 2019, 9:16 am
dubby wrote: August 15, 2019, 2:38 pm My thoughts exactly. They're a grubby, niggly team and you can bet they'll go at BJ.
Finally, others who understand my chief concern about this game.
I'll never forget or forgive his attack- several seconds after the whistle btw- against Croker's knee. He would, you know he would. But they'll say "It's not his go" and maybe even mention he's been "an ornament to the game", like a hideous souvenir MCG ashtray full of cancer sticks is an ornament.