Post by -TW- »

Nope, we aren't

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Are we premiership contenders?

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I'd like to believe that we are still contenders but I gotta agree that we need to come away with at least one win against the top sides. We'll see where we stand next week. If I were to be completely honest (and I've maintained this view the entire season) I think we will fall short due to our shortage in the halves. You need better kicking in play to win premierships. I think I was a bit hopeful banking on Sezer to continue his run of form in to the finals. I hope they prove me wrong but I think it's where we fall short compared to the other three teams in the top four.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I thought we outperformed the Chooks in most positions bar the halves today
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Not quite contenders but are as close as we've been in 25 years, on par with 2016 imo

It's a two horse race unfortunately. We're in the next tier down with Manly and Rabbits. We might be able to scrape into the GF but yeah will have to show we can beat a top 4 team
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I think we're absolutely premiership contenders and my natural instinct is to not believe we are.

We're there in September, I believe we can beat anyone and do it 3 or 4 times. Today hasn't changed my thinking at all. Every team has areas of improvement and I think we learn from today and move forward. The one thing we have in spades is a team unity and desire and that's what drags you through in September when most footy teams are fairly equal I reckon.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Halves didn’t win that.

Tupou n Latrell gave our 3/4 line a bath.

Our one out rucking from the back 5 _ was_ lame n predictable.

Simonson is an solid FG winger- middle of the pack, no more. Rapana hasn’t recovered his best form n may not. CNK spilled 2 bombs. Toots missed s couple of big tackles n died with the ball on some big plays. My respect for those players shouldn’t cloud that they collectively were under par and outplayed for a premiership contender.

They squashed our strength.

We were outplayed across the backline, halves not so much.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yep, we are.
Nothing i saw today made me change my mind, i think we're going to win the comp
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Yes, we are.

The NRL don't like it, but we are.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

BadnMean wrote: August 11, 2019, 5:55 pm
Simonson is an solid FG winger- middle of the pack, no more
I try not to do this but I’m going to call this out. I reckon the young fella is a star and at the very least a potential star. And if he was afforded some of the attacking opportunities other players from other teams have. Bar the odd great finish I honestly don’t think he’s been put into space this entire season and that’s not his fault imo.

He’s proved he’s got the smarts, can roll his sleeves up and do the tough stuff and he doesn’t fold under pressure. Those are the 3 hard things as a winger and he’s aching for the chance to show the rest.

Sorry to nitpick I just think calling out a 10 game 20 yr old rookie as nothing more than middle of the road is harsh.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

julian87 wrote: August 11, 2019, 6:36 pm
I try not to do this but I’m going to call this out. I reckon the young fella is a star. And if he was afforded some of the attacking opportunities other players from other teams have. Bar the odd great finish I honestly don’t think he’s been put into space this entire season and that’s not his fault imo.

He’s proved he’s got the smarts, can roll his sleeves up and do the tough stuff and he doesn’t fold under pressure. Those are the 3 hard things as a winger and he’s aching for the chance to show the rest.

Sorry to nitpick I just think calling out a 10 game 20 yr old rookie as nothing more than middle of the road is harsh.
You could be right in the future. Right how he's not. And he may never be.

Excellent wingers get themselves a break or some space. They finish half chances. He honestly doesn't finish those that well. Or get into space. That in itself is a talent. Not luck.

He's excellent defensively but middle of the road (some good, one average) in other departments. Compared to other wingers.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I try not to do this but I’m going to call this out. I reckon the young fella is a star and at the very least a potential star. And if he was afforded some of the attacking opportunities other players from other teams have. Bar the odd great finish I honestly don’t think he’s been put into space this entire season and that’s not his fault imo.

Right now I agree with BadnMean on that one. That's not to say that's the ceiling for Simo. Not only is he rookie but he also has a limited grounding in rugby league. He's got the potential to improve substantially and could end up a too shelf NRL winger. But I'll wait until he does step up those levels before getting too carried away.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Northern Raider wrote:

Right now I agree with BadnMean on that one. That's not to say that's the ceiling for Simo. Not only is he rookie but he also has a limited grounding in rugby league. He's got the potential to improve substantially and could end up a too shelf NRL winger. But I'll wait until he does step up those levels before getting too carried away.
I completely agree, the argument of where BJ fits in (most of its on Facebook tbh) is crazy. Simonson’s been a very solid player considering it’s his year in rugby league, but he’s not smashing down doors.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I think we are off the back off that.

A few decent decisions and a few less **** calls by Klein and that’s us.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Cna i agree with Julian on Simonson’s potential and agree with the rest of you that he's the odd man out to make way for beej?
Cause that's what i think
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Yeah of course he makes way that’s not even an actual debate is it?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: August 11, 2019, 7:00 pm Yeah of course he makes way that’s not even an actual debate is it?
This your first time on the GH, m8?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

PigRickman wrote: August 11, 2019, 7:17 pm
julian87 wrote: August 11, 2019, 7:00 pm Yeah of course he makes way that’s not even an actual debate is it?
Haha

I’ve seen it on Facebook but I haven’t noticed it here.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

julian87 wrote:
Haha

Wighton to lock is a good one

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: August 11, 2019, 7:41 pm
julian87 wrote:
Haha

That one is a given. I expect nothing other than this when the teams are announced.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

-TW- wrote: August 11, 2019, 7:41 pm
julian87 wrote:
Haha

Only makes sense if it frees up Croker to wing.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BadnMean wrote: August 11, 2019, 5:55 pm Halves didn’t win that.

Tupou n Latrell gave our 3/4 line a bath.

Our one out rucking from the back 5 _ was_ lame n predictable.

Simonson is an solid FG winger- middle of the pack, no more. Rapana hasn’t recovered his best form n may not. CNK spilled 2 bombs. Toots missed s couple of big tackles n died with the ball on some big plays. My respect for those players shouldn’t cloud that they collectively were under par and outplayed for a premiership contender.

They squashed our strength.

We were outplayed across the backline, halves not so much.
You're right, their 3/4 line was better. We made some bad defensive decisions which led to tries and had a couple crucial errors. But also our 3/4 line had extremely little to work with in attack to make up for any of that. I thought our forward pack looked better.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

PigRickman wrote:Yep, we are.
I want to see how you feel 715PM Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Brew wrote: August 11, 2019, 9:11 pm
PigRickman wrote:Yep, we are.
I want to see how you feel 715PM Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
unless we get 50 put on us, it wont change a lick... no team has ever won the comp if they concede 50, so if we do that, ill have to cede to history on that front.

Final series is a one game, winner takes all scenario and ive no reason to believe we cant beat any team in a one game scenario. I dont need to see this team beat the roosters or the storm for that matter to know they can.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

#FlatTrackBullies

No problem disposing of the dud teams.... still struggle to beat the top tier teams. We are getting there though... a few years back and the roosters would have won 13+
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Absolutely we can win on our day in the finals, if that's the bar then I agree we're a contender

We're not a top tier team though, that's what I meant, the eye test and the stats show those are Roosters and Melbourne

I am concerned we lack a genuine superstar of the ilk of Tedesco, Munster. They're so often the difference in big games. Which is all the more reason I'm looking forward to BJ coming back - we need every advantage we can get
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I agree Kris Man. We are still a little short.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I thought the Roosters played near their potential, whereas we weren't even close.

Our forwards went OK for the most part, but our backs were frustrated out of the contest. People are ragging on our halves as being ineffective, but we weren't gifted the same field position as the Roosters were and I actually thought our halves put a great deal of pressure on their defensive line.

At the end of the day we lost by 4, after spilling the pill a few too many times and giving away some dubious penalties.

