Picking on form

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Picking on form

Post by Billy Walker »

Curious for views on whether there could be a scenario this season where a player is picked on form rather than reputation. If BJ and Cotric are available this week I think they should and will be selected.

What happens if for some reason the team team misfires. We currently look like world beaters after touching up the Warriors, but for whatever reason the balance changes and in 3 weeks time we are suddenly looking clunky and stuck in struggle town.

I don’t expect this will be the case but if that did happen do you think Ricky would consider going back to Oldie and Simmonsen over the more favoured and experienced players?

It would be a massive call but no stranger than Peter Siddle getting a start over Starc and Hazlewood in the cricket!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Re: Picking on form

Post by Billy Walker »

FWIW I think Ricky will stick with experience but geez Simmonsen has been good!
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Cotric comes in for oldie no doubt, I’d be putting leilua on the bench this week and having Simonsson keep his spot. March fitness will be an issue for Joey I think and bailey deserves his spot.

From then on I’m undecided as to whether to carry bailey on the bench. We never really got to see it used as Ricky intended due to in game injuries. Will back whatever call Ricky and the coaching staff make, but that’s my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Danaman137 wrote: August 4, 2019, 12:47 am Cotric comes in for oldie no doubt, I’d be putting leilua on the bench this week and having Simonsson keep his spot. March fitness will be an issue for Joey I think and bailey deserves his spot.

From then on I’m undecided as to whether to carry bailey on the bench. We never really got to see it used as Ricky intended due to in game injuries. Will back whatever call Ricky and the coaching staff make, but that’s my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I too would be playing Leilua off the bench against the Roosters with Simonsson keeping his spot on the wing. In the following week, I'd have Leilua at centre with Cotric going back to the wing and Simonsson moving to the utility interchange spot.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Come Finals, if full strength I see us rolling with the below.

2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana

17. Simonsson
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

@Greeneyed

Merge this one with the Croker thread, thanks in advanced

Xoxo
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: August 4, 2019, 12:22 pm @Greeneyed

Xoxo
Nah I wasn’t going there. I didn’t actually have a player in mind it was more about how good Simmonsen has been going and whether that hard to define thing called mojo or team balance plays a role in success.

If anyone it would be how BJ returns that worries me. If he’s anywhere near his form before his injury it’s happy days, but it would be understandable if confidence and fitness were down. I also think he’s a big personality which can be both a good and bad thing.

Cotric is an Origin winger already and could end up being anything! I’ll happily wager he will end his career a far superior player to Simmonsen. But what if he comes back from his suspension in a major form slump and can’t shake it?

I think we will line up as Wiki Special has suggested, I think that is our strongest backline and I expect it to fire. My question was more about what if it doesn’t. Do you there is any scenario where Ricky might have to consider the form lines and going back to something that isn’t as sexy but was working?

My feel is we would more than likely stick with the big names and live and die by their form but it would be an interesting selection meeting if they were stinking it up while Oldie and Simmo continued to carve up all comers in Mounties.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:@Greeneyed

Xoxo
Hahaha beat me to it, ****
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: August 4, 2019, 1:17 pm

Xoxo
You blokes are verging on paranoid! Croker is part of a team that is in form and going along nicely - Let’s focus purely on Cotric and BJ. Both are more than likely going to have bigger and better careers than Simmonsen will have and you have to pick both over Simmonsen.

I’m talking about the Latrell Mitchell situation. Cleary the best centre in the game and likely will be for the next 10 years but for whatever reason his form was down in game 1 of Origin so Freddy went with Jack who got the job done.

Jack is great but he’s unlikely to end up the same class as Mitchell. I think Freddy made the right call.

My question is, if Cotric or BJ can’t get into top gear over the next 3 or 4 games and it’s costing us in results, do you think Ricky might go back to what was working at pick Simmonsen?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana

Only injury or suspension will see that changed
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: August 4, 2019, 1:41 pm 2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana

I suspect you’re right. Cotric should slot back in no worries, BJ may take a little more time.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Wiki Special wrote: August 4, 2019, 12:19 pm Come Finals, if full strength I see us rolling with the below.

2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana

17. Simonsson
There's no way we are carrying a winger on the bench.

Old Bailey has been sensational, he really has..but he's playing reserve grade..

The finals are 6 weeks away..Leilua and Cotric will be playing.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Looking to the future I would be questioning keeping BJ and Rapana. Letting those to go would free up major cap space to keep Bateman and a few others.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Riaan wrote: August 4, 2019, 2:44 pm Looking to the future I would be questioning keeping BJ and Rapana. Letting those to go would free up major cap space to keep Bateman and a few others.
What ?
Seriously ?
Ya better talk pal...
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

-PJ- wrote: August 4, 2019, 2:44 pm
Wiki Special wrote: August 4, 2019, 12:19 pm Come Finals, if full strength I see us rolling with the below.

2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana

17. Simonsson

Old Bailey has been sensational, he really has..but he's playing reserve grade..

I appreciate your opinion but I am not so sure. My reasoning is that I expect Papa and Tapine to be playing 55 minutes each in the big games and 3 middles on the bench will be enough cover.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Wiki Special wrote: August 4, 2019, 3:53 pm

2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana

17. Simonsson

I appreciate your opinion but I am not so sure. My reasoning is that I expect Papa and Tapine to be playing 55 minutes each in the big games and 3 middles on the bench will be enough cover.
I appreciate your input as well Wiki..

I just don't see the plus side of having a wingman on the pine..it covers an injury in the backline. No other club does it, it's not thought about. We have Whitehead and Bateman who can both cover centre. It pushes Croker to the wing if needed. Hey..I'm damn proud of Old Baileys effort..he's been great and done a fine job..faultless really. But in reality..we are about to get BJ and Cotric back..someone misses out and I'm sure I'm not alone when I say both Oldbeard and OldBailey will go.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

-PJ- wrote: August 4, 2019, 4:03 pm

2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana

17. Simonsson

I just don't see the plus side of having a wingman on the pine..it covers an injury in the backline. No other club does it, it's not thought about. We have Whitehead and Bateman who can both cover centre. It pushes Croker to the wing if needed. Hey..I'm damn proud of Old Baileys effort..he's been great and done a fine job..faultless really. But in reality..we are about to get BJ and Cotric back..someone misses out and I'm sure I'm not alone when I say both Oldbeard and OldBailey will go.
Cheers for the response mate.

Yes, I would certainly agree my opinion is likely a minority view in these parts. Just think seeing Bailey on the bench earlier in the year as well as Kris for a game or two could be a precursor to something Ricky may do again.

And I definitely want to see Joey Leilua have a game off the bench coming back into the NRL.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

-PJ- wrote: August 4, 2019, 2:52 pm
Riaan wrote: August 4, 2019, 2:44 pm Looking to the future I would be questioning keeping BJ and Rapana. Letting those to go would free up major cap space to keep Bateman and a few others.
What ?
Seriously ?
Ya better talk pal...
Cotric in for BJ, Rapana for 500k a year is poor value when you consider his current form. Oldfield or a new signing would give us similar return.
Hodgson and Bateman are who we should be building our team around for the next few years, next year Hodgson should be stand alone captain as well. We need to be getting ready to offer big contracts to those blokes. How long has it been since you’ve watched a raiders team that competes like this??
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Billy Walker wrote:

Xoxo
You blokes are verging on paranoid! Croker is part of a team that is in form and going along nicely - Let’s focus purely on Cotric and BJ. Both are more than likely going to have bigger and better careers than Simmonsen will have and you have to pick both over Simmonsen.

I’m talking about the Latrell Mitchell situation. Cleary the best centre in the game and likely will be for the next 10 years but for whatever reason his form was down in game 1 of Origin so Freddy went with Jack who got the job done.

Jack is great but he’s unlikely to end up the same class as Mitchell. I think Freddy made the right call.

My question is, if Cotric or BJ can’t get into top gear over the next 3 or 4 games and it’s costing us in results, do you think Ricky might go back to what was working at pick Simmonsen?
Have to reason that the next 3 games are against top 5 teams,
then a sharks side getting players back from injury, who should be playing better in 3 weeks time.
I think we have the toughest run into the finals you could imagine at the moment. And it'll go one of two ways for us

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Neeeegz wrote: August 4, 2019, 6:25 pm
Billy Walker wrote:

Xoxo

Have to reason that the next 3 games are against top 5 teams,
then a sharks side getting players back from injury, who should be playing better in 3 weeks time.
I think we have the toughest run into the finals you could imagine at the moment. And it'll go one of two ways for us

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That’s a fair point- even if we do struggle the next few weeks it will have been against teams a step up in class. Nothing to say Oldfield and Simmonsen may not have struggled a worse. It would need to be something fairly dramatic for Ricky not to go with his big names I think.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy's matchups vs Matt's matchups?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Id play bj off the bench. Can you imagine bj coming on after 25mins. Would have such a major impact
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Riaan wrote: August 4, 2019, 4:44 pm
-PJ- wrote: August 4, 2019, 2:52 pm
What ?
Seriously ?
Ya better talk pal...
Cotric in for BJ, Rapana for 500k a year is poor value when you consider his current form. Oldfield or a new signing would give us similar return.
Hodgson and Bateman are who we should be building our team around for the next few years, next year Hodgson should be stand alone captain as well. We need to be getting ready to offer big contracts to those blokes. How long has it been since you’ve watched a raiders team that competes like this??
I sure Hope we’re not offering Rapana $500k!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: August 4, 2019, 4:03 pm

2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana

17. Simonsson

Storm - Papenhuyzen.

The 1 time we did it, Rapa lasted 20mins and Simmo was on.

FWIW, Id be very tempted to play him off the bench. We have big min forwards at our disposal in Whitehead, Bateman, Papalii, Tapine, Soliola, Sutton. We dont need 3 big boppas on the bench. As it is Havili is only playing 20mins, and one of the other middles is only playing 20-30mins (Tapine/ Guler/ Horsburgh/ Young).

Look at the Storm bench, BSmith, Papenhuyzen, Welch (just did his ACL so will be a different prop), Stimson. Thats a hooker playing middle, a back playing middle, and a backrower playing middle with 1 prop. They are 6pts clear on the table. They have been the dominant force in the NRL for a decade - yes partially superior players, but the coach is pretty good too. I think assessing their model and recreating it where we can is a good idea.

Havili is a poor mans BSmith, but he more than capable.
Why cant Simmo or BJ play a similar role to Papenhuyzen?
We have Sutton and Lui off the bench as genuine middles too.

Alternatively, drop one of Havili or Lui and keep a Horse, Young or Guler.

This kinda thinking just shows how good our squad is ATM.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

This is in addition to my comment above.

The more I think about it the more I think we should go that way. So:
1. CNK
2. Simmo
3. Toots
4. Cotric
5. Rapa
6. Jack
7. Sezer
8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Sia
11. Bateo
12. Whitey
13. Tarpz

14. Havili (aka BSmith)
15. BJ (aka Papenhuysen)
16. Sutton
17. Lui

As plenty of people have said, at least 1 benchie only plays 20mins a game. There is also at least 1 player who often only plays 30-35mins, again, could be Havili or BJ. Interestingly, for us, Ricky often has 2 plays sub 25mins. Here are the low mins from the past 3 wks:

vs Warriors: Havili 23mins, Sia 23mins (is that correct?), Guler 33mins, Horsbough 34mins
vs Panthers: Guler 16mins, Havili 23mins, Horburgh 34mins, Sia 35mins, Tarpz 37mins
vs Tigers: Havili 17mins, Guler 18mins, Horsburgh 28mins

In other words, no reason to believe we cant carry 2 utilities on the bench. Esp with Sutton returning, who has proved he is a big min forward. This is what the Storm are doing, and no reason we cant. We still have plenty of versatility in that side too, with Tapine, Papa, Sutton and Sia capable on the edge, to go with hooker/ half cover in Havili, and a genuine back.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Matt wrote: August 5, 2019, 1:49 pm This is in addition to my comment above.

1. CNK
2. Simmo
3. Toots
4. Cotric
5. Rapa
6. Jack
7. Sezer
8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Sia
11. Bateo
12. Whitey
13. Tarpz

14. Havili (aka BSmith)
15. BJ (aka Papenhuysen)
16. Sutton
17. Lui

As plenty of people have said, at least 1 benchie only plays 20mins a game. There is also at least 1 player who often only plays 30-35mins, again, could be Havili or BJ. Interestingly, for us, Ricky often has 2 plays sub 25mins. Here are the low mins from the past 3 wks:

vs Warriors: Havili 23mins, Sia 23mins (is that correct?), Guler 33mins, Horsbough 34mins
vs Panthers: Guler 16mins, Havili 23mins, Horburgh 34mins, Sia 35mins, Tarpz 37mins

In other words, no reason to believe we cant carry 2 utilities on the bench. Esp with Sutton returning, who has proved he is a big min forward. This is what the Storm are doing, and no reason we cant. We still have plenty of versatility in that side too, with Tapine, Papa, Sutton and Sia capable on the edge, to go with hooker/ half cover in Havili, and a genuine back.
I’m not hating that Matt, but I would question if having two utilities has potential to cause disruption to the balance of the team. Replacements obviously work best where a player can bust himself for however long and sub out once he’s cooked. I worry BJ would be filling a roll where it’s more about tactically throwing him into the game at times. I worry it might take some players 80 mins to put a complete performance together. As a back or big minute forward, if you make an early error and know that you only have 20 minutes
more to do something before likely being replaced it could upset your thinking rather than knowing you’re out there for 80 minutes to do a job.

Not sure I’ve explained it well or if it even is much of a concern but i just wonder if we could suffer from too much of a good thing if we keep trying to get as many talented players on the field over the 80 mins rather than make a call on the who is best fit for the game and give them a decent shot at it.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Matt wrote: August 5, 2019, 1:49 pm This is in addition to my comment above.

1. CNK
2. Simmo
3. Toots
4. Cotric
5. Rapa
6. Jack
7. Sezer
8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Sia
11. Bateo
12. Whitey
13. Tarpz

14. Havili (aka BSmith)
15. BJ (aka Papenhuysen)
16. Sutton
17. Lui

I have been thinking the same since earlier in the season. And that leaves Sutton, Lui, Horsburgh, Havili and Young fighting for 3 spots. I have Sutton as a definite and Guler not in the conversation as he appears a rung below but has improved since the start of the year.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

If we run a back on the bench in one game or max 2 games to help BJ Leilua return to football, then great. It serves a purpose and if he's near his best, he's the kind of blockbusting-dummy half running- offloading weapon that can really offer something from the bench.

As a long term tactic, I say no. BJ belongs starting (exception noted above). We have no one else who is good enough to make that role a must. Simonsson is a good player but he's not a huge attacking threat. As a finisher he is a notable step below Rapana, even half busted Rapana. As a runner he doesn't break the line regularly compared to someone like Jack or Cotric. One try against a dispirited Warriors aside, I've actually still been waiting to see him do anything in open space or punch through the line on his own. He's a solid FG winger but he's not yet tearing sides up or showing me instinctive support play like a Rapana or Papenhuzen etc.

So yes, if we need to do it to get Joey back on deck for finals. Long term, no I don't like it unless we have a perfect weapon for it.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Didn’t think Raps or Cotric had their greatest games on the weekend but also didn’t think Simmonsen did enough to put any genuine pressure on either of their wing spots.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana

Also if we are picking on form I like this as well.

Cotric will be better with croker on the left and our right edge can go back to being awesome as opposed to right now where they are not really.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

papabear wrote: August 12, 2019, 2:22 pm
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana

Cotric will be better with croker on the left and our right edge can go back to being awesome as opposed to right now where they are not really.
I’d agree - would have been interesting had Simmonsen played out of skin and made a thousand line breaks but he just didn’t do enough to put pressure on established high quality players.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: August 12, 2019, 2:24 pm
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana

I’d agree - would have been interesting had Simmonsen played out of skin and made a thousand line breaks but he just didn’t do enough to put pressure on established high quality players.
Simo has done a great job filling in and I expect him to continually improve. He's done his job for now and time to make way for BJ.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: August 12, 2019, 2:26 pm
Billy Walker wrote: August 12, 2019, 2:24 pm
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana

Simo has done a great job filling in and I expect him to continually improve. He's done his job for now and time to make way for BJ.
Agree. He’s handy back up for the remainder of this year and I expect him to put genuine pressure for a starting spot next season.
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

I agree as well. Good for Simo to get a final like game under his belt on Sunday, but time to the band back together with BJ right centre and Cotric on the left wing.