Through green eyes 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Through green eyes 2019

Post by greeneyed »

I think you're thinking of Peter, not Steve.

Nickman might like to add, as he came along to the brunch as well.

It was mostly stories like the Steve Jackson try in extra time... and all those little moments in the game I mentioned last week. How important the Chris O'Sullivan field goal was, according to Matty Wood. The Tigers complaining about "that" obstruction penalty. Sironen told how he and Roach were taken off... but that is what Ryan had done in other games when they were trying to close them out.

Jackson told again the story of how the Tigers and Raiders players had a "reunion" function on a boat in Sydney Harbour, possibly for the 25th anniversary. Steve Jackson goes up to Steve Roach as says... "I don't know if you remember me, but I'm Steve Jackson". Bloker says... "Remember you? You ruined my life!"

They again told the story of how the Raiders were the no names at the Grand Final breakfast and Steve Jackson didn't even have a spot, and had to have breakfast at the hotel with the trainers. The MC knew all the names of the Tigers, introducing them one by one. Then the MC introduced Mal Meninga and Gary Belcher and that was the limit of his knowledge of the Raiders players. Matty Wood said he didn't even notice until it was pointed out a long time later.

If you watch The Greenhouse Live segment with Steve Jackson (please do!), he tells some of those stories.

You must get a hold of the entire game, with the Channel 10 Sydney commentary. Don't fall for the Channel 10 Brisbane or ABC commentary versions. It is a stunning game. Certainly one of the best games of rugby league I've ever seen, and the certainly the best grand final.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

BadnMean wrote:
greeneyed wrote: July 25, 2019, 8:21 pm
BadnMean wrote: July 25, 2019, 6:37 pm Nice article. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I wonder if when Siro answered, "Respect"- did he mean for occasion of the GF? For his opponents? For the game itself?

It's really good of him and Brasher to come down, 30 years on, to a rival fan day to boot and share their time. Hope they were well looked after.
Thanks. I think he meant for the opponents and the game. Said he hates the Raiders players and loves them... all except Steve Jackson! The players would have interacted a bit in rep teams.

Looks like Fox Sports will have another doco, where the players from both teams are interviewed while watching the replay of the 89 decider.
Ok, nice. If Balmain have a reunion gig ever I bet it's the kind of thing Sticky turns up to, if asked. When he says he does a lot to promote the game- from what I hear he does all those kinds of little things too.

I'm guessing Siro loved Jacko? Poor bugger seems to have been popular but his demons got to him in the end.

Anything else you picked up from the Q and A as a fan?

Hmmm I live in Singapore at the moment so I only have the Watchnrl overseas pass. I wonder if that show will be available. I get most fox league shows.

I've actually never seen anything replays of '89 except the 30-40 youtube highlights- at the time I was watching it on TV in Weston Creek (Rivett) on the day. Then dad took me out to the reception in civic as a kid. We had season tickets that year of '89 and kept them until the Super League era. Not that we were anti- SL, it was just time had passed and it was a damp squib.
A fellow Rivett lad! Similar era, too, I imagine. Were we in class together at Rivett Primary?

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

T_R wrote: July 25, 2019, 9:54 pm
BadnMean wrote:
greeneyed wrote: July 25, 2019, 8:21 pm
BadnMean wrote: July 25, 2019, 6:37 pm Nice article. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I wonder if when Siro answered, "Respect"- did he mean for occasion of the GF? For his opponents? For the game itself?

It's really good of him and Brasher to come down, 30 years on, to a rival fan day to boot and share their time. Hope they were well looked after.
Thanks. I think he meant for the opponents and the game. Said he hates the Raiders players and loves them... all except Steve Jackson! The players would have interacted a bit in rep teams.

Looks like Fox Sports will have another doco, where the players from both teams are interviewed while watching the replay of the 89 decider.
Ok, nice. If Balmain have a reunion gig ever I bet it's the kind of thing Sticky turns up to, if asked. When he says he does a lot to promote the game- from what I hear he does all those kinds of little things too.

I'm guessing Siro loved Jacko? Poor bugger seems to have been popular but his demons got to him in the end.

Anything else you picked up from the Q and A as a fan?

Hmmm I live in Singapore at the moment so I only have the Watchnrl overseas pass. I wonder if that show will be available. I get most fox league shows.

I've actually never seen anything replays of '89 except the 30-40 youtube highlights- at the time I was watching it on TV in Weston Creek (Rivett) on the day. Then dad took me out to the reception in civic as a kid. We had season tickets that year of '89 and kept them until the Super League era. Not that we were anti- SL, it was just time had passed and it was a damp squib.
A fellow Rivett lad! Similar era, too, I imagine. Were we in class together at Rivett Primary?

I was born in '79 but lived in Holder first, so I went to Holder primary. In year 4 I switched to Chapman; my street was just in the Chapman zone apparently, up near Goodenia and Darwinia.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Ah, I was five years ahead of you and educated within the exclusive sandstone walls of Rivett Primary Academy For Gifted Children.

I grew up in Sollya Place, by the way, which runs into Goodenia. Reptar from here was just down the road, too.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: July 25, 2019, 9:38 pm I think you're thinking of Peter, not Steve.

Nickman might like to add, as he came along to the brunch as well.

It was mostly stories like the Steve Jackson try in extra time... and all those little moments in the game I mentioned last week. How important the Chris O'Sullivan field goal was, according to Matty Wood. The Tigers complaining about "that" obstruction penalty. Sironen told how he and Roach were taken off... but that is what Ryan had done in other games when they were trying to close them out.