I'd be worried if I were the Roosters.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I wouldn’t be worried as a Roosters fan considering they had their best 3 forwards unavailable yesterday.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

julian87 wrote:I wouldn’t be worried as a Roosters fan considering they had their best 3 forwards unavailable yesterday.
Agree, they are full of confidence with that win with Cordner, Friend and Taki to come back in.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 12, 2019, 1:33 am I thought the Roosters played near their potential, whereas we weren't even close.

Our forwards went OK for the most part, but our backs were frustrated out of the contest. People are ragging on our halves as being ineffective, but we weren't gifted the same field position as the Roosters were and I actually thought our halves put a great deal of pressure on their defensive line.

At the end of the day we lost by 4, after spilling the pill a few too many times and giving away some dubious penalties.

I thought the Sportress wrap up https://sportress.wordpress.com/2019/08 ... mpatience/ was really good. Our forwards provided enough space to work off... we just didn't take advantage of it. And a good point in there about how we should have executed a game plan to go through the middle and kick to the edges but seemed to stray away from this.

You could say that the backs were frustrated out of the contest. I think Hodgson's decision making was off at times which was a contributor. I thought Wighton was fine which the wrap up also touched on, of the halves he seemed to be the only one to stick to that game plan but also could have had some more patience in attack. Sezer wasn't really giving anyone much to work with in attack and didn't build any pressure with his kicking. Him and Hodgson needed to be better for us to win that. If your backs didn't go well it's usually because the forwards fell short and that wasn't the case yesteday... I think the guys calling the plays and directing the ball were off the mark.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah I'd be taking more confidence out of that result if I were the Roosters than the Raiders. We still lack composure in key moments and until we find it, we're going to keep having these "close but not quite there" type results.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raiders_Pat wrote: August 12, 2019, 8:01 am
Seiffert82 wrote: August 12, 2019, 1:33 am I thought the Roosters played near their potential, whereas we weren't even close.

I thought the Sportress wrap up https://sportress.wordpress.com/2019/08 ... mpatience/ was really good. Our forwards provided enough space to work off... we just didn't take advantage of it. And a good point in there about how we should have executed a game plan to go through the middle and kick to the edges but seemed to stray away from this.

You could say that the backs were frustrated out of the contest. I think Hodgson's decision making was off at times which was a contributor. I thought Wighton was fine which the wrap up also touched on, of the halves he seemed to be the only one to stick to that game plan but also could have had some more patience in attack. Sezer wasn't really giving anyone much to work with in attack and didn't build any pressure with his kicking. Him and Hodgson needed to be better for us to win that. If your backs didn't go well it's usually because the forwards fell short and that wasn't the case yesteday... I think the guys calling the plays and directing the ball were off the mark.
Fair call. I think in most part, the lack of space was often caused by Hodgo, but was primarily due to the Roosters being able to slow the ruck right down and put a stop to the play on a number of occasions due to dubious injury situations. I just don't think our halves ever had the chance to manage the game with any sort of momentum. It was so stop-start.

Plenty of things for our boys to look at and improve on. I don't think we are far off the mark at all TBH.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Nailed it
Azza wrote:Yeah I'd be taking more confidence out of that result if I were the Roosters than the Raiders. We still lack composure in key moments and until we find it, we're going to keep having these "close but not quite there" type results.
Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Azza wrote: August 12, 2019, 8:22 am Yeah I'd be taking more confidence out of that result if I were the Roosters than the Raiders. We still lack composure in key moments and until we find it, we're going to keep having these "close but not quite there" type results.
Well said.

I'm still 80-90% confident the Storm and Roosters make the GF, but given all it takes to throw that off track is an upset in week 1 of course we're a contender. Storm and (especially) the Roosters will go up another gear in September. Not sure if we have another gear to go to with our current halves. Wighton was really threatening but is a year or two off his peak IMO. Watching Munster in the game afterwards you saw a half that turned those half opportunities when running the ball into points.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I still think we'll win the comp this year and last night's game only solidified that feeling.