Nick Cotric takes early plea, suspended three weeks

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Nick Cotric takes early plea, suspended three weeks

Post by Toviii »

How long can we expect Cotric to be out for? Anyone remember any similar tackles recently?

I think the way he carries on with the tackle once the player is past the horizontal is going to add quite a few weeks.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Cotric and the Judiciary

Post by -TW- »

I'd imagine at least 4 weeks

Depends how much the send off is included in the punishment

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

If he’d had his hands between his legs it would be much worse.

Grade 2 for me. I think it happened too quick for Cotric to adjust.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: July 14, 2019, 8:15 pm If he’d had his hands between his legs it would be much worse.

Grade 2 for me. I think it happened too quick for Cotric to adjust.
Yep, the lack of hands between the legs will help,unfortunately he really does drive him into the ground, which will hurt.

I dont know the charges or the priors/loading and how that'll imapct it, but to me that's a 6 to 8 week initial charge.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

-TW- wrote: July 14, 2019, 8:14 pm I'd imagine at least 4 weeks

Depends how much the send off is included in the punishment

The send off shouldn't affect the charge should it?
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I just watched the replay.

He lifted, continued on with the tackle and had another attempt when the player was on the ground.

It’s grade 3 if not 4. You can’t mount really any defence
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I think also as it was a send off, the NRL will want to make an example of it, so penalty will be on the hard side no matter what
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

At least he will be fresh for the finals

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Disappointing, but you can't argue with the send off or with a significant period of time out. Obviously it wasn't deliberate but you just can't have those tackles in the game.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Dr Zaius wrote:At least he will be fresh for the finals

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Well there is 8 weeks left of normal competition
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Looks like they only have 3 grades.
https://www.nrl.com/operations/the-game/judiciary-code/

Means it's either grade 2 or 3. Being a 1 on 1 tackle and the player being unhurt he might get away with Grade 2. More likely a grade 3 though. 500 points will mean 4 weeks with early plea.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Northern Raider wrote:Looks like they only have 3 grades.

Means it's either grade 2 or 3. Being a 1 on 1 tackle and the player being unhurt he might get away with Grade 2. More likely a grade 3 though. 500 points will mean 4 weeks with early plea.
Buzz Rothfield on Twitter called 2 - 4 weeks
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LastRaider wrote: July 14, 2019, 8:30 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Looks like they only have 3 grades.

Buzz Rothfield on Twitter called 2 - 4 weeks
Assuming guilty plea it will be 2 or 4 weeks for grade 2 and 3 respectively.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Someone who knows the rules better than I do help out here please. What is the consideration for mistake as opposed to intentional?

Yes, it looks bad because he's driven him into the ground. But looking at the mechanics of the tackle, there is no way I can see there being any intent or malice into it.

To me, going by what damage it could have caused is highly subjective and brings out multiple shades of grey, therefore cannot be the marker used.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: July 14, 2019, 8:32 pm Someone who knows the rules better than I do help out here please. What is the consideration for mistake as opposed to intentional?

Yes, it looks bad because he's driven him into the ground. But looking at the mechanics of the tackle, there is no way I can see there being any intent or malice into it.

To me, going by what damage it could have caused it highly subjective and brings out multiple shades of grey, therefore cannot be the marker used.
The best answer, as far as ive seen with the judicary is, it's a lottery. I agree, there is no malice or intent but the driving is a problem. We'll see where it lands i guess and hope we come on the right side of the coin flip
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: July 14, 2019, 8:32 pm Someone who knows the rules better than I do help out here please. What is the consideration for mistake as opposed to intentional?

To me, going by what damage it could have caused is highly subjective and brings out multiple shades of grey, therefore cannot be the marker used.
You're asking us to understand how the MRC thinks. Anybody who claims they can is lying. :lol:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

2 weeks, clumsy no malice player unhurt
Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bonehead wrote: July 14, 2019, 8:41 pm 2 weeks, clumsy no malice player unhurt
In normal circumstances yes. In this case they may come down harder to justify the send off.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

afgtnk wrote:Someone who knows the rules better than I do help out here please. What is the consideration for mistake as opposed to intentional?

No idea, but unlike high tackles there's only one category of dangerous throw

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

PigRickman wrote: July 14, 2019, 8:37 pm

To me, going by what damage it could have caused it highly subjective and brings out multiple shades of grey, therefore cannot be the marker used.
The best answer, as far as ive seen with the judicary is, it's a lottery. I agree, there is no malice or intent but the driving is a problem. We'll see where it lands i guess and hope we come on the right side of the coin flip
To me the driving comes as a result of his intent, which is to drive Lafai onto his back. Because of his body position and Lafai stepping back on the inside, he can't muster enough strength to do so which sees his arms slide lower and subsequently make it dangerous.

Although I admit my upkeep of RL's reguarly changing rules isn't great these days, I thought send-offs and more severe punishments reserved for when a defender picks someone up lower on the legs fom the outset, with the intention to drive them head first thus made clear.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I'd have said a grade one, hands around both legs, tackled player was in motion, I fail to see any intentional driving, send off already a punishment - guilty plea 100 points with 25 % discount. And anyone thinking Klein is somehow a legitimate arbiter, take a long hard look at yourself - he sent Cotric off because Ashley knows he's an inch away from being sacked as a first grade ref for his inability to see the blindingly obvious despite all the hi tech the bunker can provide...
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

2 weeks, plus 4 weeks Raiders loading

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

-TW- wrote: July 14, 2019, 8:49 pm
afgtnk wrote:Someone who knows the rules better than I do help out here please. What is the consideration for mistake as opposed to intentional?

No. 100, 300 and 500 points.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Kris went off injured today too yeah?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: July 14, 2019, 8:51 pm

To me the driving comes as a result of his intent, which is to drive Lafai onto his back. Because of his body position and Lafai stepping back on the inside, he can't muster enough strength to do so which sees his arms slide lower and subsequently make it dangerous.

Although I admit my upkeep of RL's reguarly changing rules isn't great these days, I thought send-offs and more severe punishments reserved for when a defender picks someone up lower on the legs fom the outset, with the intention to drive them head first thus made clear.
Yeah, i think Cotric will referred directly to the Judicary and that will be the rough argument they make. They'll argue Cotric's actions were safe and it's just an unfortunate situation of circumstance... we'll see how it goes. As i said, that judicary situation feels like a genuine lottery and a lot might come down to how the media cover it if we're being honest.

I'll be stoked if he gets less than 6 weeks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Would be incredibly harsh to refer that straight to the judiciary. Basically saying it's beyond the highest grading.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Regardless of the punishment, I’d imagine the club won’t dispute it. To be honest, they shouldn’t! It would be a bad look and they know it. They’re taking this one on the chin.

Whilst not appearing to be intentional, it’s a really bad tackle, and one that the game has had recent negative press from (McKinnon). A harsh suspension should not surprise anyone.

Ideally you’d never see another spear tackle in the game ever again - the consequences can be sickening. The send off was fair, and the suspension will be fair. We should acknowledge and move on.

And I’d be shocked if Cotric was anything other than completely remorseful. Hopefully the club get around him and we see him back to his best on the park before finals.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

You guys are crazy. I see that tackle penalised every couple of weeks. The hoopla around the send off is something only the Raiders r other punching bag team would cop- and tinfoil hats off, records bear this out with send offs and binnings.

8 weeks for a standard lifted tackle gone wrong, no hand between the legs, player puts their hand up to shield? I've watched Hodgo alone cop 3 of those this year with no long suspensions for it. Why are you so sure Cotric should cop it? Crazy.

2 weeks is plenty. I'd prefer to fight if it's longer than that and just sit thr judiciary down to a 5 minute montage of tackles this season alone that have had NO SUSPENSION. Let alone also a send off.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: July 14, 2019, 9:04 pm You guys are crazy. I see that tackle penalised every couple of weeks. The hoopla around the send off is something only the Raiders r other punching bag team would cop- and tinfoil hats off, records bear this out with send offs and binnings.

8 weeks for a standard lifted tackle gone wrong, no hand between the legs, player puts their hand up to shield? I've watched Hodgo alone cop 3 of those this year with no long suspensions for it. Why are you so sure Cotric should cop it? Crazy.

2 weeks is plenty. I'd prefer to fight if it's longer than that and just sit thr judiciary down to a 5 minute montage of tackles this season alone that have had NO SUSPENSION. Let alone also a send off.
There is something crazy going on here.
(Spoiler alert, its you)
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Rickmando wrote: July 14, 2019, 9:02 pm Regardless of the punishment, I’d imagine the club won’t dispute it. To be honest, they shouldn’t! It would be a bad look and they know it. They’re taking this one on the chin.
Yep, i think they'll take what ever is given to them if they have the opportunity to do so without a direct referral to the judicary.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 14, 2019, 9:00 pm Would be incredibly harsh to refer that straight to the judiciary. Basically saying it's beyond the highest grading.
This is a post McKinnon world. And it's the worst spear tackle we've seen since that IMO
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Lui_Bon wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 14, 2019, 8:49 pm

No. 100, 300 and 500 points.
Intentional, careless and reckless high tackle?

FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I thought it looked far worse than it was. No way shouldve been sent off. For the record, no player has been sent off for a lifting tackle since 1995!

As has been said, he was trying to make a dominant 1 on 1 tackle, lafai stepped and it meant he caught him awkwardly. Pretty sure he has a clean record. Should get 2 weeks, but with the raiders loading, he'll prob get six
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Cotric and the Judiciary

Post by LastRaider »

Northern Raider wrote:
In normal circumstances yes. In this case they may come down harder to justify the send off.
I don’t think the player being hurt or unhurt should come into it. It’s needs to be judged on the risk to the player, intent and seriousness of the action.

BTW Stuart is blowing up in the presser apparently about being a send off.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LastRaider wrote: July 14, 2019, 9:16 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
I don’t think the player being hurt or unhurt should come into it. It’s needs to be judged on the risk to the player, intent and seriousness of the action
It should and it does. Like any crime, the result dictates the severity of the charge.