Jackson told again the story of how the Tigers and Raiders players had a "reunion" function on a boat in Sydney Harbour, possibly for the 25th anniversary. Steve Jackson goes up to Steve Roach as says... "I don't know if you remember me, but I'm Steve Jackson". Bloker says... "Remember you? You ruined my life!"

They again told the story of how the Raiders were the no names at the Grand Final breakfast and Steve Jackson didn't even have a spot, and had to have breakfast at the hotel with the trainers. The MC knew all the names of the Tigers, introducing them one by one. Then the MC introduced Mal Meninga and Gary Belcher and that was the limit of his knowledge of the Raiders players. Matty Wood said he didn't even notice until it was pointed out a long time later.

If you watch The Greenhouse Live segment with Steve Jackson (please do!), he tells some of those stories.

You must get a hold of the entire game, with the Channel 10 Sydney commentary. Don't fall for the Channel 10 Brisbane or ABC commentary versions. It is a stunning game. Certainly one of the best games of rugby league I've ever seen, and the certainly the best grand final.
The one thing that really stood out for me was Timmy Brasher essentially saying "I played a grand final in my first season of A-Grade, and just assumed there'd be many more to come, so wasn't as devastated as the older guys. Turns out I only ever played one more finals match the next year which we lost, never sighted another one. Never take anything for granted."

The young Raiders guys really impressed me too, especially Hudson Young. Basically said what he did was a stupid act, and he was prepared to take his medicine and come back through Mounties. Really spoke well up on stage and to Fergus and I afterwards. All four just kept reiterating attitude and defence when asked about basically anything too, which just highlights the attitude across the whole squad in 2019. Just such a super-impressive season to date and Ricky Stuart deserves all the credit in the world.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

T_R wrote:Ah, I was five years ahead of you and educated within the exclusive sandstone walls of Rivett Primary Academy For Gifted Children.

I grew up in Sollya Place, by the way, which runs into Goodenia. Reptar from here was just down the road, too.
Yes, I didn't live in a mansion like T_R, but did live on Goodenia Street, near the esteemed educational Institute. He was the year above.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

reptar wrote: July 26, 2019, 5:30 pm
T_R wrote:Ah, I was five years ahead of you and educated within the exclusive sandstone walls of Rivett Primary Academy For Gifted Children.

Yes, I didn't live in a mansion like T_R, but did live on Goodenia Street, near the esteemed educational Institute. He was the year above.
Damn good point. I should have emphasised that I grew up in Sollya Place Heights Ocean View Estates, commanding 360 degree views over the riff-raff.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Darn good article this week GE!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote: July 26, 2019, 8:07 pm Darn good article this week GE!

GE! You forgot to switch accounts!

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: July 26, 2019, 8:21 pm

I only have one account!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote: July 26, 2019, 8:30 pm
T_R wrote: July 26, 2019, 8:21 pm

I only have one account!
Good recovery

reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

YupImage
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

The funny thing about the Steve Jackson try is it didn’t actually win the premiership. We were 15-14 up before he scored it so if there were no more scores we win.

Jackson scores and Mal misses what these days would be considered a pretty easy conversion. Score 19-14.

There is still a couple of mins after that where if Balmain score a converted try they win.

But who wants to let truth get in the way of the great stories!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

In those days, in a Grand Final, it really was a match sealer. It's not like these days when teams concede two tries in the final two minutes regularly.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

As soon as we got back on level terms the game was over. We had all the momentum and Tigers were absolutely shot.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

T_R wrote: July 26, 2019, 9:45 am Ah, I was five years ahead of you and educated within the exclusive sandstone walls of Rivett Primary Academy For Gifted Children.

That makes it a cluster then. Government should look into it. An investigation!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

T_R wrote: July 26, 2019, 8:02 pm

Damn good point. I should have emphasised that I grew up in Sollya Place Heights Ocean View Estates, commanding 360 degree views over the riff-raff.
I didn't want to say it but up near Darwinia is Rivett Heights... Nearly killed myself trying to ride a skateboard from the park with the skate ramp down the big hill and through the underpass. :lol:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

BadnMean wrote:

I didn't want to say it but up near Darwinia is Rivett Heights... Nearly killed myself trying to ride a skateboard from the park with the skate ramp down the big hill and through the underpass. Image
Ha! Our place backed onto that path.

reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

BadnMean wrote:

I didn't want to say it but up near Darwinia is Rivett Heights... Nearly killed myself trying to ride a skateboard from the park with the skate ramp down the big hill and through the underpass. Image
I once road my bike down the Goodenia Street hill and the brakes failed and I ended up being taken out by a branch of a cherry tree. **** that hurt!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Even now, the path on that hill is 50% concrete, 48% skin from my knees and 2% my teeth.

reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

T_R wrote:Even now, the path on that hill is 50% concrete, 48% skin from my knees and 2% my teeth.

Something's gotta hold the cracks together
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: As I saw it

"Very tough. We've got out to leads like that before. We've had some very tough battles with Penrith over many years over the time I've coached here. They did a good job at the back end of it to keep the scoreline to where it was. The way the first 10 minutes unfolded was good for us. There were a couple of games where we had a couple of early line breaks, scored some early points and we tended to go off the game a touch. That scenario in the first 10 or 15 minutes got our heads on and into the battle. They had 96 per cent of the footy in the first 11 minutes. We had a hell of a lot of work to do in that first stanza in the game.

"We're not there yet, to be quite honest. It's a matter of getting into a healthy position on the table. We're not there yet and don't deserve that. We're not interested in what other people have got to say about where we are as a squad, where we are as a football team. We know where we're at. We know what we've got to keep improving on and where we've got to get to. There's more pieces to our game that we've got to keep improving on."

