Status check

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Bay 67
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Re: Status check

Post by Bay 67 »

I'm a little excited but my tortured supporters soul keeps it in check. I agree with some of the other posters - this year we're winning with across the board efforts and not relying too heavily on the individual brilliance of a couple of players (ie. Campo/Dugan 2010, Leipana/Hodgson 2016). There's also a ruthlessness that we haven't had for a long time. The next eight weeks have some tough games, including the Roosters and Storm, but I feel more confident that we won't fall in a heap than I have for a long time.
Raiders Lime, what they really drink in the dressing room.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Status check

Post by The Nickman »

I think a big thing to remember here is that in 2008/2010/2012/2016 at this time of the season, making the Top 8 (let alone the Top 4!) was a distant hope, and really relied on us going on an insane run of good form

That’s a HUGE difference from where we are this season, and it’s such a satisfying feeling
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: July 17, 2019, 8:35 am I think a big thing to remember here is that in 2008/2010/2012/2016 at this time of the season, making the Top 8 (let alone the Top 4!) was a distant hope, and really relied on us going on an insane run of good form

That’s a HUGE difference from where we are this season, and it’s such a satisfying feeling
Fair point. Those years we had winning runs coming home. THis year we've consistently been in or near the top 4. That hasn't happened since 2003. We lost both semis but were a Boogs dropped ball away from a prelim final.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: July 17, 2019, 8:35 am I think a big thing to remember here is that in 2008/2010/2012/2016 at this time of the season, making the Top 8 (let alone the Top 4!) was a distant hope, and really relied on us going on an insane run of good form

In 2016 at the end of round 17, we were 5th and 1 point off 4th.
I dont think it's fair to include that one.
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seas ... adder.html

2008/10/12 at the end of round 17 we were 13th or 12th
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

PigRickman wrote: July 17, 2019, 8:51 am

Yeah, I initially disagreed with 2016 being included in that list too, but we still won our last 10 games of the season in a row to make the top 4. Prior to our big run we weren't that crash hot. This year we don't have to rely on winning 10 games straight to make it.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah that's a fair call too.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I’m excited and finding it difficult to temper my excitement.

Hoping we can jag a home semifinals and preliminary final. That’d be huge and I’d do everything I could to be there.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I was at the 89 grand final and witnessed the glory in person.
This season feels like 89 to me. Were not favourites, but were in the mix and good enough on the day.

We need to keep the momentum in these next 8 games and test ourselves against the two big guns (storm and roosters) when we meet them.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

The NRL website used to have a ‘ladder predictor’ function. It doesn’t seem to have that this season. Is there one out there on the www that anyone is aware of?

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I just want a top 4 finish this year. I’m in for 2020, I think it will be our year!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

gangrenous wrote: July 17, 2019, 6:58 am
Seiffert82 wrote:The other fun thing is that every man and his dog, including most of the fans, wrote us off because we had a terrible squad - which was complete Bull from day one.
I think we absolutely deserved to have our squad have big question marks on it at the beginning of the year. Sure the top 2/3 of the first grade team had talent, but the last two years they’d been in poor form or unsupported by the team strategy/makeup/depth.

This year we have changed the strategy and relied heavily on the broader depth. Which outsider is going to pick:

* Bateman
* CNK
to come in and be elite

* Simonsson
* Sutton
to be outstanding and allow our team to reshuffle and cover injury

* Young
* Horsburgh
* Kris
to be solid first graders who fit with the plan and not been easily exploited

* Wighton
to not just improve on his first attempt at the halves and be serviceable, but actually being a form half in the comp

This was an unproven team. Just turns out they’ve proven they’re very good players. Which will make holding a squad like this impossible in the next couple of years.
Harsh on Bateman. I expected an international backrower to be elite. I didnt expect him to be talked about as 1 of the best forwards in the comp though.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote: July 17, 2019, 10:00 am
PigRickman wrote: July 17, 2019, 8:51 am

Yeah, I initially disagreed with 2016 being included in that list too, but we still won our last 10 games of the season in a row to make the top 4. Prior to our big run we weren't that crash hot. This year we don't have to rely on winning 10 games straight to make it.
Exactly my point. I knew somebody was going to cling to that one as the outlier (because that's what this forum does), which is why I added "let alone the Top 4!" in brackets.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:
Lucky wrote: July 16, 2019, 10:27 pm Yeh its been a good year, but i wont be fully impressed until we beat the storm, roosters, or rabbits.
I won't be fully impressed until there's a premiership. It's been 25 years.
I'm with Fergus

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Rickman wrote:
dubby wrote:It's been a great season.

I'm enjoying it more than 2016.

In 2016 we rode off the back of Leipana + Austin individual brilliance.

This year we're a grittier, hungrier, gutsier team. I'd say we're a harder team than any other raiders team in the past 15 year.

In many ways this year reminds me of 87.

And yet you haven’t said a positive thing about the team all year

Weird
And yet all year I haven't given a rip what you think.

Nor have a lot of people.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: July 17, 2019, 4:53 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Lucky wrote: July 16, 2019, 10:27 pm Yeh its been a good year, but i wont be fully impressed until we beat the storm, roosters, or rabbits.
I won't be fully impressed until there's a premiership. It's been 25 years.
I'm with Fergus

Hahaha suck it, Ferg.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: July 17, 2019, 4:53 pm
The Rickman wrote:
dubby wrote:It's been a great season.

I'm enjoying it more than 2016.

In 2016 we rode off the back of Leipana + Austin individual brilliance.

This year we're a grittier, hungrier, gutsier team. I'd say we're a harder team than any other raiders team in the past 15 year.

In many ways this year reminds me of 87.

And yet you haven’t said a positive thing about the team all year

Weird
And yet all year I haven't given a rip what you think.

Nor have a lot of people.

Ohhhh, Mick Black.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gangrenous wrote: July 17, 2019, 6:58 am
Seiffert82 wrote:The other fun thing is that every man and his dog, including most of the fans, wrote us off because we had a terrible squad - which was complete Bull from day one.
I think we absolutely deserved to have our squad have big question marks on it at the beginning of the year. Sure the top 2/3 of the first grade team had talent, but the last two years they’d been in poor form or unsupported by the team strategy/makeup/depth.

This year we have changed the strategy and relied heavily on the broader depth. Which outsider is going to pick:

* Bateman
* CNK
to come in and be elite

* Simonsson
* Sutton
to be outstanding and allow our team to reshuffle and cover injury

* Young
* Horsburgh
* Kris
to be solid first graders who fit with the plan and not been easily exploited

* Wighton
to not just improve on his first attempt at the halves and be serviceable, but actually being a form half in the comp

This was an unproven team. Just turns out they’ve proven they’re very good players. Which will make holding a squad like this impossible in the next couple of years.
All good points gg, but IMO we were just a talented squad that horribly under performed for two seasons.

Wighton to the halves has been good, but he was arguably the form fullback of the comp before he was suspended. Integer had doubts over his ability. Papa, Hodgo, Rapa, Leilua and Whitehead were all top shelf, while Bateman was clearly one of the best in the ESL. Losing Boyd, Austin and Paulo was a bonus based on form.

CNK has been the huge surprise packet for me. Granted, that has been a big addition in a key position.

I'm just glad we're approaching somewhere near our potential this season. The focus on defence has been a long time coming.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 17, 2019, 5:41 pm All good points gg, but IMO we were just a talented squad that horribly under performed for two seasons.

Wighton to the halves has been good, but he was arguably the form fullback of the comp before he was suspended. Integer had doubts over his ability. Papa, Hodgo, Rapa, Leilua and Whitehead were all top shelf, while Bateman was clearly one of the best in the ESL. Losing Boyd, Austin and Paulo was a bonus based on form.

CNK has been the huge surprise packet for me. Granted, that has been a big addition in a key position.

I'm just glad we're approaching somewhere near our potential this season. The focus on defence has been a long time coming.
Once again you just echo my thoughts about absolutely everything, Seiff. The team itself wasn't bad, they just played bad, their attitude and commitment after coming 2nd in 2016 absolutely STUNK! It was a Top 4 squad that just phoned it in and didn't even make the finals two years in a row, it was really horrible stuff.

So glad Stuart has been able to turn it around this season, but it surely should prove as a warning for next season and beyond that you just can't rest on your laurels and roll into the next season without doing the hard stuff first.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think there was an element of that. But I think a greater part was strategy/team composition.

I disagree that Wighton was a form fullback last season. He looked good in attack. But for a fullback he made too many errors, and his positioning was not up to scratch in defence. The difference this year with CNK in defence is enormous imo.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Wighton always has an error or two in him, but I think we can be guilty of remembering periods of time and labelling players certain things based on those opinions. Leading up to his suspension he was in great form IMO. Probably the best we'd ever seen him at fullback.

His play in the halves has been great though. He was always going to give us a vast improvement in defence over Austin and his running game was always going to be strong, but his kicking game has progressed wonderfully this season. Credit to him and the coach for that improvement.

My concerns leading into this year was our depth in the front row and fullback. CNK has been the bargain buy of the season and our young front rowers have been great. Thankfully our depth in that position hasn't been tested too much with Papa, Soli, Lui and Sutton only missing something like 3 or 4 games between them, which is almost unheard of in that position.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 17, 2019, 10:38 pm Wighton always has an error or two in him, but I think we can be guilty of remembering periods of time and labelling players certain things based on those opinions. Leading up to his suspension he was in great form IMO. Probably the best we'd ever seen him at fullback.

His play in the halves has been great though. He was always going to give us a vast improvement in defence over Austin and his running game was always going to be strong, but his kicking game has progressed wonderfully this season. Credit to him and the coach for that improvement.

My concerns leading into this year was our depth in the front row and fullback. CNK has been the bargain buy of the season and our young front rowers have been great. Thankfully our depth in that position hasn't been tested too much with Papa, Soli, Lui and Sutton only missing something like 3 or 4 games between them, which is almost unheard of in that position.
100%
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

A top 4 finish is a must...it can't be understated.
Sure, at the start of the year when we were an unknown quantity, we could have set lower goals.
Good teams reassess goals as they move through the year and challenge themselves to reach those goals.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

GreenMachine wrote: July 18, 2019, 10:19 am A top 4 finish is a must...it can't be understated.
Sure, at the start of the year when we were an unknown quantity, we could have set lower goals.
Good teams reassess goals as they move through the year and challenge themselves to reach those goals.
Agreed. You'd have to say anything less than a Top 4 finish from here is a failure. Top 2 would be full marks, Top 4 would be pass, anything less (considering where we are right now and our run home) is a fail.

Having said all that, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind this squad can accomplish that provided they keep going about things the way they largely have done this season to date.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

I’m really enjoying the season so far. The way the team are playing gives me confidence that we’ll be right in every match....

My wife asked me the other day what I would want to do ‘if’ the Raiders made the GF...

Option 1: Go to ANZ and watch the game live.

Option 2: Have a bbq type gathering with family and friends.

Option 3: Watch the game at home on TV with my son.

My order at this stage would be:
Option 3, 1, 2

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dusty wrote: July 18, 2019, 11:34 am I’m really enjoying the season so far. The way the team are playing gives me confidence that we’ll be right in every match....

My wife asked me the other day what I would want to do ‘if’ the Raiders made the GF...

Option 3, 1, 2

My order of preference would be 1, 3, 2

That's obviously dependent on whether you'd let me watch the game with your son, Dusty.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

The Rickman wrote:
Dusty wrote: July 18, 2019, 11:34 am I’m really enjoying the season so far. The way the team are playing gives me confidence that we’ll be right in every match....

Option 3, 1, 2

That's obviously dependent on whether you'd let me watch the game with your son, Dusty.
Haha... He’s knows his stuff.

It’d be a tough choice. I’d need decent seats for option 1.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I'd probably go, and splash the cash for great seats. I've waited soooooo long to see them in a GF, I wouldn't waste the opportunity

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Option 3, 1, 2

You wouldn't keep me away from the stadium unless I was confined to hospital or in a pine box!

Why not combine 1 and 3, take him to the game! They haven't been in a decider in 25 years... you've got to actually be there!
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I'm going to the game. My son can come, but someone needs to pick him up pretty damn quick after the game because there's only two results possible and both result in me being a pretty average person to be responsible for a child.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

greeneyed wrote: July 18, 2019, 12:52 pm

Option 3, 1, 2

You wouldn't keep me away from the stadium unless I was confined to hospital or in a pine box!

Why not combine 1 and 3, take him to the game! They haven't been in a decider in 25 years... you've got to actually be there!
I’ll take one of these. I was not alive or too young for our other grand finals so it’s an absolute no brainer for me, especially as I live in Sydney.

I would also be acting as unofficial capo for the raiders bays to ensure that raiders songs are reverberating around The stadium on our big day.
Up The Milk
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: July 18, 2019, 11:49 am

Option 3, 1, 2

The hardest part of this decision would be which child I would sell to fund the ticket for option 1.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:
The Rickman wrote: July 18, 2019, 11:49 am

Option 3, 1, 2

The hardest part of this decision would be which child I would sell to fund the ticket for option 1.
Not hard at all mate. You sell the one who is priced the best, those mid strength beers aren't cheap. A couple of GF days there, years ago, me and a mate easily went through a couple of hundred in beer alone.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sell em all, shoot for the best seats!
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I can't believe there's anyone who wouldn't choose option 1! You'd have to drown me in concrete to keep me away. Whenever That Day happens, I will be there!

...and now I'm remembering how the Raiders fans broke Ticketek the morning the home final tickets went on sale in 2016 and imagining a repeat where Ticketek crashes under the weight of desperate Raiders fans for GF tickets. Haha.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Or the fact Justin Bieber tickets went on sale at the smart time..

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk