Congratulations to Jarrod Croker on his 250th match!

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Congratulations to Jarrod Croker on his 250th match!

Post by greeneyed »

This is a thread to congratulate Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker on his 250th match in green this weekend! It’s a thread to say how much you appreciate his contributions to the club and reflect on some of you favourite moments from his career so far!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Congratulations to Jarrod Croker on his 250th match!

Post by greeneyed »

I’ll start. First time I saw Jarrod Croker play was in junior reps out at Seiffert Oval. You could tell straight away he’d be a first grader and I thought a rep player. He deserves to have had a shot at the Blues and Kangaroos, hopefully that’s still to come.

The top try and point scorer in the club’s history, a great player and an absolute credit to the club as captain on and off the field.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

250 is a big effort! Congratulations to him - hope he has a blinder.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Most players who strap on the boots dont ever sniff getting out of their local club team, least of all be identified as a major talent by an NRL scout, be placed in a junior system and excel at every step of that development despite being significantly younger than most, to the point where he was promoted to FG at the age of about 18, where he's stayed every since, breaking point scoring records and trending very much towards retiring as the greatest point scorer in the code's history.

That's an incredible career, made even more incredible because it's been achieved by a guy who apparently can't pass, can't kick, can't tackle and is a **** captain.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

God, I remember when he was the team baby with those awful frosted tips.

And now he's our club captain and playing his 250th game. Wow.

I hope we get him a proper celebration this weekend!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: August 5, 2019, 2:16 pm I’ll start. First time I saw Jarrod Croker play was in junior reps out at Seiffert Oval. You could tell straight away he’d be a first grader and I thought a rep player. He deserves to have had a shot at the Blues and Kangaroos, hopefully that’s still to come.

The top try and point scorer in the club’s history, a great player and an absolute credit to the club as captain on and off the field.
Yeah, remember watching him in the U20's comp back in 2008. He was always dependable but didn't get the same attention as some of the 'stars' like Dugan, Vidot, Picker and Carney. Then watched him play for Souths Logan in the pre-season curtain raiser for the Raiders vs Dogs trial at Logan Reserve. That was the first time I thought he looked genuine first grade talent. There was something about the way he moved across the turf. Ran great lines and had an almost effortless change of direction to wrong foot the defense.

Interestingly of that team that won the 2008 U20s comp only him, Dugan and Fensom turned in successful NRL careers. Shows how hard it is for the top juniors to transition into the NRL.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

PigRickman wrote: August 5, 2019, 2:31 pm Most players who strap on the boots dont ever sniff getting out of their local club team, least of all be identified as a major talent by an NRL scout, be placed in a junior system and excel at every step of that development despite being significantly younger than most, to the point where he was promoted to FG at the age of about 18, where he's stayed every since, breaking point scoring records and trending very much towards retiring as the greatest point scorer in the code's history.

That's an incredible career, made even more incredible because it's been achieved by a guy who apparently can't pass, can't kick, can't tackle and is a **** captain.
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Just call him Shane Watson. Ill bet when capt challenges become a thing, he will hog those too.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 5, 2019, 3:01 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 5, 2019, 2:16 pm I’ll start. First time I saw Jarrod Croker play was in junior reps out at Seiffert Oval. You could tell straight away he’d be a first grader and I thought a rep player. He deserves to have had a shot at the Blues and Kangaroos, hopefully that’s still to come.

Yeah, remember watching him in the U20's comp back in 2008. He was always dependable but didn't get the same attention as some of the 'stars' like Dugan, Vidot, Picker and Carney. Then watched him play for Souths Logan in the pre-season curtain raiser for the Raiders vs Dogs trial at Logan Reserve. That was the first time I thought he looked genuine first grade talent. There was something about the way he moved across the turf. Ran great lines and had an almost effortless change of direction to wrong foot the defense.

Interestingly of that team that won the 2008 U20s comp only him, Dugan and Fensom turned in successful NRL careers. Shows how hard it is for the top juniors to transition into the NRL.
Successful Raiders NRL careers, but you forgot Lui, who was playing for the Bronco's at the time.

Pretty sure Hoffman (journeyman TBF, but 189 NRL games, 5 internationals), Yow Yeh (injury cut it short, but played Origin), Hunt, McGuire, McCullough and Glenn would argue otherwise too.

Justin Carney had/ has a pretty successful ESL career.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Matt wrote: August 5, 2019, 3:28 pm

Successful Raiders NRL careers, but you forgot Lui, who was playing for the Bronco's at the time.

Pretty sure Hoffman (journeyman TBF, but 189 NRL games, 5 internationals), Yow Yeh (injury cut it short, but played Origin), Hunt, McGuire, McCullough and Glenn would argue otherwise too.