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Round 19 2019. Canberra Raiders 30 - Penrith Panthers 18. Sunday afternoon football. A perfect winter blue sky day. And the Raiders went to Penrith to face a Panthers team on a seven game winning streak, in front of a big, hostile crowd. They left with the Sydney critics starting to seriously ask the question: "Are the Raiders the real deal? Are they now in the top echelon of teams?" Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says no. They're not there yet. But there is no doubt about this: it was a wonderful win for the Green Machine at the foot of the mountains.

I have to admit, I was very worried travelling from Canberra to Penrith on the morning of the game. The Panthers attacking style has proven to be very difficult for the Raiders to handle in the past. Remember Bathurst? The opening to the match initially seemed to confirm my worst fears.

The Panthers started on fire and held the ball continuously for 10 minutes. But while the Raiders conceded the opening try to the Panthers in just the third minute, their defence and resolve was absolutely outstanding for that first 10 or 11 minutes. It was attack of the highest order from Penrith and Canberra held them out time after time. Finally, the Raiders survived the blitz - and there is no doubt it set the tone for the rest of the match.

Late in the second half, the Raiders were subjected to another blitz. It took an incredible six repeat sets in the red zone for the Panthers before James Tamou could finally crack the green wall.

While the Raiders conceded three tries, given the nature of the opposition - a team that can very quickly pile on many points - the defence won the match for the Raiders. Canberra repeatedly halted the Panthers' momentum, and that then created opportunities for the Raiders' own attack.

The Raiders' victory confirmed their place in the top four and they have maintained their distance from the teams chasing them. There are just six games to go in the regular season, and it is a difficult run home. For a start, there is a very quick turnaround and a trip to Auckland against the Warriors. There are clashes with the Storm, Roosters and Sea Eagles to come. But since the mid point of the season, the Raiders have been growing. Growing further in defensive resolve, growing in confidence. But there are also signs that the Raiders attack is developing as well. They're well placed for the run to the finals.

Stats that mattered?

The Raiders ended the match with an improbable even share of possession, after the Panthers had 55 per cent of the ball and 70 per cent of the territory in the first half. On the back of their early possession, the Panthers made more runs (181-148), more running metres (1545-1390), more kick return metres (266-127) and more metres per set (38.6-36.6) than the Raiders.

Despite the Panthers' complaints about the ruck speed, their average play the ball speed was faster than the Raiders (3.3-3.8 seconds). Frankly, I don't understand the kerfuffle from the Panthers about the refereeing. Compared to the average refereeing performances these days, the officials were actually pretty good.

Canberra was better than their opponent in a number of areas. The Raiders had the better completion rate (84 per cent, compared with 75 per cent for the Panthers). The Raiders made more tackle breaks (38-24), more post contact metres (434-396), more line breaks (5-3) and one more offload (8-7) than the Panthers. The Raiders made more kicking metres (578-357) from a similar number of kicks (around 20 for both teams). Canberra was often forced to kick long to get out of trouble, but they did the job.

The Panthers forced three line drop outs, to the Raiders' one - and kicked seven grubbers to the Raiders' three. Both teams produced four bombs. But Canberra's kick defusal rate was not far off perfect (90 per cent, compared with 67 per cent for the Panthers).

The Raiders made more tackles (330-313), while the Panthers missed more (38-24) and produced one more ineffective tackle (10-9). The Raiders ended with the more effective tackle rate - at almost 91 per cent (Panthers just under 87 per cent). The error counts were close (Panthers 13, Raiders 12), while the Raiders conceded more penalties (7-4).

Ultimately, the team that was more solid in defence won out over the team with the "flashier" attack. And despite all those runs and running metres for the Panthers, it was the Raiders that scored six tries to three.

Memorable moments? While the defence was terrific for the Raiders, it was more that the team was cool, calm and collected in containing the opposition. And rather than one moment in defence, there were whole periods of defence on the Raiders' own line that stick in the mind... the opening 10 minutes, the six repeat sets mentioned earlier. With six tries, there were also some great moments in attack. The first try for Papalii was not spectacular, but the skill involved from Josh Hodgson to set it up, and Papalii's determined run were something to remember. Jordan Rapana's try in the corner was certainly spectacular, grounding the ball in the corner, just inside the touchline. But the best Raiders try came early in the second half. It was set in motion by John Bateman, before Michael Oldfield put in a perfect kick in field for Aidan Sezer. A breath taking try.

Oh... I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the one on one steals from Josh Hodgson and John Bateman. They are craftsmen in this department of the highest order.

Best performers?

John Bateman. He was everywhere! He was sensational! One try, 13 runs for 165 metres, 69 post contact metres, seven tackle breaks, one one on one steal, two offloads, 42 tackles, 96 per cent tackle efficiency, one kick defused.

Josh Hodgson. Five runs for 20 metres, one line break assist, one try assist, three dummy half runs, one one on one steal, 39 tackles, five kicks for 140 metres.

Aidan Sezer. One try, seven runs for 55 metres, six tackle breaks, two offloads, two dummies, 23 tackles, five kicks for 112 metres.

Top tacklers: John Bateman 42, Josh Hodgson 39, Elliott Whitehead 31.
Most metres gained: John Bateman 165, Jack Wighton 125, Jordan Rapana 114.

My player ratings:

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 7
Bailey Simonsson 6
Jarrod Croker 6
Michael Oldfield 6
Jordan Rapana 7
Jack Wighton 7
Aidan Sezer 7
Josh Papalii 7
Josh Hodgson 8
Sia Soliola 7
John Bateman 9
Elliott Whitehead 7
Joe Tapine 6

Siliva Havili 5
Emre Guler 5
Corey Horsburgh 6
Dunamis Lui 7

Do you agree or disagree with the ratings? Let us know!

