Raiders half Aidan Sezer joins Huddersfield Giants on two year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Aidan Sezer to be released to Huddersfield?

Post by GreenMachine »

Sezer has been very solid the last few weeks. I’d be shocked if we released him before the end of this season.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

I just don't think we can keep him salary cap wise, we need to upgrade some guys very soon also

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Logically, and because i have no inside info, but there is no logical reason to release him this season and i am 10000% sure that's not going to happen

What happens next year, different kettle of fish
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

PigRickman wrote: July 28, 2019, 7:57 pm Logically, and because i have no inside info, but there is no logical reason to release him this season and i am 10000% sure that's not going to happen

Agreed
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Matt wrote: July 28, 2019, 8:00 pm
PigRickman wrote: July 28, 2019, 7:57 pm Logically, and because i have no inside info, but there is no logical reason to release him this season and i am 10000% sure that's not going to happen

Agreed
Yep 100%.
Anything else, makes no sense.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

They mentioned during the fox broadcast something about him heading to england next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

think that's probably what will happen, but if his level of play here continues as it has since returning from injury, i think he'll get some offers in the NRL and maybe that might be more desirable. It's got me **** why the Dogs wouldnt be engaging us for a 60-40 deal next year for him
Local kid, coming back to his junior club and they have Jack Cogger playing FG right now, they can definitely use a competent NRL half and to get one for 400k which would be 60% of a 700k deal, would be a significant upgrade for them.
But then ive got no idea what that team is doing, it's an appalling level of talent going on there
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

he has been fantastic for us last three weeks, unlucky not to take points in all three matches.

Honestly, with the way he is playing I would be happy to have him for another year had we not bought the bloke from wigan.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

PigRickman wrote: July 29, 2019, 8:58 am think that's probably what will happen, but if his level of play here continues as it has since returning from injury, i think he'll get some offers in the NRL and maybe that might be more desirable. It's got me **** why the Dogs wouldnt be engaging us for a 60-40 deal next year for him
Local kid, coming back to his junior club and they have Jack Cogger playing FG right now, they can definitely use a competent NRL half and to get one for 400k which would be 60% of a 700k deal, would be a significant upgrade for them.
But then ive got no idea what that team is doing, it's an appalling level of talent going on there
I don't see them regarding themselves as challenging for the 8 any time soon. Wouldn't be much point bringing a half in on decent money for one season at the age of 28-29. Better off spending that investing in younger players.

If I was a fan of theirs I'd want to see Sezer in white and blue given his recent form, but as an organisation I can see why they wouldn't.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

They wouldn't only do it for 1 season. They'd sign him on a 3 year deal. They also already have 3 young guys in the halves.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

papabear wrote: July 29, 2019, 9:16 am he has been fantastic for us last three weeks, unlucky not to take points in all three matches.

Honestly, with the way he is playing I would be happy to have him for another year had we not bought the bloke from wigan.
He's playing with confidence. That's the big difference. Can't say that's been the case previous 18 months. Could have started with the failed move to hooker at the beginning of last year. He's not really been settled since.

While same applies to all halves in regards to confidence levels impacting the quality of their play. With Sezer I think the gap between the 2 is more exaggerated. While he's playing with confidence he's proving to be a valuable contributor.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

He's playing a hell of a lot better because he's just playing what's in front of him IMO, he's said numerous times now that he let the organising/running of the team effect his own game and he was quoted as saying(more than once now) that he was never an organising halfback growing up and in his early days at the titans and his game was always strongest when he ran first and kicked off the back of that,
Its very obvious he's playing more of an attacking 5/8 style lately rather than an organising halfback role, having Hodgson back from injury and in good form pulling the strings certainly helps take he pressure off him too.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

kiwi raider wrote: July 29, 2019, 11:06 am He's playing a hell of a lot better because he's just playing what's in front of him IMO, he's said numerous times now that he let the organising/running of the team effect his own game and he was quoted as saying(more than once now) that he was never an organising halfback growing up and in his early days at the titans and his game was always strongest when he ran first and kicked off the back of that,
Its very obvious he's playing more of an attacking 5/8 style lately rather than an organising halfback role, having Hodgson back from injury and in good form pulling the strings certainly helps take he pressure off him too.
Cant argue with any of that, but it also makes me feel better about next year.

We are essentially going into next year with 2 x 5/8s in Williams and Wighton. I think with Hodgo playing the organising role, havign those 2 run off him could work.

The other thing I hav noticed int he last couple of weeks is the first/second receiver roles between Sezer and Jack, its very old school rather than having half the field each.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders' Aidan Sezer wants to stay in NRL

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' Aidan Sezer wants to stay in NRL

Aidan Sezer has been linked with a move to Huddersfield, and Leeds were believed to be interested. But the 28-year-old is contracted to the Raiders for 2020 and could opt to stay in Canberra and fight for the No.7 jersey.

"I'm firmly focused on the next 10-12 weeks of the NRL and whatever happens happens. I'll leave that til the end of the year," Sezer said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Like pig said earlier the Bulldogs should go for him. Offload Foran and take Sezer - but there were wild rumours they were half interested in bringing Reynolds back. If the Dogs do that they deserve the spoon for the next 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Knights are the team that should be chasing Sezer. Much better option at 5/8 than Kurt Mann and I reckon he'd go well with Pearce.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 29, 2019, 9:08 pm Knights are the team that should be chasing Sezer. Much better option at 5/8 than Kurt Mann and I reckon he'd go well with Pearce.
Yeah that's not the worst idea either. And as such ive reported it. **** those *****, they dont need any bright ideas
This content is personally offensive and inflamatory.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

@Greeneyed closed my report without action
Deeply disappointed with this course of action.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: July 29, 2019, 9:34 pm @Greeneyed closed my report without action
I didn't understand the point of the report...
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Northern Raider wrote:
papabear wrote: July 29, 2019, 9:16 am he has been fantastic for us last three weeks, unlucky not to take points in all three matches.

He's playing with confidence. That's the big difference. Can't say that's been the case previous 18 months. Could have started with the failed move to hooker at the beginning of last year. He's not really been settled since.

While same applies to all halves in regards to confidence levels impacting the quality of their play. With Sezer I think the gap between the 2 is more exaggerated. While he's playing with confidence he's proving to be a valuable contributor.
I think sezers break out game was this year when he tried to play like Jack around origin 1. And he has played pretty well since then. Good on him.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: July 29, 2019, 9:35 pm
PigRickman wrote: July 29, 2019, 9:34 pm @Greeneyed closed my report without action
I didn't understand the point of the report...
No. Of course you didnt.
You dont understand me. You never did

*runs to his room crying*
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Please stay, Sezer...We still need a good backup half, you know, just in case of injury or this Williams doesn't turn out to be all they say...

Besides, I like him, and feel he's always copped a lot of unfair flak.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Northern Raider wrote: July 29, 2019, 9:08 pm Knights are the team that should be chasing Sezer. Much better option at 5/8 than Kurt Mann and I reckon he'd go well with Pearce.
I think Sezer with his experience would do quite well in a team playing alongside a dominant half like Pearce. If you're looking to save money on a position and you've got a good halfback, you would get a bit of value on Sezer I'd say... particularly if we're paying some of the contract in the first year.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Canberra Raiders' Aidan Sezer wants to stay in NRL

Post by LastRaider »

How Sezer has picked up his game over the past few weeks just frustrates me even more. He just coasts along delivering inconsistent performances for the last 3 years but as soon as some money is on the line he decides to improve his game.

The sooner he leaves the squad the better, can’t have players like that. We got rid of this attitude when Furner left as head coach
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

what money on the line?
He's contracted for this year and next. He has absolutely zero control over whether he gets more or less money than he's contracted to earn

I dont think LastRaider knows this is not a contract year :lol:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

PigRickman wrote: July 30, 2019, 8:53 am what money on the line?
He's contracted for this year and next. He has absolutely zero control over whether he gets more or less money than he's contracted to earn

Often there will be extensions when a player transfers clubs. Doubtful in Sezer's case if he goes to an NRL club but if he does head to ESL I'd say he'll be extended.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 30, 2019, 8:57 am

Often there will be extensions when a player transfers clubs. Doubtful in Sezer's case if he goes to an NRL club but if he does head to ESL I'd say he'll be extended.
Ok, but do you think he'll get more money in the ESL than his current deal?
It's a 2m pound cap over there. He's not playing harder or better now to secure more money,
And any NRL club he goes too, will result in a steep pay decrease once this deal ends... and again he has a contracted year left. If he keeps playing like this there is no gtd what so ever he earns a cent more, because the club might decide to just keep him, put him in mounties as back up and then in a years time he's totally cooked!

This narrative starting to build by usual suspects that Sezer has been phoning it in until now and is only playing well now because he's trying to get more money is utterly embarrassing :lol:
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

PigRickman wrote: July 30, 2019, 9:14 am

It's a 2m pound cap over there. He's not playing harder or better now to secure more money,
And any NRL club he goes too, will result in a steep pay decrease once this deal ends... and again he has a contracted year left. If he keeps playing like this there is no gtd what so ever he earns a cent more, because the club might decide to just keep him, put him in mounties as back up and then in a years time he's totally cooked!

This narrative starting to build by usual suspects that Sezer has been phoning it in until now and is only playing well now because he's trying to get more money is utterly embarrassing :lol:
Thats not entirely true - lets say he stays here for a year as a NSW cup player behind Wighton and Williams. He would receive the last year of contracted wages, lets say 600k. At the completion of that season his value will likely be low - he will have in all likely hood been playing in mounties for the year. That value could be 300-400k per se ( which is in the vicinity of a Sam Williams deal I would imagine).

Now the alternative, and the angle that most are commenting on is that he leaves at the end of this year, as a starting 7 in a top 6 NRL side. He would still retain his 600k for next year, regardless of what % the raiders vs his new club pay. However - lets say he signs with a 2-3 year contract NOW, his value is significantly higher given his current status in the game. That 3-400k may turn into 4-500k or more.

So playing well now and becoming an attractive purchase at the end of THIS season creates significantly more earning power than seeing out his contract net year with Mounties and then moving on for 2021.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

So let me get this straight.

Aiden Sezer has phoned in his footy at ages 25, 26 and 27, i.e his PRIME, just utterly phoned it in and hasnt even been trying, and now he has a chance to secure the

*checks notes*

golden goose that is a back up halves role at this club and a steep pay decrease, or get moved to another club for a pay decrease but not as steep, or finish his career in the ESL where he'll have his pay cut in half... that's when he begins to try?

:lol: As i said, that's utterly embarrassing
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Coastalraider wrote: July 30, 2019, 9:23 am
PigRickman wrote: July 30, 2019, 9:14 am

Thats not entirely true - lets say he stays here for a year as a NSW cup player behind Wighton and Williams. He would receive the last year of contracted wages, lets say 600k. At the completion of that season his value will likely be low - he will have in all likely hood been playing in mounties for the year. That value could be 300-400k per se ( which is in the vicinity of a Sam Williams deal I would imagine).

Now the alternative, and the angle that most are commenting on is that he leaves at the end of this year, as a starting 7 in a top 6 NRL side. He would still retain his 600k for next year, regardless of what % the raiders vs his new club pay. However - lets say he signs with a 2-3 year contract NOW, his value is significantly higher given his current status in the game. That 3-400k may turn into 4-500k or more.

So playing well now and becoming an attractive purchase at the end of THIS season creates significantly more earning power than seeing out his contract net year with Mounties and then moving on for 2021.
So this has been Sezer's cunning plan all along. :hmmm
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Aiden Sezer HAS been phoning it in over the last 3 years. His motivation for 'why now', is between his own ears and impossible for us to determine.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

PigRickman wrote: July 30, 2019, 9:31 am So let me get this straight.

Aiden Sezer has phoned in his footy at ages 25, 26 and 27, i.e his PRIME, just utterly phoned it in and hasnt even been trying, and now he has a chance to secure the

*checks notes*

golden goose that is a back up halves role at this club and a steep pay decrease, or get moved to another club for a pay decrease but not as steep, or finish his career in the ESL where he'll have his pay cut in half... that's when he begins to try?

No big fella, my point was that its beneficial financially for him to sign with another team now rather than see out his contract here for another year. Who do you think is worth more right now on an open market - Sezer or Sam Williams? Because in 12 months, Sezer will be in exactly the same space as Sammy is now.

I didn't comment on why his performance has had massive fluctuations over the years.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Beejay wrote: July 30, 2019, 9:44 am Aiden Sezer HAS been phoning it in over the last 3 years. His motivation for 'why now', is between his own ears and impossible for us to determine.
We can only guess but as I said earlier I think he's regained confidence. Last year Sticky tried to make him a hooker/becnh utility. When he finally settled back into a halves role the entire team was going ordinary. This year he got replaced by Williams after injury and took a stint at the Mounties before getting another chance. He's gradually impoved week to week since then.

Again we don't know for certain but this is the most plausible explanation to me.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Coastalraider wrote: July 30, 2019, 9:56 am
PigRickman wrote: July 30, 2019, 9:31 am So let me get this straight.

*checks notes*

No big fella, my point was that its beneficial financially for him to sign with another team now rather than see out his contract here for another year. Who do you think is worth more right now on an open market - Sezer or Sam Williams? Because in 12 months, Sezer will be in exactly the same space as Sammy is now.

I didn't comment on why his performance has had massive fluctuations over the years.
But he can't sign with another team now. He's contracted to us until the end of 2020. Right now Sam Williams is worth more on the open market because... well he IS on the open market and Sezer is not.

Let me craft a different narrative.
Perhaps, Sezer and Blake Austin weren't a good fit, in fact i dont even think that is up for debate anymore, many of us thought it was going to be great, it wasnt, it was a bad fit
So his form in the years with Blake are explained by Austin being more assertive as a halves partner, recieving more footy than he should have and leaving Sezer to feel unsure of his spot and the two halves and Hodgson just not gelling the way we thought they would... then the coach plays him at hooker and he has some injuries, and ultimately we're 3 years deep and it hasnt worked out and he's a bad signing.

Now 2019, and now he's partnered with Wighton. He plays very well in the opening game vs Titans, we get absolutely belted off the park in the Storm game and everyone is on his case again, but he's hurt too, so off he goes and in comes Sam. The team keeps winning and people think it's the change in halves, when now we know it's just this team is actually good. And eventually we all finally agree we've had enough of Sam Williams trash **** defence holding us back, especially when he is proving to be no better than Sezer with ball in hand and now Sezer is back, and is playing well.

And we summise that this is not best explained by circumstances, or a purple patch of form (and lets remember, his form is now *checks notes* 3 weeks old! THREE WEEKS! That's all, it's been 3 games where no one has argued he sucked) that is likely to regress again at some point, but that he has phoned in his contract with us and has not tried to play his best footy?

I mean, honestly... i really sometimes believe Raiders fans are some of the worst **** fans alive. This is one of those times
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Aidan Sezer has given the club his all every single week. Players go through periods where they're struggling, for whatever reason. Maybe they're being asked to perform a role that doesn't suit their natural talents, even when they work on it, what they're being asked to do, it is not going to work. What I keep hearing from the team is that the attack is being "simplified"... and guess what's happening? Aidan Sezer is playing with a lot more confidence and is producing great results on field.

By the way, based on my limited interactions with him, he seems like a very good bloke. A nice person, humble. I'd love to see him stay if the cap is there.