Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by PerthRaider86 »

greeneyed wrote: July 3, 2019, 9:26 am Don't know how reliable this is...

It’s been a busy week at Headingley, but the Rhinos won’t be calming down their recruitment drive anytime soon. The Rhinos are still eyeing up a new halfback for next season. Canberra Raiders’ Aidan Sezer is the latest name to be thrown into the mix, after reports claimed that he is keen on a move away from the NRL.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/rumour-mill-23-21020/
Wigan have won the race for Salford star Jackson Hastings, report League Express. The 23-year-old has been one of Super League’s most highly-sought after players over the past 12 months, attracting serious interest from Leeds and the NRL. It seems, however, that Hastings will be a Wigan player in 2020, replacing Canberra Raiders-bound George Williams.

Cant the club just come out and say they have signed williams for next year.... I mean everyone knows its gonna happen????

Or are they waiting to see if they offload Sezer first?
Perth Based Raiders Fan
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'd say it has more to do with Wigan not wanting to announce something until it suits them... or they are still haggling over the transfer fee. They did the former with John Bateman... delayed and delayed and then announced it independently of the Raiders, before Canberra could... and then presented it as if they had just loaned Bateman to the Raiders for a couple of years, announcing he'd return to Wigan after that on an elite contract after the contract with the Raiders expired. It wasn't true, as it turned out... all Bateman had informally said was that if he returned to Super League, he'd give Wigan the first shot at contracting him.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: July 8, 2019, 7:32 pm I'd say it has more to do with Wigan not wanting to announce something until it suits them... or they are still haggling over the transfer fee. They did the former with John Bateman... delayed and delayed and then announced it independently of the Raiders, before Canberra could... and then presented it as if they had just loaned Bateman to the Raiders for a couple of years, announcing he'd return to Wigan after that on an elite contract after the contract with the Raiders expired. It wasn't true, as it turned out... all Bateman had informally said was that if he returned to Super League, he'd give Wigan the first shot at contracting him.
Yeah it's crazy
the entire RL world knows it's happening, and whatever deal is in place aint changing. Strikes me as Wigan being pretty petulant (and maybe that's harsh, we're treating them like a farm system at the moment and they're trying to deliver results for their fans and sponsors) and the Raiders taking the high road knowing they got their man and letting Wigan play it out which ever way they'd like
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

greeneyed wrote: July 8, 2019, 7:32 pm I'd say it has more to do with Wigan not wanting to announce something until it suits them... or they are still haggling over the transfer fee. They did the former with John Bateman... delayed and delayed and then announced it independently of the Raiders, before Canberra could... and then presented it as if they had just loaned Bateman to the Raiders for a couple of years, announcing he'd return to Wigan after that on an elite contract after the contract with the Raiders expired. It wasn't true, as it turned out... all Bateman had informally said was that if he returned to Super League, he'd give Wigan the first shot at contracting him.
It's probably a little more formal than that - but only if and when he returns to Super League. Have a look at the Iestyn Harris saga to see why they've done it.

As for the announcement, I'm guessing Wigan were waiting until they could announce Hastings, so it didn't look so bad for them.

Incidentally, Williams' form has picked up dramatically over the last few weeks. Lam has Wigan much improved and Williams has been a key part of that.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: July 6, 2019, 9:57 am 7. Cade Cust (Sea Eagles) $85,000 plus match payments

Has only played 6 NRL matches but has proven a perfect foil for million-dollar man Daly Cherry-Evans. In those six games Cust has chalked up six try assists, six line break assists and three tries. Also earns a $3000 match payment for every match played for Manly.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8ce8c91a6c
Surely Cust is worth throwing $250k or so at as a back up half if he's only on $85k plus match payments at the moment... definitely an upgrade on Williams and has a lot of potential
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

Transfer fee was agreed a long time ago. It has to be Wigan that is driving the delay in announcement.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Id say the announcement of Hastings was the final piece to the puzzle.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by LastRaider »

We just need another front rower now to support Papilii (TPJ preferred) and I will be feeling quite confident about our 2020 hopes!

People are going to hate me saying this but we need to move on either Rapana or Croker to free cap to do this

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 9, 2019, 8:08 am
greeneyed wrote: July 6, 2019, 9:57 am 7. Cade Cust (Sea Eagles) $85,000 plus match payments

Has only played 6 NRL matches but has proven a perfect foil for million-dollar man Daly Cherry-Evans. In those six games Cust has chalked up six try assists, six line break assists and three tries. Also earns a $3000 match payment for every match played for Manly.

Surely Cust is worth throwing $250k or so at as a back up half if he's only on $85k plus match payments at the moment... definitely an upgrade on Williams and has a lot of potential
Id be very happy with that.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Matt wrote:
Raiders_Pat wrote: July 9, 2019, 8:08 am

Id be very happy with that.
Throw in some TPA cash from Crust and it’d be sweet
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

LastRaider wrote: July 9, 2019, 9:03 am We just need another front rower now to support Papilii (TPJ preferred) and I will be feeling quite confident about our 2020 hopes!

People are going to hate me saying this but we need to move on either Rapana or Croker to free cap to do this

I’d be thrilled to see them save some money on Croker... but then devastated to see them fritter it away on a slob like TPJ.

Sign Ese’ese for a 1/3 of the price (you’ll get twice the work rate)
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

It really shouldn’t be that hard a sell to shave a considerable amount off Croker’s next deal.

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

RTW wrote:It really shouldn’t be that hard a sell to shave a considerable amount off Croker’s next deal.

I should hope so.

Anyone know what forwards are coming off contract at the end of the year?
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

I don’t know what Croker is on but isn’t a good portion of it subsidised due to him having so many years of service to the one club? His entire salary doesn’t go to the cap does it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Danaman137 wrote: July 10, 2019, 11:43 pm I don’t know what Croker is on but isn’t a good portion of it subsidised due to him having so many years of service to the one club? His entire salary doesn’t go to the cap does it?

The cap has a $200k Veteran and Developed Player Allowance'' for players who were either developed by the club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the club, or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game.

https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrity/salary-cap/

That allowance would be per club, not per player.

So presumably blokes like Croker, Papalii, Wighton, Cotric etc all qualify for that allowance. Basically any junior player qualifies, irrespective of years of service, but Croker qualifies on all three counts; junior player, 8 years top 30 squad and 10 years in the NRL.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Seiffert82 wrote:
Danaman137 wrote: July 10, 2019, 11:43 pm I don’t know what Croker is on but isn’t a good portion of it subsidised due to him having so many years of service to the one club? His entire salary doesn’t go to the cap does it?

The cap has a $200k Veteran and Developed Player Allowance'' for players who were either developed by the club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the club, or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game.

So presumably blokes like Croker, Papalii, Wighton, Cotric etc all qualify for that allowance. Basically any junior player qualifies, irrespective of years of service, but Croker qualifies on all three counts; junior player, 8 years top 30 squad and 10 years in the NRL.
So it would just be $200k off spread across all eligible players?

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

It's the most useless dispensation I've ever heard of as every club would have a handful of guys eligible for it... it doesn't encourage or promote anything. If it was say something like $50k per player or $1mil across the squad it would make more sense as it would give the developing club extra wiggle room when negotiating new contracts/extensions. The current format just allows for every club to have an extra $200k available under the cap...
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 11, 2019, 12:19 pm It's the most useless dispensation I've ever heard of as every club would have a handful of guys eligible for it... it doesn't encourage or promote anything. If it was say something like $50k per player or $1mil across the squad it would make more sense as it would give the developing club extra wiggle room when negotiating new contracts/extensions. The current format just allows for every club to have an extra $200k available under the cap...
While the idea is great, and don't we all want long serving players to be able to stay at one club. It's pretty counter-intuitive to a Cap model that is designed to re-distribute talent.

If you expand the long serving player allowance you really need to be prepared for the consequence.
Turning over a roster and re-building would become more difficult. Large advantages under the cap for having a chunk of long serving players is going to benefit Roosters, Broncos and Storm as much as anyone, if not more.
It also becomes a selling point for bigger clubs to get young players to take unders while they are young to be at a successful club, because later in your career you can be paid more and still be at the successful club.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Beejay wrote: July 11, 2019, 12:50 pm While the idea is great, and don't we all want long serving players to be able to stay at one club. It's pretty counter-intuitive to a Cap model that is designed to re-distribute talent.

If you expand the long serving player allowance you really need to be prepared for the consequence.
Turning over a roster and re-building would become more difficult. Large advantages under the cap for having a chunk of long serving players is going to benefit Roosters, Broncos and Storm as much as anyone, if not more.
It also becomes a selling point for bigger clubs to get young players to take unders while they are young to be at a successful club, because later in your career you can be paid more and still be at the successful club.
True. I'm not sure what the solution is but I do know that the current dispensation is virtually meaningless...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Given the relatively small amount and that every club would have players that qualify it is a useless clause.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 11, 2019, 7:51 am

So IF we had 10 players with service, yes I know unlikely but not impossible, we could offer them 20k to stay... or 5 players 40k

Well done NRL, hello Roosters
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

There is a very good reason Nick Politis ensures he is on any NRL committee that studies the Cap and any related aspects of the game. He is there to make sure that developing juniors never results in an advantage to a club. Hence the various allowances for long service are meaningless, and will never be able to counteract the benefits of private player payments by businesses or individuals.
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

Cranky Old Man wrote: July 11, 2019, 8:49 pm There is a very good reason Nick Politis ensures he is on any NRL committee that studies the Cap and any related aspects of the game. He is there to make sure that developing juniors never results in an advantage to a club. Hence the various allowances for long service are meaningless, and will never be able to counteract the benefits of private player payments by businesses or individuals.
While not a huge fan of the Roosters here's a list players that would count as their juniors.

Latrell Mitchell
Boyd Cordner
Victor Radley
Joseph Manu
Nat Butcher
Jake Friend
Mitchell Aubusson
Isaac Liu
Lachlan Lam

Some pretty decent players there.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Yep, as designed to appease a club which spends as close to zero as possible on juniors, the system allows all those players to be classed as local products, but only Radley is a local. And even he was paid for in his junior days by Souths Juniors as Easts don't have enough junior clubs to run a local comp.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

The Roosters pump a lot of money into the Central Coast

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Tpj off the market
Dont delete this GE
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

simo wrote: July 12, 2019, 8:22 am Tpj off the market
I just read $600K per season and therein lies everything that is wrong with the enforcement of the salary cap. He has not walked away from hundreds of thousands of dollars - it is being made up elsewhere.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Dusty wrote:The Roosters pump a lot of money into the Central Coast

They also consistently bring a few boys down from QLD at the end of their schooling each year.

simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

When are we able to make an offe to get jai arrow away from that goldcoast cesspool
Dont delete this GE
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

simo wrote: July 13, 2019, 9:38 am When are we able to make an offe to get jai arrow away from that goldcoast cesspool
Now that I could get on board with. Imagine swapping Boyd for Arrow. The world's biggest heist.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 13, 2019, 11:12 am
simo wrote: July 13, 2019, 9:38 am When are we able to make an offe to get jai arrow away from that goldcoast cesspool
Now that I could get on board with. Imagine swapping Boyd for Arrow. The world's biggest heist.
I wonder what price he would come for. You can get 80 mins out of him at lock or 50-60 at prop. With papa also commanding 50-60 at prop it leaves you with a lot of flexibility in your bench usage as well as set up for a reduction in interchange
Dont delete this GE
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

simo wrote:
I wonder what price he would come for. You can get 80 mins out of him at lock or 50-60 at prop. With papa also commanding 50-60 at prop it leaves you with a lot of flexibility in your bench usage as well as set up for a reduction in interchange
550 to 650 in my opinion, starting origin middle so you'd have to pay that number I reckon.
Edrick The Entertainer
dribble73
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Austin

Post by dribble73 »

Roy Rover wrote:
Cranky Old Man wrote: July 11, 2019, 8:49 pm There is a very good reason Nick Politis ensures he is on any NRL committee that studies the Cap and any related aspects of the game. He is there to make sure that developing juniors never results in an advantage to a club. Hence the various allowances for long service are meaningless, and will never be able to counteract the benefits of private player payments by businesses or individuals.
While not a huge fan of the Roosters here's a list players that would count as their juniors.

Latrell Mitchell
Boyd Cordner
Victor Radley
Joseph Manu
Nat Butcher
Jake Friend
Mitchell Aubusson
Isaac Liu
Lachlan Lam

Both Mitchell and Manu were external players that the Roosters signed. Different to someone like Radley who they actually developed.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dribble73 wrote:
Roy Rover wrote:

Latrell Mitchell
Boyd Cordner
Victor Radley
Joseph Manu
Nat Butcher
Jake Friend
Mitchell Aubusson
Isaac Liu
Lachlan Lam

Both Mitchell and Manu were external players that the Roosters signed. Different to someone like Radley who they actually developed.

they got Latrell from Gateshead sports high
Edrick The Entertainer
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

bonehead wrote: July 13, 2019, 4:06 pm
simo wrote:
550 to 650 in my opinion, starting origin middle so you'd have to pay that number I reckon.
Worth every cent
Dont delete this GE