17%

Total votes: 12

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 3:44 pm
PigRickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 3:37 pm I dont know why i thought it was Simo... anyways we're just going around in a circle now, and as usual no one is going changing anyones mind here, haha.
So probably time to agree to disagree, old friend
I wouldn't agree to that
:lol: i was PRAYING for him to pick up what i was putting down there!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 3:56 pm
The Rickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 3:44 pm
PigRickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 3:37 pm I dont know why i thought it was Simo... anyways we're just going around in a circle now, and as usual no one is going changing anyones mind here, haha.
So probably time to agree to disagree, old friend
I wouldn't agree to that
:lol: i was PRAYING for him to pick up what i was putting down there!
Hahaha, best... line... ever
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Rickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 1:28 pm So you’re saying Croker needed to rely on his second rower coming around behind his half after he’s rushed out of the line to cover the gaping hole that was left and somehow this is Croker’s fault?

Yeah, righto
[/quote
Under the 2019 structure EW was already there.
If they were all meant to rush up when Jack did, why didn't Bailey Simo follow JC up an in? He held his position.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

RedRaider wrote: August 12, 2019, 4:17 pm
The Rickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 1:28 pm So you’re saying Croker needed to rely on his second rower coming around behind his half after he’s rushed out of the line to cover the gaping hole that was left and somehow this is Croker’s fault?

Yeah, righto
If they were all meant to rush up when Jack did, why didn't Bailey Simo follow JC up an in? He held his position.
EW isn't already there at all. The replay shows him not being able to get across as fast as Croker who had already come in and then tried to cover. He is not covering that distance if he can't get there before Croker.
Bailey Simo is still learning how to defend in structure. This isn't the first instance we've seen of him not following the structure and it's not that surprising given the speed at which things happened. He pretty much has an impossible choice in this play.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Re: Are we premiership contenders?

Post by Brew »

Northern Raider wrote:Well we had a loss that wasn't unexpected. Fortunately other results worked in our favour and we've retained 3rd spot. A critical game will be vs Manly in 2 weeks. A win there would go a long way to securing a top 4 finish. A loss puts us at severe risk of dropping to the bottom half of the 8.

There's a real threat looming from the Eels. They have a relatively soft draw and could win all their remaining games. Fortunately its the Eels so expect them to lose their bundle at some stage.
Question is do you want to finish 4 and play Melbourne in Melbourne or finish 5 or 6 and get a home Semi first?

Cause finishing 4 will ensure we are playing Week 2 of the finals cause we ain’t beating a Melbourne in Melbourne. The upside is we get the home Semi in Week 2

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Brew wrote: August 12, 2019, 5:01 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Well we had a loss that wasn't unexpected. Fortunately other results worked in our favour and we've retained 3rd spot. A critical game will be vs Manly in 2 weeks. A win there would go a long way to securing a top 4 finish. A loss puts us at severe risk of dropping to the bottom half of the 8.

There's a real threat looming from the Eels. They have a relatively soft draw and could win all their remaining games. Fortunately its the Eels so expect them to lose their bundle at some stage.
Question is do you want to finish 4 and play Melbourne in Melbourne or finish 5 or 6 and get a home Semi first?

Cause finishing 4 will ensure we are playing Week 2 of the finals cause we ain’t beating a Melbourne in Melbourne. The upside is we get the home Semi in Week 2

I'd rather finish 4th, we can beat Melbourne in Melbourne.

Then we get the week off.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Kryptonite wrote: August 12, 2019, 9:54 am
BadnMean wrote: August 11, 2019, 5:55 pm Halves didn’t win that.

Tupou n Latrell gave our 3/4 line a bath.

Our one out rucking from the back 5 _ was_ lame n predictable.

Simonson is an solid FG winger- middle of the pack, no more. Rapana hasn’t recovered his best form n may not. CNK spilled 2 bombs. Toots missed s couple of big tackles n died with the ball on some big plays. My respect for those players shouldn’t cloud that they collectively were under par and outplayed for a premiership contender.

They squashed our strength.

We were outplayed across the backline, halves not so much.
If Croker can’t fix his defence, the Storm will get out to a 20 point lead in 10 mins like the round 2 start, I think we are still a rung or two down from the Storm and Roosters
I’ll give you a hot tip Krypto - after 250 games where his defence has always been in question nothing is getting fixed. As I pointed out on the Croker thread he is fourth in the comp for try causes. I genuinely believe his rush up, take nobody defensive flaw has major potential to cost us in the finals.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

zim wrote: August 12, 2019, 4:24 pm
RedRaider wrote: August 12, 2019, 4:17 pm

Yeah, righto
EW isn't already there at all. The replay shows him not being able to get across as fast as Croker who had already come in and then tried to cover. He is not covering that distance if he can't get there before Croker.
Bailey Simo is still learning how to defend in structure. This isn't the first instance we've seen of him not following the structure and it's not that surprising given the speed at which things happened. He pretty much has an impossible choice in this play.
At the end of the day, pinning that try on Croker is a classic example of people who just want to single him out as a defensive liability.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Otherwise known as Classic Billy Walkering.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Ah great, this **** has now spewed over into THIS thread too.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

Well if it’s never Crokers fault we need to start looking at Wighton as he appears now to becoming a defensive liability. Moving up out of the line and causing huge problems for the outside men.... we might have Blake Austin 2.0 - Excellent attacker, terrible decision maker in defence
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

**** me this is tedious.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Billy Walker wrote:

Simonson is an solid FG winger- middle of the pack, no more. Rapana hasn’t recovered his best form n may not. CNK spilled 2 bombs. Toots missed s couple of big tackles n died with the ball on some big plays. My respect for those players shouldn’t cloud that they collectively were under par and outplayed for a premiership contender.

If Croker can’t fix his defence, the Storm will get out to a 20 point lead in 10 mins like the round 2 start, I think we are still a rung or two down from the Storm and Roosters
I’ll give you a hot tip Krypto - after 250 games where his defence has always been in question nothing is getting fixed. As I pointed out on the Croker thread he is fourth in the comp for try causes. I genuinely believe his rush up, take nobody defensive flaw has major potential to cost us in the finals.
Yet Wighton gets off Scott free

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

The Rickman wrote:

For what’s it worth I don’t think the NRL or Refs would allow it even if we could on paper.

In Ricky We Trust
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It’s hilarious that literally the only player who did as the coaches teach it is getting blamed for this try. Really shows how little those people understand defensive structures
**** red has Elliot Whitehead playing his man and then wrapping around the half to play outside the half and get there quickly enough to shut down the block runner

Imagine actually trying to routinely defend that way? It’d be an out and out disaster
That’s some one marker Chris Anderson **** right there
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

zim wrote: August 12, 2019, 4:24 pm EW isn't already there at all. The replay shows him not being able to get across as fast as Croker who had already come in and then tried to cover. He is not covering that distance if he can't get there before Croker.
You've missed the point Zim, I was talking about if JC had not come in, EW was in that space left by Jack. No where near as far as to get to the outside of JC. It would have been 3 attackers on 3 defenders.
The end result is that JC came in and the Chooks got the try. Whats the worst that can happen if JC holds his Position (ie not rush up) and waits to see what Teddy will do with EW in the Jack gap? I know the orthodox thing to do is follow and rush up, but it didn't have the consequence of stopping the ball or the try. Again, I know these are split second decisions, but breaking a straight defensive line in the hope of cutting off the play, has not really worked for us this year. Lesson to both Jack and JC for mine.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

LastRaider wrote: August 12, 2019, 5:14 pm Well if it’s never Crokers fault we need to start looking at Wighton as he appears now to becoming a defensive liability. Moving up out of the line and causing huge problems for the outside men.... we might have Blake Austin 2.0 - Excellent attacker, terrible decision maker in defence
Exhibit a
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

-PJ- wrote:First post since fulltime..

I've been drunk, asleep,and at work.

Who are we firing out of the cannon ?
Rapana

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: August 12, 2019, 5:04 pm

Great topic. We should start a thread on it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

A lot of sad in this thread yesterday

Played poorly and narrowly lost. Could easily have won with some of those late charges at the line which were stopped by very good defence. Even the best teams will sometimes miss those.

The only concern I have is the team hasn’t had a good history of learning from mistakes. They really should be able to watch that game and see how they got thrown from the standard game plan by the occasion and refocus to not make the same mistake this week.

Still confident we’re right in this. Reckon we’re a decent chance of doing the Storm this week.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote:
zim wrote: August 12, 2019, 4:24 pm EW isn't already there at all. The replay shows him not being able to get across as fast as Croker who had already come in and then tried to cover. He is not covering that distance if he can't get there before Croker.
You've missed the point Zim, I was talking about if JC had not come in, EW was in that space left by Jack. No where near as far as to get to the outside of JC. It would have been 3 attackers on 3 defenders.
The end result is that JC came in and the Chooks got the try. Whats the worst that can happen if JC holds his Position (ie not rush up) and waits to see what Teddy will do with EW in the Jack gap? I know the orthodox thing to do is follow and rush up, but it didn't have the consequence of stopping the ball or the try. Again, I know these are split second decisions, but breaking a straight defensive line in the hope of cutting off the play, has not really worked for us this year. Lesson to both Jack and JC for mine.
You... you’ve lost the plot, Red. You’re not HONESTLY saying that when a half sprints out of the line and leaves a gap on his OUTSIDE that it’s his INSIDE secondrowers job to come around behind him and close said gap, are you?

Because, that’s what it looks like you’re saying here!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Brew wrote:
The Rickman wrote:

For what’s it worth I don’t think the NRL or Refs would allow it even if we could on paper.

That post is honestly not even worth bothering addressing.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Seiffert82 wrote:That knock on by CNK should absolutely have been called no-try and a penalty against Tupou, based on the interpretation and application of the rule.

