Journeymen that improve at the Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Journeymen that improve at the Raiders

Post by sprintman »

Seems that a few who haven’t done well at some clubs, find a new lease of life here. Lui, Oldfield, BJ come to mind. Is it the culture, or something else?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Journeymen that improve at the Raiders

Post by -TW- »

Colin Best is probably the top of that list

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Jason Smith

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

sprintman wrote: August 5, 2019, 6:19 pm Seems that a few who haven’t done well at some clubs, find a new lease of life here. Lui, Oldfield, BJ come to mind. Is it the culture, or something else?
Some the Canberra "lifestyle" may just fit them better. It's a bit more laid back than a Sydney or a Melbourne, easier to stay away from trouble when this is nothing fun to do in the entire city :P

Also you could argue Sia and Schifcofske are in that group too.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think journeymen do well when the culture of the team suits them.

Storm seem to have perfected this for about a decade.

Raiders have had their moments, but we are recently experiencing more Lui’s and Oldfields, than Frawley’s and Orford’s of late.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Danny Galea
John Ferguson
Dean Lance
Phil Carey
Dave Woods
Paul Osborne
Brandon Costin
Jason Williams
Scott Logan

Depends how you define "journey man" I guess.

Could add Shifcofske

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Manchild wrote: August 5, 2019, 6:25 pm Jason Smith
Was a regular in Origin and Kangaroos for many years. Basically went well wherever he played.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

This is one of those things where you remember the ones that do well far more than those who dont. The list of journeymen who have come through the club and flamed out here too would dwarf those that make it

And we've certainly had plenty of players leave the club and find success elsewhere... i think BJ nails it. Journeymen are talented by any normal persons measure, but on an elite sporting scale they are the guys who are bottom of the barrel, they need the environment, sitaiton and role they're playing to be ideal for them to perform.

Currently the club is doing a great job of identifying players who will fit and thrive into our environment.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Good replies. Appreciated
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Tyran Smith enters the room

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

I think taking a more considered approach and doing some research on what you need, who best fits, how much they cost and whether they are workers or wannabes rather than taking player A coz he came from the broncos, is perhaps a factor.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

i think the 'journeymen" who have come and been successful at our club are also the reason the club is successful.
I honestly believe the team would not be where they are without the likes of Sia

These guys have helped develop our younger players, and turned guys like papa into mature, confident players.

And the journeymen do so well here because the younger players show them respect and include them in a way that doesnt occur at all clubs
Vaccinated
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Berrigan did a decent job when he was here when he looked like he might have been finished as a player.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Conor
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Conor »

Adam Mogg!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Colin Best was a favourite of mine during 2008. He never struck me as a player who was capable of doing what he did, absolutely shredding defensive lines at will. Great entertainment
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Did we have Best and Mogg as our surprise packet, under-rated journeyman centres at the same time? I seem to remember so. Both played the season of their lives around the same time, but maybe separated by a year?
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Nah I think they were slightly apart. We lost Best after 2008.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Surely a journeyman is someone who has played for more than two clubs before coming here, otherwise he's just a normal NRL recruit.

I agree with many of those named, but I wouldn't classify the likes of Schif or Osborne as journeymen.

John Ferguson
Scott Logan
Colin Best
Scott Gale went OK
Matt Adamson was excellent when he was fit, but that didn't last long...

Sean Berrigan went OK, but was well past his prime
Phil Blake was also past his best, but filled in OK when Stuart was injured.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: August 5, 2019, 6:57 pm
Manchild wrote: August 5, 2019, 6:25 pm Jason Smith
Was a regular in Origin and Kangaroos for many years. Basically went well wherever he played.
With the Winnie Reds tucked into his socks...

JSmith always had time on his hands didn't he ? Never rushed..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think Rapa and Havili in the current squad would fit that criteria. Probably CNK too, in that he wasn't getting an opportunity at the Warriors but has taken it in both hands here. Opportunity in FG is a big part of it. Someone to have seen the underlying talent and backed the individual and then been repaid. Storm are probably best at it with Bellamy and as much as it pains me to say it, Manly have a long list as well.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Seiffert82 wrote:Surely a journeyman is someone who has played for more than two clubs before coming here, otherwise he's just a normal NRL recruit.
Yeah I agree with this. I remember some Fox commentator calling Fensom a journeyman and thinking the same thing.

