Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

OLDSCHOOL
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by OLDSCHOOL »

Yes I know I am going to get crap put on me but has anyone else noticed that since John has come back from the fractured eye socket he seems to have lost the mongrel in defence.
I have heard Ricky had to pull him aside and tell him that if he kept the mongrel up he would be doing some time on the sideline suspended and that he was putting too much energy into the mongrel and tiring himself out too early so you need to back off a bit.
Personally I would prefer the mongrel back.
What do you think ?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel ????

Post by Northern Raider »

Can't say I've noticed
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

OLDSCHOOL wrote:Yes I know I am going to get crap put on me
That's probably where you should have stopped.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

He’s last two games have been arguably he’s best two in green, if he has been told to rain it in it’s paying dividends.

Either way, he wouldn’t be the first player to come back from a face fracture and not come back as aggressive.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

To be fair that approach worked for Tarpine. He was a bit wild and prone to a blow up early in. Harnessing the aggression took his game to a new level.

Given Bateman has played some of his best footy since the injury, it may have been a benefit to him as well.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I haven’t noticed and I’m very happy with how he’s travelling. If anything perhaps he’s dropped the niggle a bit. I haven’t noticed the head slaps, ball throws etc as much but that’s not a bad thing. He’s a champion who is only getting better!

Also, while I don’t agree he has lost his mongrel in any way, I don’t think you should get slammed for asking the question.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Not only do I think you've read everything completely wrong -

- if he has, so what? He's infinitely more useful to us on the field than suspended right now. ESPECIALLY right now.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Lol
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Has Bateman lost his mongrel?

Post by greeneyed »

No. And he's doing just fine.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The best players in the game for many years have been the ones who can control their aggression.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

No. End of thread.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Nope

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Thread of the year.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Yes.
Let's release him.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

He's maintained his brilliance upon his return, if not slightly improved. You probably have not noticed of late, as you've come to expect it.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I've been waiting for someone to test how good he is at fighting, all year. I thought he might have gone looking for Isaac Luke after the hand stamp in the Denver test, but that didn't happen - probably just as well.

I wonder if Will Chambers will fancy a crack this time.

Anyway, away from all of that stuff, I reckon he's up to about 80%, now, performance wise. There's still more to come from him and he'll drag the team along with him.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

MrPosh wrote:I've been waiting for someone to test how good he is at fighting, all year. I thought he might have gone looking for Isaac Luke after the hand stamp in the Denver test, but that didn't happen - probably just as well.

Anyway, away from all of that stuff, I reckon he's up to about 80%, now, performance wise. There's still more to come from him and he'll drag the team along with him.
It won’t happen, one punch your gone in the NRL. I’m sure he’s not that stupid.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm Bate Man wrote: August 3, 2019, 8:12 pm
MrPosh wrote:I've been waiting for someone to test how good he is at fighting, all year. I thought he might have gone looking for Isaac Luke after the hand stamp in the Denver test, but that didn't happen - probably just as well.

We never want JBateman to miss games through suspension.

But...it is Will Chambers were talking about here..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-PJ- wrote: August 3, 2019, 8:16 pm
I'm Bate Man wrote: August 3, 2019, 8:12 pm

We never want JBateman to miss games through suspension.

But...it is Will Chambers were talking about here..
I’m happy for him to miss the first six weeks of next year as long as he waits till the 2019 GF is wrapped up and in the bag and he puts on a show for the ages 🤣🤣
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

MrPosh wrote: August 3, 2019, 7:58 pm I've been waiting for someone to test how good he is at fighting, all year. I thought he might have gone looking for Isaac Luke after the hand stamp in the Denver test, but that didn't happen - probably just as well.

Wow.
I've only thought that on edge sometimes you can be less involved if the game just naturally goes the other way- whereas if he's in the middle he can just stick his nose into everything.

What else do you think is coming in that last 20% Mr Posh. He's playing his socks off!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MrPosh wrote: August 3, 2019, 7:58 pm I've been waiting for someone to test how good he is at fighting, all year. I thought he might have gone looking for Isaac Luke after the hand stamp in the Denver test, but that didn't happen - probably just as well.

Issac Luke didn't play. He was suspended.

It is difficult to imagine him 20 per cent better. I rated him a rare 9 last week.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I'm Bate Man wrote: August 3, 2019, 6:04 pm He’s last two games have been arguably he’s best two in green, if he has been told to rain it in it’s paying dividends.

Either way, he wouldn’t be the first player to come back from a face fracture and not come back as aggressive.
Agree!
I’d take his last two performances over every other game he’s played this season.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

TROLLOLOLOLOL
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote: It is difficult to imagine him 20 per cent better. I rated him a rare 9 last week.
When he wins us the GF you remember to give him a 10.8 Image
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

If there's 20% more in Bateman, then they'd better start clearing a space in the hall of fame.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: August 3, 2019, 10:00 pm If there's 20% more in Bateman, then they'd better start clearing a space in the hall of fame.
Facts.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Favourite player.

If Ricky told him to reduce the chance of giving away stupid penalties with over the top aggression then he's doing his job. I suspect Ricky has told him nothing.

I remember at the start of the year when we signed him I thought to myself why on earth would we sign a backrower, absolute waste. I am swimming in an egg bath right now. He's added a ridiculous amount.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Woodgers wrote: August 3, 2019, 10:42 pm Favourite player.

If Ricky told him to reduce the chance of giving away stupid penalties with over the top aggression then he's doing his job. I suspect Ricky has told him nothing.

I remember at the start of the year when we signed him I thought to myself why on earth would we sign a backrower, absolute waste. I am swimming in an egg bath right now. He's added a ridiculous amount.
I also thought for years when watching him play for England that he wouldn't be great in the NRL as he was too slow to be a back and too small to be a forward.

Quite happy to be very, very wrong.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

greeneyed wrote: August 3, 2019, 9:01 pm

Issac Luke didn't play. He was suspended.

It is difficult to imagine him 20 per cent better. I rated him a rare 9 last week.
Yeah, I followed the game on here, as I'm on holiday at the moment.

I just had a feeling he might have gone looking for Luke if he'd played.

I did see the Panthers game, though, and he was excellent. I have seen him play much better, though. It may be the greater structure that the NRL offers, but I see him being able to get involved more than he is at the moment.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

He is my favourite player.

Aside from the clear tangible elements of being a quality player and enforcer, he also possesses the intangible factors which make him so likeable.

He is a winner, his competitiveness shines through and his rapport with the fans conveys further his passion.

In response to the original post in the thread, no idea what you’re on about fella.
Up The Milk
OLDSCHOOL
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Post by OLDSCHOOL »

Thanks Billy Walker for your reply and support.
I am only asking as a discussion point !
To me JB is the one of the best signings the Raiders have ever made and I am totally in support of the smaller more mobile player instead of the big fellas who can only play 20 on and 40 off.
My reference to the mongrel part is the niggling in the tackle as Billy Walker mentions.
To me he was giving a few facials while they were on the ground.
Bring back the biff !
As for general play he is a gun !
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

The last set of the game, 40-12 up - he is angry at CNK for a slow play the ball, slapping his back and telling him to get up. What a competitor.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

OLDSCHOOL wrote: August 4, 2019, 7:40 am Thanks Billy Walker for your reply and support.
To me JB is the one of the best signings the Raiders have ever made and I am totally in support of the smaller more mobile player instead of the big fellas who can only play 20 on and 40 off.
My reference to the mongrel part is the niggling in the tackle as Billy Walker mentions.
Bring back the biff !
No, leave the facials out. Not needed in 2019.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: August 4, 2019, 8:03 am
OLDSCHOOL wrote: August 4, 2019, 7:40 am Thanks Billy Walker for your reply and support.
Bring back the biff !
No, leave the facials out. Not needed in 2019.
Yep - he doesn’t need it in his game. Just focus on doing what he’s doing.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

To be fair to OP I am always shouting out “Hey Bateman! Show us your mongrel!!”
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine