Post by greeneyed »

2019 Rd 20 V Warriors: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors
Friday 2 August 6:00pm (8:00pm NZT)
Mt Smart Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Showers developing. Cloudy periods. Isolated showers, becoming widespread for a time in the afternoon and early evening. Strong westerlies, gale gusts 80 km/h in exposed places from evening. Min 6 Max 15

Round 19 2019. Canberra Raiders 30 - Penrith Panthers 18. Sunday afternoon football. A perfect winter blue sky day. And the Raiders went to Penrith to face a Panthers team on a seven game winning streak, in front of a big, hostile crowd. They left with the Sydney critics starting to seriously ask the question: "Are the Raiders the real deal? Are they now in the top echelon of teams?" Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says no. They're not there yet. But there is no doubt about this: it was a wonderful win for the Green Machine at the foot of the mountains.

More on Round 19: As I saw it

The Raiders now head to Auckland for a clash with the New Zealand Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium. Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has named the same top 17 which defeated the Panthers on Sunday. Hudson Young has been included on the extended bench with Sam Williams, Sebastian Kris and Royce Hunt.

The Warriors have named hooker Issac Luke, who faces a judiciary hearing on Tuesday night. He's disputing the grading of a dangerous throw charge in a bid to play. Kodi Nikorima (ankle), returns at halfback. Hooker Karl Lawton (shoulder) has been named on the extended bench, along with new signing Josh Curran.

Milestone: This will be hooker Josh Hodgson's 100th match in green. Sia Soliola plays his 300th first class match across the NRL and Super League.

Late changes: On Thursday night, the Raiders cut Royce Hunt and Seb Kris from their squad, leaving Hudson Young and Sam Williams on the extended bench. For the Warriors, Karl Lawton replaces suspended hooker Issac Luke in the starting team, while Adam Keighran has dropped off the extended bench.

History: Canberra has won 21 of 40 games against the Warriors. The Raiders have won three of the past five matches between the clubs - and four of the last 10. Canberra lost both contests in 2018. In Round 3 at Canberra Stadium, the Raiders suffered a heart breaking, last gasp, one point loss. They followed that up in Round 25 with a 20-16 loss at Mt Smart. The Raiders have won just seven of 19 games played at Mt Smart, and seven of 20 games in Auckland. They have won nine of 22 games played in New Zealand.

2018 Round 25 Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors

2018 Round 3 Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors

Form: Raiders: WLWWW
Warriors: LWDWL

In their last outing, the Warriors suffered a controversial 24-22 loss to the Parramatta Eels at Western Sydney Stadium - with referees boss Graham Annesley admitting to a number of costly officiating errors. They were so serious, all four on ground officials were demoted. They have had two recent wins, over the Sharks (19-18) at Christchurch and the Knights (24-20) at Newcastle - and one draw, against the Broncos (18-18) at Lang Park. The Raiders have now won six of their past seven games.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.55 favourites, with the Warriors paying $2.40. Those are pretty attractive odds for the Warriors, given the Raiders are on a very short turnaround. The Warriors have 4.0 points start in the line betting. The Raiders odds have shortened over the week.

Stat attack: It is a battle between fourth and 12th on the ladder. The Raiders have a better attacking record than the Warriors - and a much better defensive record.

The Raiders attack has not really been firing on all cylinders, but it is improving, and they now rank fifth in the attacking rankings - while the Warriors are in ninth. However, the Warriors can be very dangerous with the ball, and make more running metres than the Raiders - while no team in the NRL makes more post contact metres than the Warriors.

Warriors fullback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck ranks first for running metres and Ken Maumalo ranks second. Maumalo ranks first in the NRL for post contact metres, while fullback Tuivasa-Sheck ranks fifth. The Warriors pair also rank in the top five players for line breaks (Maumalo 14, Tuivasa-Sheck 13). Tuivasa-Sheck is second only to James Tedesco for tackle breaks. The Raiders have their own metre eater, of course, with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad ranked third in the NRL and first for kick return metres.

The Warriors also throw the ball around much more than the Raiders. Canberra ranks last for general play passes, while the Warriors are third in the NRL for offloads.

The Raiders have the second best defence in the competition, after the Storm. Canberra has conceded under 15 points per game in 2019, compared with 21 for the Warriors. While the Warriors may make more metres than the Raiders with the ball in hand, the Raiders will no doubt aim to contain them through their kicking game. No team kicks more than the Raiders, and they are second only to the Broncos for kicking metres gained. They'll need to find grass or the touchline in this game, however, as kicking straight to the Warriors' back three is fraught with danger.

Season record: Raiders 12 and 6 (4th, +123)
Warriors 7 and 10, 1 draw (12th, -36)

Home and away: Raiders 7 of 10 away
Warriors 4 of 9 at home

Against top eight opposition: Raiders have won 4 of 9
Warriors have won 1 of 9

Attack: Raiders 22 points and 3.6 tries scored per match, ranked 5th
Warriors 19 points and 3.1 tries scored per match, ranked 9th

Defence: Raiders 15 points and 2.6 tries conceded per match, ranked 2nd
Warriors 21 points and 3.4 tries conceded per match, ranked 11th

Completion rate: Raiders 79 per cent
Warriors 77 per cent

Running: Raiders 1551 running metres from 172 runs, 182 kick return metres, 446 post contact metres per match
Warriors 1623 running metres from 180 runs, 180 kick return metres, 479 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 32, Warriors 32

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Warriors 4 per match

Try assists: Raiders 2, Warriors 2 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 2, Warriors 3 per match

Offloads: Raiders 8, Warriors 12 per match

Kicking: Raiders 595 kicking metres from 22 kicks per match
Warriors 490 kicking metres from 18 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 331 made, 30 missed, 13 ineffective per match
Warriors 358 made, 31 missed, 17 ineffective per match

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1371, Warriors 1422 metres per match

Errors: Raiders 10, Warriors 10 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 7, Warriors 6 per match

Our tip: This match is going to be a very big challenge for the Green Machine, given the very short turnaround and the travel time involved in getting to New Zealand. The Raiders very sensibly headed straight to Auckland from Sydney after the Panthers clash - and are spending the week in camp across the ditch. The Raiders have also left no stone unturned in helping the squad recover - sending them to cryotheraphy last Sunday night after the win over Penrith.

The other challenge is the controversy surrounding the refereeing of the Warriors' last match. The Warriors CEO has encouraged the home crowd to dress as referees and bring whistles to the game - and the referees are going to be under extreme pressure. Whether that works in the Warriors' favour remains to be seen. But it won't surprise if the 50/50 calls go in favour of the Warriors, adding to the usual home ground advantage the Warriors have over the Raiders. In any event, that's not something the Raiders can control - and they've done a very good job this year of only focusing on the things they can control.

The Raiders need to bring a similar game plan to the one they employed at Penrith. Calm, controlled defence, good line speed, win the battle in the middle third, and kick to the corners, preferably the touch line. As with the Panthers, the Raiders will need to avoid giving the Warriors any momentum - and frustrate them into making errors. That's what opens the opportunities for the Raiders' attack. The Raiders executed that plan brilliantly last weekend, and I think they can do it again. Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad on returning to his former home and facing former team mate Roger Tuivasa-Sheck: "That's probably one of the things that's making me most excited about it. Someone that I've looked up to, a role model, an ex-player that I used to rub shoulders with. It's definitely something that I'm looking forward to."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Michael Oldfield
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
15. Emre Guler
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Dunamis Lui

18. Sam Williams
19. Hudson Young

New Zealand Warriors

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (C)
2. Gerard Beale
3. Peta Hiku
4. Blake Ayshford
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Kodi Nikorima
7. Blake Green
8. Agnatius Paasi
18. Karl Lawton
10. Leeson Ah Mau
11. Adam Blair
12. Isaiah Papali’i
13. Jazz Tevaga

14. Lachlan Burr
15. Sam Lisone
16. Bunty Afoa
17. Chanel Harris-Tavita

20. Josh Curran
21. Adam Pompey

Officials

Referees: Matt Cecchin, Gavin Badger
Sideline Officials: Michael Wise, Jarrod Cole
Video Referees: Jared Maxwell, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLWarriorsRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: 2019 Rd 20 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by zim »

Hingano and Bateman are both back for Mounties. Best case scenario only BJ and Abbey on the injury list next round.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Game Day preview updated for squads, team changes and officials: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33512&p=1679775#p1679775
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

Members tickets arrived today. They are for the South Stand behind the posts. Previous years we've been on the lower Western Stand on about the 20m line. A downgrade I reckon. I think they'll be drawing about 12,000 this week.
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

Horace Dove-Edwin wrote: July 30, 2019, 9:20 pm Members tickets arrived today. They are for the South Stand behind the posts. Previous years we've been on the lower Western Stand on about the 20m line. A downgrade I reckon. I think they'll be drawing about 12,000 this week.
Agree those must be the worst seats possible. But let’s hope there’s a strong contingent of Raiders supporters to cheer the boys on. I hear the CNK’s whole family are coming, so that should fill up at least one Bay. :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Game Day preview updated for squads, weather, odds. Canberra Raiders cut Royce Hunt and Seb Kris, while Karl Lawton will start for the Warriors in place of the suspended Issac Luke. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33512&p=1679775#p1679775
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!!! Go the Raiders
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Yyyeeeeeeeeeeweewwwwww!!!!!

Game day!!!!!!!!
Walter
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Walter »

Game day eve here in Europe and I’m looking forward to a nice sleep then a couple of hours until kick off.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Its Game Day Cuzzy Bro's!
Raiders to fire up eh Cuz!!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Kryptonite wrote:Its Game Day Cuzzy Bro's!
Raiders to fire up eh Cuz!!
put on your game day jandals and grab your chilly bin bro
Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Just got home from work. Big breakfast, power nap, couple of jobs after lunch then home for beers and footy..

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Game day, let's go!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

The weather in Auckland is looking a bit dismal - might suit the pommies really well!
I liked Ricky’s comment that he was glad they picked experienced refs for this game - hope they do a good job and manage to control the game fairly.
Go Raiders!! Play your best footy, that’s all you can control.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:Just got home from work. Big breakfast, power nap, couple of jobs after lunch then home for beers and footy..

#bleedgreen
44hrs up for the week, hoping to pull the pin at 1 and grab a quiet mid strength before heading home
Edrick The Entertainer
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

I sadly will be watching on delay, so i have a media blackout until I get home.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

reptar wrote: August 2, 2019, 9:43 am I sadly will be watching on delay, so i have a media blackout until I get home.
Can't you get frank to cover for you so you can watch live?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

He works FOR Frank, not the other way around

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Game day came around very quickly this time.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:Game day came around very quickly this time.
Wait til next week.. 9 whole days..

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance

Bolt from work in a couple of hours then to the ground.
It's been raining lightly the past 2 hours. Meant to clear up about 6pm.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Horace Dove-Edwin wrote: August 2, 2019, 1:47 pm Bolt from work in a couple of hours then to the ground.
Hm. We seem to have gone okay in the wet so far this year.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Horace Dove-Edwin wrote: August 2, 2019, 1:47 pm Bolt from work in a couple of hours then to the ground.
Forecast says showers increasing and getting very windy. :?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Has GEs private jet touched down yet? Starting to drizzle a bit in Auckland.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

This is the 2019 Raiders.

Rail, hail, shine, short turn arounds, long travel times - blah blah blah.

We got this.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Coastalraider wrote: August 2, 2019, 2:38 pm This is the 2019 Raiders.

Rail, hail, shine, short turn arounds, long travel times - blah blah blah.

We got this.
Sorry, I'm just not used to it yet! :lol:

Walter
David Grant

Post by Walter »

C’mon boys! Hodgo’s 100th and CNK’s Birthday!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0o2Y8VB6W0 ... 7df2ocj5kg

raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Walter wrote: August 2, 2019, 2:42 pm C’mon boys! Hodgo’s 100th and CNK’s Birthday!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0o2Y8VB6W0 ... 7df2ocj5kg

And Sutto's birthday!

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 2, 2019, 2:35 pm Has GEs private jet touched down yet? Starting to drizzle a bit in Auckland.
Won't be in Auckland this year.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: August 2, 2019, 3:04 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 2, 2019, 2:35 pm Has GEs private jet touched down yet? Starting to drizzle a bit in Auckland.
Private jet grounded due to maintenance. Time to upgrade GE.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I generally find anyone who owns a private jet has a back up private jet...

Fergus must be unwell..transport isn't the problem.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance

Roger that. Windy the past two days.
Well, it is winter.
A NORTHERN ENGLAND WINTER.
Northern Raider wrote:
Walter
David Grant

Post by Walter »

Horace Dove-Edwin wrote:Roger that. Windy the past two days.
Well, it is winter.
A NORTHERN ENGLAND WINTER.
Northern Raider wrote:
A northern England summer more like Image

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

@pj the closer we get to kick off the more confident I feel.

And that worries me.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: August 2, 2019, 3:04 pm
I've seen us lose 3 times here without a W. 4th time lucky.

Stupid NRL scheduling cost me seeing a victory in 2017 as I was in Akl but left a day early due to the schedule not being out in time. Much better now they announce it in advance.