2019 NRL Fans' Poll: Results

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

2019 NRL Fans' Poll: Results

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Canberra Raiders fans... have your say in the NRL.com Fans' Poll. Make sure the voices of the #GreenNation are heard! #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

2019 NRL Fans' Poll: Have your say on the big issues https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/08/201 ... ig-issues/ via @NRL

What do you think of the questions?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Vote in the 2019 NRL Fans' Poll

Post by Northern Raider »

Roughly 17,000 votes so far. Raiders faring well in a few catergories.

Best Player: Bateman = 3rd with Turbo on 7%. Teddy a runaway leader on 46% then Cam Smith on 9%.
Best Coach: Ricky Stuart 3rd @ 19%. Des and Bellyache 1st and 2nd

Best Fullback: CNK = 2nd with Turbo on 9%. Teddy 1st by miles.
Best Centre: Croker 2nd on 19%, Mitchell on 32%
Best 5/8: WIghton = 3rd with Maloney on 11%. Munster 1st, Keary 2nd.
Best 2nd Rower: Bateman clear leader on 29%
Best Prop: Paps = 2nd with Klemmer on 15%. Haas 1st @ 20%.
Best Hooker: Hodgo 3rd on 9%. Cook and Smith well ahead of the pack.

Best Recruit: CNK 31%, Bateman 27% then daylight.
Most Improved: CNK 28%, Wighton 16% taking top 2 spots again.
2019 Grand Final winner: Raiders 3rd @ 15% behind Storm and Rorters.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: August 9, 2019, 8:44 am Roughly 17,000 votes so far. Raiders faring well in a few catergories.

Best Player: Bateman = 3rd with Turbo on 7%. Teddy a runaway leader on 46% then Cam Smith on 9%.

But Croker can’t be in the top two centres, surely!? ;)

There’s no way Haas is the best prop in the competition.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PS How is it possible that the most supported team is the Roosters? They certainly don’t turn up at their matches.

PPS I understand how it’s possible that 11 per cent of respondents are Roosters supporters.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: August 9, 2019, 8:52 am
Northern Raider wrote: August 9, 2019, 8:44 am Roughly 17,000 votes so far. Raiders faring well in a few catergories.

Haas is a devastating ball runner. Lazy defender. Give me Paps or Klemmer any day.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Ricky has done a better job than Des IMO. Dessy has DCE and Turbo in his spine for goodness sake.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: August 9, 2019, 8:52 am

Croker is running 8th out of 16 with only 5 votes in the Greenhouse player of the year award despite having not missed a game all season unlike many below him.

When you consider the two polls it demonstrates he is a really really popular fan favourite but actually isn’t the elite player some think he is. Even among the GH posters here he wins the popularity vote hands down but is very mid field in the best player vote.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Croker has 2.5x the POTY points that Rapana has, despite only playing 19 games vs 15.

So obviously Jordan Rapana sucks
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: August 9, 2019, 2:35 pm Croker has 2.5x the POTY points that Rapana has, despite only playing 19 games vs 15.

Never rated that Rapana bloke
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: August 9, 2019, 2:35 pm Croker has 2.5x the POTY points that Rapana has, despite only playing 19 games vs 15.

You know that’s a weak argument Piggy - you could apply the same rationale to say Simmonsen has equal points to Croker in less games and is therefore obviously a better player than Croker. Neither are sensible arguments.

I think it is interesting where Croker sits in the GH POTY rankings though. BUT - probably best we all ignore GE’s little barb and get behind the team for a big game this weekend and hope that Croker has a big one in his 250th... even though I’m right :P
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: August 9, 2019, 4:40 pm

You know that’s a weak argument Piggy - you could apply the same rationale to say Simmonsen has equal points to Croker in less games and is therefore obviously a better player than Croker. Neither are sensible arguments.

I think it is interesting where Croker sits in the GH POTY rankings though. BUT - probably best we all ignore GE’s little barb and get behind the team for a big game this weekend and hope that Croker has a big one in his 250th... even though I’m right :P
You're right
It is a weak argument. And it's the same **** argument you made against Croker, EDIT.
Congrats. You played yourself.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:

The only **** time you've been right on this site is when you **** attempted to jinx our players with injury, and it worked.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Billy Walker wrote:

You haven't been right about anything and to be frank you're a tedious pain in the ****

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

PigRickman wrote: August 9, 2019, 9:58 pm

You're right
It is a weak argument. And it's the same **** argument you made against Croker, EDIT.
Poor Billy. He's missed the piggy raison d'être there. Well played, and for what it's worth I agree in principle.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

zim wrote: August 10, 2019, 2:04 am

You're right
Poor Billy. He's missed the piggy raison d'être there. Well played, and for what it's worth I agree in principle.
I was a little disappointed that Piggy folded so quickly. Usually he goes to great length to come with some inane tedious argument to defend his earlier foolish statement before he folds and turns to personal abuse - but I’m happy to take his early concession.

You tend to know you’re right when other posters don’t even attempt to engage on the point you make but rather just play the man.

Some of these guys should take comfort that when they put popularity bias and fandom aside and actually do a considered week to week rational analysis of players form and ability, they actually come out in a similar position to the NSW selectors and other unbiased experts in the game.
Last edited by Billy Walker on August 10, 2019, 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

You're right
I’ll tell you what I’ll do for you Piggy - I’m going to let you take a mulligan on that reply and have a fresh go. I figure it’s probably been a long week, you were stuck between wanting to push a reply out and having to put the kids to bed and in retrospect you rushed it and misfired. We both know it’s a weak reply that doesn’t make a lot of sense and falls well short of your usual standard. So let’s just scratch it. We can set it aside, you have a good breakfast, take your time and take another more considered shot and we’ll go from there.

If nothing else you can’t say I’m not looking out for you here!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

There is no need to engage
As you rightly stated and as my post about Rapana makes it clear, judging players off the GH POTY table is indeed stupid

And it begs the question that if you think that’s a **** dumb way to evaluate a player, why did you use it?

And I answer, because you’re a troll and a poor quality one at that
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I do think that the NRL Fan Poll tells us a fair bit about how the NRL fans in general perceive players and other issues. It has very high response rates... and even though it is a process that is flawed by self selection and multiple respondees (you can respond once at least on each computer or mobile device you own). But it is clear that the poll is not "hijacked" by the fans of any particular club, given the wide range of players represented in the "best team".

So given that, it shows that Jarrod Croker more widely respected as a very good player, consistent with how widely he's respected by the vast bulk of the Canberra Raiders' own fan base. It's actually a poll that is not likely to be much affected by personal popularity or perceptions of what a player does off field... as other fans really won't have much idea about that.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

At the end of the day sadly Croker will never play a representative game for State or Australia because he just isn’t good enough.

He is good first grader for club but has never been able to take the next step.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don’t think that’s true. I think it’s because the Blues have not recognised his worth, when he has merited selection. As Wayne Bennett has said in the past, he’d have selected him for Queensland. Certainly worse players have played Origin.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: August 10, 2019, 11:41 am I do think that the NRL Fan Poll tells us a fair bit about how the NRL fans in general perceive players and other issues. It has very high response rates... and even though it is a process that is flawed by self selection and multiple respondees (you can respond once at least on each computer or mobile device you own). But it is clear that the poll is not "hijacked" by the fans of any particular club, given the wide range of players represented in the "best team".

So given that, it shows that Jarrod Croker more widely respected as a very good player, consistent with how widely he's respected by the vast bulk of the Canberra Raiders' own fan base. It's actually a poll that is not likely to be much affected by personal popularity or perceptions of what a player does off field... as other fans really won't have much idea about that.
Good points about the fan poll GE. I would suggest the Green House player of year award is also a very good indicator of how a player is travelling. It’s hard to separate the heart from the head sometimes when it comes to players you admire. Sia is footballer I really like and would probably nominate highly on poll like the fan poll where it’s based on your broad perception of a players performance. If I go back on a week to week basis and consider how many times I actually gave Sia points in the GH POTY it would most likely demonstrate that from an analytical sense I actually considered Lui a better front rower than Sia over the course of the year despite my perception that Sia is the better player.

I suspect that happens a fair bit with Croker and the contrasting results between the polls possibly demonstrate that. It doesn’t mean people should change their views on Croker or not vote for him in the fan poll if that’s what they
want to do. I do think it’s a reasonable point to make though, and like everything I’m keen to discuss it, hear opposing views and possibly even change my opinion. Not sure why some people have such a poor reaction to views that don’t align with their own.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jarrod Croker has twice been voted Canberra Raiders Fans’ Choice Player of the Year, once the Meninga Medalist. He can’t win every year! He’s ranking sixth in my total points for 2019. And I’ve probably been a bit tough on him, tbh.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: August 10, 2019, 1:43 pm Jarrod Croker has twice been voted Canberra Raiders Fans’ Choice Player of the Year, once the Meninga Medalist. He can’t win every year! He’s ranking sixth in my total points for 2019. And I’ve probably been a bit tough on him, tbh.
I don’t disagree with anything you have said there GE. He has been the best player in previous seasons when honestly we weren’t at our strongest and this year we have a strong side where there are half a dozen or so players performing at a higher level than him. It just is what it is. Doesn’t devalue what he’s done in previous seasons and doesn’t elevate the season he is having this year.

