Three more Canberra Raiders legends inducted into Hall of Fame

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Don Furner Snr is the first person added to the Canberra Raiders Hall of Fame tonight!

Don was the inaugural coach of the Canberra Raiders, and, with Wayne Bennett, coached the Raiders to their first Grand Final in 1987 against the Manly Sea Eagles.

https://twitter.com/RaidersCanberra/sta ... 0876440576
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders Hall of Fame inductees

Post by greeneyed »

David Grant is the second person added to the Canberra Raiders Hall of Fame tonight.

David was the inaugural captain of the Canberra Raiders in 1982. He played 77 games for the Raiders between 1982 and 1985, scoring nine tries. He sadly passed away in 1994, aged just 38.

https://twitter.com/RaidersCanberra/sta ... 6403667968
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote:David Grant is the second person added to the Canberra Raiders Hall of Fame tonight.

David was the inaugural captain of the Canberra Raiders in 1982. He played 77 games for the Raiders between 1982 and 1985, scoring nine tries. He sadly passed away in 1994, aged just 38.

Great addition.
His daughter and her partner are there tonight I’m sure they’ll be overwhelmed

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The third and final inductee to the Canberra Raiders Hall of Fame tonight is Jason Croker.

Jason Croker is the most capped Canberra Raider. He played 318 matches for the Green Machine, scoring 120 tries and one goal. Until just last week, he held the club record for most tries scored at the club. He's just been overtaken by Jarrod Croker. Croker played five Tests for Australia and five matches for New South Wales.

https://twitter.com/RaidersCanberra/sta ... 1102916608
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Raiders have inducted three more legends into their Hall of Fame, at Friday nights inaugural Hall of Fame Dinner at the National Convention Centre Canberra.

First Coach of the club Don Furner, first Captain of the club David Grant and first 300 game player Jason Croker are the latest round of inductees, joining the 14 inductees who were announced at this year’s season launch.

The evening also doubled as a celebration of the 3oth anniversary of the 1989 Grand Final, where past legends of the club were on hand to remember the clubs first premiership.

Canberra Raiders Hall of Fame – Recent Inductees

Don Furner (Snr)

Don Furner (Snr) is a life member of the Canberra Raiders, an individual who has had a lifetime association with rugby league that stretches far and wide. Born in Condobolin New South Wales, raised around Balmain in Sydney, Don played for Australia from Toowoomba and also played (and mostly coached) in Mackay, Roma, Tumbarumba, Junee and Queanbeyan.

Don came to the Canberra region from Junee in 1965 and after successfully coaching the Queanbeyan Blues for 13 seasons, became Canberra’s inaugural coach in 1982.

Largely responsible for scouting and assembling the Raiders initial squad to participate in the then NSWRL competition, Don’s ability to draft the best talent from around the local area and further afield was second to none. He was pivotal in laying a solid foundation for the Green Machine during its formative years.

Widely recognised for his ability to unite a team, under his guidance the Raiders improved steadily, reaching a playoff for 5th in its third season (1984) and in 1987 became the first non-Sydney team to make the finals and feature in a grand final.

That same year Don was awarded both the Dally M Coach of the Year and the Order of Australia in recognition of his services to rugby league.

After leaving the Raiders at the end of the 1987 season, Don stayed involved in the game through coaching at representative level and serving as a talent scout for the Canberra Raiders.

Most notable recruits of Don Furner included fellow Raiders Hall of Famers; Laurie Daley, Mal Meninga, Chris O’Sullivan, Steve Walters, Dean Lance and Gary Belcher

David Grant

David ‘Nana’ Grant was a pioneer at the Club, the inaugural captain of the Raiders first team in the Sydney competition in 1982.

Originally from Dubbo New South Wales, the cousin of Rugby League ‘immortal’ Arthur Beetson, came to Sydney from Forbes where he made his debut for South Sydney Rabbitohs in 1976. The following year he moved to play for the Eastern Suburbs Roosters for one season, before moving to spend four years with the Balmain Tigers.

Grant toured New Zealand with a Combined Sydney side that year but after a successful period with Balmain moved to the newly promoted Canberra club in 1982.

Foundation coach Don Furner had no hesitation in making Grant, a proud Indigenous man, the inaugural Club skipper in 1982 given his previous experience in the Sydney Premiership.

Nana’s leadership style was always characterised by looking after his team mates, and in return he was highly respected by his team mates and Club personnel.

A tireless and talented prop forward, who had an imposing physique, Grant was the team enforcer who always led from the front.

During one memorable match for the Raiders, Grant had a head collision with Parramatta forward Chris Phelan, and after receiving 10 stitches at half time he was back on the field in the second half to lead the team to victory.

Post-match it has been reported that nearly 40 stitches in total were applied to his injury, which highlights the persistence and never give up attitude of the man that continues to resonate at the club today.

Jason Croker

Jason ‘Toots’ Croker, at the time of Raiders Hall of Fame induction, is the only player to have played in more than300 first grade games for the Club.

Such accomplishment highlights his commitment, versatility and toughness during a decorated 16-year career.
Born in Crookwell NSW, Jason was drafted into the Canberra Raiders Junior Representative Program in 1988 at the age of 15, and within three seasons had graduated to first grade representation.

At first grade level, Toots was a prolific try scorer, particularly in his early years when he played in the Raiders backline.

By the end of his Club career he held the Raiders record for most tries scored, 120 in total, one of which came in the 1994 Grand Final victory over the Bulldogs where he played in the second row.

As his playing career progressed, Jason become known as a talented utility player which resulted in higher representative honours for NSW Country, NSW and ultimately Australia.

Jason collected plenty of Club awards also during his stellar career including Player of the Year, Player’s Player, Most Consistent Player and Rookie of the Year.

In season 2000, the same year he gained selection in Australia’s World Cup winning squad, he received Rugby League’s Dally M Lock of the Year award.

Croker’s commitment and toughness were best highlighted during the 2001 season when he put in one of the bravest performances in Green Machine’s history.

He played almost the entire second half of Canberra’s 32-22 win over the Roosters with a ruptured ACL in one leg and torn ankle ligaments in the other. Canberra trailed the Roosters 22-10 at half time and had lost four players by the opening stages of the second stanza.

Canberra Raiders Hall of Fame

David Grant (Raider #2)
Chris O’Sullivan (Raider #24)
Ashley Gilbert (Raider #32)
Dean Lance (Raider #51)
Gary Belcher (Raider #73)
Gary Coyne (Raider #74)
John Ferguson (Raider #75)
Mal Meninga (Raider #76)
Steve Walters (Raider #78
Brent Todd (Raider #85)
Laurie Daley (Raider #88)
Glenn Lazarus (Raider #90)
Bradley Clyde (Raider #97)
Ricky Stuart (Raider #98)
Jason Croker (Raider #124)
Don Furner (Coach)
Tim Sheens (Coach)

More information on the Canberra Raiders Hall of Fame including selection criteria can be found at: https://www.raiders.com.au/about/hall-of-fame/

Canberra Raiders media release

Canberra Raiders' hall of fame adds three to its ranks

Jason Croker, Don Furner Snr and David Grant have been added to the Canberra Raiders Hall of Fame.

"Playing with the guys I did when I came through, that team we had was pretty impressive. I learnt a lot from the older guys there, the leaders, and I just didn't want to let the guys down," Croker said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: July 19, 2019, 8:34 pm David Grant is the second person added to the Canberra Raiders Hall of Fame tonight.

https://twitter.com/RaidersCanberra/sta ... 6403667968
Na Na was a legend! Will never forget a try he scored at Seiffert were he launched over the defence super man style and somehow found the line. I’m pretty sure it was against Parra and got us up in a game we weren’t supposed to win.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Re: Three more Canberra Raiders legends inducted into Hall of Fame

Post by afgtnk »

Well deserved for all three.

As a side note, seeing that list of people already inducted:

Laurie Daley (Raider #88)
Glenn Lazarus (Raider #90)
Bradley Clyde (Raider #97)
Ricky Stuart (Raider #98)

Can't believe that four greats of the game debuted so close to each other. Seems insane looking back at it.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Congrats to them.

There's a CT article on this that has a photo of Jason Croker at the event. It's been years since I've seen him and time marches on - pictured here playing the part of a boardroom executive:

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker one of the club's greatest, says Mal Meninga

Whether Jarrod Croker plays rep footy or not, he'll still be one of the Canberra Raiders' greatest ever players in Mal Meninga's eyes.

"To play one game in the NRL you've got to be talented. To do what he's doing at the moment that's extreme talent.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Not sure how i feel about the players being there the night before a game..

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: July 19, 2019, 11:08 pm Not sure how i feel about the players being there the night before a game..

It’s a positive thing Cat. They obviously weren’t on the grog and being around the legends and history will have them jumping out of their skins ready to go today. It wouldn’t be foolish to put a sneaky couple of $$ on Raiders to win by a very big margin today. May not happen but I have a feeling we will be really up for this one.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Not sure that logic holds. I feel like there's been a fair few games where all the legends have rocked up to Canberra Stadium, formed a guard of honour at the tunnel and been in the dressing rooms etc., and we end up getting walloped on the scoreboard.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

They were meant to be launching the history book at this dinner too. There is finally some info online about it.

https://www.allenandunwin.com/browse/bo ... 1760875084
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m looking forward to the upcoming GH book that covers comments on the performances of the referees from both the positive and negative view of this great site’s forum posters.

50 Shades of Grey Area.

It contains every single comment about referees ever and at just 11 million pages in each volume it will be a must read for league enthusiasts.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: July 20, 2019, 7:20 am
cat wrote: July 19, 2019, 11:08 pm Not sure how i feel about the players being there the night before a game..

It’s a positive thing Cat. They obviously weren’t on the grog and being around the legends and history will have them jumping out of their skins ready to go today. It wouldn’t be foolish to put a sneaky couple of $$ on Raiders to win by a very big margin today. May not happen but I have a feeling we will be really up for this one.
They all went home at 9 o'clock. They had to eat like every night.

Tim Brasher told the story this morning at the Platinum Members Brunch about how he thought he'd have plenty of chances to win a premiership. It turned out that 1989 was the end of their window. And he never won one. He told that story last night too... good for the players to hear that, and hear the stories from the old players.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: July 20, 2019, 10:19 am I’m looking forward to the upcoming GH book that covers comments on the performances of the referees from both the positive and negative view of this great site’s forum posters.

50 Shades of Grey Area.

It contains every single comment about referees ever and at just 11 million pages in each volume it will be a must read for league enthusiasts.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: July 20, 2019, 1:02 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 20, 2019, 7:20 am

They all went home at 9 o'clock. They had to eat like every night.

Tim Brasher told the story this morning at the Platinum Members Brunch about how he thought he'd have plenty of chances to win a premiership. It turned out that 1989 was the end of their window. And he never won one. He told that story last night too... good for the players to hear that, and hear the stories from the old players.
I just heard Jason Croker on ABC radio- unlike the current players he sounded like he had a big night haha I think he said Mullins is staying with him so I’m guessing it won’t be a quiet weekend...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gallery: Canberra Raiders Hall of Fame Gala Dinner: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/07 ... la-dinner/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders 2019 Hall of Fame gala: Join us as we go behind the scenes at the Canberra Raiders 2019 Hall of Fame Gala: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/07 ... fame-gala/

Very good video.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: 2019 Forever Green: Join us as we go behind the scenes at the Raiders v Tigers for our Forever Green match: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/08 ... ver-green/