Moderator: GH Moderators

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Aidan Sezer to battle for 2020 Canberra Raiders spot

Post by Coastalraider »

Northern Raider wrote: July 26, 2019, 10:23 pm
raiderskater wrote: July 26, 2019, 10:15 pm
Zip Zip wrote: July 25, 2019, 10:34 pm Am I the only one who is super nervous about Williams? I'm not convinced he's going to come over here and light it up, like he does in the SL.

Almost wondering whether it's better the devil you know... If we finish in the top 4 this year, we'll have done it twice in four years with Sezer at the helm. I'm not convinced that we can't win the premiership with him at 7. His ceiling isn't that high, sure, but his floor is pretty high.
I'm nervous largely because surely, surely at some point our luck with the English imports will run out. We've now had four come out and immediately start ripping in and killing it. Surely we couldn't be so lucky as to have five.
You mean other than Jordan Turner?
I see that as a different story, he came over by himself. Smelly and Hodgo came together from the National squad, so were already proven to a degree. Bateman and Sutton came from the title winning team and on Hodgo recommendation. That holds a lot of weight for mine. Williams is national team half, from the championship winning team, and on recommendation from Hodgo and Bateman.

If those 2 boys came into my office and recommended a player, I’d get the contract ready on the spot.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Coastalraider wrote: July 27, 2019, 9:17 am
Zip Zip wrote: July 25, 2019, 10:34 pm Am I the only one who is super nervous about Williams? I'm not convinced he's going to come over here and light it up, like he does in the SL.

Almost wondering whether it's better the devil you know... If we finish in the top 4 this year, we'll have done it twice in four years with Sezer at the helm. I'm not convinced that we can't win the premiership with him at 7. His ceiling isn't that high, sure, but his floor is pretty high.
I'm nervous largely because surely, surely at some point our luck with the English imports will run out. We've now had four come out and immediately start ripping in and killing it. Surely we couldn't be so lucky as to have five.
I see that as a different story, he came over by himself. Smelly and Hodgo came together from the National squad, so were already proven to a degree. Bateman and Sutton came from the title winning team and on Hodgo recommendation. That holds a lot of weight for mine. Williams is national team half, from the championship winning team, and on recommendation from Hodgo and Bateman.

If those 2 boys came into my office and recommended a player, I’d get the contract ready on the spot.
So he doesn't count as an English import? :?

The main difference is he wasn't as good a player as the others. It's not a case of luck. The good players go well. The average players don't. Sticky making his own luck in that regard.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:

The main difference is he wasn't as good a player as the others. It's not a case of luck. The good players go well. The average players don't. Sticky making his own luck in that regard.
He does, but apparently we didn't scout him.. he knocked on our door

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The guy has been outplaying Wighton for a couple of weeks. He's a different player when he gets a decent amount of ball from Hodgo in good field position. He's a solid defender and has a good short kick when his confidence is up.

I hope for his sake something works out for him next season as he is first grade quality when his head is in the game. I sense there has been a few unsettling off field issues he's dealt with recently, but that could be totally off the mark.

Fingers crossed he hits his potential the next few months. If he does he can be a real weapon for us. I honestly believe that.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He's playing good footy. It's good for him and good for us. He'll get a gig somewhere next year off the back of his good form and we'll wish him well. The only complication would be if we exceed expectations and win the comp. But wouldn't that be a lovely pickle to be in.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BadnMean wrote: July 27, 2019, 1:04 pm He's playing good footy. It's good for him and good for us. He'll get a gig somewhere next year off the back of his good form and we'll wish him well. The only complication would be if we exceed expectations and win the comp. But wouldn't that be a lovely pickle to be in.
I don't really see it as a complication if we win the comp... it would likely snag him a better deal and if he goes then good on him for winning a premiership with us before his departure. Even premiership winning teams need to keep their squad fresh imo, you need to continue improving your squad against improving competition.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 27, 2019, 1:28 pm
BadnMean wrote: July 27, 2019, 1:04 pm He's playing good footy. It's good for him and good for us. He'll get a gig somewhere next year off the back of his good form and we'll wish him well. The only complication would be if we exceed expectations and win the comp. But wouldn't that be a lovely pickle to be in.
I don't really see it as a complication if we win the comp... it would likely snag him a better deal and if he goes then good on him for winning a premiership with us before his departure. Even premiership winning teams need to keep their squad fresh imo, you need to continue improving your squad against improving competition.
Might be his best shot at a premiership. His likely landing spots for next year are not going to competing for a title any time soon.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Northern Raider wrote: July 27, 2019, 1:36 pm Might be his best shot at a premiership. His likely landing spots for next year are not going to competing for a title any time soon.
This year is without a doubt his best shot at an NRL premiership. I hope that fact motivates him and he carries his recent form on in to the finals. Thurston made comments on telly last night about how now is his time to shine. He's playing in a top 4 team behind a good forward pack creating plenty of space for him. I couldn't agree more - he's got all the tools for success in front of him, it's now up to him to make it work.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

-TW- wrote: July 27, 2019, 10:03 am
Northern Raider wrote:

Yeah that was the big distinction I was trying to make. He came here solo on bottom dollar to see what he could do, everyone else was a targeted recruit with either existing combinations or recommendations.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 27, 2019, 1:28 pm
Good points.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Coastalraider wrote: July 27, 2019, 1:48 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

Yeah that was the big distinction I was trying to make. He came here solo on bottom dollar to see what he could do, everyone else was a targeted recruit with either existing combinations or recommendations.
Regardless we're still not 4 from 4 with out English imports. We're 4 from 5. That back story doesn't mean he didn't exist.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Zip Zip wrote: July 26, 2019, 7:41 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 25, 2019, 10:50 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: July 25, 2019, 10:41 pm

Well I'm not nervous. George Williams will kill it. Sezer is having his Bronson Harrison moment. And if you reckon that "having Sezer at the helm" is either true or what led us to make the top four once, then a two year fail, then maybe this year, theres this bridge etc etc....
You have more confidence than me in Williams, unless we have different definitions of 'kill it'. That said I'm still highly confident he's an upgrade on what we've had in recent times, maybe even longer. Not really had a top half since Campo prior to blowing his knees.
I’m not suggesting that Sezer is the reason that we finished/might finish top 4. I’m simply saying that George Williams is an unknown prospect at NRL level and that worries me.

I’ll reiterate - we made/might make the top 4 with Sezer and I think if you’re good enough to make the top 4, you’re good enough to win the comp.

We’re on the verge of making a huge change to a strategy that is going pretty well. I hope it works.
I understand the nerves. George Williams will face a tougher challenge than the other four Poms because he’ll come into the hardest spot with most expectation. But I still think it’s worthwhile.

I’m not a Sezer hater but the theory that he’s been part of the top four/possible top four runs shouldn’t preclude us from trying to upgrade. Sam Williams has played in more games this season than Sezer so the theory could be applied to him too.

George is a bit of a gamble but it’s a calculated one based on the same formula that has worked multiple times for us recently. Regardless of how it turns out, I’m supportive of the move.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Daily Telegraph is reporting he is likely to be released to join Huddersfield, coached by Simon Woolford.

On the subject of English imports in the Stuart era, you probably have to include Soliola in that. I know he is not English bit it was a long long time since he played in the NRL and in a completely different position.

He has been a massive positive too.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Bay53 wrote: July 27, 2019, 7:13 pm Daily Telegraph is reporting he is likely to be released to join Huddersfield, coached by Simon Woolford.

On the subject of English imports in the Stuart era, you probably have to include Soliola in that. I know he is not English bit it was a long long time since he played in the NRL and in a completely different position.

No, you don't have to include Sia as an English import. Sam Williams doesn't count either.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 27, 2019, 2:26 pm
Coastalraider wrote: July 27, 2019, 1:48 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

Regardless we're still not 4 from 4 with out English imports. We're 4 from 5. That back story doesn't mean he didn't exist.
It's easy to shoot 100% when you exclude the misses! :roflmao
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

I should know better than to jump in on a greenhouse argument about semantics

But I feel we are 4 from 4 from the English players that we have activily targeted and recruited to improve our top squad, and the gamble being English players that have never played NRL b4.

So that excludes Sia and Sam as we had seen them in NRL b4 and excludes jordan Turner as he is even lower on the pay scale and potential as say a Brad Abbey.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Northern Raider wrote: July 27, 2019, 7:23 pm
Bay53 wrote: July 27, 2019, 7:13 pm Daily Telegraph is reporting he is likely to be released to join Huddersfield, coached by Simon Woolford.

No, you don't have to include Sia as an English import. Sam Williams doesn't count either.
No, Sia wasn’t an English import nor a totally unknown quantity but he is another example of plucking a guy out of the ESL who no one else wanted but who turned out to be fantastic.

The point is relevant because we’re talking about the risk of signing someone from outside the NRL, in this case George Williams, and the likelihood of him succeeding. Jordan Turner is the only failure so far and he wasn’t pursued or expected to be a key contributor. All the players we actively chased and/or bet on doing well did do well.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Yeah others are putting my point better. I’m not saying don’t include Turner because he didn’t work out. I’m saying I don’t have a huge concern that Williams will flop just because Turner did. One turned up to see if he could hack it, approached the club for a
chance. The other was specifically targeted, and comes recommended by some of our best quality players and leaders.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Haha, people are reading way too much into this. Raiderskater said we were 4 from 4 on successful English imports. I mentioned Jordan Turner as one that wasn't. This triggered a masterclass in over thinking.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

We're doing OK

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Canberra Raiders half Aidan Sezer could be released to Huddersfield

ONCE touted as a future NSW Origin player, Canberra’s Aidan Sezer is just days away from being released with a year to run on his deal to join the UK Super League club Huddersfield. Sezer’s departure will then free-up salary cap space to re-sign winger Jordan Rapana.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 3973c217b6
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I get the feeling it would be an announcement within days to release next season - ala Maloney. I would be seriously amazed if he is released from duties immediately.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote:Haha, people are reading way too much into this. Raiderskater said we were 4 from 4 on successful English imports. I mentioned Jordan Turner as one that wasn't. This triggered a masterclass in over thinking.
Seems they’re drawing a reasonable distinction for me.

For those wanting to count Soliola/S. Williams just don’t forget you’re including Matt Orford Image
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gangrenous wrote: July 28, 2019, 8:24 am
Northern Raider wrote:Haha, people are reading way too much into this. Raiderskater said we were 4 from 4 on successful English imports. I mentioned Jordan Turner as one that wasn't. This triggered a masterclass in over thinking.

For those wanting to count Soliola/S. Williams just don’t forget you’re including Matt Orford Image
....plus the biggest distinction that Jordan didn't cut it. So 4 from 5.

Counting Sia, Sam and Orford we're 5 from 8. :D
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 28, 2019, 9:39 am

We know Jordan was far too old, but what was his failing?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

sprintman wrote: July 28, 2019, 9:45 am

Not quite sure the context of your question. Are you asking why he didn't play 1st grade?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

sprintman wrote:

He wasn't very good..

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coastalraider wrote: July 28, 2019, 8:19 am I get the feeling it would be an announcement within days to release next season - ala Maloney. I would be seriously amazed if he is released from duties immediately.
It’d be for next season.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

-TW- wrote: July 28, 2019, 10:21 am
sprintman wrote:

He wasn't very good..

Obviously, but lack of speed, couldn’t tackle, etc etc?
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

sprintman wrote: July 28, 2019, 1:02 pm
-TW- wrote: July 28, 2019, 10:21 am
sprintman wrote:

He wasn't very good..

Obviously, but lack of speed, couldn’t tackle, etc etc?
etc etc
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Aidan Sezer to be released to Huddersfield?

Post by Billy Walker »

Anyone else think Sezer’s quote in the original article was a bit odd. He essentially said - “What happens next year is beyond my control..”. I’d have thought it’s very much within his control. If he puts on a Masterclass for the ages today and maintains the same form all the way through to land us a premiership it would go a fair way to help his cause.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Billy Walker wrote: July 28, 2019, 4:04 pm Anyone else think Sezer’s quote in the original article was a bit odd. He essentially said - “What happens next year is beyond my control..”. I’d have thought it’s very much within his control. If he puts on a Masterclass for the ages today and maintains the same form all the way through to land us a premiership it would go a fair way to help his cause.
He's more of a realist than some on here that are anticipating a Joey Johns run of form from him through the finals.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Coastalraider wrote: July 27, 2019, 9:17 pm Yeah others are putting my point better. I’m not saying don’t include Turner because he didn’t work out. I’m saying I don’t have a huge concern that Williams will flop just because Turner did. One turned up to see if he could hack it, approached the club for a
chance. The other was specifically targeted, and comes recommended by some of our best quality players and leaders.
It's one from two in terms of speculative signings (Turner and Sutton) and three from three with the internationals.

Williams is an international.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sezer was very good again today. His running game has picked up and he got himself into position for a last tackle kick, when we were disorganised.

That’s the real important one for me.
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

He's a great little Defender gone along way to Helping us