Raiders half Aidan Sezer joins Huddersfield Giants on two year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders' Aidan Sezer wants to stay in NRL

Post by greeneyed »

"I'll fight to keep my spot": Canberra Raiders half Aidan Sezer

Aidan Sezer has denied recent speculation he might head to Huddersfield, but concedes 2019 could be his last in green.

"It was news to me that I was going to Huddersfield," Sezer said. "I'm just concentrating on the back end of the year and my future will sort itself out. I'm still on contract here next year and I'll see my contract out if I have to. It's something that will have to wait until the end of the year."

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 29d252ee2f
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Canberra Raiders' Aidan Sezer wants to stay in NRL

Post by BadnMean »

Fair enough. Sounds like he's not too distracted, more motivated if anything.

He's smart enough to know he's playing good footy as the half of a top 4 team and may just be a GF halfback to negotiate from in future.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: August 6, 2019, 11:02 am Fair enough. Sounds like he's not too distracted, more motivated if anything.

He's smart enough to know he's playing good footy as the half of a top 4 team and may just be a GF halfback to negotiate from in future.
Thats my take on it too. Brushing off rumours. Not dismissing the situation but also not worried about it yet. He knows the next couple of months are what really counts in dictating his future.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Canberra Raiders' Aidan Sezer wants to stay in NRL

Post by BJ »

Sezer seems a pretty level headed guy. Certainly playing very well at the moment. He is linking with both Hodgson and Wighton very well of late. They are all complimenting each other, the wide quick balls to Sezer are making Hodgsons short play to the forwards even more dangerous.

Roosters rushing defence and high speed football will be a true test.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Hopefully we go real deep or win the comp, with Sezer continuing his recent good form. Will be great for him and his next deal, and make sure we don't carry any of his salary into next year.
He's absolutely not going to be here next year.
I will have fond memories of him regardless of the last 3 years if he can manufacture some good form in the finals.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders half Aidan Sezer fed up with contract talk

Canberra Raiders halfback Aidan Sezer discusses his future and why the Green Machine are genuine premiership contenders.

Video: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/13/sez ... ract-talk/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

PigRickman wrote: July 30, 2019, 9:31 am So let me get this straight.

Aiden Sezer has phoned in his footy at ages 25, 26 and 27, i.e his PRIME, just utterly phoned it in and hasnt even been trying, and now he has a chance to secure the

*checks notes*

golden goose that is a back up halves role at this club and a steep pay decrease, or get moved to another club for a pay decrease but not as steep, or finish his career in the ESL where he'll have his pay cut in half... that's when he begins to try?

:lol: As i said, that's utterly embarrassing
It's ridiculous really. If anything, he's now getting more ball from Hodgo and is playing behind a forward pack actually moving forward.

Nice to know people are noticing that he's playing better and more consistently though. It's good to watch.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Seiffert82 wrote:

Aiden Sezer has phoned in his footy at ages 25, 26 and 27, i.e his PRIME, just utterly phoned it in and hasnt even been trying, and now he has a chance to secure the

*checks notes*

golden goose that is a back up halves role at this club and a steep pay decrease, or get moved to another club for a pay decrease but not as steep, or finish his career in the ESL where he'll have his pay cut in half... that's when he begins to try?

It's ridiculous really. If anything, he's now getting more ball from Hodgo and is playing behind a forward pack actually moving forward.

Nice to know people are noticing that he's playing better and more consistently though. It's good to watch.
I didn’t rate his performance at all on the weekend and the forward pack was going forward!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sezer was below par on the weekend, but the service he got from his inside players was below par as well.

Hopefully the whole team take it up a notch over the next few weeks.

But the spine has been good for a while now and we weren’t disgraced by the Roosters. It was definitely glass half full on the weekend.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BJ wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:55 pm Sezer was below par on the weekend, but the service he got from his inside players was below par as well.

Hopefully the whole team take it up a notch over the next few weeks.

But the spine has been good for a while now and we weren’t disgraced by the Roosters. It was definitely glass half full on the weekend.
I'd even say the majority of our guys were below par yet we only went down by 4 points to the defending premiers and equal favourites this year. That's a decent positive to take out of the game.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

LastRaider wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:24 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:

*checks notes*

I didn’t rate his performance at all on the weekend and the forward pack was going forward!
So on the weekend he was no longer playing for a contract? Or was it just a below-par game?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 14, 2019, 4:45 pm
LastRaider wrote: August 13, 2019, 10:24 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:

*checks notes*

So on the weekend he was no longer playing for a contract? Or was it just a below-par game?
Indeed. Honestly anyone actually peddling that Bull should totally embarrassed for themselves
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Seems to be a lot of the same people peddling the same crap in that OTHER thread that just got locked.... coincidence?
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Sezer would’ve played better if he had got a lot more early ball from Hodgson!!
Hodgson slows it right down when he skips out, do the Peter panda dance then before u know it the defence is right up!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Sezer has all the skills, and is a good defender.
Seems to me it's more about confidence and willingness to inject himself into the game. Plenty of games seem to pass him by without really stamping himself on it at all really.
When he does you can see that he has plenty of ability.