3 club minimum I think to be considered a Journeyman
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

If it was a 2 club minimum, that rules Osborne from my list, and fair enough too.

I think 2 club minimum is about right.

I think Logan and Best really stood out in more recent times. They played some great footy.

We didn't have many journeymen in the 90s, aside from Phil Blake and Scott Gale. They only played 1 season each here and went ok.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Colin Best and Michael Oldfield definitely win this one now I think of it. Best’s form for us was absolutely ridiculous compared to pretty much the rest of his career. Oldfield has got better with age and his output has been better with us than any of his other NRL clubs imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Ha! Yeah I forgot Oldfield. I think he's a fine winger, but he's never come close to replicating what Best has, or Logan

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

RedRaider wrote: August 6, 2019, 7:32 am I think Rapa and Havili in the current squad would fit that criteria. Probably CNK too, in that he wasn't getting an opportunity at the Warriors but has taken it in both hands here. Opportunity in FG is a big part of it. Someone to have seen the underlying talent and backed the individual and then been repaid. Storm are probably best at it with Bellamy and as much as it pains me to say it, Manly have a long list as well.
Reckon we have a winner here. Rapana was the ultimate journeyman. Boom junior at the Titans. Went on a Mormon mission for a couple of years. Tried to crack it in Rugby Union and failed. Played in the Canberra Cup then Queensland Cup before finally getting a another go at NRL some 6 years after his debut. Went on to become the best winger in the NRL. :cmon
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I won't argue with the definition of "Journeyman" arrived at here, but I think of blokes like Clay Priest who come from nowhere, late, shine brightly at a club before moving on in pursuit of better options and disappear.
Prior to Priest there was a bloke named Bell who played centre/wing back in the day. Looked like a world beater, and was whilst here but moved on and slowly spun down the gurgler.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Lui was a pretty reasonable player at his other clubs. Oldfield has been back up here and done a good job as he did elsewhere. BJ played a GF and was in the origin squad before he joined us. I wouldn’t say any have been a total surprise.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Reasonable but was also was a defensive liability until this year. Defense has massively improved. The drops are gone. Almost never gets dominated in tackles. Best form of his career this year.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Dave Taylor
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I reckon Sam Williams is doing better at the Raiders now than he did at Wakefield Trinity, Canberra Raiders, Catalans Dragons, St George Illawarra Dragons or the Canberra Raiders
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Interesting, I never considered Sam Williams as a journeyman, but he fits my description.

I always considered him more a prodigal son, or the son that lives with their parents to save for a holiday, and comes back when he’s out of money

Nickman's love of NSW
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Interesting, I never considered Sam Williams as a journeyman, but he fits my description.

I always considered him more a prodigal son, or the son that lives with their parents to save for a holiday, and comes back when he’s out of money

interesting to see him being mooted as a future coach in an article on fox league
Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sid wrote:I reckon Sam Williams is doing better at the Raiders now than he did at Wakefield Trinity, Canberra Raiders, Catalans Dragons, St George Illawarra Dragons or the Canberra Raiders
I forgot he went to the dragons

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raiders_Pat wrote: August 7, 2019, 12:53 am Dave Taylor
That's a good one! I frikken hated his signing, but he turned out to be good quality when he was fit and his head was screwed on.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Cranky Old Man wrote: August 6, 2019, 2:03 pm I won't argue with the definition of "Journeyman" arrived at here, but I think of blokes like Clay Priest who come from nowhere, late, shine brightly at a club before moving on in pursuit of better options and disappear.
Prior to Priest there was a bloke named Bell who played centre/wing back in the day. Looked like a world beater, and was whilst here but moved on and slowly spun down the gurgler.
Mark Bell?

He was a Raiders junior wasn't he? Went to Wests and did OK. I think he also played some good footy at the Dragons.