Storm 13+
25%

Total votes: 16

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Rd 22 V Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by GreenMachine »

I wouldn't be surprised to see the same team named today.
I suspect the only late change this week may be the inclusion of BJ for Simonsson.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Woodgers wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:56 am
The Rickman wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:43 am
Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 9:16 am Just watched the replay of Whitehead going on report for his knees on Manu. Initially I thought nothing in it and surprised he was charged. Simply a case of falling over a guy who dived in front of him. On 2nd look I believe its still an accident but he may have been able to avoid contact with his knees. As such the early guilty plea is probably best even though you don't want that many carry over points heading in to the finals.
Here's another incident where at the time I said "Jesus, Whitehead's led with his knees here" and then the penalty was blown. I wasn't surprised in the least.

Obviously gangers will tell us the onus should be on the tackled player to get out of the way of the Raiders' players knees, but I saw it differently live, as did the video ref on replay.
See this type of comment sparks my interest Rickman. So you're watching Raiders games and telling us all you're loving them, but clearly the entire game you're sitting there looking for things that Raiders fans might find contentious to find a way to argue against people on the internet during the week. It's a heck of a crusade you're on a the moment pal.
I'm really not, that's a ludicrous proposition. When Tedesco threw that ball to Tupou for his try I got up on my feet screaming "THAT'S FORWARD!!" and I repeated that several times before the replay made me begrudgingly sit back down.

I don't go looking for decisions that go against us as some sort of moral crusade, but I'm still able to see decisions that go against the Raiders as black and white. Guys like gangrenous have literally never conceded a decision that goes against us as being right. While I admire that kind of one-eyedism, that's just not me anymore.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 8:19 am Slater and Gallens comments are fair, Gould’s are a bit harsh but his general angle isn’t.

Put the comments on the changeroom wall this weekend and in the finals as motivation.

I’m in the camp that, while it would have been nice to get the win on the weekend purely for the mental element; I think this side has the character to be a contender regardless of what happened in the regular season.

If we had been soundly beaten by the top 4 sides then you’d be worried, but I think we are merely a lick of paint off them. We are a successful Leilua return off giving the comp a shake.

And we still have a month to improve.
TBH, this is where I sit. We lack a little polish/ superstar factor in the spine. Hodgo is a stud. Jack has come a long way, but still has work to do. Sezer is a middle of the pack half at best. CNK is right up there as buy of the yr, but lack ball skills.

Storm in Rd 3 and Eels in Darwin were our 2 really bad games of the yr. Yep, we havent beaten a top 5 team, yet we sit 3rd.

We have beaten everyone else, which isnt what Gould said, but seems to think is the answer. Never mind breaking the Panthers 7 game streak. Or the hot Sharks upon Graham's 1st return from injury. Or that the Chooks and Bunnies lost 4 straight after beating us earlier in the yr.

We arent that far off, but the things they are picking at are small.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I agree with that Mickey and Matt. I'd be concerned about the top 4 ledger IF we hadn't been within a pass of winning all those contests except R2 where we came in off a 5 day turnaround played in a monsoon. The top 4 talk will work in our favour, I really believe that.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Woodgers wrote: August 13, 2019, 11:40 am I agree with that Mickey and Matt. I'd be concerned about the top 4 ledger IF we hadn't been within a pass of winning all those contests except R2 where we came in off a 5 day turnaround played in a monsoon. The top 4 talk will work in our favour, I really believe that.
Yep, not too concerned we haven't beaten the other top 4 sides. I'd only be concerned if we weren't competitive with them. Fact is we are and if we continue to turn up and put in the current effort then our time will come.

As for people like Gould writing us off, I reckon Sticky would love that. He will feed off it to keep the guys focused.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

This is the perfect time of year to be written off but we do need to win enough games to make the top 4 if we want to be a shot at this. I think we need to win 3/4 to guarantee this given the run home other teams have. So a win against the Storm would be nice but isn't necessary.

There's no doubt that the Storm and Roosters are the bench mark, they have been since the start of the season and it is really only the injury to Keary that has made it a one horse race for the minor premiership. At this stage it means we will be going into any games against either of those teams as under dogs and that is just fine. We are good enough to put ourselves in those big games and we are learning what it takes to win them. There's always an element of luck there and I am convinced we can win them when it matters.

As for this week there are some crazy teams out there. I'm guessing this arvo we will see BJ back into the starting side and Cotric back to the wing outside Croker with no changes to the bench.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forward Elliott Whitehead free to face Melbourne Storm after taking early guilty plea

Canberra Raiders second-rower Elliott Whitehead is free to play the Melbourne Storm after taking the early guilty plea for his incident with Sydney Roosters centre Joseph Manu. Whitehead will have 75 carryover points.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... whitehead/
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: August 13, 2019, 11:33 am
Mickey_Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 8:19 am Slater and Gallens comments are fair, Gould’s are a bit harsh but his general angle isn’t.

Put the comments on the changeroom wall this weekend and in the finals as motivation.

I’m in the camp that, while it would have been nice to get the win on the weekend purely for the mental element; I think this side has the character to be a contender regardless of what happened in the regular season.

If we had been soundly beaten by the top 4 sides then you’d be worried, but I think we are merely a lick of paint off them. We are a successful Leilua return off giving the comp a shake.

And we still have a month to improve.
TBH, this is where I sit. We lack a little polish/ superstar factor in the spine. Hodgo is a stud. Jack has come a long way, but still has work to do. Sezer is a middle of the pack half at best. CNK is right up there as buy of the yr, but lack ball skills.

Storm in Rd 3 and Eels in Darwin were our 2 really bad games of the yr. Yep, we havent beaten a top 5 team, yet we sit 3rd.

We have beaten everyone else, which isnt what Gould said, but seems to think is the answer. Never mind breaking the Panthers 7 game streak. Or the hot Sharks upon Graham's 1st return from injury. Or that the Chooks and Bunnies lost 4 straight after beating us earlier in the yr.

We arent that far off, but the things they are picking at are small.
Spot on.

And we were RIGHT in the game against the bunnies and chooks.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 11:59 am
Woodgers wrote: August 13, 2019, 11:40 am I agree with that Mickey and Matt. I'd be concerned about the top 4 ledger IF we hadn't been within a pass of winning all those contests except R2 where we came in off a 5 day turnaround played in a monsoon. The top 4 talk will work in our favour, I really believe that.
Yep, not too concerned we haven't beaten the other top 4 sides. I'd only be concerned if we weren't competitive with them. Fact is we are and if we continue to turn up and put in the current effort then our time will come.

As for people like Gould writing us off, I reckon Sticky would love that. He will feed off it to keep the guys focused.
Agreed.

Storm by 27.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Azza wrote: August 13, 2019, 1:59 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2019, 11:59 am

Agreed.

Storm by 27.
Based on your prediction the big question is when do the Storm kick that field goal?

....or do we kick one?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Just on Gould's comments - I was getting pissed off as I was reading that but then realised that it's not much different to my view at all. Though I don't agree at all with the assessment that we've only been beating out of form teams... we've played plenty of games against teams in form and at full strength which which we've gone on to win. Teams have also lost form and large amounts of confidence following losses to us so I think it was just a stupid, off-the-cuff comment which he didn't think through at all.

I think there is a gap between Storm/Roosters and the next teams on the ladder which is why we're in this position (having not beaten any of the top sides). I also think our style of play dominates weaker opposition but doesn't really work against teams with good defence and discipline (or ability to work the refs, whichever way you wanna see it). People say we don't need a genuine halfback with the way we've structured our play but that only applies against **** teams... it's crucial when there are tough games on the line against quality opposition.

I also think the Tedesco thing is a cop out... Gould has said it and a number of the others here lol just because CNK isn't Tedesco that doesn't mean **** imo. Tedesco is considered the best in his position... there will always be a gap between another team's fullback and him. Are people going to say after every Roosters win against any other team that "they have Tedesco and we don't" as some supposedly valid reason for why the Roosters are the better team? It's Bull and it's poor rugby league analysis. There are numerous areas we fall short in, particularly the halves and our lack of a single player with a reliable boot in our spine, which all contribute to why we aren't on the level of the Roosters. Yes, it's both CNK's and Wighton's first full season in first grade at fullback and 5/8. There is room for improvement but they are above the average NRL standard as it stands. Hodgson hasn't been producing what he is capable of for most of this season and can lift too. But then we also have our main halfback as a guy who isn't first grade standard who likely will not find himself in a starting position at an NRL club next year.

I've been carrying on like a broken record about this but we have a servicable kicking game and some good organisation/communication/direction in the halves, and we go on to win pretty much all of those losses against the top sides. Our attack is poor because we rarely apply pressure with smart kicking and continually waste plays on the opposition's tryline when we need to be more threatening. We seem to always take the worst options and go in to panic mode when we get close to their line (I'm talking about when we play teams like Roosters or Storm). It's our halves and dummy half who need to lift here for us to get the job done against the top sides. Excited to see how the rest of the season plays out but to be honest I'm more excited about next season when we will potentially be able to alleviate the issues I've mentioned with incoming changes in personnel. I do also believe we are 12 months behind due to this, with Gus completely on that one.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I know that we were "in" those games we lost against the top sides but I think with our squad's ability this year we were always going to be right in those games. Closing them out is a different story which we've learnt in past seasons is crucial. We're a shot and a really good shot this year if we stay fit and other teams cop key injuries. But ultimately, I think the factors I mentioned above will let us down. Our fullback is fine and doesn't need to be Tedesco for us to win the comp. But we do however need some direction from our spine players at key moments and we need smarter, composed kicking which we likely won't be getting this season. We're not applying the pressure we need to be in this regard and that's ultimately where we will fall short. Guys like Tedesco won't be the difference, it will be our lack in these areas which will ultimately lead to us falling short.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

All reasonably good points Pat, however on the Tedesco thing, I think many of us were simply saying he was the difference on the weekend, but that doesn't mean we can't beat them if he plays. BIG difference, in my opinion.

Tedesco was the difference a few days ago, but we still could have won that game, simple as that.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: August 13, 2019, 3:13 pm All reasonably good points Pat, however on the Tedesco thing, I think many of us were simply saying he was the difference on the weekend, but that doesn't mean we can't beat them if he plays. BIG difference, in my opinion.

Tedesco was the difference a few days ago, but we still could have won that game, simple as that.
And if that outrageous pass he got off to Tupou flies over his head, or Sezer/Wighton crash through on one of those times they look certain to score, we could have won even with Teddy being as good as that!
We should respect the roosters and the quality of their squad, we should have no fears of them though. I can beat them, and i think we will in the finals
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Team: Raiders V Storm

Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm
Saturday 17 August 5:30pm
Melbourne Rectangular Stadium
Jersey Flegg: Canberra Raiders V Victoria Thunderbolts 3:00pm
Gate 7 only opens at 3:00pm
All gates open at 4:00pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3

The Canberra Raiders have named their squad for Saturday’s match against the Melbourne Storm at AAMI Park.

Joey Leilua has been named to start in the centres and will play his first match since round seven, in what will be his 200th NRL match. His inclusion sees Nick Cotric shift to the left wing and Bailey Simonson move to the interchange bench.

Siliva Havili moves off the bench into the extended squad alongside Sam Williams, Hudson Young and Emre Guler.

Canberra Raiders media

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Ryan Sutton

18. Sam Williams
19. Hudson Young
20. Siliva Havili
21. Emre Guler

Injury/Suspension
Brad Abbey (Knee) Season

Melbourne Storm

1. Jahrome Hughes
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Will Chambers
4. Justin Olam
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cameron Munster
7. Brodie Croft
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenneath Bromwich
13. Dale Finucane

14. Tui Kamikamica
15. Tino Faasuamaleaui
16. Joe Stimson
17. Ryan Papenhuyzen

18. Max King
19. Tom Eisenhuth
20. Sandor Earl
21. Billy Walters

Officials

Referees: Ben Cummins, Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
Sideline Officials: Kasey Badger, Nick Beashel
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLStormRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

PigRickman wrote: August 13, 2019, 3:24 pm
The Rickman wrote: August 13, 2019, 3:13 pm All reasonably good points Pat, however on the Tedesco thing, I think many of us were simply saying he was the difference on the weekend, but that doesn't mean we can't beat them if he plays. BIG difference, in my opinion.

And if that outrageous pass he got off to Tupou flies over his head, or Sezer/Wighton crash through on one of those times they look certain to score, we could have won even with Teddy being as good as that!
We should respect the roosters and the quality of their squad, we should have no fears of them though. I can beat them, and i think we will in the finals
I mean there's big noting yourself and... you can't beat a whole team. Not even the titans.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: August 13, 2019, 3:41 pm
PigRickman wrote: August 13, 2019, 3:24 pm

I mean there's big noting yourself and... you can't beat a whole team. Not even the titans.
He can you know, just ask him.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

:|
I said what i meant and i meant what i said.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: August 12, 2019, 11:52 pm Phil Gould says the Canberra Raiders are just "beating up on out of form sides"

Former premiership and Origin coach Phil Gould has dismissed the premiership chances of the Canberra Raiders in 2019.

"I think they're beating up on out of form teams, I really do," Gould said on Nine's 100% Footy.

"They haven't beaten a top five side this year and now they're four and six against top eight teams this year. They're beating up on all those other teams that I said are out of form. They just can't handle [the top teams]."

"There's no doubt they're on the improve. They're on the way. I think maybe next year with another off season like they've just had, you could have a cumulative effect, maybe a better team next year."

"I still think they're a long way short of Melbourne and the Roosters at the moment," Gould said.

"For them to make the Grand Final, they're going to have to beat either the Roosters in Sydney or Melbourne in Melbourne and they haven't done either for ages. It's been years since they've been able to do that. So I think they're still 12 months short."

"Great off season, great season so far, but at the moment they're still beating up on the weaklings. They haven't been able to match the top sides."

Former Melbourne Storm fullback Billy Slater was more positive about the Raiders’ performance against the Roosters - but agreed that Canberra is not with the benchmark teams.

"I think Canberra would be happy with the test against the benchmark of the competition," Slater said.

"They're the premiers of last year. I think they held their own. I think think the individual brilliance in James Tedesco, Latrell Mitchell, there were a couple of tries purely off the back of those players."

"Canberra is doing a lot of things right. They're building a really good culture down there in the nation's capital. But the passes you see from James Tedesco... you don't see that from Canberra just yet. They're building towards that, but that just doesn't happen [for the Raiders]. You've got to have the quality players in your team to pull that off."

"Canberra has a toughness about them this year," Slater said.

"They're not going to be bullied by anyone, so they'll be a challenge to come up against in the finals series, don't worry about that. But they lack that little bit with the football."

"Their attack isn't as good as the top sides."

Cronulla Sharks captain Paul Gallen again criticised Canberra Raiders star Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad at fullback.

"He just doesn't have the ball skills that Tedesco's got," Gallen said.

"He's had one try assist all year. As you know, great fullbacks need to be the extra five eighth, they need to be a ball player up near the try line. "

He doesn't quite have that skill yet. He's probably still learning that... probably another 12 months before he's a really good ball playing fullback."

The Canberra Raiders travel to Melbourne next Saturday for a clash with the ladder leading Storm.
Gallen and Bee Sting can EDIT.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Re: 2019 Rd 22 V Storm: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by The Nickman »

Well there you go, hey...

2. Cotric
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
14. Simonssen

Interesting stuff!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Interesting - no Havili on the bench....
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I like the side, well done Stuart
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

That's a premiership winning 17.

I'm not worried..

Where's Azza ?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Right here you derelict muppet. I'm not worried either. Pretty sure we'll lose this.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

That's our Azza!!
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

No complaints from me. Interesting if Hodgson has to leave the field though :hmmm . Just chuck Simo in there and release our very own Damien Cook running game!
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

zim wrote: August 11, 2019, 11:38 pm 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Joseph Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Iosia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Bailey Simonsson
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Ryan Sutton
Numbers right and everything. There goes my luck for the week.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

So seems my mocked suggestion 3 months ago that once BJ came back Havili would be replaced by Simonson and Horsburgh would be preferred as a middle was not a crazy hot take after all :hmmm
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Azza wrote: August 13, 2019, 4:11 pm Right here you derelict muppet. I'm not worried either. Pretty sure we'll lose this.
As long as ya not worried...
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

I’m so keen for this! This week is dragging on

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I like it

We'll still get spanked though

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Good looking team and worth running the risk of not having a specialist 9 on the bench.

In terms of the difference in class between us and the top 2 teams one thing that doesn't seem to have been generally considered is the form of Rapana. He has been a shadow of his former self since returning from his rib injury and it has hurt our attack. He was the player who could just carve a team up and create a try from next to nothing with his pace from dummy half but he seems slow and lethargic. I wonder if having BJ back inside him will give his mojo a boost?

What impressed me most about BJ earlier this year was how much impact he was having with a very simple game. He was making great yards from dummy half and getting quick play of the balls out of tough positions and that was getting us on the front foot. We missed that big time against the chooks. If he can get Rapana firing again it could be the edge we need in the big games.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I think Rapana is playing injured. He's had a tough year with 3 different injuries in a short amount of time.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

It seems that way but he is the strike weapon that isn't anywhere near his peak at the moment
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' 'Leipana' back together to face the Melbourne Storm

Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua is on the verge of finalising his miraculous comeback from a career-threatening spinal injury. And it couldn't come in a bigger game - against the ladder-leading Melbourne Storm in Melbourne on Sunday.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239