Raiders half Aidan Sezer joins Huddersfield Giants on two year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Canberra Raiders' Aidan Sezer wants to stay in NRL

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: July 30, 2019, 10:27 am There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Aidan Sezer has given the club his all every single week. Players go through periods where they're struggling, for whatever reason. Maybe they're being asked to perform a role that doesn't suit their natural talents, even when they work on it, what they're being asked to do, it is not going to work. What I keep hearing from the team is that the attack is being "simplified"... and guess what's happening? Aidan Sezer is playing with a lot more confidence and is producing great results on field.

By the way, based on my limited interactions with him, he seems like a very good bloke. A nice person, humble. I'd love to see him stay if the cap is there.
Hear hear, I agree with Fergus and Pig on this one. He hasn't been "phoning it in", he's been trying week in, week out when the whole team has been hot garbage. Now that the team has improved their attitude AS A WHOLE (and we've gotten rid of one Blake "hey look at me" Austin), he's starting to reap the benefits of it.

I ABSOLUTELY hope he stays and fights for his place. Might be a hard job for George Williams to displace a current Clive Churchill winning halfback, but it's a glorious position for us to be in as a club.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

PigRickman wrote: July 30, 2019, 9:14 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 30, 2019, 8:57 am
PigRickman wrote: July 30, 2019, 8:53 am what money on the line?
He's contracted for this year and next. He has absolutely zero control over whether he gets more or less money than he's contracted to earn

I dont think LastRaider knows this is not a contract year :lol:
Often there will be extensions when a player transfers clubs. Doubtful in Sezer's case if he goes to an NRL club but if he does head to ESL I'd say he'll be extended.
Ok, but do you think he'll get more money in the ESL than his current deal?
It's a 2m pound cap over there. He's not playing harder or better now to secure more money,
And any NRL club he goes too, will result in a steep pay decrease once this deal ends... and again he has a contracted year left. If he keeps playing like this there is no gtd what so ever he earns a cent more, because the club might decide to just keep him, put him in mounties as back up and then in a years time he's totally cooked!

This narrative starting to build by usual suspects that Sezer has been phoning it in until now and is only playing well now because he's trying to get more money is utterly embarrassing :lol:
Nope but he'll be guaranteed his cash for next year wherever he goes, his improved play will potentially prolong his top flight career and reward him the next year or two after that.

I'm not in any way suggesting he hasn't given it 100% in his time here. He has been one of the more frustrated looking players on the field the last couple of years.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

PigRickman wrote: July 30, 2019, 10:20 am
Coastalraider wrote: July 30, 2019, 9:56 am
PigRickman wrote: July 30, 2019, 9:31 am So let me get this straight.

Aiden Sezer has phoned in his footy at ages 25, 26 and 27, i.e his PRIME, just utterly phoned it in and hasnt even been trying, and now he has a chance to secure the

*checks notes*

golden goose that is a back up halves role at this club and a steep pay decrease, or get moved to another club for a pay decrease but not as steep, or finish his career in the ESL where he'll have his pay cut in half... that's when he begins to try?

:lol: As i said, that's utterly embarrassing
No big fella, my point was that its beneficial financially for him to sign with another team now rather than see out his contract here for another year. Who do you think is worth more right now on an open market - Sezer or Sam Williams? Because in 12 months, Sezer will be in exactly the same space as Sammy is now.

I didn't comment on why his performance has had massive fluctuations over the years.
But he can't sign with another team now. He's contracted to us until the end of 2020. Right now Sam Williams is worth more on the open market because... well he IS on the open market and Sezer is not.

Let me craft a different narrative.
Perhaps, Sezer and Blake Austin weren't a good fit, in fact i dont even think that is up for debate anymore, many of us thought it was going to be great, it wasnt, it was a bad fit
So his form in the years with Blake are explained by Austin being more assertive as a halves partner, recieving more footy than he should have and leaving Sezer to feel unsure of his spot and the two halves and Hodgson just not gelling the way we thought they would... then the coach plays him at hooker and he has some injuries, and ultimately we're 3 years deep and it hasnt worked out and he's a bad signing.

Now 2019, and now he's partnered with Wighton. He plays very well in the opening game vs Titans, we get absolutely belted off the park in the Storm game and everyone is on his case again, but he's hurt too, so off he goes and in comes Sam. The team keeps winning and people think it's the change in halves, when now we know it's just this team is actually good. And eventually we all finally agree we've had enough of Sam Williams trash **** defence holding us back, especially when he is proving to be no better than Sezer with ball in hand and now Sezer is back, and is playing well.

And we summise that this is not best explained by circumstances, or a purple patch of form (and lets remember, his form is now *checks notes* 3 weeks old! THREE WEEKS! That's all, it's been 3 games where no one has argued he sucked) that is likely to regress again at some point, but that he has phoned in his contract with us and has not tried to play his best footy?

I mean, honestly... i really sometimes believe Raiders fans are some of the worst **** fans alive. This is one of those times
I cant argue with the above, but again Im not commenting on how he got the this point, Im saying that he IS playing well right now (for whatever reason) and its in his personal best interest to start shopping himself around while his value is high.

You have said above there is no financial gain to him staying or going, which is clearly wrong. In the immediate future, it is neutral of course (as he will earn his 2020 wage regardless off where he plays, and the balance of which club pays for it) , but leaving now for a multi year contract with another team while his market value is high is preferable than sitting in reggies for a year and then hitting the market. I cant see how you could argue that.

It could also be very beneficial for the Raiders. Do you think its a coincidence that in the same week Sezer is linked to a superleague club, the Rapana talks are all of a sudden very positive, with an announcement imminent?
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Halves always look better when their team can defend. That one try assist is the match winner instead of a consolation try, when you keep the opposition to a small margin.
Wighton looks better because of this. He'd be getting hammered for lack of creativity if our defence wasn't as good as it is. I have no doubt.
Sezer is looking better off the back of it also. But he's also asserting himself on the game way more (his creative stats are almost double his best year for us in 2016).

However lets not forget the fact that in years past he's had almost no impact on most of the games he played. You can throw up all kinds of excuses; But he was not taking on the line; He was making poor choices on the 5th tackle - or being absent completely; Missing multiple field goals; and below average kicking game with poor kicks at crucial times often.
Blake Austin might (definitely) have been overcallling it, but Hodgson isnt silly, if he was giving him other quality options he would have gone there.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

absolutely Sezers been trying, the biggest difference is he's no longer trying to be the teams main man/organiser, he's playing what's in front of him
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

As much as it would be great to keep Sezer while he's playing like this he can't stay here on his current deal. You don't fit 3 first grade play makers into 2 positions. We need that money elsewhere in the squad.
There's a long time till kick off 2020. Something will be worked out before then.

As others have mentioned the Knights would be a great option for both parties. Sezer gets a shot at the 8. Knights get a proper foil for Pearce that can also defend.
If he goes to the dogs he can pretty much enjoy the bottom 4 for the next 3 years.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Knights have no money currently.
Dont delete this GE
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

kiwi raider wrote:absolutely Sezers been trying, the biggest difference is he's no longer trying to be the teams main man/organiser, he's playing what's in front of him
i agree with Kiwi, we've tried to make him play a role we thought he could but he couldn't.
Between injuries and game plan he's struggled.
Now he's fit, getting crisp early excellent ball and been freed up he's playing really well. Any half would love to be receiving that sharp long pass from Hodgson.
Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

simo wrote: July 30, 2019, 11:17 am Knights have no money currently.
They've got Jamie Buhrer, Slade Griffin, Shaun Kenny-Dowall and Ese'ese all on decent coin checking out this year. That's some pretty bad managing if they've left themselves with zero coin and without a decent hooker or 5/8.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Connor watson is a very very good hooker
Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Indeed.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Danny Levi was actually playing good footy up until his injury. Whether he's their best long term option is highly questionable though. Watson has been tried in a number of roles since he joined the club and I would say hooker is the only one that he's looked good in. Even then he's lacking composure and often takes poor options. Reminds me a lot of Damain Cook in his early days there. Dangerous but eratic. We all know how that turned out once Cook had some time to get his head around the position. Not saying Watson is going to be in Cook's class but thats the position he'll provide most value to them.

Thinking ahead they could have a spine of:
1. Ponga
6. Sezer
7. Pearce
9. Watson

This a combo that could help them take the next step and be a genuine finals team rather than battling to scrape into the top 8 each year.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Agree with that spine.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

zim wrote:
simo wrote: July 30, 2019, 11:17 am Knights have no money currently.
They've got Jamie Buhrer, Slade Griffin, Shaun Kenny-Dowall and Ese'ese all on decent coin checking out this year. That's some pretty bad managing if they've left themselves with zero coin and without a decent hooker or 5/8.
Guerra must be finishing up soon as well?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Can we stop speaking Sezer - Knights into existence please. It's a deeply upsetting and distressing thought for me.

Please respect my wishes.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

PigRickman wrote: July 30, 2019, 1:22 pm Can we stop speaking Sezer - Knights into existence please. It's a deeply upsetting and distressing thought for me.

Please respect my wishes.
Because I care:
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

I think Sezer seems like a really nice, genuine, humble guy, who has been trying his guts out to do the best he can for the team and himself.

I really like the form he has shown since he has returned to 1st grade and I think it is showing on the field. But at the end of the day, we really dont know if he has been "phoning it in" in the past, or whether it was just a "bad fit", or whether he is stepping it up to showcase his talents to get another contract elsewhere. All we know is he prefers to stay in the NRL. And why wouldnt he. He would be paid more in the NRL.

We dont know if he prefers to stay at the Raiders coz he loves it here or he just has not received any better offers any where else in the NRL. If he wants to stay and fight for his position at the Raiders, and we have the cap space, then great!

But All we can really go on is results. And over the past three years, with only a few streaks of good form, regardless of the circumstances, the results have not been there. Thats why we recruited George Williams.

Keep in mind what Josh Hodgson said a couple of weeks ago on the Matty Johns show, when discussing the Raiders potential areas of improvement and the recruitment of George Williams, "some of our last tackle options have been poor.... George will add another dimension to our attack... he has a really good short kicking game. ..".

Seems to me the team knows whats wrong and George will rectify that. I think what josh was saying there was really quite telling in terms of our half back.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Yeah I agree. Insightful comment from the Captain, and it says a lot.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

"Cut me!"

No-one remembers this? No-one remembers Sezer getting flattened post-kick week after week and still bouncing back up and fighting on?

I'm disgusted that anyone would even suggest he hasn't been trying. He clearly has. For a multitude of reasons he's been struggling to make it work. For whatever reason he's been treated with absolute disrespect by certain purported Raiders "fans".

Literally the only reason he hasn't played the full season as our 7 this year is because he got injured at an unlucky moment.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

raiderskater wrote: July 30, 2019, 7:01 pm "Cut me!"

No-one remembers this? No-one remembers Sezer getting flattened post-kick week after week and still bouncing back up and fighting on?

I'm disgusted that anyone would even suggest he hasn't been trying. He clearly has. For a multitude of reasons he's been struggling to make it work. For whatever reason he's been treated with absolute disrespect by certain purported Raiders "fans".

Literally the only reason he hasn't played the full season as our 7 this year is because he got injured at an unlucky moment.
Exactly. He would've hit top form a good eight weeks ago otherwise. He's benefited in a shift in attitude for the whole squad as much as anyone.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Hypothetical based on The Rickman's "Sezer wins Clive Churchill medal" prediction and remains at the Raiders for 2020. We might end up with:

1. CNK
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
9. Hodgo
14. G. Williams
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Sezer could win the Dally M, Golden Boot and the Clive Churchill medal. He still won't be here by kick off next year. We've made our cap decision.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: July 31, 2019, 3:09 pm Sezer could win the Dally M, Golden Boot and the Clive Churchill medal. He still won't be here by kick off next year. We've made our cap decision.
Wanna bet?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The Rickman wrote: July 31, 2019, 3:12 pm
zim wrote: July 31, 2019, 3:09 pm Sezer could win the Dally M, Golden Boot and the Clive Churchill medal. He still won't be here by kick off next year. We've made our cap decision.
Wanna bet?
Which part are we betting on?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Good job I said "hypothetical" then. ;)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: July 31, 2019, 3:13 pm
The Rickman wrote: July 31, 2019, 3:12 pm
Wanna bet?
Which part are we betting on?
Your statement. I'll bet you a thousand dollars if Sezer wins the Dally M, Golden Boot and the Clive Churchill medal that he's playing for us at the start of next year.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

There you are, there's a gorilla, on the table, right now.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: July 31, 2019, 3:19 pm There you are, there's a gorilla, on the table, right now.
"if I was a betting man"
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Northern Raider wrote: July 31, 2019, 3:21 pm
The Rickman wrote: July 31, 2019, 3:19 pm There you are, there's a gorilla, on the table, right now.
"if I was a betting man"
The trick is that if he doesn't get any of those the bet is a draw. It's a pointless bet as he's not even in contention for the Dally M.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

zim wrote: July 31, 2019, 3:22 pm
"if I was a betting man"
The trick is that if he doesn't get any of those the bet is a draw. It's a pointless bet as he's not even in contention for the Dally M.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

"if I was a betting man"
You bloody wuss.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Northern Raider wrote: July 31, 2019, 3:25 pm
"if I was a betting man"
zim wrote: July 24, 2019, 11:04 am ..... Rickman you diabolical
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The Rickman wrote: July 31, 2019, 3:26 pm Also, zim's post is up for zim of the year at this year's Boogs too. It's a hot field, but he's gotta be considered a strong chance.
Hah. I was just too interested in the bet that was going to come that I forgot who was posting.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Pretty awful stuff here, zim. You hate to see it.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Just got off the phone with my mum. She still loves me, but this is the last time. My brother on the other hand just sent it to voicemail.
Everything's going to be ok.