Were Lui, Hoffman, Yow Yeh, Hunt, McGuire, McCullough, Glenn, playing for the team that won the 2008 U20's comp? Because he did say "of that team that won the 2008 U20s comp", not "anyone that played for any U20's team in 2008".
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Finchy wrote: August 5, 2019, 3:34 pm

Were Lui, Hoffman, Yow Yeh, Hunt, McGuire, McCullough, Glenn, playing for the team that won the 2008 U20's comp? Because he did say "of that team that won the 2008 U20s comp", not "anyone that played for any U20's team in 2008".
Thanks Finchy

.....but you have denied me the chance to put the boot into Matt. :(
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: August 5, 2019, 1:58 pm
This is a thread to congratulate Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker on his 250th match in green this weekend! It’s a thread to say how much you appreciate his contributions to the club and reflect on some of you favourite moments from his career so far!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

250 already, seems like yesterday he debuted

Hoping he has 70 more points in him before the end of the year to crack 2000 as well.

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Sorry boss...

My favourite moments of Croker's career:

- Every single try saving tackle/kick clean up/intercept, of which far, far exceed any try causes. Incredible plays for a guy who cant tackle and is a defensive liability.
- Every masterfully executed pass, be it a simple draw and pass, or those amazing flick passes or weird passes in heavy traffic after cutting back into the teeth of the defence to give his winger the space to score. A lot of wingers have scored a lot of tries outside Croker. Truly remarkable given he cant pass
- Every clutch goal kick, or goal kick in general. This is a career 80% kicker, who has nearly half of his seasons ending in the mid 80's for kick %... Outrageously good for a guy who can't kick.
- Winning Dally M captain of the year, hearing how each and every coach and player who has ever played with the guy speaks about his leadership, his commitment and the example he sets for the club and playing group. We've had some tremendously big personalities in his time at the club and every single to a man is glowing in their praise of him as a captain and leader. Every coach he's played under has extolled his virtues not only as a footballer but as a leader too. Which is utterly remarkable given he's actually a **** captain.

Love the bloke.
Last edited by Botman on August 5, 2019, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: August 5, 2019, 3:45 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 5, 2019, 1:58 pm
Congratulations Jarrod Croker on your 250th match. I appreciate your contributions to the club, and liked the time you scored lots of tries and kicked lots of goals.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

PigRickman wrote: August 5, 2019, 3:58 pm Sorry boss...

My favourite moments of Croker's career:

- Every single try saving tackle/kick clean up/intercept, of which far, far exceed any try causes. Incredible plays for a guy who cant tackle and is a defensive liability.
- Every masterfully executed pass, be it a simple draw and pass, or those amazing flick passes or weird passes in heavy traffic after cutting back into the teeth of the defence to give his winger the space to score. A lot of wingers have scored a lot of tries outside Croker. Truly remarkable given he cant pass
- Every clutch goal kick, or goal kick in general. This is a career 80% kicker, who has nearly half of his seasons ending in the mid 80's for kick %... Outrageously good for a guy who can't kick.
- Winning Dally M captain of the year, hearing how each and every coach and player who has ever played with the guy speaks about his leadership, his commitment and the example he sets for the club and playing group. We've had some tremendously big personalities in his time at the club and every single to a man is glowing in their praise of him as a captain and leader. Every coach he's played under has extolled his virtues not only as a footballer but as a leader too. Which is utterly remarkable given he's actually a **** captain.

Love the bloke.
So in summary,

- Can tackle
- Can pass
- Can kick
- Great captain

?
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

I think watching him develop has been one of my greatest pleasures of my years supporting this club. Because yeah, back when he started, he was more than just a defensive liability. And I'll never forget his heartbroken face when he missed ~that~ goal.

But what I like most about him, is that when you knock him down, he comes back up twice as tough. He's worked on his defence (having not-trash players outside and inside has definitely helped) until he's no worse than any other top centre; he's worked on his goal-kicking so that his name is now synonymous with accuracy. He slides through gaps that aren't there, has developed a frickin' lethal flick pass that other teams STILL can't adequately counter, and under the high ball there are few safer. He can pickpocket and intercept as good as anyone in the game.

And most of all, he has developed into a genuine leader of our club. He will be here for the rest of his career, and it will have been an honour to have him and watch him play.

Well done, skip. May there be many, many more to come.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 5, 2019, 3:41 pm
Finchy wrote: August 5, 2019, 3:34 pm

Thanks Finchy

.....but you have denied me the chance to put the boot into Matt. :(
Technicalities :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

One thing I always loved seeing was Croker chase a high ball and catch it clean away from the fullback to score. Haven't seen that for a long time. Is it due to his knee problems? I recall when he last did his knee in the game he went to jump up and just went straight to ground.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Northern Raider wrote: August 5, 2019, 4:26 pm One thing I always loved seeing was Croker chase a high ball and catch it clean away from the fullback to score. Haven't seen that for a long time. Is it due to his knee problems? I recall when he last did his knee in the game he went to jump up and just went straight to ground.
Nah, it's mostly been because other teams realised how lethal it was for them and started running him off the ball.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

raiderskater wrote: August 5, 2019, 4:37 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 5, 2019, 4:26 pm One thing I always loved seeing was Croker chase a high ball and catch it clean away from the fullback to score. Haven't seen that for a long time. Is it due to his knee problems? I recall when he last did his knee in the game he went to jump up and just went straight to ground.
Nah, it's mostly been because other teams realised how lethal it was for them and started running him off the ball.
That certainly was the case in recent seasons. This year refs are much tougher on it. Thing is I'm not seeing the play being attempted lately. Not even seeing Croker getting run off the ball. Wondering if it's been coached well down the list of 5th tackle options.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Like a fine wine': Jarrod Croker's Canberra Raiders teammates pay tribute ahead of 250th

Canberra will be out to complete a hat-trick of wins in milestone matches in as many weeks, as they look to celebrate co-captain Jarrod Croker's 250th NRL game.

"I'm desperate (to win for Croker). He's done a lot in this green jersey and if we can't get up for this game for Jarrod, I don't know what we can get up for," Josh Papalii said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/05/lik ... -of-250th/

Just like a fine wine, Jarrod Croker's aging well

Like a fine wine, Jarrod Croker just keeps getting better. And the scary things is the Canberra Raiders co-captain is still young.

" 'Toots' is definitely a player who's worn this jersey with pride," Papalii said. "He just seems like he's getting better each year. The older he gets - it's just like a fine wine.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

250 games at 28 is pretty amazing.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Congrats Jarrod! The article on NRL.com was pretty good too, recommended read, particularly by the people who work with him every week and love the guy. Puts a lot of the arm chair experts of the forums to shame you would hope but I'm sure they won't read it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Congrats to the captain. He has represented our club well, through some very challenging times. Fingers crossed he can continue enjoying playing good football in a successful Raiders team through to the end of his career.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

When Jarrod came into the team it was at the back end of a tumultuous few years with the repeated Todd Carney sagas, but we had a bright looking future with the premiership winning under 20s team coming through featuring an abundance of talent.
We then saw the emergence of Campo and it seemed we were going to come through it all OK until it all started to fall apart again. Over the next few years we would see a string of off field incidents decimate the club, and it seemed that we were always waiting to hear bad news.
But through that whole period Jarrod Croker seemed to stick it out with all of us, showing a far greater character than many in the team and developing into a fantastic player, as well as one of the great role models.
He has been someone we have been able to support truly as one of our own, he loves the club and makes you proud to be a fan. I think this journey has really contributed to the esteem he is held in by the fan base and it's just fantastic to see him breaking records in a successful team finally, the man deserves nothing less and I truly hope he finishes his career in green as a premiership winner.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I wish there was a Like button for posts. I'd hit Like on hobbsy's above.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

A credit to himself and the club. Let's hope we celebrate a trifecta of milestone wins in consecutive weeks.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I was actually at the game where he won the rams final with the under 20s team. Watching the whole team play together was amazing and I have followed his progression ever since.

He has amazing balance and this creates a huge amount of opportunities in attack as he tip toes his way through the defensive line.

It is clear that as captain he carries the weight of he team on his shoulders and feels responsible for every game we lose. He bleeds green and nothing would make me happier than seeing him lift the trophy on grand final day.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Congrats to the skip..

In 20yrs time Jarrods will be talked about in the same company as a lot of our champions..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jarrod Croker poised to play 250th NRL game for Canberra Raiders

Jarrod Croker will play his 250th NRL game when he leads the Raiders in a top four showdown against the Sydney Roosters at Canberra Stadium on Sunday.

"I don't want to get too excited or too carried away, it's still just a game of football and I don't want to kick up a song and dance about it all.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Raiders to rally for skipper's NRL 250th: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/raiders-to ... 87f8854bf9
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

hobbsy wrote: August 5, 2019, 6:44 pm When Jarrod came into the team it was at the back end of a tumultuous few years with the repeated Todd Carney sagas, but we had a bright looking future with the premiership winning under 20s team coming through featuring an abundance of talent.
We then saw the emergence of Campo and it seemed we were going to come through it all OK until it all started to fall apart again. Over the next few years we would see a string of off field incidents decimate the club, and it seemed that we were always waiting to hear bad news.
But through that whole period Jarrod Croker seemed to stick it out with all of us, showing a far greater character than many in the team and developing into a fantastic player, as well as one of the great role models.
He has been someone we have been able to support truly as one of our own, he loves the club and makes you proud to be a fan. I think this journey has really contributed to the esteem he is held in by the fan base and it's just fantastic to see him breaking records in a successful team finally, the man deserves nothing less and I truly hope he finishes his career in green as a premiership winner.
That is a wonderful post, Hobbsy.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cranky Old Man wrote: August 6, 2019, 5:50 pm
hobbsy wrote: August 5, 2019, 6:44 pm When Jarrod came into the team it was at the back end of a tumultuous few years with the repeated Todd Carney sagas, but we had a bright looking future with the premiership winning under 20s team coming through featuring an abundance of talent.
That is a wonderful post, Hobbsy.
:clap:
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

O Captain! My Captain!Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders co-captains Jarrod Croker and Josh Hodgson on Croker's 250th match in green this Sunday! WIN News Canberra reports... http://ow.ly/5YTm50vp94b

#NRL  #WeAreRaiders  #wearecbr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Oh god, the hair. The hair. I wonder if he ever looks back on those pictures and cringes...