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders

If you can put some sentences together and you'd like to write a regular column for The Greenhouse, let us know! We are keen to have more contributing writers!
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Agree with the 9 for Bateman. That was one of the best all round performances I have seen from a second rower.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think I fully agree with all the scores.

As mentioned by people yesterday, Lui’s defence on the line a few times was outstanding. Cut down Panthers players looking for the try line in their tracks.

Also appreciated the way he dived on the loose ball using his body to shield it and he also took a couple of strong hit ups late in sets when we were struggling to get off our line. One run in particular stood out.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: July 29, 2019, 4:52 pm I think I fully agree with all the scores.

As mentioned by people yesterday, Lui’s defence on the line a few times was outstanding. Cut down Panthers players looking for the try line in their tracks.

Also appreciated the way he dived on the loose ball using his body to shield it and he also took a couple of strong hit ups late in sets when we were struggling to get off our line. One run in particular stood out.
He's having a very good year. When many of us thought he'd struggle to make the 17 at the start of the year. Now at times he'll do a hit or a charge and I've thought it was Papa doing it at first. That's high praise.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I think it was probably our best win of the year. Real resolve in defence, looked dangerous every time we had the ball and an all round complete 80 minute performance.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

reptar wrote: July 27, 2019, 6:57 pm
BadnMean wrote:

I once road my bike down the Goodenia Street hill and the brakes failed and I ended up being taken out by a branch of a cherry tree. **** that hurt!
Well that explains a lot. :D
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Good write up GE. Just on the Sezer try - it all began with an offload by Saliva to Hodgo. He had a look up at the defence (more and more the Raiders players are now looking for opportunities) and threw a cut out pass to JB but it was still a 3 on 3. His footwork and strength drew 2 and the pass to Rapa and then quick pass to Oldfield got him into space. The kick ahead was perfect as was the chase, gather and put down by Sezer. The whole movement should be on attacking highlghts reel for 2019.

A pity more people don't look at defensive highlights (other than big hits) because the Raiders had plenty in this match. Set after set stopping Panthers plays, you could see the frustration in them building particularly when they had possession dominance.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: July 29, 2019, 5:33 pm

He's having a very good year. When many of us thought he'd struggle to make the 17 at the start of the year. Now at times he'll do a hit or a charge and I've thought it was Papa doing it at first. That's high praise.
Not me! I've been a fan of Lui's for years now. Has a definite place in my 17, probably coming off the bench where he can keep the momentum and go-forward happening.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

The Rickman wrote: July 30, 2019, 12:09 pm
BadnMean wrote: July 29, 2019, 5:33 pm

Not me! I've been a fan of Lui's for years now. Has a definite place in my 17, probably coming off the bench where he can keep the momentum and go-forward happening.
He's earned it.

It was an early clue Ricky knew what was to come way back in pre-season when he regarded Lui as such a banker he only needed to see half a trial from him.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

T_R wrote: July 27, 2019, 3:12 pm
BadnMean wrote:

Ha! Our place backed onto that path.

I look down on you all from my palace in upper Chapman.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: Three quarter time

Where has the 2019 season gone? There is now one quarter of the regular season left... just six games.

The Raiders are very well placed on the ladder, equal with the Roosters on 26 competition points, and fourth on points differential. They have won 12 games and lost six.

The NRL has been playing 24 matches per season for the past 17 years. In nine of those years, 12 wins has been enough to qualify for the finals - though in four of those years, there were teams with 12 wins that missed out.

In three of those years, 13 wins were required to qualify. In 2018, 12 wins was certainly not enough to make the finals. Unusually, the eighth placed team qualified with 15 wins - and the ninth placed Tigers, with 12, did not.

In the other four years, teams qualified for the finals with less than 12 wins. Some pundits are suggesting that less than 12 wins might be needed to make the top eight in 2019. But if the Raiders get one more win from their past six, they'll certainly have qualified.

Of course, the Raiders will be hoping that they do a whole lot better than just making the top eight. Now they have a top four spot - which gives teams a second bite at the cherry in the finals - they will certainly want to hold on to it. A top two spot - which guarantees a first up home final - would be even better.

The run home is not easy for the Green Machine. They face two teams above them on the ladder - and another that is nipping at their heels. Canberra also faces the Sharks in what will probably be the last home game for captain Paul Gallen.

The run home

New Zealand Warriors (12th) away
Sydney Roosters (3rd) home
Melbourne Storm (1st) away
Manly Sea Eagles (5th) home
Cronulla Sharks (10th) away
New Zealand Warriors (12th) home

But the bottom line is the Raiders need to beat the likes of the Storm, the Roosters, the Sea Eagles if they are to be genuine premiership contenders. They have not beaten any of the "big three" so far. While the Raiders have won five of their past six games, the next six weeks will be their real proving ground.

After the win over the Panthers on Sunday, Canberra coach Ricky Stuart was asked if the Raiders were now genuine challengers? Are they now in the top echelon of teams?

This is what he said: "We're not there yet, to be quite honest. It's a matter of getting into a healthy position on the table. We're not there yet and don't deserve that. We're not interested in what other people have got to say about where we are as a squad, where we are as a football team. We know where we're at. We know what we've got to keep improving on and where we've got to get to. There's more pieces to our game that we've got to keep improving on."

He wouldn't say what those things were. But after the disappointments of the past two seasons, the Raiders are well on the way to being a transformed team.

The Raiders ended the 2018 season with eight losses by four points or less, and five losses by two points or less. The season started with three last gasp losses in a row by two points or less, less than a converted try in aggregate.

In 2019, there have only been half a dozen losses. Five of those losses have been by six points or less. There have been no last gasp concessions. Only one game, has been lost by a significant margin - the Round 2 defeat at the hands of the Storm, by 12 points.

The Raiders' line speed, intensity in defence and work in the rucks has improved significantly this year. They have the second best defensive record in the competition, conceding just under 15 points per game. That's below the 16 point benchmark that the genuine premiership contenders aim to achieve.

The Raiders have kept their opponents scoreless three times this year. They rank fourth for least running metres conceded and fifth for least line breaks conceded. Given Canberra's average of 4.1 line breaks conceded per match translates into 2.6 tries conceded per game, the scramble is pretty darn good. However, this is perhaps one of the small areas for improvement that Ricky Stuart has been working on.

A key part of the improved defensive record has been the improved game management. For a start, the Raiders are holding onto the ball. Their completion rate, approaching 80 per cent, is close to the best in the league. They rank in the top four for share of possession and fifth for fewest errors (just over 10 per game).

No team kicks more than the Raiders in 2019 and they rank second in the league for kicking metres. It is a huge change from 2018, when they were third last for kicking metres gained. They are not only controlling games through their long kicking game to the corners, they're using kicks as an attacking weapon too. Canberra was ranked last in 2018 for forced line drop outs - and has now produced 30 (ranked sixth). They have three 40/20s and three field goals - not far from the top of the tree in both.

The Raiders' attack has not been the focus of coach Ricky Stuart. He keeps saying that the No. 1 priority has been to improve the defence. As the old adage goes, defence wins premierships... and Stuart says he knows his team can score points.

The Raiders finished 2018 with the second best attacking record in the competition - but that didn't get them to the finals. They ended up at 10th on the ladder.

At present, the Raiders rank fifth in attack, scoring an average 22 points (3.6 tries) per match. That compares to the benchmark team, the Storm, who score just under 26 points (4.2 tries) per match. The Raiders rank seventh for try assists (2.9 per game, 3.7 for the Roosters).

The Raiders also rank seventh for running metres gained - with 1418 metres gained per match, compared with 1489 metres for the first ranked Storm. They rank equal eighth for line breaks (4.3 per game, compared with 5.1 for the first ranked Sea Eagles) and ninth for tackle breaks (25 per game, 29 for the Broncos). Compared to 2018, the Raiders have gone down in the rankings for all these indicators. That comes with the territory of a more controlled style - aimed at controlling the ball and taking the pressure off the defence.

But the attack is something that Ricky Stuart has clearly been working to improve. He has simplified the role for the halves and that appears to be paying dividends in the form of Aidan Sezer, in particular. The playmakers look like they are "gelling" better as a unit. Injuries and suspension have also seen the Raiders' strike outside backs - Leilua, Rapana and Cotric - spend some time on the sidelines, and in the case of Leilua and Rapana, quite a bit of time. Rapana is now getting back to his best form, while Cotric will return next week. Joey Leilua is close to an unexpected return after neck surgery. That should give some needed "oomph" to the attack in the run to the finals.

The Raiders are clearly heading in the right direction. I'm hoping they can now take advantage of the opportunity they've worked so hard for already this year.

Three quarter time report:

Attack: B
Defence: A+
Spine: A-
Forwards: A
Backs: C

Overall: A

Best performers:

Spine: Jack Wighton has made a huge impact since shifting to five eighth, while Josh Hodgson is in the top three hookers in the world and has been lifting as the season has progressed. But I can't go past Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad as the best in the spine, in a break out year for the young fullback.

Forwards: Josh Papalli and John Bateman. There's not much between them. Papalii has become one of the premier props in the competition, while John Bateman has taken the NRL by storm in his first year in Australia.

Backs: The depth in the backs has been tested severely at times due to injury and suspension. Bailey Simonsson has helped fill the void admirably. Both Nick Cotric and Jarrod Croker have been a bit off their best... but Cotric was still performing well enough to get his debut for the Blues. While Croker has put in some poor matches by his standards, overall he's been the best back for mine.

The NRL is in full blown crisis mode - again. The NRL's refereeing department has been rightly put in the spotlight after multiple, costly errors last weekend. But the disciplinary and judiciary processes are the thing that concern me most.

The inconsistency of the NRL's match review committee (MRC) is simply unacceptable for a professional sport. It's been going on for far too long. Remember the inconsistent treatment of Jack Wighton and Michael Ennis back in 2016? The NRL needs to do something to fix it - and fast.

We've recently seen three dangerous throw charges for the Raiders' Nick Cotric, the Warriors' Issac Luke and the Sea Eagles' Jake Trbojevic. When you put the vision of those tackles side by side, there is not much difference between them. Yet the MRC came up with three different gradings. Cotric took the early plea and a three week suspension. Luke would have received a two week suspension with an early plea, but challenged the charge on Tuesday night. He got three. Meanwhile, Jake Trbojevic escaped any punishment at all from his charge this week.

It is simply not a fair outcome. The MRC tell us they spend hours combing over the evidence before they make their charges. Maybe that's their problem. They were all dangerous tackles and the players all deserved a couple of weeks off. Add the MRC's misguided charges to the judiciary system of early pleas and loadings - and it doesn't add up to justice.

The MRC this week also came up with a contrary conduct charge for Elliott Whitehead from the match against the Panthers. They saw a little kick, when there was really just incidental and accidental contact in the ruck. It was a low grade charge, and only involved a fine. But I was glad to see Elliott Whitehead challenge the charge and the judiciary found him not guilty. I've no idea why the MRC wasted their time on that incident - when there were actual acts of foul play in the match not even penalised, let alone charged. This, while Rome burns.

We're told the MRC includes former NRL players and coaches with hundreds of games experience. However, there needs to be a clean out - and some people with legal expertise, who understand consistent, just outcomes added into the mix.

It is a sorry state of affairs.

While the New Zealand Warriors are in 12th place, it will be a very challenging game for the Green Machine on Friday night. The Raiders have had a very short turnaround and they can expect a hostile environment. The Warriors are incensed by the refereeing errors last week in their match against the Eels... and their CEO has encouraged people to come dressed as referees and bring their referees' whistles. The New Zealand outfit also has some of the most dangerous attacking weapons in the NRL - Roger Tuivasa Sheck and Ken Maumalo. It'll be a tough contest, but if the Raiders stick to their plan, I believe they should win.

The Canberra Raiders Jersey Flegg team and NSW Cup affiliate Mounties also travel to Auckland for a double header against the Warriors on Saturday. If you're in Auckland... get to the games! The matches are to be broadcast on Sky Sport New Zealand... and at least the Jersey Flegg match will be on Fox League in Australia.

The match of the round in this weekend's Canberra Raiders Cup is the battle for second between the Goulburn Bulldogs and Queanbeyan Blues at Seiffert Oval. Try to get out to one of the local grounds! But if you can't, this week's live stream game sees the West Belconnen Warriors aiming to keep their finals hopes alive against the improving Belconnen United Sharks.

Every week I rate the Raiders players on a scale of 0-10... and here are the total points and average points per match after the clash with the Panthers. Let us know if you agree with the ratings... or not!

Total points

Josh Papalii 131
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 128
Elliott Whitehead 121
Jack Wighton 120
Sia Soliola 116
Jarrod Croker 115
John Bateman 111
Dunamis Lui 105
Siliva Havili 105
Josh Hodgson 104
Ryan Sutton 96
Nick Cotric 88
Corey Horsburgh 80
Jordan Rapana 78
Bailey Simonsson 75
Joe Tapine 61
Sam Williams 59
Aidan Sezer 58
Hudson Young 48
Joey Leilua 47
Michael Oldfield 41
Emre Guler 29
Sebastian Kris 15
Tom Starling 15
Jack Murchie 6
JJ Collins 4

Average points per match

John Bateman 7.4
Josh Papalii 7.3
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 7.1
Josh Hodgson 6.9
Elliott Whitehead 6.7
Joey Leilua 6.7
Jack Wighton 6.7
Aidan Sezer 6.4
Sia Soliola 6.4
Ryan Sutton 6.4
Jarrod Croker 6.4
Bailey Simonsson 6.3
Corey Horsburgh 6.2
Jack Murchie 6.0
Jordan Rapana 6.0
Sam Williams 5.9
Nick Cotric 5.9
Michael Oldfield 5.9
Dunamis Lui 5.8
Siliva Havili 5.8
Joe Tapine 5.5
Hudson Young 5.3
Sebastian Kris 5.0
Tom Starling 5.0
Emre Guler 4.8
JJ Collins 4.0

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders

If you can put some sentences together and you'd like to write a regular column for The Greenhouse, let us know! We are keen to have more contributing writers!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: As I saw it

"What's galvanised this group is handling all those tough periods over the last two years. I find some happiness in seeing the boys upbeat about winning. All those close losses and the criticism we got over the last couple of years would have broken a lot of people and a lot of teams."

"I don't listen to the criticism so I won't be listening to the constructive talk ... I've been on the receiving end too many times to know there's people out there who are ready to whack you. Inside the camp, in the inner sanctum, we're all very excited and we're very happy with how we're going."

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Round 20 2019. Canberra Raiders 46 - New Zealand Warriors 12. The Canberra Raiders were dominant, all over the park. It was wet, it was windy, but the Raiders put on a display that would befit a sunny Sunday afternoon. They led 30-0 at half time and kept up the pressure through the second half. For those like me, who have been waiting for the Canberra attack to click, this was your game. There were eight tries, including a certain nomination for the try of the year. But the Raiders' performance was based first in taking control of the middle of the park and controlling possession. It was based secondly on a very good kicking game, which limited the opportunities for Roger Tuivasa Sheck and Ken Maumalo with the ball. And Canberra's opportunities in attack flowed from that.

We shouldn't get carried away with the style and dimension of the win. Ricky Stuart certainly wasn't. The Warriors were undoubtedly poor. Perhaps they got lost in the controversy surrounding the officiating in their defeat at the hands of the Eels. They had promised a response against the Raiders, a hostile crowd, but neither eventuated. It was a performance from the Warriors lacking energy and resolve. The team that had the energy and resolve was the Raiders, on a five day turnaround. They travelled early to Auckland and prepared by taking a fishing trip and visiting an amusement park. It seemed to work.

There are more challenging matches to come for the Green Machine. Contests with the likes of the Storm, Sea Eagles and Sharks are ahead. Next weekend, it will be a battle between second and third on the ladder - a battle that may well determine if the Raiders can get a top two finish. Sunday afternoon. Raiders versus Roosters. Canberra Stadium. It is an exciting prospect.

Stats that mattered

The Raiders ended the match with a 60 per cent share of possession - after having over 65 per cent of the ball and 70 per cent of the territory in the first half. Possession and territory were fairly even in the second half. The Raiders had the better completion rate (86 per cent, compared with 80 per cent for the Warriors), though both teams committed eight errors. As expected, the Warriors were "more disciplined", conceding just four penalties, and the Raiders six. There could have easily been more penalties against the Warriors in the ruck, but that didn't matter to the 2019 Raiders. They are firmly focussed only on the things that they can control.

With all that possession, the Raiders made more runs (218-152), running metres gained (2060-1415), post contact metres (646-498), metres per set (56-47) and kick return metres (254-112) than the Warriors. Canberra produced a massive 58 tackle breaks (Warriors 27), 26 dummies (Warriors 14), 17 offloads (Warriors six) and seven line breaks (Warriors two).

The Raiders kicked more (22-16) and gained more kicking metres (563-451) than the Warriors. In addition, they produced three line drop outs (Warriors none) and one 40/20 kick (Warriors none).

The Warriors were forced to make more tackles (397-293) - and they missed a horrible 58 tackles (Raiders 27) and made 31 ineffective tackles (Raiders just seven). That translated into an effective tackle rate near 90 per cent for the Raiders, compared with 82 per cent for the Warriors.

That is dominance.

Memorable moments

There were eight tries and some absolute beauties. The Raiders opened with tries to their props - with Sia Soliola running like he was still a centre and Josh Papalii taking advantage of a smart pass from Josh Hodgson close to the line. But there were better things still to come. In the 36th minute, Hodgson - who was at his devastating best from dummy half - made a great break, before an outstanding offload to Croker, and another to Simonsson for the try. Was there a forward pass in there? Maybe, but the referee didn't think so. Very slick play. Then shortly after, Hodgson was at it again. He started one of the tries of the year. There was a fantastic offload from Corey Horsburgh, a great run from John Bateman, and a flick pass from Oldfield for the try scorer Joe Tapine. That was some try.

In the second half, the tries were less spectacular. But there was a well deserved second try for Bailey Simonsson, who didn't ever give up and just wouldn't be tackled. And an extremely well deserved four pointer for Josh Hodgson.

Best performers

Josh Hodgson. One try, 18 runs for 119 metres, one line break, two line break assists, unjustly not given a single try assist, nine tackle breaks, 15 dummy half runs for 99 metres, one one on one steal, one offload, nine dummies, 35 tackles, 89.7 per cent tackle efficiency, six kicks for 170 metres, one forced line drop out. One of his best in green in his 100th game.

John Bateman. 17 runs for 144 metres, 56 post contact metres, six tackle breaks, three offloads, 38 tackles, 92.7 per cent tackle efficiency, one forced line drop out.

Joe Tapine. One try, 18 runs for 172 metres, 66 post contact metres, 1 line break, two tackle breaks, 25 tackles, 89.3 per cent tackle efficiency.

Just about every player played well, with Papalii unlucky not to feature in the top three.

Top tacklers: John Bateman 38, Josh Hodgson 35, Corey Horsburgh 26.
Most metres gained: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 225, Joe Tapine 172, Josh Papalii 172.

Almost every forward broke the 100m gained mark. Joe Tapine 172, Josh Papalii 172, Corey Horsburgh 147, John Bateman 144, Josh Hodgson 119, Dunamis Lui 112, Emre Guler 112, Sia Soliola 106. That's incredible!

My player ratings:

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 7
Bailey Simonsson 7
Jarrod Croker 7
Michael Oldfield 7
Jordan Rapana 6
Jack Wighton 7
Aidan Sezer 7
Josh Papalii 8
Josh Hodgson 9
Sia Soliola 7
John Bateman 8
Elliott Whitehead 6
Joe Tapine 8

Siliva Havili 5
Emre Guler 6
Corey Horsburgh 7
Dunamis Lui 6

Do you agree or disagree with the ratings? Let us know!

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We rock..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: 250

Jarrod Croker. 250 games in green.

It is game 250 this Sunday for the Canberra Raiders co-captain. He holds all sorts of records already. He is the top all time point and goal scorer for the Raiders. No Canberra player has scored more points in a season.

In 2017 he became only the fifth player in NRL history to score 100 tries and kick 500 goals. He subsequently became the seventh player in history to score 100 tries and 1000 points.

This year, he became the Raiders' top try scorer of all time, overtaking club legend Jason Croker. He is now second only to Jason Croker for the most appearances in green. He also became the youngest player to ever crack 1900 points.

When he played his 200th match, he he was the fourth youngest player in history to do so. On Sunday, he'll be the second youngest player ever to play his 250th game, behind a former Raider, Brett Finch.

I first remember seeing Jarrod Croker play in a junior representatives match at Seiffert Oval. I predicted then he would play first grade and it wasn't too hard to pick it.

One of my favourite memories of Croker goes back to 2008, when the Raiders won the inaugural National Youth Competition Grand Final. Remember this try to secure the premiership in golden point? The G-Town?

"Me and Mick [Picker] are both Goulburn boys and we've done the move a few times this year. Sometimes it has come off and sometimes it hasn't," Croker said later, explaining the "G-Town" after the victory.

"It is a move we have kept to ourselves. We couldn't slot the field goal, so we called it. Jarrad was paddling away and lucky to get there in the end. I was cheering and riding him home like a Melbourne Cup winner."

The Raiders fans thought they had the basis of an NRL premiership in that team - but things didn't quite turn out that way. Croker is the sole survivor of that NYC team still playing with the Raiders, and one of the few still playing in the NRL.

Croker made his NRL debut in Round 2 of 2009 against the Sydney Roosters at Canberra Stadium - and the Roosters will be the opponents again in his 250th.

In the interim, he's had many great moments on the field. He's been a shining light in what have been some dark seasons for the Raiders. He won the Meninga Medal in 2014 and he won our Fans' Choice Player of the Year twice, in 2013 and 2014. In a season to remember, in 2016, he was named Dally M Captain of the Year and Provan-Summons Medalist.

But he's admired not only for his deeds on the football field. He's admired for the sort of person he is off the field.

I was reminded this week of something that happened back in 2010 - and which underlines precisely that.

The Raiders made an incredible charge to the finals that year - culminating in a finals clash with the Tigers at Canberra Stadium. The stadium was sold out, a record crowd of 26,476. But it did not finish as Raiders fans' would have liked.

The Raiders' talisman that year, Terry Campese, suffered an ACL injury during the game. However, the Raiders did not lie down. With three minutes remaining, Croker had a chance to level the game, 26-26, with a penalty goal shot - and send the game into extra time. It was not far from the posts, a 30 metre kick, but in one of those tricky positions on the field - and the kick sprayed wide. The Tigers went on to win, 26-24, and the Raiders were eliminated.

After the game, the team and fans gathered at the Dickson Tradies. It was a function that was to include the presentation of that year's Fans' Choice Player of the Year award. The emotions that night were raw... and this footage is raw.

As it turned out, the winner simply didn't front to accept his award. Jarrod Croker was shattered that night, but he was there, and he stood up and he came forward when invited to the stage. It showed the sort of person that Croker is - and at that moment I wished we'd voted to give him that award. Every Raiders fan in the room wanted to console him. Every Raiders fan knew he'd been a critical part of the season - and the team wouldn't have been in that game without him.

This week, the humble Jarrod Croker said this about his 250th milestone:

"It's something I am very proud of. If you told me I would ever play 250 games for this club all those years ago, I would have laughed at you... I don't want to get too excited or too carried away, it's still just a game of football and I don't want to kick up a song and dance about it all."

Raiders fans everywhere are proud too.

Last week I wrote at length about the crisis in the NRL's judiciary and disciplinary system. Things got even worse this week.

South Sydney Rabbitohs forward Sam Burgess knocked out Cronulla's Matt Moylan last weekend, with an illegal, high tackle. Burgess has a rap sheet that is as long as your arm. Yet, he went to the judiciary this week seeking a downgrade to an already "soft" charge from the match review committee. And the judiciary let him off with a monetary fine, and he was cleared to play this weekend. Meanwhile, Matt Moylan is going to miss two weeks with the after effects of concussion.

The whole system is seriously broken. The injustice and inconsistency abounds. Hopefully the NRL takes action at the end of the season, at least, to fix it.

The Raiders' clash this Sunday with the defending premiers, the Sydney Roosters, is a mouth watering prospect. As of today, I'm told the Raiders have already sold 15,000 tickets, with the club hopeful of breaking the 20,000 mark on game day. That would make it the biggest crowd at Canberra Stadium since 2016.

The Roosters have danger men all over the park. It'll be a very tough contest, and the match will tell us a lot about where the Green Machine stands. But I believe Canberra has the sort of game that can frustrate them. I'm tipping the Raiders can win the battle for second by four.

The Canberra Raiders Jersey Flegg team is back at home this week - after a very good win in Auckland. They too face a second placed Sydney Roosters - on Saturday at the Raiders' spiritual home of Seiffert Oval. Get out to the ground and support the team!

Canberra's NSW Cup affiliate, Mounties, is playing their home game against the Bulldogs at Blacktown on Sunday. The clash unfortunately overlaps with the Raiders match - but is broadcast on GEM from 1pm, so you can at least record it and watch the whole game later!

The match of the round in this weekend's Canberra Raiders Cup features the ladder leading Tuggeranong Bushrangers and the fourth placed Queanbeyan Kangaroos. There'll be no shortage of motivation, as the Bushrangers can lock up the minor premiership with a win, while the Roos can secure a finals place. It is this week's live stream game. Unfortunately, all this week's matches directly clash with Jersey Flegg.

Every week I rate the Raiders players on a scale of 0-10... and here are the total points and average points per match after the clash with the Panthers. Let us know if you agree with the ratings... or not!

Total points

Josh Papalii 139
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 135
Elliott Whitehead 127
Jack Wighton 127
Sia Soliola 123
Jarrod Croker 122
John Bateman 119
Josh Hodgson 113
Dunamis Lui 111
Siliva Havili 110
Ryan Sutton 96
Nick Cotric 88
Corey Horsburgh 87
Jordan Rapana 84
Bailey Simonsson 82
Joe Tapine 69
Aidan Sezer 65
Sam Williams 59
Hudson Young 48
Michael Oldfield 48
Joey Leilua 47
Emre Guler 35
Sebastian Kris 15
Tom Starling 15
Jack Murchie 6
JJ Collins 4

Average points per match

John Bateman 7.4
Josh Papalii 7.3
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 7.1
Josh Hodgson 7.1
Joey Leilua 6.7
Elliott Whitehead 6.7
Jack Wighton 6.7
Aidan Sezer 6.5
Sia Soliola 6.5
Jarrod Croker 6.4
Ryan Sutton 6.4
Bailey Simonsson 6.3
Corey Horsburgh 6.2
Jack Murchie 6.0
Jordan Rapana 6.0
Michael Oldfield 6.0
Sam Williams 5.9
Nick Cotric 5.9
Dunamis Lui 5.8
Siliva Havili 5.8
Joe Tapine 5.8
Hudson Young 5.3
Emre Guler 5.0
Sebastian Kris 5.0
Tom Starling 5.0
JJ Collins 4.0

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders