Status check

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FROG
Brett Mullins

Re: Status check

Post by FROG »

If we made the gf... gee whiz, im getting goose bumps just thinking about it.. ill be at the game no matter what. While Id love to watch the game with my kids, at 4 and 7 they are too young to understand the game, let alone the emotional toll it would have on me.. probably prefer
to ride the rollercoaster with you lot!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-TW- wrote:Or the fact Justin Bieber tickets went on sale at the smart time..

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
Never picked you for a Bieleber?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gergreg wrote:
-TW- wrote:Or the fact Justin Bieber tickets went on sale at the smart time..

Never picked you for a Bieleber?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
OG Belieber

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

The Rickman wrote: July 17, 2019, 5:46 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: July 17, 2019, 5:41 pm All good points gg, but IMO we were just a talented squad that horribly under performed for two seasons.

Wighton to the halves has been good, but he was arguably the form fullback of the comp before he was suspended. Integer had doubts over his ability. Papa, Hodgo, Rapa, Leilua and Whitehead were all top shelf, while Bateman was clearly one of the best in the ESL. Losing Boyd, Austin and Paulo was a bonus based on form.

CNK has been the huge surprise packet for me. Granted, that has been a big addition in a key position.

I'm just glad we're approaching somewhere near our potential this season. The focus on defence has been a long time coming.
Once again you just echo my thoughts about absolutely everything, Seiff. The team itself wasn't bad, they just played bad, their attitude and commitment after coming 2nd in 2016 absolutely STUNK! It was a Top 4 squad that just phoned it in and didn't even make the finals two years in a row, it was really horrible stuff.
Yeah, now see that maybe it wasn't just playing bad, it was actually being bad, and removing those bad players - so they could go off and be men of steel (or Gold Coast farmers...) - was actually what set things up. As some people, like maybe RedRaider, had suggested all along?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Thanks for the support Lui_Bon, but I don't think I was on my own with the assessment. We all look for different things in the game and post 2016 Paulo, Boyd and Austin were resting on their Laurels and that's a lot of weight for poor Laurel to bear.

CNK has been a real point of difference this year. Unknown to me, and I suspect most others on here, before the start of this season, he is so safe at the back and getting better in attack as the season progresses. The difference between him in 2019 and Brad Abbey in 2018 is more than chalk and cheese for me, it is about being finals bound or also ran.

One more piece of the finals puzzle may have clicked into place last night against the Tigers. I have been critical of Aiden Sezer and his 'go through the motions' half back play as evidenced by numerous grubber kicks which found defenders legs more often than not. But last night, he played what was in front of him. If you look at the replays of the two tries he set up, he has his head up looking at what the defenders are doing. For the CNK try I have no doubt that was a planned move, but the kick has to go between and behind the defenders. He looked up, picked his spot and executed well because he had a look first. For the cut out pass try to Raps he did the same. He has looked up and saw the defenders were jamming in and Rapa had space on the outside. Because he had a look he threw the cut out pass and Rapa did what Rapa does. I hope we see more of it in the weeks ahead and particularly in Round 21 when the current Top 4 all play each other on the Sunday afternoon. That round will be a real assessment of where the top performing teams of Season 2019 are currently at.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote:Thanks for the support Lui_Bon, but I don't think I was on my own with the assessment. We all look for different things in the game and post 2016 Paulo, Boyd and Austin were resting on their Laurels and that's a lot of weight for poor Laurel to bear.

CNK has been a real point of difference this year. Unknown to me, and I suspect most others on here, before the start of this season, he is so safe at the back and getting better in attack as the season progresses. The difference between him in 2019 and Brad Abbey in 2018 is more than chalk and cheese for me, it is about being finals bound or also ran.

