9%

Total votes: 23

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2019 Rd 21 V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: August 7, 2019, 8:43 pm
greeneyed wrote:Was just prompted by a comment on The GH Facebook group to have a look at what tickets are available for Sunday... Meninga Stand, not much left, more in the East Stand, but anything under cover is pretty popular.

"Premium Grandstand" and "Gold Inner Bowl" sold out.

This is starting to feel a whole lot like 2016!
NEEDMEMBERSCODE

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
It's a real shame this valuable contributor to the forum was bullied out because people thought he only signed up to get a members code :nooo
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The best combined side, full strength imo:

1. Tedesco
2. Cotric
3. MItchell
4. Leulia
5. Rapana
6. Keary
7. Cronk
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. JWH
11. Whitehead
12. Cordner
13. Bateman

14. Radley
15. Soliola
16. Taukeiaho
17. Tapine

The bench you could make a case for Issac Lui over Sia, and Crichton or Aubusson over Tapine. But i think that starting 13 is absolutely bang on. And you'd be hard pressed arguing otherwise on any of them
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Agreed
Mickey_Raider wrote:
dubby wrote: August 8, 2019, 9:37 am FTR, there's not many roosters players I'd say no to.

Morris is about the only one.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Not doubting the quality of the roosters team at all. They are stacked.

But to suggest that world class players like Papalii, Bateman, Cotric and Wighton wouldn’t get a look into that roosters 17 is silly.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders centre Joey Leilua on cusp of remarkable comeback: Ricky Stuart

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart said he "wouldn't hesitate" to pick returning star Joey Leilua for Sunday's top-four showdown with the Sydney Roosters if it doesn't upset team balance.

"The dynamic of the whole team is something that is quite crucial, especially playing the premiers who are a quality football team. Whether you have an outside back on the bench, have him starting or have him sitting out is a decision that we'll make on the back end of the week."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/08/lei ... ck-stuart/

VIDEO: Coaches Comment: Stuart expecting 'semi-final' like atmosphere: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... s-comment/

VIDEO: NRL.com preview Raiders v Roosters - Round 21 - Jarrod Croker makes his 250th NRL appearance as Canberra Raiders host Sydney Roosters: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/08/rai ... -round-21/

Stuart mulls NRL headache against Roosters: https://www.espn.com/nrl/story/_/id/273 ... e-roosters

NRL Match Preview: Raiders v Roosters: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33532

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... -roosters/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote:
dubby wrote: August 7, 2019, 6:09 am Had a dream this game was played in pouring rain. The roosters kicked out on the full to start the game.
They muscled up in defense though, and beat us 12 nil

My dream was totally reverse of that..it was stinking hot. So hot both teams didn't wear jerseys, just body paint. We kicked off..short. It was tapped back into Papaliis soft hands and he ran 45 metres to score the opening try. We won 13-0. Jarrod Croker kicked a field goal..
The players were wearing nothing but body paint??

I think you’ll find your dream was more similar to dubby’s than you think!
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

PigRickman wrote: August 8, 2019, 11:00 am The best combined side, full strength imo:

1. Tedesco
2. Cotric
3. MItchell
4. Leulia
5. Rapana
6. Keary
7. Cronk
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. JWH
11. Whitehead
12. Cordner
13. Bateman

14. Radley
15. Soliola
16. Taukeiaho
17. Tapine

The bench you could make a case for Issac Lui over Sia, and Crichton or Aubusson over Tapine. But i think that starting 13 is absolutely bang on. And you'd be hard pressed arguing otherwise on any of them
Wighton would have to be in the 17 wouldn't he? If he were the only change to your team I'd swap him for Soliola.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The unsung hero who helped turn the Green Machine into the Mean Machine in season 2019

Former Raiders playmaker Andrew McFadden returned to the nation’s capital as an assistant coach to Ricky Stuart in September 2018 with one mission — to turn the Green Machine into the ‘Mean Machine’.

“When you first meet him, he’s intense. We had a couple of little fights, a little bump of the heads here and there, some little disagreements,” Joe Tapine said.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... a83246180a
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sounds like Cappy ruffled some feathers in the pre season!

