Jack Hetherington heading to Canberra Raiders?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Jack Hetherington heading to Canberra Raiders?

Post by dubby »

So Paul Kent writes that we have signed Jack Hetherington from the Panthers:

"So Waqa Blake was released mid-season to Parramatta. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak released to Canterbury.
Jack Hetherington will be off to Canberra. Maloney gone to France. Campbell-Gillard being shopped around."

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 921084bb5d

Position: Prop
Height: 190 cm
Weight: 107 kg
Date of Birth: 08 June 1996
Birthplace: Canberra, ACT
Nickname: Hethro
Debut Club: Penrith Panthers
Opposition: Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
Date: 22 April 2018
Round: 7
Previous Club: -
Junior Club: Valentine Devils

Biography:
The grandson of Roosters legend Bill Mullins, son of former Raiders prop Brett, and nephew of former Raiders fullback Brett Mullins, Hetherington joined the Panthers junior ranks in 2016 and was a leading performer for the NYC side. He stepped up to the ISP side in 2017 and was a member of the Panthers squad that won the premiership and the State Championship title that season. Hetherington made an immediate impact following his NRL debut in 2018 and he was rewarded with the club's Ben Alexander Rookie of the Year Award.

Read more: https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/team ... herington/

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by julian87 »

**** I’m very happy with that if true. He looked very good last year, is probably minimum wage, and has a familial history with the club.

I’ve posted before on here that I think he’s someone we should sign.

Hope it’s true.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Yea a few rough edges but definitely has potential, would be a good addition to the squad
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Hetherington would be a really astute signing.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

He is nothing but trouble off the field. Just what we need, another back rower!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Looks more a lock/front rower from what I saw.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

julian87 wrote: August 6, 2019, 8:13 am Looks more a lock/front rower from what I saw.
yea definitely a middle, listed on the panthers website as a Prop, Probably replaces someone like Royce Hunt or Luke Bateman in the squad
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

kiwi raider wrote: August 6, 2019, 8:19 am
julian87 wrote: August 6, 2019, 8:13 am Looks more a lock/front rower from what I saw.
yea definitely a middle, listed on the panthers website as a Prop, Probably replaces someone like Royce Hunt or Luke Bateman in the squad
Yep. Fills a 20 minute, high defensive intensity bench spot. Will comoete well with young and Horsburgh
Dont delete this GE
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Straight swap for L Bateman I guess

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Jack Hetherington heading to Canberra Raiders

Post by bonehead »

stoked
Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

simo wrote: August 6, 2019, 8:32 am
Yep. Fills a 20 minute, high defensive intensity bench spot. Will comoete well with young and Horsburgh
Isn’t comoete the first line of the Haka? Guessing he’s a kiwi :roflmao
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Cant remember ever really seeing him play, but it looks like the right people who do know are very happy with this, so count me in.
Bring on the young Mullo bloodliner.
Last edited by Botman on August 6, 2019, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Has some disciplinary things to sort out on, and possibly off the field, but a solid signing IMO. Was pretty solid for the Panthers last year. Will add to our good depth. Decent young middle forward.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: August 6, 2019, 9:55 am
simo wrote: August 6, 2019, 8:32 am
Isn’t comoete the first line of the Haka? Guessing he’s a kiwi :roflmao
Its Kamake, but you could blame auto correct :lol:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

If he was a race horse, you'd buy him entirely on his bloodlines.

I guess prop is about the only place we have space for a young forward. He could do well.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Ronny P wrote: August 6, 2019, 7:48 am He is nothing but trouble off the field. Just what we need, another back rower!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
^^^^ it says he's a prop champion.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

He’s a bit of a liability discipline wise. But I don’t think you’re going to get a better fit potential/talent/age compared to cost.

His on field issues, from memory, remind me a bit of a young Mitch Barnett. Has an error or several penalties in him but maybe that can be ironed out with age/good culture. Because lord knows there wasn’t a good culture at Penrith even with success.

I’m not attributing Penrith’s mild success in 2018 to him but from memory he came into the team when they were in a rut and they improved when he was in the side. An injury riddled 2019 and it looks like Cleary probably thought Penrith rushed into and signed him on overs. That’s not gospel, just what it looks like to me. From memory Cleary prefers a safer style of forward too which might be part of what’s happened.

He’s not a world beater but he 100% fits the current forward pack mound Stuart has built. Very good defender and aggressive but fit young middle forward. Actually a pretty similar style of player to Horsburgh but maybe a touch more athletic with ball in hand.

If it’s true and it doesn’t come off we simply have a young bloke in reserve grade rather than a career reserve grader on the same amount of money.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: August 6, 2019, 10:31 am He’s a bit of a liability discipline wise. But I don’t think you’re going to get a better fit potential/talent/age compared to cost.

His on field issues, from memory, remind me a bit of a young Mitch Barnett. Has an error or several penalties in him but maybe that can be ironed out with age/good culture. Because lord knows there wasn’t a good culture at Penrith even with success.

I’m not attributing Penrith’s mild success in 2018 to him but from memory he came into the team when they were in a rut and they improved when he was in the side. An injury riddled 2019 and it looks like Cleary probably thought Penrith rushed into and signed him on overs. That’s not gospel, just what it looks like to me. From memory Cleary prefers a safer style of forward too which might be part of what’s happened.

He’s not a world beater but he 100% fits the current forward pack mound Stuart has built. Very good defender and aggressive but fit young middle forward. Actually a pretty similar style of player to Horsburgh but maybe a touch more athletic with ball in hand.

If it’s true and it doesn’t come off we simply have a young bloke in reserve grade rather than a career reserve grader on the same amount of money.
I agree with all of that. Very much a Horseburgh type signing/ player. A mobile aggressive middle with a temper. :D
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Dont want to start a new thread but I think Horse has done well to control his temper on field while maintaining his aggression. Also been great with off loads and cleaning up loose ball. Also tough as nails. Played with a fractured elbow a few weeks back. Very impressed!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

he was a bit sloppy in that first game back but has been a lot better last 2 weeks
Edrick The Entertainer
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

According to Paul Kent's article in the Tele on the panthers- 'Jack Hetherington will be off to Canberra'. Seen a bit of him, can play.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

How many father/sons would that be for the Raiders?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

From what i know, he is very loose disciplinary wise on the field, and some off. With a lot of raw potential and big raps as a junior.
Good signing as a depth player on minimal coin. Actually really good.
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

Great signing..... I'm sure L. Bateman wished he took the 3yr deal while it was on the table. I'm sure this bloke will take his spot on less money.
Long time creeper....... First time poster
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

reptar wrote:How many father/sons would that be for the Raiders?
All I know is that tall 2nd gen props always work out great
Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Raiders have said publicly they wish to re-sign Luke Bateman.
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

greeneyed wrote: August 6, 2019, 3:39 pm The Raiders have said publicly they wish to re-sign Luke Bateman.
I hadn't seen that. Surely, his value to the club has dropped in the interim. Surely even Luke must look at the talent ahead of him in the roster and realise he wont get much more than minimum wage... There would have to be more opportunities for him elsewhere.
Long time creeper....... First time poster
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: August 6, 2019, 3:39 pm The Raiders have said publicly they wish to re-sign Luke Bateman.
I'd see this as a min wage replacement for Royce Hunt.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

boydy80 wrote: August 6, 2019, 3:42 pm
I hadn't seen that. Surely, his value to the club has dropped in the interim. Surely even Luke must look at the talent ahead of him in the roster and realise he wont get much more than minimum wage... There would have to be more opportunities for him elsewhere.
I'm not sure there would be. Lots of games missed through injury this year, and not named again this week, after one game back.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

bonehead wrote:
Tilse is the only one?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jackson is Ricky's son...
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Jack Hetherington has ability, I like the signing. Will put pressure on our bench middles and would not surprise me if he forced his way into our 17. Don't know much about him off field though, hope he fits our current culture.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

reptar wrote:
bonehead wrote:
Tilse is the only one?
like I said
Edrick The Entertainer
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Still think it is a good signing. Given Stuart was able to get some pretty good output from Dave Taylor, I am somewhat hopeful he can reign in Hetherington’s poor discipline. I seem to remember he was sin binned twice in the same game for Penrith, but could be wrong.

Plenty of potentially good forwards coming through with Guler, Horsburgh, Young, Murchie and now Hetherington.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I seen a few of his games last year, and he had a lot of potential. Plenty to get excited about. The comparison to Mitch Barnett is on the money, but I think JH has more attacking ability by far.

Yes, he is a handful off field but I'm confident Ricky will get the best from him