Raiders half Aidan Sezer joins Huddersfield Giants on two year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Raiders half Aidan Sezer joins Huddersfield Giants on two year deal

Post by greeneyed »

Aidan Sezer to battle for 2020 Canberra Raiders spot

Canberra halfback Aidan Sezer is closing in on career-best form but will still likely be relegated to reserve grade for the final year of his contract in 2020.

"Next year is a long way away, anything can happen in footy and I'm just trying to perform for the club. I've been here four years now so whatever happens, happens. It's out of my control," Sezer said.

Read more: https://au.sports.yahoo.com/raiders-sez ... --spt.html
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Aidan Sezer to battle for 2020 Canberra Raiders spot

Post by Northern Raider »

George Williams hasn't been signed to be a back up and Wighton won't be shifting from 5/8 any time soon. I also can't see Sezer being relegated to reserve grade for the year. I'm 99% sure he'll be shipped off to another club and its only a matter of working out the deal. His current good form will make the process easier for all.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Yeah it’s a classic sales pitch article, he’ll be offloaded shortly.

Good luck to him, I hope he goes to a reasonably successful club.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I hope he sticks around. Just because afghhgtk deserves it
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: July 23, 2019, 10:46 am I hope he sticks around. Just because afghhgtk deserves it
Nah, he's moved onto Croker now. Hasn't said a word about Sezer for a few weeks now, for some reason.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

simo wrote: July 23, 2019, 10:46 am I hope he sticks around. Just because afghhgtk deserves it
That is a very good point simo. Although it would provide little value in that regard if he's playing reserve grade.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Sezer doing a great job of advertising himself in recent weeks. I still don't see there being a huge demand for a late 20s borderline NRL quality halfback, I imagine we'll need to subsidise a fair amount of any deal. The longer he keeps his form up the better for us.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 23, 2019, 1:08 pm Sezer doing a great job of advertising himself in recent weeks. I still don't see there being a huge demand for a late 20s borderline NRL quality halfback, I imagine we'll need to subsidise a fair amount of any deal. The longer he keeps his form up the better for us.
I dunno, the grand final ring might pique some interest, surely??
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

The mind does boggle if we have been talking to George Williams for as long as we have why Aiden Sezer was upgraded last year for another 2 years. We had Sam Williams signed at the time....
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LastRaider wrote: July 23, 2019, 1:41 pm The mind does boggle if we have been talking to George Williams for as long as we have why Aiden Sezer was upgraded last year for another 2 years. We had Sam Williams signed at the time....
Sezer was extended middle of last year.
Don't know about upgraded. I doubt we were talking to George Williams at that time. One thing we did know was that Austin was leaving. Extending Sezer ensured we had at least one starting half on the roster.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: July 23, 2019, 1:31 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 23, 2019, 1:08 pm Sezer doing a great job of advertising himself in recent weeks. I still don't see there being a huge demand for a late 20s borderline NRL quality halfback, I imagine we'll need to subsidise a fair amount of any deal. The longer he keeps his form up the better for us.
...and borderline NRL quality halves are more the norm these days.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

LastRaider wrote: July 23, 2019, 1:41 pm The mind does boggle if we have been talking to George Williams for as long as we have why Aiden Sezer was upgraded last year for another 2 years. We had Sam Williams signed at the time....
The club watched Sam Williams play, and ensured they had a George Williams insurance policy
Imagine how the mind might boggle if you just let Sezer walk, and then George Williams doesnt come and now suddenly Sam Williams is your sure fire, walk up start for #7 and you're just pissing 2 seasons away because of it?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: July 23, 2019, 3:03 pm
The club watched Sam Williams play, and ensured they had a George Williams insurance policy
Imagine how the mind might boggle if you just let Sezer walk, and then George Williams doesnt come and now suddenly Sam Williams is your sure fire, walk up start for #7 and you're just pissing 2 seasons away because of it?
The mind boggles that the club didn't know 12 months in advance that George Williams was going to get a release from his current contract and sign with the Raiders for 2020.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

We need to beat one of the top three before we are top tier contenders IMO. Two more opportunities.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 23, 2019, 4:39 pm
We need to beat one of the top three before we are top tier contenders IMO. Two more opportunities.
Or we could just beat them in the finals.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

If we signed Sezer for $700k or less, it's pretty low risk. Worst case scenario we wouldn't need to carry much on our cap.
Pretty good insurance policy for any number of things that could have happened.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Beejay wrote:If we signed Sezer for $700k or less, it's pretty low risk. Worst case scenario we wouldn't need to carry much on our cap.
I’d be surprised if another club couldn’t find $550k for Sezer. Plenty of other average halves in the NRL getting between 5-700k. Plenty of props and second rowers getting $600k.

Spine players earn more and that’s no surprise to me.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

BJ wrote: July 23, 2019, 5:06 pm
Beejay wrote:If we signed Sezer for $700k or less, it's pretty low risk. Worst case scenario we wouldn't need to carry much on our cap.
I’d be surprised if another club couldn’t find $550k for Sezer. Plenty of other average halves in the NRL getting between 5-700k. Plenty of props and second rowers getting $600k.

Youd think the tigers would have a crack. Would pair nocely with brookes and give them a high percentage goal kicker they need. Would also suit mcguires defence based game
Dont delete this GE
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

simo wrote: July 23, 2019, 5:15 pm

Youd think the tigers would have a crack. Would pair nocely with brookes and give them a high percentage goal kicker they need. Would also suit mcguires defence based game
Maguire's keen on keeping Benji around for another season and there's no guarantee that they'll be able to off-load Josh Reynolds. Sezer would just be going from a possible stint in Canterbury Cup to a probable stint there.

I'd expect him to sign with either Titans or Bulldogs. The dark horse would be Roosters, seeing as Cronk is retiring.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

yurithe1 wrote: July 23, 2019, 6:30 pm
simo wrote: July 23, 2019, 5:15 pm

Maguire's keen on keeping Benji around for another season and there's no guarantee that they'll be able to off-load Josh Reynolds. Sezer would just be going from a possible stint in Canterbury Cup to a probable stint there.

I'd expect him to sign with either Titans or Bulldogs. The dark horse would be Roosters, seeing as Cronk is retiring.
The Roosters have gone with Flanagan.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

The Rickman wrote: July 23, 2019, 4:45 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 23, 2019, 4:39 pm
Or we could just beat them in the finals.
Could always happen, but didn't work out for us in 04 06 08 10 and 12. One win over those two will go close to securing a top 4 spot with our F and A.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Northern Raider wrote:
The mind boggles that the club didn't know 12 months in advance that George Williams was going to get a release from his current contract and sign with the Raiders for 2020.
If you were actively looking for half replacement wouldn’t you have just offered Sez a 12 month extension then?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LastRaider wrote: July 25, 2019, 9:51 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
If you were actively looking for half replacement wouldn’t you have just offered Sez a 12 month extension then?
When do you think they started talking to G Williams?
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

I heard we got him from the titans on 500k and upgraded to 600, I have no proof. But with raiders tax, about right. And he has been playing well when he gets the ball

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

No. This isnt fantasy football.
The club accepted they'd need Sezer for at least one year given the options behind him, and potential longer if the George Williams deal falls through. So you provide yourself with adaquate coverage, knowing you might eat some **** on the 2nd and FINAL year of the extension when you move him on, but that's insurance. You always eat **** on insurance.

You sign Sezer to a 2 year extension so you've got flexibility. And now we get our man and we almost certainly move on Sezer, and eat a bit of insurance **** for one year. Which beats the **** out of the risk of eating **** with Sam Williams for 2 years if Sezer walks.
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

Am I the only one who is super nervous about Williams? I'm not convinced he's going to come over here and light it up, like he does in the SL.

Almost wondering whether it's better the devil you know... If we finish in the top 4 this year, we'll have done it twice in four years with Sezer at the helm. I'm not convinced that we can't win the premiership with him at 7. His ceiling isn't that high, sure, but his floor is pretty high.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Zip Zip wrote: July 25, 2019, 10:34 pm Am I the only one who is super nervous about Williams? I'm not convinced he's going to come over here and light it up, like he does in the SL.

Almost wondering whether it's better the devil you know... If we finish in the top 4 this year, we'll have done it twice in four years with Sezer at the helm. I'm not convinced that we can't win the premiership with him at 7. His ceiling isn't that high, sure, but his floor is pretty high.
Well I'm not nervous. George Williams will kill it. Sezer is having his Bronson Harrison moment. And if you reckon that "having Sezer at the helm" is either true or what led us to make the top four once, then a two year fail, then maybe this year, theres this bridge etc etc....
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Lui_Bon wrote: July 25, 2019, 10:41 pm
Zip Zip wrote: July 25, 2019, 10:34 pm Am I the only one who is super nervous about Williams? I'm not convinced he's going to come over here and light it up, like he does in the SL.

Well I'm not nervous. George Williams will kill it. Sezer is having his Bronson Harrison moment. And if you reckon that "having Sezer at the helm" is either true or what led us to make the top four once, then a two year fail, then maybe this year, theres this bridge etc etc....
You have more confidence than me in Williams, unless we have different definitions of 'kill it'. That said I'm still highly confident he's an upgrade on what we've had in recent times, maybe even longer. Not really had a top half since Campo prior to blowing his knees.
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki

Post by Zip Zip »

Northern Raider wrote: July 25, 2019, 10:50 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: July 25, 2019, 10:41 pm

You have more confidence than me in Williams, unless we have different definitions of 'kill it'. That said I'm still highly confident he's an upgrade on what we've had in recent times, maybe even longer. Not really had a top half since Campo prior to blowing his knees.
I’m not suggesting that Sezer is the reason that we finished/might finish top 4. I’m simply saying that George Williams is an unknown prospect at NRL level and that worries me.

I’ll reiterate - we made/might make the top 4 with Sezer and I think if you’re good enough to make the top 4, you’re good enough to win the comp.

We’re on the verge of making a huge change to a strategy that is going pretty well. I hope it works.
Last edited by Zip Zip on July 26, 2019, 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki

Post by Zip Zip »

Edit
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Zip Zip wrote: July 26, 2019, 7:44 pmEdit
Good point
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 26, 2019, 7:50 pm
Zip Zip wrote: July 26, 2019, 7:44 pmEdit
Good point
agreed.
Really well said.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'm nervous largely because surely, surely at some point our luck with the English imports will run out. We've now had four come out and immediately start ripping in and killing it. Surely we couldn't be so lucky as to have five.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

raiderskater wrote: July 26, 2019, 10:15 pm

I'm nervous largely because surely, surely at some point our luck with the English imports will run out. We've now had four come out and immediately start ripping in and killing it. Surely we couldn't be so lucky as to have five.
You mean other than Jordan Turner?
Mr. Snrub
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by Mr. Snrub »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sezer going to the Dogs. They're trying to offload Foran at the moment, so they'll be looking for a new half. Sezer is a dogs junior as well, right?