If Tupou was in position to contest the bomb, he's absolutely entitled to do so. However he's not entitled to get himself into a position that undermines the safety of the defending player who is contesting the bomb. That's the whole point of the rule.

Tupou ran into a spot that essentially caused CNK to land awkwardly and spill the ball. He didn't properly contest the ball. He didn't jump for it and he turned his back on it when it was clear CNK had eyes on the ball. CNK was put in a position where he had to contest the bomb and when Tupou didn't contest it, it became a dangerous situation. It was clumsy at best and deserved a penalty in accordance with the rules.

It was ridiculous for the VR to overrule the on-field refs call.
S82 nails it here.

On the Penrith Rapana one, I would say the difference is that the player catching the ball was never put in dangerous position by Rapana’s contest. But if they rule that Rapana hasn’t made an attempt to contest the ball and want to go zero contact, I’m good if they take that one away. As long as they’re consistent, which is their biggest issue.

If I had more time I’d try and find it. I’m sure Raps was penalised under similar circumstances (to Tupou) earlier this year.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Rickman wrote: August 12, 2019, 6:01 pm
RedRaider wrote:
You... you’ve lost the plot, Red. You’re not HONESTLY saying that when a half sprints out of the line and leaves a gap on his OUTSIDE that it’s his INSIDE secondrowers job to come around behind him and close said gap, are you?

Because, that’s what it looks like you’re saying here!
Heh I'm not going to respond anymore to the Croker stuff cause now we're at the point of saying everything will work out if Croker just does the wrong thing to cover for someone else doing the wrong thing AND Elliot Whitehead has decided to just ignore everyone on the inside of the play. Ball player, decoy forwards, who cares.
This is a bridge too far.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That's genuinely amazing stuff from Red.
EDIT
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

FROG wrote: August 12, 2019, 12:18 pm Ricknickmen, i dont watch much other (non raiders) rugby league games either these days, but i did catch 5 mins of the storm game and in those 5 mins i saw vinavalu set up a try which was overturned by the vid ref because he jumped too early and impeded the full back. This was despite the fact that he never took his eyes off the ball and ultimately tiped it back. It was the inverse of our decision.. im comfortable if the game wants to protect full backs ability to catch the ball, but it needs to be even remotely consistent. Tupou's was a mandatory penalty imo. he didnt have his eye on the ball and clearly wasnt contesting it, he was there to put pressure on cnk and put him in a dangerous position. That was the difference between the 2 sides
Rickman, i put off EDIT while i wrote this response to your post... you could have at least acknowledged that it wasnt worthy of a response, as you have for other posters.. but alas, you, like the nrl, have their favourites...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

CJ42 wrote: generally if they've jumped to contest this year it's fine, but going under a player and not jumping with them, even with eyes on the ball, has been a penalty this year.
The problem with how you guys are viewing this is in this post

There is a massive difference in a player going under a defensive player in the air and a defensive player in the air attacking the football and going over the attacker.
CNK leaves the ground at about 2 metres away from where Topou is standing.
One guy is basically stationary and the other guy is leaping over him for 2 metres away and you want a penalty for the stationary player getting jumped on top off?

Da **** outta here haha
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Can people please show some greater respect for other posters. Some of these comments are completely inappropriate. By all means disagree... but there is no need for personal derogatory comments.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Far too much effort going into blaming one person for a breakdown in the team defensive formation.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Imagine if the Raiders defended like this forum... we wouldn’t leak a point
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: August 12, 2019, 7:27 pm Can people please show some greater respect for other posters. Some of these comments are completely inappropriate. By all means disagree... but there is no need for personal derogatory comments.
I think we should have a right to call the idea our defensive structure is such that a backrower’s responsibilities are to wrap around a half and take the block runner on big back line movements EDIT. That’s what it is.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I agree with the Croker loyalists, defensive issues are never Croker's problem, ever.

The players inside and outside him are the ones who have let him down over the past 250 games - not him. He's just the common denominator, that's it.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

This place is getting as bad as a Facebook comments section

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: August 12, 2019, 7:51 pm I agree with the Croker loyalists, defensive issues are never Croker's problem, ever.

The players inside and outside him are the ones who have let him down over the past 250 games - not him. He's just the common denominator, that's it.
Croker is at fault for tries, but we're now at a point where people are saying Croker shouldnt follow his inside man in when he comes up, because our system is that Elliott Whitehead wraps around the half and fills in the gap
Its just beyond the realms of logic

Croker isnt perfect and he makes errors like any other. But people who say he's at fault for tries because he comes up and in when Wighton does simply dont understand the first rule of up and in defence. The very first thing every coach will tell their players is when your inside man comes in like that, go in with him and take the next man along, if everyone on the edge does their job you either shut down the play or force the half to make a very good pass under enormus pressure to cut out 2 players to hit the outside man.

I know you and your boys down in the park can make that pass, but very few NRL halves are as good as you fellas.