Over the course of this year I would rate him a solid, honest contributor who is doing his job. I wouldn’t say he is outstanding, I can’t say he’s been poor. I do worry his defence issues might arise at a bad time but hopefully they won’t. I think that’s a fair assessment but I accept others hold a view that he’s one of the elite players in the game. I think that is heart over head stuff.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Why do you need to bring this nonsense up in every second thread? We **** get it. You don't rate him. It should also be noted that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to rugby league.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: August 10, 2019, 2:23 pm Why do you need to bring this nonsense up in every second thread? We **** get it. You don't rate him. It should also be noted that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to rugby league.

When somebody's opinion is in the clear minority they tend to voice it louder and more often in attempt to gain support for their cause.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: August 10, 2019, 2:34 pm
gergreg wrote: August 10, 2019, 2:23 pm Why do you need to bring this nonsense up in every second thread? We **** get it. You don't rate him. It should also be noted that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to rugby league.

When somebody's opinion is in the clear minority they tend to voice it louder and more often in attempt to gain support for their cause.
Gentlemen please - if you scroll up you will clearly see it was actually GE who bought it up and had a dig that surely JC couldn’t be in the top 2 centres with a winky face to follow.

I’ve just responded to GE with a bit of back and forth that I think has been respectful and good natured. I’ve taken on his points about the independence of fans at other clubs voting in the fans poll and he may or may not have cared for my thoughts on Crokers rankings in the GH POTY. I don’t understand the hate but it does fascinate me. Some of you are getting into the “leave Britney alone” category when it comes to defending JCs honour :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Vote in the 2019 NRL Fans' Poll

Keep banging the drum of you really need the attention.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: August 10, 2019, 3:09 pm
Huh?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Oops. Meant to say 'if'. :|
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: August 10, 2019, 3:22 pm
Billy Walker wrote: August 10, 2019, 3:15 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 10, 2019, 3:09 pm
Billy Walker wrote: August 10, 2019, 2:46 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 10, 2019, 2:34 pm
Gentlemen please - if you scroll up you will clearly see it was actually GE who bought it up and had a dig that surely JC couldn’t be in the top 2 centres with a winky face to follow.

I’ve just responded to GE with a bit of back and forth that I think has been respectful and good natured. I’ve taken on his points about the independence of fans at other clubs voting in the fans poll and he may or may not have cared for my thoughts on Crokers rankings in the GH POTY. I don’t understand the hate but it does fascinate me. Some of you are getting into the “leave Britney alone” category when it comes to defending JCs honour :lol:
Huh?
Oops. Meant to say 'if'. :|
I see now - haha, nah got a big game to focus on tomorrow! Didn’t really think I was beating a drum or even being disparaging towards JC to be honest but whatever- let’s get behind them and get them over the line and on the way the locking in 2nd place :thumbsup
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2019 NRL Fans' Poll results

The fans have spoken with James Tedesco named the game's best player and the ideal star to base a team around, while Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is the season's best recruit and Payne Haas the rookie of the year according to NRL.com's 2019 Fans Poll.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/16/201 ... s-supreme/

Final results: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/08/201 ... ig-issues/
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

A few very telling results.

88% say Sin Bins should be used for fouls play. It's currently allowed so refs shouldn't be shy about using it. I think they're getting more confidence to do so now.

77% say the current MRC process is not fair. NRL must take action here.

64% say Yes to a transfer window. Taking way too long for action in this regard.

72% feel the season is the right length. A glowing endorsement to leave that alone.

16% say that Andrew Johns is the best analyst. All other votes from those people should therefore be disregarded.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Andrew Johns is a very good in-game analyst IMO. It popular to rag on him - people just seem to hate it when he points out things they think they should know, but don't.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: August 16, 2019, 6:08 pm Andrew Johns is a very good in-game analyst IMO. It popular to rag on him - people just seem to hate it when he points out things they think they should know, but don't.
I don't watch Ch9 very often but my memories were of him gibbering away semi coherently. Maybe he's improved.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m with you NR. He also led the charge to stop the penalty crackdown.