Oldfield

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Oldfield

Post by KasparRaider »

Another excellent critique by Dan at Sportress. He too points out the weaknesses in Oldfield’s defence in the centres. Any updates on Seb Kris’s injury?

https://sportress.wordpress.com/2019/07 ... -win-ugly/
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: Oldfield

Post by Sid »

Lol
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

So he’s saying our forth string journeyman centre playing out of position isn’t perfect defensively? Who would have thought, he’s doing a pretty good job considering.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I'm Bate Man wrote: July 21, 2019, 4:30 pm So he’s saying our forth string journeyman centre playing out of position isn’t perfect defensively? Who would have thought, he’s doing a pretty good job considering.
100%
Anyone complaining about Oldfield doesn’t understand salary cap.
He is the ultimate professional experienced first grader willing to play the stop gap role.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yeah.. he's a winger that's why

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

I think the key point is the majority of posts on the site, question why Kris over Oldfield to cover in the centres. This underscores why Kris gets picked for the role, when fit.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I must've missed the posts questioning Kris over Oldy... Oldfield isn't a centre and is playing there purely cause he is needed to

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Oldfield's defense wasn't even bad this game. 0 missed, 0 ineffective, 0 try causes. It was his errors with ball in hand that let him down. Rapana coming in when he didn't need to contributed plenty to them getting on the outside and making metres.
Sezer also had stellar numbers. For the two that are being targeted as a weakness that's a pretty weak result.
Last edited by zim on July 21, 2019, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah I think we all know there is issues with Oldbeard at centre
But for now it’s just going to be something we eat **** on until Cotric, Beej or Kris are back on deck

Though I have wondered how Simo would go at centre with Oldy back on the wing where you can trust him to do his thing
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Yeah he's not a complete FG centre package for reasons others have noted.

I really like what he offers with his high energy charges and hitting gaps in attack. I said before the game he runs so hard at gaps between players that he always pokes through the other side and sure enough he busted the line right open last night, just got the pass wrong.

I like him in the squad. I have zero concerns and really like him as a wing option and as a centre, as a 2nd backup he's fine.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

For me Oldfield is a No 5 center for us when all are available. JC, BJ, Cotric, Kris and Oldfield - it is just unfortunate that 2 of the five are injured and one is suspended. Him kicking on the last has more to do with the spine not getting every call right rather than a reflection on him. He is a tall winger asked to fill in at center. He would have heard the call of the last tackle and he tried something which didn't come off. Full marks for effort but there were other players on the field who should have been in position and looked to kick on that last tackle play.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

KasparRaider wrote: July 21, 2019, 5:44 pm I think the key point is the majority of posts on the site, question why Kris over Oldfield to cover in the centres. This underscores why Kris gets picked for the role, when fit.
Really? That might have been a long time ago before Kris had a go at NRL. He was very solid when he filled in and I reckon everybody would have him in there if he was fit. Oldfield is last man standing.

That said I reckon it's good to have somebody of Oldy's quality at no.5 on our depth chart.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Northern Raider wrote: July 21, 2019, 7:39 pm
KasparRaider wrote: July 21, 2019, 5:44 pm I think the key point is the majority of posts on the site, question why Kris over Oldfield to cover in the centres. This underscores why Kris gets picked for the role, when fit.
Really? That might have been a long time ago before Kris had a go at NRL. He was very solid when he filled in and I reckon everybody would have him in there if he was fit. Oldfield is last man standing.

That said I reckon it's good to have somebody of Oldy's quality at no.5 on our depth chart.
I’ll put up my hand and say I asked the question. I love the idea of giving game time to a youngster and haven’t seen any of Kris in the lower grades to get a good read on his potential but he hasn’t done much in his couple of first grade starts.

Rapa caught a cold outside him against Parra and his defence didn’t look any better or worse than Oldie’s. Oldie’s metres are better and he’s a proven finisher.

I wouldn’t be upset if Kris got a nod over Oldie again but I don’t think the way around is a problem.

I agree with BadnMean’s assessment above and love him in the squad.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote: That said I reckon it's good to have somebody of Oldy's quality at no.5 on our depth chart.
It’s fan-bloody-tastic having him as your 4/5! Love the Oldbeard.

He’d have played run on wing for me in our 2016 squad.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Oldbeard is very handy.

He's the ideal back up dude when the first string dudes are out..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Love Oldy. I didn't think he went too bad, actually. But he is indeed more a winger than a centre, and that's fine.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Considering the bloke has become 4th choice winger and 5th choice centre he’s an absolute gun.

No other player in the NRL even close to that point in their clubs squad is half the player he is.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Oldbeard is a bloody great backup, and best nickname in the comp too

I simply won’t hear a bad word about him.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Just on him though. Had 3 absolute brain fades in a 5 minute period on the weekend which is really, really out of character for him.

It’s an interesting one this week. Hudson Young is available so I wonder if Stuart considers Bateman to centre, Tapine second row and Young on the bench? I would consider this against some teams but probably not Penrith. Naden has been beyond surprisingly good so far for them but a lot is based on speed so I reckon Oldfield isn’t the worst 1 on 1 option for him.

Will Kikau be suspended?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I’m 99% certain Young is coming back through Mounties, and I think it’s largely about having to earn your spot back rather than being worried about rust

And I genuinely don’t have a problem with that. Make the young guys earn it
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I love that we have a thread for our 5th choice centre.
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: July 22, 2019, 10:01 am I’m 99% certain Young is coming back through Mounties, and I think it’s largely about having to earn your spot back rather than being worried about rust

And I genuinely don’t have a problem with that. Make the young guys earn it
Yeah he wont be there long. I reckon he'll be back after one week in mounties unless he's absolute garbage there or we perform so well that Stuart cant justify dropping anyone.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: July 22, 2019, 10:01 am I love that we have a thread for our 5th choice centre.
You new here? :lol:
Oldy would start on the wing for at least a few clubs. He's an excellent squad filler, as someone above made the point, there ARE issues with Oldy at centre, but he's playable. He holds his own mostly. Most clubs playing their 5th choice centre is getting carved the **** up.
We're lucky to have Oldy.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Absolutely Oldfield deserves a thread on here, filled with words of praise, and videos of interpretive dance showing appreciation.

We want a premiership we need depth. We need players as good as Oldfield who can come in and do the job through the season. As a fan I appreciate the likelihood that he’s probably taking a pay cut to keep sticking around. I hope he’s repaid by being part of a squad that sticks together and goes deep in the finals.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I wouldn't mind seeing Raps and Oldy switched around
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

simo wrote:I love that we have a thread for our 5th choice centre.
Give it a while, it'll turn into the Sack Croker thread.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

reptar wrote: July 23, 2019, 5:34 am
We already have one of those, full of people trying to justify getting rid of Croker.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 22, 2019, 10:33 pm I wouldn't mind seeing Raps and Oldy switched around
As in Rapana to centre if Oldy is required?

I hadn't thought about it. Weakening a strength (Rapana's wing play) to create potentially one weakness (centre still untried) and one solidity- Oldy on wing is solid, not a strength like Rapana.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

raiderskater wrote: July 23, 2019, 7:59 am
We already have one of those, full of people trying to justify getting rid of Croker.
There’s less than a handful of them. The vast bulk think that is crazy!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

raiderskater wrote: July 23, 2019, 7:59 am
Five people. And the fact they're over there now backslapping and high-fiving afgfjgkllttjjktn tells you all you need to know about the "discussion".