Status check

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Status check

Post by Coastalraider »

Im all for analysis and critique, but there is some outstanding topics going on here at the moment.

I thought is was time for a status update.
  • We currently have 3 players who played State of Origin this year - the most for quite a while
  • We have around 7-8 players who would be expected to represent a tier 1 nation at the end of the year
  • We have one of the best up and coming fullbacks in the league
  • Our 5/8 (who I was very concerned with at the start of the year) has been a revelation.
  • Our defensive game is better than at any point in recent history
  • We have arguably the best back row in the comp
  • We have signed a current tier 1 international half to run off the back of our current tier 1 international dummy half, paring with a current Origin player in the 6
  • We are currently in 3rd spot on the table after 17 rounds

There is plenty of room to improve, but maybe just for a week, lets bathe in the magic of being a supporter of a competitive Raiders team - it doesn't happen anywhere near as often as it should.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Status Check

Post by Botman »

Good thread.
Fans on this site are the most passionate, insane people on the internet and we get so caught up criticing every minor flaw in the team, and we should at least take some time to appreciate that this team is:

1. Really fun to watch
b. Tough to beat and makes teams earn it
iii. Is actually pretty good and at least has a chance (whatever chance you think that is, it's not zero) to do something special

John Bateman has done so much for this team. His workrate as a defender, cover defender has really helped stiffen the resolve of the unit.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

We havent gotten flogged this year, which means every game has been great entertainment.

And really besides the storm game every game we have been in a position to win.

It has been an absolutely great season!~! second best regular season since bulgarelli, hopefully we make the top 4 and get the best finals series since 94.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Great post. And yet people around these parts still like to talk us down as not premiership contenders.

Absolutely ridiculous stuff
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

The ultimate poso thread. I love it. :thumbsup

Our biggest loss has been by 12 points to the 1st place Storm. Other losses have been to teams ranked 2-6 and all by 6 points or less. The only real anomaly is the loss to the Cowboys, who were actually playing quite well at the time.

Converting some of those close losses into wins against the other finals bound team is the last piece of the puzzle.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Northern Raider wrote: July 16, 2019, 2:31 pm The ultimate poso thread. I love it. :thumbsup

Our biggest loss has been by 12 points to the 1st place Storm. Other losses have been to teams ranked 2-6 and all by 6 points or less. The only real anomaly is the loss to the Cowboys, who were actually playing quite well at the time.

Converting some of those close losses into wins against the other finals bound team is the last piece of the puzzle.
The main thing that's been holding my confidence back as far as the team's chances at winning a premiership this year is the fact that we haven't been able to come up with the win against the other top teams in the comp.

In saying that though, I'm very much enjoying the season. As long as we continue to improve on the small issues we need to fix and there are no major injuries, we should have a very strong run in to the finals.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 16, 2019, 2:53 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 16, 2019, 2:31 pm The ultimate poso thread. I love it. :thumbsup

The main thing that's been holding my confidence back as far as the team's chances at winning a premiership this year is the fact that we haven't been able to come up with the win against the other top teams in the comp.

In saying that though, I'm very much enjoying the season. As long as we continue to improve on the small issues we need to fix and there are no major injuries, we should have a very strong run in to the finals.
Depends on who you regard as the top teams. Initially I thought it was Storm, Roosters and Bunnies. I've dropped the latter as I think they've come right back to the pack. We were a bit stiff losing to them too. Roosters we blew a late try that could have sent it into extra time. Admittedly though they dominated us for the majority of the game.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Status check

Post by zim »

Coastalraider wrote: July 16, 2019, 2:02 pm Im all for analysis and critique, but there is some outstanding topics going on here at the moment.

I thought is was time for a status update.
  • We currently have 3 players who played State of Origin this year - the most for quite a while
  • We have around 7-8 players who would be expected to represent a tier 1 nation at the end of the year
  • We have one of the best up and coming fullbacks in the league
  • Our 5/8 (who I was very concerned with at the start of the year) has been a revelation.
  • Our defensive game is better than at any point in recent history
  • We have arguably the best back row in the comp
  • We have signed a current tier 1 international half to run off the back of our current tier 1 international dummy half, paring with a current Origin player in the 6
  • We are currently in 3rd spot on the table after 17 rounds

There is plenty of room to improve, but maybe just for a week, lets bathe in the magic of being a supporter of a competitive Raiders team - it doesn't happen anywhere near as often as it should.
:thumbsup Bathing has begun.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Thoroughly enjoying this year.
Were a genuine chance of securing two home finals if we play to our potential.
The team has more grit in defence and is slowly formulating better ways to attack. This is not too dissimilar to the approach that good football teams (like the Roosters) have approached their work.
Also very excited about the new players who have stepped up.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Been a great season! It has possibly lacked the comedy value we threw into some of our losses last season but I can live with that.

I hope Donny hasn’t lost the keys to the trophy cabinet in HQ just in case...
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Where is the subscribe button?
I like this thread.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I honestly can't remember a season quite like this one. I've been wrestling with my excitement since pretty much round one, trying to keep it from spinning out of control...and the closer to finals we get the more I'm losing that fight.

I really feel like we can make a big splash and go deep.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

This season and 2016 have been really just damn enjoyable.

So far this season has totally eclipsed 2016. Hope it’s rewarded by an even better result.

Fantastic to have a team choc-full of talent and some real quality role models too. Don’t usually get both of those in a Rugby League team. I think a lot of credit for that goes to Ricky Stuart in setting the team culture. But also there’s just players who seem like genuinely great people Soliola, Croker, CNK, and Cotric to name a few.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Status check

Post by The Nickman »

raiderskater wrote:I honestly can't remember a season quite like this one. I've been wrestling with my excitement since pretty much round one, trying to keep it from spinning out of control...and the closer to finals we get the more I'm losing that fight.

I really feel like we can make a big splash and go deep.
Agreed. This is the most I’ve enjoyed a season from the very start in about thirty odd years and it’s been about that time since I’ve actually believed we could win the comp from the word go like I have this season

It’s been absolutely great
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

It's been a great season.

I'm enjoying it more than 2016.

In 2016 we rode off the back of Leipana + Austin individual brilliance.

This year we're a grittier, hungrier, gutsier team. I'd say we're a harder team than any other raiders team in the past 15 year.

In many ways this year reminds me of 87.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:It's been a great season.

I'm enjoying it more than 2016.

In 2016 we rode off the back of Leipana + Austin individual brilliance.

This year we're a grittier, hungrier, gutsier team. I'd say we're a harder team than any other raiders team in the past 15 year.

In many ways this year reminds me of 87.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
And yet you haven’t said a positive thing about the team all year

Weird
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think in my time as a proper fan able to appreciate the qualities of the team and not some pre teen kid just yelling for them, this year, '16 and '10 were the only seasons where i've genuinely thought if things break our way, we could do it and win a comp... '10 in particularly hurts because i think if not for that Campo ACL, we beat the Tigers and there isnt any reason to beleive we wouldnt have beaten the Dragons who won the comp...

And they were all super fun seasons (granted two of them ended in heartbreak and maybe this one will too)
But this team is very likable and easy to root for. They work hard and really make teams earn it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Status check

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:I think in my time as a proper fan able to appreciate the qualities of the team and not some pre teen kid just yelling for them, this year, '16 and '10 were the only seasons where i've genuinely thought if things break our way, we could do it
And they were all super fun seasons (granted two of them ended in heartbreak and maybe this one will too)

But this team is very likable and easy to root for.
The difference between this season and those two that you mentioned is the attitude of the team is more disciplined, they’ve focussed more heavily on defence, and they’ve competed since Round 1, not relying on a streak of luck at the end of the season and a Bull run playing Bull attacking football to make the finals

That’s what’s made the season more enjoyable for mine. It might lack the flash, but more than makes up for it with the consistency and determination
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

More excellent points I agree with completely.

This is a good thread.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah this definitely feels more sustainable and better suited to finals footy.
Im sure it will end in heartbreak because that's what this club does to us, but it's been a fun ride so far.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Thread of the Year, Coastal. Well done.

Northern Raider called this the ultimate poso thread but it isn't even really 'poso', as it isn't a rosy look at things. You've just listed the facts.

I really loved 2016. I giggled my way through pretty much that whole season and I can't pretend otherwise. But the grit and cohesiveness this year is so inspiring - and foreign - that I'm possibly more excited than when we were drilling teams by fifty.

The good things about this season seem like they could hang around for a while. Other years, we were all just waiting for the good runs to end.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Yeh its been a good year, but i wont be fully impressed until we beat the storm, roosters, or rabbits.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lucky wrote: July 16, 2019, 10:27 pm Yeh its been a good year, but i wont be fully impressed until we beat the storm, roosters, or rabbits.
I won't be fully impressed until there's a premiership. It's been 25 years.
Lucky
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucky »

greeneyed wrote: July 16, 2019, 10:39 pm
Lucky wrote: July 16, 2019, 10:27 pm Yeh its been a good year, but i wont be fully impressed until we beat the storm, roosters, or rabbits.
True.... even a prelim final would be good, like in 2016 except this time we dont lose to the cap rorters.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

After 17 rounds we are third on the ladder, and we've been in and around the top 4 all year. By this time in the year most teams are around about where they deserve to be on the ladder. So yes its been a good year and we are all right to be happy and proud of our team thus far to be in this position.
Yet every week is still a test. Will we beat the team we should be able to beat? how will we perform against the best in the comp? The reality is that we have not beaten the top 3 teams. At the same time, we have not had our best 17 against their best 17 and seen what the result is. We have put in some admirable performances, but were the opposition in those games at their best? AT the end of the day we can only look at the ladder and base our judgement on that. And it looks good.
Some of the teams we are contending with have looked awesome at times, like Newcastle, the Panthers, and Sharks. While Manly have shown how tough they can be without being filled with stars (Trbojevic's aside), and yet they, along with Souths and the Roosters, have managed to string together a series of poor performances and losses. We might be top 4 only due to their failings but its still legit. If they cant stay consistent then they deserve to be exactly where they are on the ladder, as do we.
Yet there are still doubts, and justifiably so. If we can be top 4 next year we will know that the changes Sticky has made have had a lasting impact and its not just a one off fluke year where we performed well and then sank back into mediocrity.
As for this year, the question remains unanswered. We have to see how we go in the last third of the season, with games against the Roosters and Storm to be a litmus test to see if we can be considered contenders. In the race to the premiership anything can happen. The Storm could be knocked out in the prelim, and and opportunity could arise.
Worse teams have won grand finals.
Lucky
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucky »

woppadingo wrote: July 16, 2019, 10:51 pm The Storm could be knocked out in the prelim, and and opportunity could arise.
oh how i wish this were the case... would give a feeling like winning the powerball lottery
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

We have the side to do it, but do we have the brains to do it? it’s just the stupid plays like the sezer kick on the third n dragons run 90 metres to score!! Regardless of score, keep the pressure on......a repeat set!!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

woppadingo wrote: July 16, 2019, 10:51 pm After 17 rounds we are third on the ladder, The reality is that we have not beaten the top 3 teams.
Some of the teams we are contending with have looked awesome at times, like Newcastle, the Panthers, and Sharks. While Manly have shown how tough they can be. ... they deserve to be exactly where they are on the ladder, as do we.
Yeah but, we are third; who are the top 3 teams?

Ah look I've told youse so before...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Interesting thread.

This season has been good because the coach has finally figured out what it takes to win. Defence. It's only taken 5 years.

The other fun thing is that every man and his dog, including most of the fans, wrote us off because we had a terrible squad - which was complete Bull from day one.

We've had a very talented squad for years. This year the coaching staff has actually done a reasonable job of getting (almost) the most out of it. Once our attack clicks, we could become a very good team to watch.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Seiffert82 wrote:The other fun thing is that every man and his dog, including most of the fans, wrote us off because we had a terrible squad - which was complete Bull from day one.
I think we absolutely deserved to have our squad have big question marks on it at the beginning of the year. Sure the top 2/3 of the first grade team had talent, but the last two years they’d been in poor form or unsupported by the team strategy/makeup/depth.

This year we have changed the strategy and relied heavily on the broader depth. Which outsider is going to pick:

* Bateman
* CNK
to come in and be elite

* Simonsson
* Sutton
to be outstanding and allow our team to reshuffle and cover injury

* Young
* Horsburgh
* Kris
to be solid first graders who fit with the plan and not been easily exploited

* Wighton
to not just improve on his first attempt at the halves and be serviceable, but actually being a form half in the comp

This was an unproven team. Just turns out they’ve proven they’re very good players. Which will make holding a squad like this impossible in the next couple of years.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Status check

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
Not me. I’d just be happy to close out this season like we started, with a comfortable run into the top 4, even if we don’t win, and then start next year with the same attitude and commitment as this season and cement ourselves as a consistent top 4 team and one of the competition heavyweights

THAT’S how you become a premiership team, with sustained pressure and being disciplined and play good football for an extended period. If you make the Top 4 one season and then spend the whole off season sniffing your own farts and don’t even make the 8 next year then the whole thing is for nought.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

If we retain our top 4 spot and beat the roosters and/or the storm in the lead up to the finals, it’s probably time to start getting excited.
Up The Milk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I love this club. Always have. It's great to see the team playing well.

Other people within rugby league are talking about the Raiders..that's where we are sitting..

Fight and scrap for every poccession, chase that kick, talk in defence, enjoying playing alongside your teammates, back each other, trust each other..AND WIN THAT DAMN COMP YA COWARDS !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Mickey_Raider wrote:If we retain our top 4 spot and beat the roosters and/or the storm in the lead up to the finals, it’s probably time to start getting excited.
Me too. Having said that, if we can somehow jag Top 2 WITHOUT beating either of those guys, I’m gonna be pretty damn excited

It’ll also mean that come finals time... we’re due to beat ‘em
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

That it eh ?

Once you're in the finals you only need to string together a good 3 weeks.

I've already told my boss..if the Raiders win the GF I'm going walkabout...mia !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: