Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: July 17, 2019, 9:33 am
The Rickman wrote: July 17, 2019, 7:45 am
BadnMean wrote:Imagine paying Bryce Cartwright and Tyrone Peachey 600k each...

Reminds me of Matt Elliot throwing huge dollars at spuds like Tyran Smith...
Ugh, Tyran Smith was one of the handful of players in my time I didn’t like seeing in green:

- Tyran Smith
- Troy Thompson (I realise the forum loves him because he wrote “funny” stories)
- Glenn Buttriss
- Blake Austin (circa 2018)
- Corey Horsburgh

Can’t think of too many others in my thirty odd years. I’d include Matt Orford, but by the time I realised I didn’t like him, he was gone. Outside of those guys you really won’t see me bagging our players, except for maybe individual mistakes or poor games.
Smith was only getting my goat because he was the definition of a journeyman plodder but we paid him marquee $$$ to come here. Managers smelled blood in the water. I did like that game when coach fired him up once and he ran around like a madman smashing everyone late or not didn't matter for 20 minutes then got put on report. Easts game?

Thompson and Buttriss were... again... just plodders. I'm not sure how Buttriss carried on so long. I guess there was always someone else worse in the team. He'd convinced some of my mates he was a "solid" NRL hooker and it was all our halves fault. Then Hodgo blew the scales off their eyes.

Did Hors snub you at a meet n greet? He's quite sloppy in discipline but he at least shows glimpses of a powerful forward- good tackling technique and makes yards after contact often. Just that he's ill disciplined on field and a bit of a partier off it.
Just to go a little further on that... I never had a problem with Glenn Buttriss as a person, seemed like a good bloke, and it was never anything personal. HOWEVER, dummy half became the most important position on the field a good twenty years ago, and while you're running around with a dummy half who was best described by his supporters as "average on his day", then you're going to have a bad time. And we did.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Rickman wrote: July 17, 2019, 11:38 am
BadnMean wrote: July 17, 2019, 9:33 am

Ugh, Tyran Smith was one of the handful of players in my time I didn’t like seeing in green:

- Tyran Smith
- Troy Thompson (I realise the forum loves him because he wrote “funny” stories)
- Glenn Buttriss
- Corey Horsburgh

Can’t think of too many others in my thirty odd years. I’d include Matt Orford, but by the time I realised I didn’t like him, he was gone. Outside of those guys you really won’t see me bagging our players, except for maybe individual mistakes or poor games.
Smith was only getting my goat because he was the definition of a journeyman plodder but we paid him marquee $$$ to come here. Managers smelled blood in the water. I did like that game when coach fired him up once and he ran around like a madman smashing everyone late or not didn't matter for 20 minutes then got put on report. Easts game?

Thompson and Buttriss were... again... just plodders. I'm not sure how Buttriss carried on so long. I guess there was always someone else worse in the team. He'd convinced some of my mates he was a "solid" NRL hooker and it was all our halves fault. Then Hodgo blew the scales off their eyes.

Did Hors snub you at a meet n greet? He's quite sloppy in discipline but he at least shows glimpses of a powerful forward- good tackling technique and makes yards after contact often. Just that he's ill disciplined on field and a bit of a partier off it.
Just to go a little further on that... I never had a problem with Glenn Buttriss as a person, seemed like a good bloke, and it was never anything personal. HOWEVER, dummy half became the most important position on the field a good twenty years ago, and while you're running around with a dummy half who was best described by his supporters as "average on his day", then you're going to have a bad time. And we did.
Mate you've got an outlier there at the end of your Glen. It's **** Glen Buttriss. That man wishes he had the fortitude for 2 ns.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

PigRickman wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: July 16, 2019, 8:15 pm And the fact that tpj just extended at the Broncos doesn't make this a moot point ? Arrow is maybe available, but with our squad, who loses their position ? And if it's a Luke Bateman upgrade, we need to have salary cap space...
Yep, it absolutely does.
We're just shooting the **** now as RL fans now, and i always enjoy the discussions that come from TPJ v Arrow type scenarios. They're totally different styles of player and i think how you value each tells you a lot of about what you value in a RL player.

i think our major recruitment has been and gone with Georgey boy. So this thread will be pretty dead, save for this sort of thing. Which will upset the "stick the topic" crowd, but honestly, **** them.
Haha, Roger that.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

A club with a roster as strong as ours has no chance of signing Arrow. He’ll command big dollars and we don’t have that as we’re banking on what we’ve got to win a premiership in ‘19 or ‘20.

Even not re-signing Rapana wouldn’t give us a sniff imo. There are too many clubs out there who’ll pay stupid money for in vogue players atm. The best opportunities for Canberra to snare a decent player for ‘20 will be those ousted due to cap restraints imo. Otherwise it will be fringe players and reserve graders filling gaps.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Neeeegz wrote: July 17, 2019, 1:45 pm
PigRickman wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: July 16, 2019, 8:15 pm And the fact that tpj just extended at the Broncos doesn't make this a moot point ? Arrow is maybe available, but with our squad, who loses their position ? And if it's a Luke Bateman upgrade, we need to have salary cap space...
Yep, it absolutely does.
We're just shooting the **** now as RL fans now, and i always enjoy the discussions that come from TPJ v Arrow type scenarios. They're totally different styles of player and i think how you value each tells you a lot of about what you value in a RL player.

i think our major recruitment has been and gone with Georgey boy. So this thread will be pretty dead, save for this sort of thing. Which will upset the "stick the topic" crowd, but honestly, **** them.
Haha, Roger that.

Soliola retire and not re sign rapana? Papa 8 arrow 10 profit 2020?
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote: July 17, 2019, 1:48 pm A club with a roster as strong as ours has no chance of signing Arrow. He’ll command big dollars and we don’t have that as we’re banking on what we’ve got to win a premiership in ‘19 or ‘20.

Even not re-signing Rapana wouldn’t give us a sniff imo. There are too many clubs out there who’ll pay stupid money for in vogue players atm. The best opportunities for Canberra to snare a decent player for ‘20 will be those ousted due to cap restraints imo. Otherwise it will be fringe players and reserve graders filling gaps.
Agreed. Successful clubs need to keep turning their roster over as success drives the price of the players up. Despite popular belief, this is a process both the Roosters and the Storm employ very well.

Rather than just having a brief "premiership window" where you have everyone firing at once and then the window closes as you lose half your squad, you continually keep the window open by rotating young and fresh players in and players that start to get a bit expensive out, while trying to maintain the core, discipline and structures that got you success in the first place.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

The Rickman wrote: July 17, 2019, 2:03 pm
julian87 wrote: July 17, 2019, 1:48 pm A club with a roster as strong as ours has no chance of signing Arrow. He’ll command big dollars and we don’t have that as we’re banking on what we’ve got to win a premiership in ‘19 or ‘20.

Agreed. Successful clubs need to keep turning their roster over as success drives the price of the players up. Despite popular belief, this is a process both the Roosters and the Storm employ very well.

Rather than just having a brief "premiership window" where you have everyone firing at once and then the window closes as you lose half your squad, you continually keep the window open by rotating young and fresh players in and players that start to get a bit expensive out, while trying to maintain the core, discipline and structures that got you success in the first place.
100% right.
If there is an opportunity, we would be nuts not to show interest.
The reported figure is $800K per season. Steep, but I think he is worth it.
He's a high energy mobile middle forward - the exact kind of prop we should be going after.
You would think playing alongside Papalii and for a team that is gunning for a premiership in the next 2 years would appeal to his ambition.
If on the other hand he is more motivated by money, then clearly there will be other options.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I wouldn’t sign Arrow on 800k a season. I’m happy with Horsburgh, Tapine and Sutton juggling that sort of role cap wise.

I think the side would be better improved maintaining a similar pack and hopefully licking out on a cheaper power forward who plays less minutes but provides greater impact whilst retaining those I mentioned short term.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote: July 17, 2019, 2:59 pm I wouldn’t sign Arrow on 800k a season. I’m happy with Horsburgh, Tapine and Sutton juggling that sort of role cap wise.

I think the side would be better improved maintaining a similar pack and hopefully licking out on a cheaper power forward who plays less minutes but provides greater impact whilst retaining those I mentioned short term.
You're doing WHAT to a cheaper power forward??

Novel approach, but it might just work!!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: July 17, 2019, 3:05 pm
julian87 wrote: July 17, 2019, 2:59 pm I wouldn’t sign Arrow on 800k a season. I’m happy with Horsburgh, Tapine and Sutton juggling that sort of role cap wise.

Julian thinking outside the box
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I don’t think we should break the bank for Arrow... I think Sutton can in future do a similar job for a lot less

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Northern Raider wrote: July 17, 2019, 3:50 pm
The Rickman wrote: July 17, 2019, 3:05 pm

Julian thinking outside the box
Having just spotted the typo maybe in and outside the box.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Getting Boyd back here for $250-300k wouldn't be a bad move at all if he was cool with it... could provide good impact off the bench for us provided we restrict him to about 30 mins.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 17, 2019, 5:57 pm Getting Boyd back here for $250-300k wouldn't be a bad move at all if he was cool with it... could provide good impact off the bench for us provided we restrict him to about 30 mins.
I'd play Boyd off the bench instead of Horsburgh, that's for sure.... for that pricetag anyway.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Couple of familiar names in this Jnr England side.

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

wow, just missing a Bateman
Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

- Tyran Smith
- Glenn Buttriss
- Corey Horsburgh

You pick out a rookie in his first year of FG? He is so bad he has just been extended by the Raiders. LOL You can't win the bagging game all the time I guess.

What about seasoned player who turned up his toes after a pay rise like Bronson Harrison.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Maybe for the players probably on the way out, George in, which I would think should be a backended contract, we may not have much room in the cap after some guys are upgraded, we can't lose cnk, Simmonson, and Oldfield is a valuable member of the squad, I hope they keep him

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

The Rickman wrote:

Taking one for the team to a new level, bravo bravo 🤣🤣

sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Josh Reynolds told no longer required
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

sprintman wrote: July 17, 2019, 7:59 pm Josh Reynolds told no longer required
He hasn’t been required since he left the dogs.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

RedRaider wrote: July 17, 2019, 7:36 pm

- Tyran Smith
- Glenn Buttriss
- Corey Horsburgh

You pick out a rookie in his first year of FG? He is so bad he has just been extended by the Raiders. LOL You can't win the bagging game all the time I guess.

What about seasoned player who turned up his toes after a pay rise like Bronson Harrison.
Yea terribly harsh to put a young 20 year old with less than a dozen games on your "players I didn't like seeing in green" list, hes got some rough edges but get off his back, he could be a completely different player in 12-18months
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: July 17, 2019, 7:31 pm wow, just missing a Bateman
Check the women's team
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

sprintman wrote: July 17, 2019, 7:59 pm Josh Reynolds told no longer required
No room at this Inn
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

kiwi raider wrote:

- Tyran Smith
- Glenn Buttriss
- Corey Horsburgh

Yea terribly harsh to put a young 20 year old with less than a dozen games on your "players I didn't like seeing in green" list, hes got some rough edges but get off his back, he could be a completely different player in 12-18months
Yeah, and if that happens I’ll freely admit I was wrong! I’m not deathriding the guy, I want him to succeed, just right now every time he gets near the ball I get concerned

And I’m absolutely 100% looking forward to being proven wrong on this one. There’s nothing malicious here
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

The Rickman wrote: July 17, 2019, 9:48 pm
kiwi raider wrote:

- Tyran Smith
- Glenn Buttriss
- Corey Horsburgh

Yeah, and if that happens I’ll freely admit I was wrong! I’m not deathriding the guy, I want him to succeed, just right now every time he gets near the ball I get concerned

And I’m absolutely 100% looking forward to being proven wrong on this one. There’s nothing malicious here
mate you've stuck in a 5 man list covering close to 20 years of Players you didn't like seeing in green, Again give him a year or two before sticking a 20 year old with 10 games alongside some of the worst performers in Raiders History, he's going to still make the odd mistake in weeks to come but all players his age do
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Is this a shouting down?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote:Is this a shouting down?
I feel like I’m being shouted down here, RicknStick!

George is getting anxious!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

No. $800k is too much for a front rower like Arrow. Leave those sort of deals to the Titans.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I could have josh Reynolds in my squad, gun #14 great fighting never say die player and our genius medical team would get him right too
Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

bonehead wrote:I could have josh Reynolds in my squad, gun #14 great fighting never say die player and our genius medical team would get him right too
I don't think our medical team can perform miracles. He's busted.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gergreg wrote: July 18, 2019, 8:56 pm
bonehead wrote:I could have josh Reynolds in my squad, gun #14 great fighting never say die player and our genius medical team would get him right too
I don't think our medical team can perform miracles. He's busted.

So was David Taylor. It took them half a season or more, but he ultimately played some of the best footy of his career.

Then there was Matt Orford...
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

bonehead wrote: July 18, 2019, 8:51 pm I could have josh Reynolds in my squad, gun #14 great fighting never say die player and our genius medical team would get him right too
I believe he was best mates with Blake Austin. I also believe he should go to England and renew the relationship.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Id love to pick up Reynolds also. There is talk that the tigers would be prepared to carry most of his contract, ie a team could pick him up for less than 400k per annum which is madness. He is twice the player s williams and sezer would ever be. Id love to get him to challenge g williams for a starting spot. At worst he provides impact off the bench at a bargain price. I think he'd also be great for our club culture. Wonder if ennis will get in his ear and try get him across
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

He has played about 10 games in the last year and a half, while on about 800k per year. Do we really want that, even with Tigers paying half?

Shoving it in your face since 2017