One more piece of the finals puzzle may have clicked into place last night against the Tigers. I have been critical of Aiden Sezer and his 'go through the motions' half back play as evidenced by numerous grubber kicks which found defenders legs more often than not. But last night, he played what was in front of him. If you look at the replays of the two tries he set up, he has his head up looking at what the defenders are doing. For the CNK try I have no doubt that was a planned move, but the kick has to go between and behind the defenders. He looked up, picked his spot and executed well because he had a look first. For the cut out pass try to Raps he did the same. He has looked up and saw the defenders were jamming in and Rapa had space on the outside. Because he had a look he threw the cut out pass and Rapa did what Rapa does. I hope we see more of it in the weeks ahead and particularly in Round 21 when the current Top 4 all play each other on the Sunday afternoon. That round will be a real assessment of where the top performing teams of Season 2019 are currently at.
You weren’t alone, Red. I very much shared your opinions and frustrations for the last two seasons largely regarding defence

And that’s why this season is the most pleasing in twenty years
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Bask in the glory :thumbsup
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Status update:

We da best
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Status: excitement containment failing. Expect total failure in approximately two weeks.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Trying to find that Ricky Stuart rant from 2014 where he basically said we're **** and will be until we get good players

Edit this one, that's the ultimate status check

Last edited by -TW- on July 28, 2019, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

By far and away our best performance of the season I thought.

a lot went against us and we just stayed on top!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Aaaaannndddd......

Bask in the glory.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Yeah that was a good team performance. Admittedly we did drop off in that second half, but it was still very good
papabear wrote:By far and away our best performance of the season I thought.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

dubby wrote: August 2, 2019, 8:26 pm Yeah that was a good team performance. Admittedly we did drop off in that second half, but it was still very good

Dubby mate, the best thing about this post is Papa was talking about the Penrith game, and the fact remains - one week later we go one better and have ANOTHER best performance of the year!!

Go the mighty green machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Im good thanks..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Yeah mate. It's good times. Hope you're well old mate
Coastalraider wrote:
dubby wrote: August 2, 2019, 8:26 pm Yeah that was a good team performance. Admittedly we did drop off in that second half, but it was still very good

Dubby mate, the best thing about this post is Papa was talking about the Penrith game, and the fact remains - one week later we go one better and have ANOTHER best performance of the year!!

Go the mighty green machine

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Peej, you're mr. Optimistic. That's why I love you.
-PJ- wrote:Im good thanks..

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Going well. I'll be happy if we win one out of the next two games.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Plenty (including me) felt this was a real danger game and a loss was very much on the cards. Not only did we win bit also gave our F&A a huge boost.

Looking forward to the Roosters now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Northern Raider wrote: August 2, 2019, 9:03 pm Plenty (including me) felt this was a real danger game and a loss was very much on the cards. Not only did we win bit also gave our F&A a huge boost.

Looking forward to the Roosters now.
Yep, I think I’m making the 9 hour round trip for this one.

If the boys are putting in that type of effort, I am too.
Junior
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by Junior »

How great is it not being lower on the ladder and looking at other results to see if we can make the top 8
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote: August 2, 2019, 8:52 pm Going well. I'll be happy if we win one out of the next two games.
But are you worried Azza?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I felt like I was in the late 80’s early 90’s watching that game. For any of you young ones who weren’t around, that’s pretty much what it was like watching the raiders most weeks for a good long time back then. Never truly worried about the result just concerned with how much, who would star and no injuries.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: August 2, 2019, 9:55 pm
Azza wrote: August 2, 2019, 8:52 pm Going well. I'll be happy if we win one out of the next two games.
About you? Yes. Have been for a while.

Look - I'd be disappointed if we dropped out of the top four having stayed there all season but it's critical we finished the season well. And preferably not in 4th spot although I'd rather 4th than 5th
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote: August 2, 2019, 10:02 pm
About you? Yes. Have been for a while.

Look - I'd be disappointed if we dropped out of the top four having stayed there all season but it's critical we finished the season well. And preferably not in 4th spot although I'd rather 4th than 5th
:o Why are you worried?
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Billy Walker wrote: August 2, 2019, 9:57 pm I felt like I was in the late 80’s early 90’s watching that game. For any of you young ones who weren’t around, that’s pretty much what it was like watching the raiders most weeks for a good long time back then. Never truly worried about the result just concerned with how much, who would star and no injuries.
We're not quite there yet. Beating Melbourne, Souths or the Roosters (one would do, preferably Melbourne while I'm there) would make me a lot more confident.

And beating Manly as a matter of course...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Lui_Bon wrote: August 2, 2019, 11:27 pm
Billy Walker wrote: August 2, 2019, 9:57 pm I felt like I was in the late 80’s early 90’s watching that game. For any of you young ones who weren’t around, that’s pretty much what it was like watching the raiders most weeks for a good long time back then. Never truly worried about the result just concerned with how much, who would star and no injuries.
We're not quite there yet. Beating Melbourne, Souths or the Roosters (one would do, preferably Melbourne while I'm there) would make me a lot more confident.

And beating Manly as a matter of course...
I agree. Just watching tonight’s game was like retro round come early for me but we are still a way off being as consistent as those champion teams. On the right path though! Like a well aged wine 2019 has been a good year!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Billy Walker wrote:I felt like I was in the late 80’s early 90’s watching that game. For any of you young ones who weren’t around, that’s pretty much what it was like watching the raiders most weeks for a good long time back then. Never truly worried about the result just concerned with how much, who would star and no injuries.
It really was.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I was thinking this during the game.
Such a nice feeling.
T_R wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:I felt like I was in the late 80’s early 90’s watching that game. For any of you young ones who weren’t around, that’s pretty much what it was like watching the raiders most weeks for a good long time back then. Never truly worried about the result just concerned with how much, who would star and no injuries.
It really was.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

I feel as though, going into the game against the Roosters, that instead of being wary and worried about a loss, that we are coming for them. The boys will lift the aggression and discipline, and really take it to them.
Its the Roosters who should be worried.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote: August 2, 2019, 8:51 pm Peej, you're mr. Optimistic. That's why I love you.
-PJ- wrote:Im good thanks..
My head is spinning, I'm very happy but I feel it's all a dream really. I've got mates/family txting and ringing and even blokes at work saying" how they goin?"

Even Mrs PJ who don't give a squat about RL and the Raiders in general said last night " I haven't seen you this excited in years..can they win the comp?"

This is UNBELIEVEABLE...who would have thought if you learnt to tackle you could win games..The defence has been sensational..geez I'm impressed with our footy side in 2019.

I'm getting a warm fuzzy feeling.

And like I said a few days ago somewhere on here..the next 4 weeks is ideal preparation heading into finals..THATS RIGHT FINALS. We string just 3 good weeks together come Sept and its hallelujah..

Damn proud I am...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

He's worried about our national cricket side, the Raiders are giving him solid, deep sleep !!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Oh..

And fulltime last night I txt an updated NRL ladder to my Knights mate in Perth..Yeah I'm a real piece of work. I know it's only temporary depending on other results but with our boys moving to 2nd I had to right ?. He's a sook, the last 4 weeks he's been crying into his corn flakes and I must admit I've been absolutely unloading on him..I'm glad we're mates cause anybody else would have grabbed me by the throat and cut off my air by now.

He's names Chappo.

PJ- Here's an updated NRL ladder..Raiders have moved to 2nd.
Chappo- #%+=you idiot I don't care.
PJ- Be nice.
Chappo- Go away.
PJ- I was looking for the Knights on the ladder and hurt my neck, that's how far down they are.
Chappo- I'll fly over there and kick @and$? out of you.
PJ- Good, we'll have a beer.
Chappo- Yes we will.
PJ- And you're buying..loser
Chappo- $and@0 off.

He's under pressure...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I genuinely don’t think we lose another game this year

Still have that next gear to go to
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

To not lose a game for the rest of the year would mean heading into the finals on a 10 game winning streak
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine