Canberra Raiders in talks to play trial in England

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders in talks to play trial in England

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders look to strengthen England ties

The Raiders are in early talks with Wigan about playing a pre-season trial in England against the English Super League club ahead of the 2020 NRL season.

"There's certainly interest in hosting us in a trial game over there next year. Hopefully we're over there for the World Club Challenge anyway, but failing that this is something we'll explore," Raiders CEO Don Furner said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Re: Canberra Raiders in talks to play trial in England

Post by LastRaider »

Why? Canberra need to look after their support base in regional areas for these games
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Good idea. Cements our place as the club of choice for ESL players looking at an NRL career
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Could probably do it before we play the World Club Challenge

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Greedysmurf »

LastRaider wrote: August 9, 2019, 6:24 pm Why? Canberra need to look after their support base in regional areas for these games
And what about looking after those diehard Raiders supporters living in the U.K. :? :lol:

But seriously I’d love it!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dusty wrote: August 9, 2019, 6:35 pm Could probably do it before we play the World Club Challenge

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
The story says that would replace a trial!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Are there any footballers left there to play against that we haven’t poached??
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Won't we be there for the World Club Challenge anyway?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Northern Raider wrote: August 9, 2019, 7:20 pm Won't we be there for the World Club Challenge anyway?
Love the confidence!

The Raiders could almost treat it like a home game.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

It’s actually a pretty smart idea
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The story also says the Raiders are looking at a special English away membership. I wonder where I’ve heard that idea before? :hmmm
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Playing a trial game at home is always a good idea
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

PigRickman wrote: August 9, 2019, 10:03 pm Playing a trial game at home is always a good idea
I see what you did there. :lol:
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: August 9, 2019, 10:00 pm The story also says the Raiders are looking at a special English away membership. I wonder where I’ve heard that idea before? :hmmm
Yeah I want my commission!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

This is a great idea.

Send a squad over..

Minus, Sutton, Bateman, GWilliams, Whitehead and Hodgson..who will be back in Canberra resting.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Seems a little strange a decision.

Back in 2017 we were pretty keen not to play the World Club Challenge.

Hopefully we are going to go very deep into the finals and we are going to have quite a few in the NZ v GB Lions tests. It has been 15 years since we made the finals twice in a row. (Will be a minimum of 16 cause it can’t happen to 2020)

We have not been able to back up good seasons and 2016 and 2019 have really been our only decent starts. We looked terribly underdone in 2017 and never recovered.

Obviously if we win the premiership and get to play off to be World Champions it would be great and I would look to jump on the plane myself but going around the world and out of 35 degrees for 3 degrees for the sake of a trial I am not so sure is the best move.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53 wrote: August 10, 2019, 9:40 pm Seems a little strange a decision.

Back in 2017 we were pretty keen not to play the World Club Challenge.

Hopefully we are going to go very deep into the finals and we are going to have quite a few in the NZ v GB Lions tests. It has been 15 years since we made the finals twice in a row. (Will be a minimum of 16 cause it can’t happen to 2020)

We have not been able to back up good seasons and 2016 and 2019 have really been our only decent starts. We looked terribly underdone in 2017 and never recovered.

Obviously if we win the premiership and get to play off to be World Champions it would be great and I would look to jump on the plane myself but going around the world and out of 35 degrees for 3 degrees for the sake of a trial I am not so sure is the best move.
Hopefully the club has learned a thing or two over the past few years.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I really think the Raiders are over playing their hand in terms of popularity over here.

I'm not alone in being seduced by a team with great English representation - the Warriors game last week was only the third game we've not had live.

It's got to be remembered, though, that this is never going to be more than a second team for any English rugby fan.

Generally, rugby league over here is still very working class and this is a group that has very little spare at the moment (although it will probably prove to be a golden era if Brexit happens).

I can't see people spending something they don't have to support their second team. I hope I'm wrong - I've developed a genuine affection for the Raiders and, from a macro point of view, any international cooperation can only be a good thing for the game.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

MrPosh wrote:I really think the Raiders are over playing their hand in terms of popularity over here.

I'm not alone in being seduced by a team with great English representation - the Warriors game last week was only the third game we've not had live.

It's got to be remembered, though, that this is never going to be more than a second team for any English rugby fan.

Generally, rugby league over here is still very working class and this is a group that has very little spare at the moment (although it will probably prove to be a golden era if Brexit happens).

I can't see people spending something they don't have to support their second team. I hope I'm wrong - I've developed a genuine affection for the Raiders and, from a macro point of view, any international cooperation can only be a good thing for the game.
You make some good points. But basic member packs without games (if they match the local version) will probably be very cheap and about at cost.

You will get a cap, scarf and a few other goodies for not much more than the usual cost of a sporting teams cap. I know a few Tuggeranong kids (Canberra’s working class area) who have small cost memberships that attend about 3 games a year with unallocated seats.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

MrPosh wrote:I really think the Raiders are over playing their hand in terms of popularity over here.

I’ve wondered how the Raiders are perceived by UK fans. We could easily be either the awesome club giving UK guys a go in the NRL, or we’re poaching their stars. Almost like the Roosters, but for brits.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021