Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Beejay
John Ferguson

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Beejay »

Ramien is choc full of potential and a real strong runner of the football. At the end of last year I would have taken him over all those players (Vs what ive seen from them this year).
However he’s burned his bridges at Newcastle in what? 9 months...
That’s some pretty red flags for his character, and there’s heaps of potential players that never get there or disrupt teams along the way.
While I’ve already made up my mind Nathan Brown is a fraud, I’m real wary of Ramien at this point.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'd take ese'ese at the right price
Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Levi is a spud.

Sure..he's better than me talent wise, I'll give him that !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ramien: like I said he has potential but we have no use for him, I just think he might be a decent player at another club one day. Just not for us.

Ese' ese: looked ok to me. Impact prop potential. If we have him it frees up Tapine to go edge and Bateman lock. We have plenty of middles so I'm not sure we'll be looking.

Levi: pass. Not sure what his strength is supposed to be. Looks like a plodder to me.

Lachlan Timm: stats look good for a squad middle. Why not if we aren't getting Collins and Hunt a game. Freshen things up, he's a bit younger.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

PigRickman wrote: August 1, 2019, 6:56 pm
zim wrote: August 1, 2019, 3:55 pm It's not a comment on his current form that's for sure :) I wouldn't be breaking the bank to sign him though. His attitude has been poor in the face of some challenges. Only 22. Still a lot to learn.
Would you trade Simmonsen or Kris for Raimen straight up?
Simo would be a hard no, and honestly... and i know im higher on Kris than most... i think id like my chances with Kris over him too.
Honestly, i just dont see much in Raimen at all. He can break tackles but he has no idea what to do defensively, his work ball in hand outside of tackling breaking is average and his decision making is appalling.

And this could easily come back to haunt me, tackle busters always have a chance... but i've seen nothing from would make me want him. He's be behind Croker, Beej, Cotric, and Kris at centre, and i dont think he can play wing, and we've got Cotric, Raps, Simo and Oldfield on the wing.
Kris most definitely.
I didnt mean to advocate in any way that Ramien comes here. As you've mentioned we're up to our eyeballs in quality centres.
But in a better system than the Knights his current defensive issues lessen considerably.
He showed that at the sharks.
Someone like manly could grab him on a good deal if they're moving on Walker. Seibold could fix some of his problems at the Broncos if Bird moves on.
He'll probably end up somewhere like the dogs though.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Kris will be overtaken by Harley Smith Sheilds next year easily!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

We don’t need or want Ramien but he’s a much better player than Kris.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

julian87 wrote:We don’t need or want Ramien but he’s a much better player than Kris.
Spot on

And much more expensive too

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Ramien is average and always has been, never got the hype around him

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

-PJ- wrote: August 1, 2019, 8:24 pm Levi is a spud.

Sure..he's better than me talent wise, I'll give him that !!
Maybe talent wise but attitude and dedication?
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Ramien could easily be a BJ type player that bounces around a little until he matures a bit. We dont need him, we have outside backs covered.

Levi is a solid #2 type hooker. If you have a Smith, Hodgson, Cook, etc, and Levi as your backup you are pretty happy. Now, we have Havili, which is good, and Starling looked ok in limited opportunities, but a genuine #2 wouldnt be out of the question. That said, he will want more money than he is worth.

2Ese is a solid impact prop. However, Bronx let him walk because his defence was questionable, also the $$$ Knight threw at him. Defense is also Browns gripe with him.

Lachlan Timm could easily replace any depth middle and it would at least give potential for upside due to his age.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Obviously you guys have never watched what we have coming through. Patterson probably has more potential than Starling. Do yourselves a favour and get to the home games 70 minutes earlier. Then you may see why we dont need second stringers or has beens. Agree with Lachlan Timm. Needs an opportunity but i think we already have enough forwards. Have a look at the pack mounties produce each week!

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Just on Kris I rated him highly last year but he hasn't jumped up like I thought he would.
There's a good foundation there but to me he looks like he needs a few years building up some fitness to allow him to get more involved and be more explosive. Could do with some confidence too.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Watched Kris again yesterday as i thought the same. Smith Sheilds has him covered easily. I thought Hingano definitely needed the run after long time off with injury. Struggled late in the both halves.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

At full strength we have Oldfield and Simonssen in reserve for our 3/4 line. Wouldn't go astray to have one more capable of filling in 1st grade. Such a person would be a current reserve grade and these roster moves happen post season when clubs re-jig squads.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

A good mate of mine is involved in the Raiders management, he rarely talks up players as he has seen so many promising players surge and fade over the years but he has a HUGE opinion of Smith Shields. Future International is his opinion.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Another one I’d sign for life just going by his name. It’s a good one