Nice stat... Raiders now have the best goal line defence, conceding one try for every 19.5 tackles. Sea Eagles tank second conceding one for every 15 tackles.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

McFadden could be in the same category as Furner. Career assistant coach. Both seem to do quite well in that role.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I quite like the fact Cappy was confident enough to come in and butt heads with a few people and shake the place up instead of playing nicey nicey. That's usually the worry with old boys- that they fit in too comfortably and won't call out they cushy corners that need attention.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Premier Chooks play role in when Joey Leilua returns for Raiders

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart is still unsure if he'll play Joey Leilua against the Roosters on Sunday.

"I'm not sure yet. The dynamic of the whole team, the balance of the whole team is something that's quite crucial," Stuart said. "Especially playing against the premiers. They're a quality football team and whether you have an outside back on the bench, whether you have him starting or sitting out is a decision I'll make on the back end of the week."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: How Leilua’s ‘massive’ return causes a headache: Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson talks about Joey Leilua’s impeding return and how it will help Canberra’s charge towards the finals: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/08/how ... -headache/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart on Sunday's huge clash with the Sydney Roosters at Canberra Stadium! WIN News Canberra reports...

📺 http://ow.ly/MbsX50vrq5O

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Wiki Special wrote: August 8, 2019, 2:30 pm Wighton would have to be in the 17 wouldn't he? If he were the only change to your team I'd swap him for Soliola.
Yeah you could mount an argument for him over either of the centres (beej because of the neck and Mitchell because, well he took his SOO spot and excelled) or in Radley's bench spot. I think the bench spot for Radley would probably be the place to go if you wanted to get him in there.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

This might sound absolutely ridiculous. But if I was picking a hybrid team from both squads for the season I reckon I’d run with Keary and Wighton in the halves. By the finals they’d be red hot.

Tomorrow though, you’d pick Cronk and Keary, obviously.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You're right, that does sound ridiculous! haha
But you could be right, Cronk isnt what he was and by seasons end he might be hanging on by a thread.

But the unsaid thing about that post but is implied which isnt ridiculous and i dont watch any of the NRL tv shows or listen/read much beyond this site, but Keary is absolutely the best half of the group right now, and it's not particularly close.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

PigRickman wrote: August 8, 2019, 6:55 pm
Wiki Special wrote: August 8, 2019, 2:30 pm Wighton would have to be in the 17 wouldn't he? If he were the only change to your team I'd swap him for Soliola.
Yeah you could mount an argument for him over either of the centres (beej because of the neck and Mitchell because, well he took his SOO spot and excelled) or in Radley's bench spot. I think the bench spot for Radley would probably be the place to go if you wanted to get him in there.
Radley is an absolute weapon. Two very good teams to pick from.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

If you pick solely on 2019 form then Cronk may well be edged out by SOO rep Wighton.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

RedRaider wrote: August 8, 2019, 7:43 pm If you pick solely on 2019 form then Cronk may well be edged out by SOO rep Wighton.
Jack is still too up and down. Cronk is still capable of reaching the highs Jack has at times this year, but what you'll never get from Cronk is the lows Jack has reached this year. Which obviously sounds like a shot at Jack but it isnt, his first season back at 5/8th has gone about as well as you could have possibly hoped. In a GF scenario where it's one game, winner takes all, ill take my chances with Cronk
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Comparing apples and prams if you ask me- and that's an autocorrect I'm choosing to let stand as it's just great imo.

Jack is a big, fast, acrobatic, dynamic ball of energy which can smash a ball runner or shatter a defensive line or boot the ball into orbit and then be first chaser there- which makes his ability to slip the odd nicely timed ball, slide in a deft grubber etc just a bonus. Cronk is a classic organising #7 (who is no slouch in any department, but it all just serves to let him run the show more effectively). Apples and prams.

If you have a team full of weapons, the a Cronk running the show is great. Rorters have a team full of weapons.

Jack is our #6. In a traditional #6 sense- his job is to run first and boot it long if needed. He's a bit of a Laurie- hits, good centre, ability to play in the pack at lock if was needed and all. Laurie just had less yips.

I don't think we're going to out-Melbourne Melbourne so I;m happy to have Jack there to crack them open. Rorters ... well Sezer is our #7 and he's going well but yes, I'd have Jack and Cronk or Jack and Keary.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'd pick Croker over Mitchell.

It's attitudinal. Maybe Mitchell at his best is better, but Croker shows up every week determined to win, which is more than what Mitchell can say. Croker's also far less likely to get himself binned over some stupid professional foul or grub act.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Pilz
David Grant

Post by Pilz »

raiderskater wrote: August 8, 2019, 8:35 pm I'd pick Croker over Mitchell.
Me too.

It may be bit green tinged of me, but as well as that, Wighton and Whitehead make my starting team over Cronk and Cordner. No second thought required.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

To me, the most surprising thing about that post is that the Roosters purport to have enough supporters to maintain a "blog'.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

PigRickman wrote: August 8, 2019, 7:52 pm
RedRaider wrote: August 8, 2019, 7:43 pm If you pick solely on 2019 form then Cronk may well be edged out by SOO rep Wighton.
Jack is still too up and down. Cronk is still capable of reaching the highs Jack has at times this year, but what you'll never get from Cronk is the lows Jack has reached this year. Which obviously sounds like a shot at Jack but it isnt, his first season back at 5/8th has gone about as well as you could have possibly hoped. In a GF scenario where it's one game, winner takes all, ill take my chances with Cronk
You may well be right, but I reckon at least from last years Grand Final up to now, Keary is the Chooks lead halves player. In the time Keary was injured the Chooks lost 3 and won 1 plus they had a bye. One loss was the match he was injured in against the Knights. As soon as he returned they came up with a win against the Tigers. Jack had a poor match in Darwin but we don't play in those conditions again. It should be a great contest this Sunday.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I think one of the most fascinating side stories to this match will be to see who wins the battle of the grub - Bateman or Mitchell.

I will be keeping a sneaky eye on it during the match, especially off the ball.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Looks like some special Canberra weather ready to welcome the Roosters on Sunday.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Freeze their feathers off!!

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 9, 2019, 7:16 am Looks like some special Canberra weather ready to welcome the Roosters on Sunday.
It's been **** MISERABLE the last 24-48 hours and it doesnt look like going away soon.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

The Rickman wrote: August 8, 2019, 2:09 pm
-PJ- wrote:
dubby wrote: August 7, 2019, 6:09 am Had a dream this game was played in pouring rain. The roosters kicked out on the full to start the game.
They muscled up in defense though, and beat us 12 nil

My dream was totally reverse of that..it was stinking hot. So hot both teams didn't wear jerseys, just body paint. We kicked off..short. It was tapped back into Papaliis soft hands and he ran 45 metres to score the opening try. We won 13-0. Jarrod Croker kicked a field goal..
The players were wearing nothing but body paint??

I think you’ll find your dream was more similar to dubby’s than you think!

dubby wrote: August 9, 2019, 8:38 am Freeze their feathers off!!

So it'll be Raiders wearing nothing but body paint, and nude Roosters without any feathers? Not good weather for um... showing your assets in their best light or size
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

With this type of weather I don’t think it really benefits us either. We like the cold but not this **** cold!
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

RedRaider wrote: August 9, 2019, 12:00 am
PigRickman wrote: August 8, 2019, 7:52 pm
You may well be right, but I reckon at least from last years Grand Final up to now, Keary is the Chooks lead halves player. In the time Keary was injured the Chooks lost 3 and won 1 plus they had a bye. One loss was the match he was injured in against the Knights. As soon as he returned they came up with a win against the Tigers. Jack had a poor match in Darwin but we don't play in those conditions again. It should be a great contest this Sunday.
This is spot on RR. Keary is the the most important half to either team and the best of the 4 on offer. He won the chooks the grand final last year while Cronk played general but couldn't do much and the roosters record without him speaks for itself.

The ability of the raiders to nullify his game on Sunday will have a big impact on the outcome of the game.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

LastRaider wrote:With this type of weather I don’t think it really benefits us either. We like the cold but not this **** cold!
Wind chill almost -10 at the moment

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Pretty worried about this game.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote:Pretty worried about this game.
I’m not. We gots dis
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We could be playing 17 blue haired old ladies and Azza would be worried...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: August 9, 2019, 11:56 am We could be playing 17 blue haired old ladies and Azza would be worried...
So he should be - that would be a classic banana peel game if Ive ever seen one.