So I really don't know why people are getting offended on his behalf when it's noticed that almost all of his best games for us, have been those surrounding when we have clearly signed his replacement.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Beejay wrote:Sezer has all the skills, and is a good defender.
Seems to me it's more about confidence and willingness to inject himself into the game. Plenty of games seem to pass him by without really stamping himself on it at all really.

So I really don't know why people are getting offended on his behalf when it's noticed that almost all of his best games for us, have been those surrounding when we have clearly signed his replacement.
Probably because that’s not really true?
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Beejay wrote: August 15, 2019, 10:12 am Sezer has all the skills, and is a good defender.

Because it's incorrect. It's also a bit of a history rewrite.

Sezer started the season playing well. He got injured after Round 2. The Raiders went on a winning run so Sticky did not feel inclined to change halfbacks. When Sezer did come back in, he started playing well again just about from the start. Around this time, the English fellow was signed.

Correlation =/= causation.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Lurker saying that sezer leaving is key to retaining rapana..

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Neeeegz wrote: August 15, 2019, 10:18 pm Lurker saying that sezer leaving is key to retaining rapana..

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Links are required, please.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

raiderskater wrote: August 15, 2019, 7:11 pm
Beejay wrote: August 15, 2019, 10:12 am Sezer has all the skills, and is a good defender.

Sezer started the season playing well. He got injured after Round 2. The Raiders went on a winning run so Sticky did not feel inclined to change halfbacks. When Sezer did come back in, he started playing well again just about from the start. Around this time, the English fellow was signed.

Talk about history re-write;
Sezer played the first 2 games, and was as average as you could possibly be as a half.
1 try assist, 0 linebreaks, 0 linebreak assist, 3 runs for 22m, AVG kick metres 156, 1 forced drop out, and 4 kick errors.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Stats and damned lies.

As pointed out in another thread, Croker is 4th worst center defensively or something. Yet he's not.

Don't place your entire argument on stats mate. There's more to the game than stats.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Beejay wrote: August 16, 2019, 6:14 am
raiderskater wrote: August 15, 2019, 7:11 pm

Talk about history re-write;
Sezer played the first 2 games, and was as average as you could possibly be as a half.
1 try assist, 0 linebreaks, 0 linebreak assist, 3 runs for 22m, AVG kick metres 156, 1 forced drop out, and 4 kick errors.
George Williams being signed to play here was an open secret that was being talked about by people from here to the old mother land before a ball was kicked in anger for 2019.
So what? Sezer wasnt trying to begin the season, despite the club having already agreed to his replacement, and everyone and their dog knew it, including Sezer, and only started trying because the club released an official press statement?

God, you couldnt be more full of **** if you tried, Beejay :lol:
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Well I am trying, but if I tried harder I absolutely could.
So there.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Beejay wrote: August 16, 2019, 9:26 am Well I am trying, but if I tried harder I absolutely could.
So there.
Well... touché
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Apparently I'm re-writing history, but none of you blokes were upset that Sezer was injured and we lost an in form player. Sam looked better than what we got out of Sezer after Round 5, it took more than 3 weeks for people to be sick of Sam. (Which leads into my theory that Sam Williams is the best "3-week halfback" in the NRL)

Sezer was NOT in-form in those first 2 weeks. He did barely anything.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Beejay wrote: August 16, 2019, 9:31 am Apparently I'm re-writing history, but none of you blokes were upset that Sezer was injured and we lost an in form player. Sam looked better than what we got out of Sezer after Round 5, it took more than 3 weeks for people to be sick of Sam. (Which leads into my theory that Sam Williams is the best "3-week halfback" in the NRL)

Sezer was NOT in-form in those first 2 weeks. He did barely anything.
If you're changing your position to say Sezer wasnt in form, then that's perfectly fine.
The problem is you have said time and time again:
Beejay wrote: July 30, 2019, 9:44 am Aiden Sezer HAS been phoning it in over the last 3 years. His motivation for 'why now', is between his own ears and impossible for us to determine.
Being out of form, and phoning it in are WILDLY different things
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

In my opinion he has been phoning it in over the years. Especially when you consider his potential, and what he can and has done most recently.

The first two games of this year he did barely anything, so I don't know if you want to call it phoning it in, or being out of form, or what. But it's not like he was playing well and shoving it in our faces.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

dubby wrote: August 16, 2019, 8:02 am Stats and damned lies.

As pointed out in another thread, Croker is 4th worst center defensively or something. Yet he's not.

Don't place your entire argument on stats mate. There's more to the game than stats.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
You'll also notice I posted the stats showing that when you select for 'Per game average', he's not even in the bottom 10. Pretty much smack on average defender in centre's when you look at it on average per game.

That's not an argument to say stats show everything. But you know the old saying; Can't run without stats..
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Beejay wrote: August 16, 2019, 10:00 am In my opinion he has been phoning it in over the years. Especially when you consider his potential, and what he can and has done most recently.

The first two games of this year he did barely anything, so I don't know if you want to call it phoning it in, or being out of form, or what. But it's not like he was playing well and shoving it in our faces.

So when it suits you, he's phoning it in. And when it suits you, he's just out of form. And then when it suits you, he's been replaced and is now actually trying.
None of these things need any explanation or logic, you can just blindly accuse a player for not trying without any logical rhyme or reason/

Got it. You're completely **** full of **** :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Beejay, you're reading way too much into this.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

PigRickman wrote: August 16, 2019, 10:18 am
Beejay wrote: August 16, 2019, 10:00 am In my opinion he has been phoning it in over the years. Especially when you consider his potential, and what he can and has done most recently.

So when it suits you, he's phoning it in. And when it suits you, he's just out of form. And then when it suits you, he's been replaced and is now actually trying.
None of these things need any explanation or logic, you can just blindly accuse a player for not trying without any logical rhyme or reason/

It's not when it suits me. I think he was phoning it in during 17/18.
There was only 2 games at the start of this year and he didn't play well. Call it what you like. He played to his talent when he came back into the team. Funny timing.

I don't know why you're getting so hostile about this ? Carrying on like a goose swearing like that. Are you OK?
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

PigRickman wrote: August 16, 2019, 8:36 am
George Williams being signed to play here was an open secret that was being talked about by people from here to the old mother land before a ball was kicked in anger for 2019.
So what? Sezer wasnt trying to begin the season, despite the club having already agreed to his replacement, and everyone and their dog knew it, including Sezer, and only started trying because the club released an official press statement?
Well before a ball was kicked in anger in 2019, I had no idea how our spine was going to look like come Round 26.

But by the end of that first game it was pretty clear we had a pretty handy find in the fullback, and Wighton looked good at 5/8.
By Round 5, it was burned into my heart that we will be moving forward for the foreseeable future with 1. CNK and 6. Wighton
That was absolutely not obvious before Round one.

Now the George Williams signing has only one option for a spot. And if you are at all talented in the game of musical chairs this is the part you start to get nervous.

Now that could just be a total coincidence that on his return in Round 12 Sezer played his BEST football for the club (by some distance), and was suddenly much more heavily involved.
I think there's more to it, and you're kidding yourself if you think there isn't.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Beejay wrote: August 16, 2019, 11:10 am

There was only 2 games at the start of this year and he didn't play well. Call it what you like. He played to his talent when he came back into the team. Funny timing.

I don't know why you're getting so hostile about this ? Carrying on like a goose swearing like that. Are you OK?
Im perfectly fine. I just think you're absolute full of ****.
You dont like the guy. He's not going to be here, and instead of just being happy about that, you're out here implying the guy rolled into here, collected pay cheques and didnt bust his **** for the club
And that's both disingenuous and utter Bull and it's based on nothing.

You dont need to try tar him with that **** because the signing didnt work. I think that's **** Bull and ill call it out
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

PigRickman wrote: August 16, 2019, 11:29 am
Beejay wrote: August 16, 2019, 11:10 am

Im perfectly fine. I just think you're absolute full of ****.
You dont like the guy. He's not going to be here, and instead of just being happy about that, you're out here implying the guy rolled into here, collected pay cheques and didnt bust his **** for the club
And that's both disingenuous and utter Bull and it's based on nothing.

You dont need to try tar him with that **** because the signing didnt work. I think that's **** Bull and ill call it out
Why are you so defensive about Aiden?
I wouldn't have to dig to far to find all sorts of your tantrums about other players over the years.

I don't, not like the guy. Yeah sure, I've cursed his name more than just a few times over the years. and I may have written a few letters to the club, but still.

Seriously, the game has been on the line multiple, multiple times over the years and Sezer has been absent.
I've given it a name. Your saying the signing just didn't work out.
Agree to disagree.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You'll have to search long and hard to find me accuse a player of collecting a pay cheque and not trying his best. I think i've levelled that charge at one person in the clubs history.

That's a fairly serious allegation to throw around at a professional athlete and i think you should have a little more than you own whims because you dont like him and the signing didnt work out.You can say the guy sucks, and that we should move on, or that he was never any good to begin with. That's all within the reasonable realms of your opinion, and ill go back and forth on you about that.

Glenn Buttriss and Josh McCrone were objectively dreadful footballers, who i never liked and panned regularly (and still do!) and i would never say they didnt try. They tried, and their best was found to be short of what we needed.

It's evidently clear that Aiden Sezer has absolutely tried his best to perform for this club. If his best wasnt good enough for you, that's fine.
But you dont get to say the guy hasnt tried to do his best unless you've got more than your own whim without me calling it **** Bull.