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Northern Raider wrote:At full strength we have Oldfield and Simonssen in reserve for our 3/4 line. Wouldn't go astray to have one more capable of filling in 1st grade. Such a person would be a current reserve grade and these roster moves happen post season when clubs re-jig squads.
Not on the last 7 weeks performance from mounties! Hence why Harley was upgraded to a development player before June 30.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He has been very, very good every time I see him play.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Another one I’d sign for life just going by his name. It’s a good one

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I always liked Cleveland McGhee... thought it was the coolest name I ever heard

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Ronny P wrote: August 4, 2019, 3:58 pm
Northern Raider wrote:At full strength we have Oldfield and Simonssen in reserve for our 3/4 line. Wouldn't go astray to have one more capable of filling in 1st grade. Such a person would be a current reserve grade and these roster moves happen post season when clubs re-jig squads.
Not on the last 7 weeks performance from mounties! Hence why Harley was upgraded to a development player before June 30.

I've not seen Mounties much this year so can't comment on form. If he's on the roster as a development player then we could still accommodate an additional experienced player. Never know when you might jag another CNK.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Ramien is the type of player I could see end up at the Storm and become a world beater....while we don't have a need for him at Canberra, I rate him highly.
Mbiec
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Mbiec »

With the club likely to look towards retention for the 2020 season, I think the clubs best 17 is already mostly at the club.

But one player I’ve wanted us to sign before and still strongly believe we should go after is Lachlan Timm from the Dragons. He’s a young Queensland prop and has played above his weight in the QLD cup with the Falcons and he’s now killing it in the Canterbury Cup with Illawarra. Tremendous young forward, who would cost minimum wage I would imagine. He’s NRL ready and I think he could challenge for a spot in the 17 and he’d be a standout contributor for the Mounties.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Mbiec wrote: August 5, 2019, 3:53 pm With the club likely to look towards retention for the 2020 season, I think the clubs best 17 is already mostly at the club.

But one player I’ve wanted us to sign before and still strongly believe we should go after is Lachlan Timm from the Dragons. He’s a young Queensland prop and has played above his weight in the QLD cup with the Falcons and he’s now killing it in the Canterbury Cup with Illawarra. Tremendous young forward, who would cost minimum wage I would imagine. He’s NRL ready and I think he could challenge for a spot in the 17 and he’d be a standout contributor for the Mounties.
I posted his stats a few days ago. Should definitely be looked at
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

sprintman wrote: August 5, 2019, 3:59 pm
Mbiec wrote: August 5, 2019, 3:53 pm With the club likely to look towards retention for the 2020 season, I think the clubs best 17 is already mostly at the club.

How does he compare to Luke PAGE?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Finchy wrote: August 5, 2019, 4:03 pm

Id say pretty GOOD.
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

Just heard that all our current pommies have there managers flying over soon to upgrade there contracts to longer deals 😍😝🤪😋
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Anyone suggesting ramien must think we have money to spare in a position we have filled with 4 guys this year, we don't need a right centre lol

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Finchy wrote:

Timm the page ?

sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Any rumours or goss on players we are interested in?
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins

Post by Bennyinthewest »

Sprintman ya think it needed a bump?

Remember years ago, when the only time I would get excited about the Raiders.....was when I saw a new comment in the signing speculation thread.....And for a moment I would give just about anything in hope that we signed someone decent

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by BJ »

Bennyinthewest wrote:Sprintman ya think it needed a bump? Image

Remember years ago, when the only time I would get excited about the Raiders.....was when I saw a new comment in the signing speculation thread.....And for a moment I would give just about anything in hope that we signed someone decent Image

Oh wow. We’ve signed Craig Frawley and Kris Kahler. Things are looking up.

Those were the days.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

sprintman wrote:Any rumours or goss on players we are interested in?
Jack Hetherington and George Williams, done.
Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BJ wrote:
Bennyinthewest wrote:Sprintman ya think it needed a bump? Image

Remember years ago, when the only time I would get excited about the Raiders.....was when I saw a new comment in the signing speculation thread.....And for a moment I would give just about anything in hope that we signed someone decent Image

Oh wow. We’ve signed Craig Frawley and Kris Kahler. Things are looking up.

Those were the days.
Hearing Nigel Plum has signed mid season

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

If I were pretty much any club in the NRL I'd be targeting Arrow in the off season. I don't expect us to have a crack because it will be out of our price range presumably. But he's at a crap club going through a rebuild and he's off contract after the 2020 season. Perfect scenario for a club to sign for 2021 and force an early release.