Gold Coast Titans 2019

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where will the Titans finish in 2019?

Minor premiers
No votes
Top four
No votes
Top eight
No votes
Bottom eight
25%
Bottom four
63%
Wooden spoon/least wins
13%

Total votes: 8

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by gerg »

Yeah the Norths/Manly merger was never going to work. Who would want to merge with them, at the time they were the most despised team in the comp.
Maybe Fui is onto something? But relocations, the way the NRL did/does them doesn't work.
Relocating a team into Brisbane or Perth will not work because there are already home grown bids/franchises in those areas ready to go if given the opportunity. A relocation to Adelaide might actually work though.

It has worked in the AFL because many of their supporters are complete patsys. Ok with giving another team an unfair advantage to create success to build the following. In the NRL that wouldn't work, there is too much tribalism between supporters and Greenberg would have pitchforks at HQ if it was obvious the game was manufacturing success. Look how fans from every club currently hate the Broncos and to a lesser extent the Storm.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote:The Bears decided to relocate to Gosford, but never played there as the Bears. The Stadium was delayed in completion due to weather or some such thing. They went broke before the Stadium was finished.
Correct and the NRL backflipped on the promised $8million they were promised to relocate.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dusty wrote:
greeneyed wrote:The Bears decided to relocate to Gosford, but never played there as the Bears. The Stadium was delayed in completion due to weather or some such thing. They went broke before the Stadium was finished.
Correct and the NRL backflipped on the promised $8million they were promised to relocate.

I vaguely remember that. Was it (the reason) because they weren't playing enough home games on the central coast? Might be tough if the ground wasn't complete?

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: July 18, 2019, 11:17 am Yeah the Norths/Manly merger was never going to work. Who would want to merge with them, at the time they were the most despised team in the comp.
Maybe Fui is onto something? But relocations, the way the NRL did/does them doesn't work.
Relocating a team into Brisbane or Perth will not work because there are already home grown bids/franchises in those areas ready to go if given the opportunity. A relocation to Adelaide might actually work though.

It has worked in the AFL because many of their supporters are complete patsys. Ok with giving another team an unfair advantage to create success to build the following. In the NRL that wouldn't work, there is too much tribalism between supporters and Greenberg would have pitchforks at HQ if it was obvious the game was manufacturing success. Look how fans from every club currently hate the Broncos and to a lesser extent the Storm.

You know what I find interesting about tribalism? It's that before the 2015 Grand Final, Broncos and Cowboys fans both generally held the other club as their second favourite teams, and even before the grand final many people said "I don't even care who wins this game".

SINCE that grand final, however, Broncos and Cowboys fans absolutely HATE each other and their respective clubs. It's brilliant.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Dusty wrote: July 18, 2019, 11:21 am

Ok sweet, so I would say they don't count, since they merged before they moved to Central Coast and never played in Gosford.
With that, the only relocations in recent memory have been
  • Western Suburbs Magpies from Lidcombe to Campbelltown
  • Dragons from Kogarah to Wollongong
Of these, one was moving from one Sydney suburb to another, and one was as part of a merger with Illawarra. I would say these were successes.

I agree with Gerg though, it would depend on the location the club is moving to, and whether there is already a fan base demanding their own team. I think places like Adelaide, Central Coast, and maybe the second NZ team could accommodate a relocate. I think a Titans Re-brand and playing out of Brisbane and Gold Coast might work. It couldn't be worse than they are now.

I think in my world would a reshuffle of clubs would be something like this

Bulldogs | Stay
Panthers | Stay
Sydney Roosters | Stay
South Sydney Rabbitohs | Stay
Sharks > Relocate | Handing their region to Souths/Dragons
Sea Eagles > Relocate | Handing their region to Roosters
Eels > Relocate | Handing their region to Panthers
Wests Tigers > Relocate | Handing their region to Bulldogs
Dragons > Permanent Wollongong *Technically done
Last edited by FuiFui BradBrad on July 18, 2019, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Manly won't move and the central coast won't have them. The Bears brand is the only one that will work in that area.

I don't think moving the Titans to Brisbane will work either - and then opens up the area for AFL. They just need to get their **** together and become a professional sporting organisation. There are already a few Brisbane bids already which would be more successful than shifting a dysfunctional club.

Edit. I don't agree with cutting Sydney down to four clubs - is that how many you've got there Fui? What cities/regions would you shift those Sydney clubs to?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 18, 2019, 11:42 am

Ok sweet, so I would say they don't count, since they merged before they moved to Central Coast and never played in Gosford.
Of these, one was moving from one Sydney suburb to another, and one was as part of a merger with Illawarra. I would say these were successes.

I agree with Gerg though, it would depend on the location the club is moving to, and whether there is already a fan base demanding their own team. I think places like Adelaide, Central Coast, and maybe the second NZ team could accommodate a relocate. I think a Titans Re-brand and playing out of Brisbane and Gold Coast might work. It couldn't be worse than they are now.

Bulldogs | Stay
Panthers | Stay
Sydney Roosters | Stay
You had me agreeing until the Sea Eagles bit. Relocating the Sea Eagles means there is no rugby league team north of the harbour, until you hit Newcastle!

Eels... might be poorly managed, but they have a huge following, and money. And a wonderful new stadium. They're very secure.

You don't need to relocate so many Sydney teams. The Tigers and Sharks are probably the most vulnerable financially... though the Tigers are much more stable now Wests are fully in control. They'd be the prime candidates.

Most critical thing is to have an extra team in Brisbane and one in Perth.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote: July 18, 2019, 1:10 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 18, 2019, 11:42 am

Bulldogs | Stay
Panthers | Stay
Sydney Roosters | Stay
You had me agreeing until the Sea Eagles bit. Relocating the Sea Eagles means there is no rugby league team north of the harbour, until you hit Newcastle!

Eels... might be poorly managed, but they have a huge following, and money. And a wonderful new stadium. They're very secure.

You don't need to relocate so many Sydney teams. The Tigers and Sharks are probably the most vulnerable financially... though the Tigers are much more stable now Wests are fully in control. They'd be the prime candidates.

Most critical thing is to have an extra team in Brisbane and one in Perth.
Yeah, in my head though the Roosters would just expand their region to include north of the harbour.

Eels - The new stadium is a bit of an issue with my plan. In my world, it would be either Penrith or Parra moving, and I went with Penrith growing. I agree they have a huge following, but I feel Parramatta lacks... soul... when it comes to football. You walk around Penrith, and you can feel a Panthers presence. There a companies like "Panthers Concreting" and companies adopting Penrith's colours as theirs. You don't see that in Parramatta.

It was interesting hearing Phil Gould talk about relocation, and how he worked hard to get Penrith right financially. Because he felt if they kept running the way they were, and the NRL decided to relocate clubs, they would have been one of the first nominated.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But no one on the northern beaches feels any affinity with eastern Sydney... on the other side of the harbour. Half the time, it takes an hour just to get off the peninsula. It is too georgraphically separate.

On Penrith, Gould is right. It is reflected in their crowds and TV ratings. If it is a choice for the NRL between the Eels and Panthers... they'd choose the Eels. A super club, the Parramatta Panthers would be huge, given the juniors and financial resources.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The only Sydney sides I could see dying are the Tigers and Sharks. I think the Roosters are a good prospect of relocating to Adelaide. An incredibly successful club with no fans.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They got no one to their last game in Adelaide either. I used to think Adelaide was important as a TV market, but I'm not sure it will ever work there, and the relative size of that market has declined.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Adelaide is a declining market both demographically and economically. It is never going to be an NRL town.
Easts are a club with an uncertain future which is hidden by its current success. They have no juniors, no viable junior competition and few supporters, albeit those few supporters they have include several of the richest people in sydney. But those rich supporters are mostly my age or older and I don't see many replacements coming through. Indeed I am told that Polites is a turnoff to many other supporters.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Courier Mail is reporting Justin. Holbrook has agreed to a 2yr deal to coach the Tits..

Good luck Justin..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Is 2 years an unusual contract length for a new head coach? Seems a year too short.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I'm guessing all involved are expecting things to head south and the pay out is less....
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Poor bastard. It'll take at least three years just to clean up that roster.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gergreg wrote: July 31, 2019, 5:34 pm Poor bastard. It'll take at least three years just to clean up that roster.
My thoughts exactly. 2 years aint a lotta time to fix that basket case. I guess they will know mid way through his 2nd year whether he's at least on the right track and can extend from there.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Terrible decision as a coach.

Not sure who else is around though.

Griffin has been mooted, not sure why he didn't get the job.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

This joint needs a hard nosed, experienced coach who isn’t afraid to clear the deadwood, and has enough of a profile to attract a couple of name players to start the transition.

It doesn’t really matter how good a coach Holbrook is, I can’t see him being the right personality to get the coast behind him, and rebuild a club.

They should of absolutely thrown the cheque book at Kevvie as a leader style coach, and put some really high quality assistants below him to help with the day to day technicalities if a head coach role. Like Furner.

I can’t help but feel this is going to dig the hole deeper.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Boyd's out for the rest of the season.. not that it will be a big loss

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Big as in dollars paid

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

It's spine killing them imo.

Gordon, Tyrone, Taylor/Jacks/Brimson, Peats just isn't good enough.

Look at the pack, probably a decent edge short.
Arrow
Wallace
James
Proctor
Cartwright
Boyd
Whitbread

Backs should be competitive, Peachey, Kelly, Brenko and Sami not horrible.

Get a decent scout/recruitment person, why did they punt Dave Hamilton?

Clear out Taylor, Peachey, Cartwright and Boyd then buy a good fullback like Val Holmes and a couple of backs, find a value backrower.
Or scrap all that and throw the bank at the 3 trbo boys.

Edrick The Entertainer
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

dubby wrote:Terrible decision as a coach.

Interested in your reasoning behind this being a terrible decision?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Justin Holbrook appointed as Gold Coast Titans head coach

The Gold Coast Titans can confirm the appointment of Justin Holbook as the NRL club’s Head Coach for at least the next two seasons. Holbrook, currently the Head Coach of Super League leaders St Helens, will join the Titans in November to begin the club’s pre-season preparations for the 2020 season.

Read more: https://www.titans.com.au/news/2019/07/ ... ead-coach/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

RTW wrote: July 31, 2019, 7:20 pm

Because he hates everybody, duh!!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

RTW wrote:

Everything's a terrible decision

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Bit of an Echo there, Timmy.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

RTW wrote:

They need a coach that is NRL proven. A coach that has the credibility and attraction in the eyes of extant NRL players.

Who is Justin Holbrook? Why would any player be interested in playing for him? What does he bring that other coaches don't? What advantages does he have over the likes of Griffin?

The fact they didn't even interview other coaches is a grievous mistake.

Titans cannot afford to fail any longer. They're existing on the back of generous and altruistic owners, but they won't be like the Penns and invest their money for as long IMO. Not unless they start winning.

Its a massive risk to put your club's immediate success and viability in a NRL rookie coach.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I do wonder if the Titans should just try and go Queensland legends all the way.

Have Meninga, Walters and then try and get people like King Wally, Langer, Thurston etc involved as well.

You would at the very least sure up Queensland support for the club.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gold Coast Titans re-sign Phillip Sami

The Titans have re-signed winger Phillip Sami to a new deal that will keep him at the club through to the end of the 2022 season.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/04/202 ... all-teams/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: November 19, 2019, 12:31 pm Gold Coast Titans re-sign Phillip Sami

The Titans have re-signed winger Phillip Sami to a new deal that will keep him at the club through to the end of the 2022 season.

This is fantastic news for the Titans, I see them climbing to 15th...
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-PJ- wrote:
greeneyed wrote: November 19, 2019, 12:31 pm Gold Coast Titans re-sign Phillip Sami

This is fantastic news for the Titans, I see them climbing to 15th...
Only on for and against due to a Phillip Sami try.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

RIP Titans

Hard to see how they'll get out of this hold now arrow is out

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-TW- wrote:RIP Titans

How does the NRL allow a system where the Insurer rules that an ageing players injury is NOT covered, but the salary cap auditor accepts it and then allows a strong team to use the retirement money to buy a weak teams best player?????
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote:
-TW- wrote:RIP Titans

How does the NRL allow a system where the Insurer rules that an ageing players injury is NOT covered, but the salary cap auditor accepts it and then allows a strong team to use the retirement money to buy a weak teams best player?????
Hard to imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk