Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: July 16, 2019, 8:29 pm
Neeeegz wrote:
PigRickman wrote:Re: TPJ vs Arrow.

Im a ceiling fan boi. Freely admit it. And TPJ's ceiling is way higher than Arrows. But there is significant risk with TPJ. You could get the best forward in the world, or an overpaid bum... If you recruited Arrow, the floor is that he's just a damn good state quality footballer.
I dont think Arrow will be going anywhere, i think the Titooons locked him up on what i thought at the time was an oversized deal but now is an absolute bargain for long term?
And the fact that tpj just extended at the Broncos doesn't make this a moot point ? Arrow is maybe available, but with our squad, who loses their position ? And if it's a Luke Bateman upgrade, we need to have salary cap space...

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
It’s Moops!
Moars!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Moops!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Rickman wrote:Moops!
Junior Moops?

On squad upgrade I'd still like a younger version of Sia, a leg speed guy with medium size and some energy off the bench like a more experienced Hudson Young. I dunno maybe Guler and Young can fill that role.
Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

If we could make the Arrow signing work I'd be 110% for it but unfortunately we have a cap.
Though at the moment he's being paid less than Leilani Latu:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 0b62a9134f
BIG-MONEY TITANS
Ash Taylor - $900k
Ryan James - $700k
Shannon Boyd - $600k
Bryce Cartwright - $600k
Tyrone Peachey - $600k
Nathan Peats - $600k
Jarrod Wallace - $500k
Leilani Latu - $500k
If you ever thought our cap management was bad how embarrassing is that ****.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Imagine paying Bryce Cartwright and Tyrone Peachey 600k each...

Reminds me of Matt Elliot throwing huge dollars at spuds like Tyran Smith...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Shannon Boyd on 600k is an absolute scam

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote:Imagine paying Bryce Cartwright and Tyrone Peachey 600k each...

Ugh, Tyran Smith was one of the handful of players in my time I didn’t like seeing in green:

- Tyran Smith
- Troy Thompson (I realise the forum loves him because he wrote “funny” stories)
- Glenn Buttriss
- Blake Austin (circa 2018)
- Corey Horsburgh

Can’t think of too many others in my thirty odd years. I’d include Matt Orford, but by the time I realised I didn’t like him, he was gone. Outside of those guys you really won’t see me bagging our players, except for maybe individual mistakes or poor games.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Rickman wrote: July 17, 2019, 7:45 am

Ugh, Tyran Smith was one of the handful of players in my time I didn’t like seeing in green:

- Tyran Smith
- Troy Thompson (I realise the forum loves him because he wrote “funny” stories)
- Glenn Buttriss
- Corey Horsburgh

Can’t think of too many others in my thirty odd years. I’d include Matt Orford, but by the time I realised I didn’t like him, he was gone. Outside of those guys you really won’t see me bagging our players, except for maybe individual mistakes or poor games.
You called rapana EDIT. You should never have to stop apologising for that
Dont delete this GE
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Agree that I really didn’t like Smith in the team. No problems with any of the others you mentioned.

Costigan was another I didn’t like to cheer for.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

- Tyran Smith
- Glenn Buttriss
- Corey Horsburgh

Why don't you like Corey Horsburgh?
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote:

- Tyran Smith
- Glenn Buttriss
- Corey Horsburgh

You called rapana EDIT. You should never have to stop apologising for that
He absolutely WAS EDIT everything at the time! I never didn’t want him in my team though like the above list of players

But point taken, fair enough. A thousand apologies Jordy Rarps. I love you from here to forever
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:Agree that I really didn’t like Smith in the team. No problems with any of the others you mentioned.

Costigan was another I didn’t like to cheer for.
I used to call him “big useless” and when they’d pass the ball to him I’d be like “No! Don’t pass it to Big Useless! Ugh, and that’s why!”
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

chris83 wrote:

- Tyran Smith
- Glenn Buttriss
- Corey Horsburgh

Why don't you like Corey Horsburgh?
Just doesn’t impress me much, I still feel he’s more of a liability than an asset, still seems a bit lazy and gives away too many penalties for my liking. He’s just not in my best 17 right now once Hudson Young and Ryan Sutton come back

But I’ve covered this point enough on other threads, and I do hope he proves me wrong, I really do
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

One of the saddest things in my raiders memory was joel edwards being my favourite signing
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote:One of the saddest things in my raiders memory was joel edwards being my favourite signing
I honestly thought Matt Orford was going to take us to the chosen land once Terry Campese returned in Round 12. Oh, how wrong I was
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

When we signed Matt Orford, all I could think of was his combo with Brett Stewart back in the day and emulating that with Josh Dugan. Christ.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I've never seen a former premiership winning captain and Dally M player of the year turn to **** so quickly.

Remember the lead up to actually signing him ?

He was busted, not fit for work..

We took a punt and the rest is history..dirty filthy disgusting history.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: July 16, 2019, 7:51 pm
Matt wrote: July 16, 2019, 7:37 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 16, 2019, 7:30 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 16, 2019, 7:22 pm We have absolutely no chance of recruiting Jai Arrow. The Bulldogs, Tigers and Eels are all pulling out the cheque books. If there is still such a thing as a cheque book.
Agree. Those teams have far greater need to a player like Arrow than we do and they'll splash the cash needed. As I said earlier, he's not filling a great need for us.

As for our recruitment I'd like an AJ Brimson or Connor Watson type. A utility with a bit of x-factor. Somebody who can fill in the spine or provide some impact off the bench.
Nah, we have an 80min 9.
We have an up and coming FB.
We have an Origin player at 6.
We will have an International at 7 next yr.
Our current utility plays 9, prop and lock.

We dont need a Brimson or Watson. A yr or 2 ago, sure.
yes we have all the starting spine positions covered. Unfortunately the world is not perfect. It's cover for injury, rep duty or just some impact off the bench. We don't have anybody like that in our 30 man squad.
Those guys arent going anywhere to play reserve grade though
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: July 17, 2019, 8:40 am
greeneyed wrote: July 16, 2019, 7:22 pm We have absolutely no chance of recruiting Jai Arrow. The Bulldogs, Tigers and Eels are all pulling out the cheque books. If there is still such a thing as a cheque book.
Agree. Those teams have far greater need to a player like Arrow than we do and they'll splash the cash needed. As I said earlier, he's not filling a great need for us.

As for our recruitment I'd like an AJ Brimson or Connor Watson type. A utility with a bit of x-factor. Somebody who can fill in the spine or provide some impact off the bench.
Nah, we have an 80min 9.

yes we have all the starting spine positions covered. Unfortunately the world is not perfect. It's cover for injury, rep duty or just some impact off the bench. We don't have anybody like that in our 30 man squad.
Re-read my post. I said Brimson or Watson TYPE. Those guys are contracted so not on the market. Storm have also used Papenhuysen very effectively off the bench too. We don't have anybody like that in our extended squad and it would be a useful addition. I will also repeat: THIS PLAYER IS NOT BEING RECRUITED TO REPLACE ANY OF OUR 2020 SPINE.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I know we’re supposedly moving in a different direction. But if the new Titans coach want to move Boyd on I’d consider getting him back in if they pay plenty of freight and we could get him for 350k a year or so.

Yes the more mobile pack is helping. But having that one big boy on the bench who only plays 30 mins or so could help at times, especially considering Sia might be retiring soon and Havili plays as a running forward as well.

On big money: no way. Is he a pivotal player: no. But it could be a pretty handy bargain for that style of player.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Northern Raider wrote: July 17, 2019, 8:48 am

Nah, we have an 80min 9.

Re-read my post. I said Brimson or Watson TYPE. Those guys are contracted so not on the market. Storm have also used Papenhuysen very effectively off the bench too. We don't have anybody like that in our extended squad and it would be a useful addition. I will also repeat: THIS PLAYER IS NOT BEING RECRUITED TO REPLACE ANY OF OUR 2020 SPINE.
What do you mean? Hingano is our answer to any woes in the halves, hooker or obviously on the wing...
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

And that’s considering my understanding is Stuart simply told him not to knock back such a good offer and left on ok terms.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Nah, we have an 80min 9.

Ok, and yet Paprika is going to get a starting FB spot somewhere, because like Drinkwater, he only needed 1 or 2 games to prove his class.

Players like that get snapped up early. So, you need to find them at a Jr stage.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

- Tyran Smith
- Glenn Buttriss
- Corey Horsburgh

Smith was only getting my goat because he was the definition of a journeyman plodder but we paid him marquee $$$ to come here. Managers smelled blood in the water. I did like that game when coach fired him up once and he ran around like a madman smashing everyone late or not didn't matter for 20 minutes then got put on report. Easts game?

Thompson and Buttriss were... again... just plodders. I'm not sure how Buttriss carried on so long. I guess there was always someone else worse in the team. He'd convinced some of my mates he was a "solid" NRL hooker and it was all our halves fault. Then Hodgo blew the scales off their eyes.

Did Hors snub you at a meet n greet? He's quite sloppy in discipline but he at least shows glimpses of a powerful forward- good tackling technique and makes yards after contact often. Just that he's ill disciplined on field and a bit of a partier off it.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

simo wrote: July 17, 2019, 8:11 am One of the saddest things in my raiders memory was joel edwards being my favourite signing
Ooof. And we let Barnett go to sign him iirc. So we gained zero.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Troy Thompson was a good player and a good bloke to boot. He always went out of his way to say hi and stop for a chat.

Corey Horsburgh... great potential. Needs to get some penalties and errors out of his game. But huge potential, given how young he is. Lots of time to develop as a forward.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: July 17, 2019, 9:06 am

Nah, we have an 80min 9.

Ok, and yet Paprika is going to get a starting FB spot somewhere, because like Drinkwater, he only needed 1 or 2 games to prove his class.

Players like that get snapped up early. So, you need to find them at a Jr stage.
You're focussing on the individuals. I am talking about player TYPE. We have nobody of the TYPE in our extended squad.

But if you do want to discuss individuals then look at Papenhuysen. He was a prime candidate for Pigman's "Who the **** is this ****" at the start of the season. Storm signed him from the Tigers and he was well down their depth chart. These guys are available on the market.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: July 17, 2019, 8:54 am I know we’re supposedly moving in a different direction. But if the new Titans coach want to move Boyd on I’d consider getting him back in if they pay plenty of freight and we could get him for 350k a year or so.

Yes the more mobile pack is helping. But having that one big boy on the bench who only plays 30 mins or so could help at times, especially considering Sia might be retiring soon and Havili plays as a running forward as well.

On big money: no way. Is he a pivotal player: no. But it could be a pretty handy bargain for that style of player.
yeah it's always a value proposition. Boyd at the right price, and in the right role as a bench impact forward is a good NRL player. But yeah we couldnt match that
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

PigRickman wrote: July 17, 2019, 9:55 am
julian87 wrote: July 17, 2019, 8:54 am I know we’re supposedly moving in a different direction. But if the new Titans coach want to move Boyd on I’d consider getting him back in if they pay plenty of freight and we could get him for 350k a year or so.

yeah it's always a value proposition. Boyd at the right price, and in the right role as a bench impact forward is a good NRL player. But yeah we couldnt match that
Never, in my humble opinion.
He is so far removed from what we are attempting to develop into as a football side. It was addition by subtraction when we let him go.
I'd be willing to let Rapana go to fund Arrow as a long term prop to play with Papalii.
That would allow Simonsson to keep the wing spot and Cotric to continue to develop as a centre permanently.
Croker would be forced to play wing on a lighter deal (which I think he would happily do to remain a one club man).
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: July 17, 2019, 9:54 am

You're focussing on the individuals. I am talking about player TYPE. We have nobody of the TYPE in our extended squad.

But if you do want to discuss individuals then look at Papenhuysen. He was a prime candidate for Pigman's "Who the **** is this ****" at the start of the season. Storm signed him from the Tigers and he was well down their depth chart. These guys are available on the market.
I knew who Paprika was, just like I knew who Drinkwater was. I was surprised they rate him faster that JAC, but Ive see him play. So, yes, i again commented on the player, however, check the bolded bit
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

PigRickman wrote: July 17, 2019, 9:55 am

Ive banged that drum a while now. I like the idea of 1 big body off the bench. It used to be an impact hooker to take advantage of tired forwards. I think you can do the same with a rampaging bull. If he avgs 30 good mins, probably split either side of the halftime break, your laughing. All teams have a player playing 20mins or less these days. It tends to be the bench backrower, but why not the big body prop? Otherwise you can hold him til the end. A fresh big bloke with 20 or less, would be interesting.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

I wouldn't take boyd back for free, he is big........thats it. Massively overrated.
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I've changed my opinion on this over the season. Unless you can snag a freak like NAS or Bromwich who are both big and mobile (and paid accordingly) I'm not putting a Boyd type in my top side.
The reliable defensive security outweighs the attacking gains you sometimes get.

But, a "bargain" style deal like Julian's wouldn't be the worst deal.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: July 17, 2019, 10:10 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 17, 2019, 9:54 am

I knew who Paprika was, just like I knew who Drinkwater was. I was surprised they rate him faster that JAC, but Ive see him play. So, yes, i again commented on the player, however, check the bolded bit
Yes I agree you need to get these guys at a junior level if you want a potential star. If you want to recruit a no14 or reserve player then you can look around the more experienced players. These guys are usually willing to switch clubs for a new opportunity. Thats how we got CNK. Been around a few years but stuck behind a high class back 3 at the Warriors.