2019 State of Origin III: New South Wales V Queensland: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Blues 13+
No votes
Blues 1-12
57%
Maroons 1-12
29%
Maroons 13+
14%

Total votes: 7

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2019 State of Origin III: New South Wales V Queensland: Teams and Game Day

Post by Billy Walker »

Sid wrote: July 11, 2019, 9:00 am
Billy Walker wrote: July 11, 2019, 8:54 am If you picked the Kangaroos today who are your centres?
mine would be Tom T. and Wighton, however I could see Mal going with Tom T. and Mitchell and he wouldn't be wrong
I agree - surely Chambers is done and unlikely someone like Munster will be picked out of position. Jack is a big chance and deserves it!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

the bone wrote: July 11, 2019, 8:59 am So who’s Origin careers are over (or on life support)?
Crighton
Walker?
Morris
Wallace
Glasby
Chambers
Mbye

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Crighton - Would need some injuries to force his way back in. Only 23 so has time. Don't forget he play for Rooster so will always get attention.
Walker - As a starting half yes. May nab a bench utility role at best.
Morris - Yep, he's done.
Wallace - Should be finished but lack of depth for QLD might see him back.
Glasby - As above but he's ahead of Wallace.
Chambers - Only if they can find a replacement, which is the issue.
Mbye - Might be the end of him

I'll confidently add Daniel Saifiti to the list.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Sid wrote:
the bone wrote: July 11, 2019, 8:33 am
Northern Raider wrote:
gergreg wrote: July 11, 2019, 8:01 am Thankfully the refs put the whistle away in the second half and it ended up being a great half of footy. Somebody has to have said something to them at halftime.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
..or maybe both teams stopped pushing the limits.
Nothing changed from the players IMO, the refs put their whistles away. The first half refereeing seemed strangely tit-for-tat in terms of the penalties... my take was ol’ mate Gerard tried to stamp his authority with some really weak penalties early in the game.. he’d give the blues a cheap one, and then something similar to the maroons (or the maroons first then the blues). This, along with some penalties that were obvious/had no choice, added up and created a stop-start kind of game. Then as per most origins, the whistle went away.

It’s a hard one because in prior years the refs were far too lax... the line speed was outright Bull for a few series which led to some suffocating, grinding games. So I do support refs blowing the whistle, particularly for 10 metre infringements, but some of those penalties last night were especially weak, even by the standards of a regular NRL game.

could be wrong, it was a long time ago and I was young.. but from memory the first time in particular the whistle was put away in Origin was around bill harrigan days? Players wouldn't have been expecting it as much so it was probably a reasonably clean free flowing game and the referees were applauded. The more the whistle has been put away for origin and finals, the more players have expected it and teams have worked out how to exploit it
Yep Harrigan was the first of the game-managing refs, but as you alluded to, you didn’t really notice teams exploiting this until later. My theory is the Storm masterminded this better than anyone, particularly once the rugby league fraternity got sick of their wrestling BS. Cameron Smith, arguably the GOAT... and by a country mile, the smartest player of all time

the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Northern Raider wrote:
the bone wrote: July 11, 2019, 8:59 am So who’s Origin careers are over (or on life support)?
Crighton
Walker?
Morris
Wallace
Glasby
Chambers
Mbye

Crighton - Would need some injuries to force his way back in. Only 23 so has time. Don't forget he play for Rooster so will always get attention.
Morris - Yep, he's done.

Yep I forgot Saifiti. He’ll be down the pecking order behind guys like Haas and TPJ

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: July 11, 2019, 9:13 am
Northern Raider wrote:
Crighton
Walker?
Morris
Wallace
Glasby
Chambers
Mbye

Morris - Yep, he's done.

Yep I forgot Saifiti. He’ll be down the pecking order behind guys like Haas and TPJ

4 ineffective hit ups doesn't quite cut it at this level.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I just looked at player stats. Tyson Frizell had 2 runs for 15m in 72 mins. Surely thats wrong!!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Northern Raider wrote: July 11, 2019, 9:07 am
Crighton
Walker?
Morris
Wallace
Glasby
Chambers
Mbye

Morris - Yep, he's done.

Maloney will be 34 and doesn't have an NRL contract for next year
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Junior
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by Junior »

watching the game, that lefthand side of Qld of Kaufusi, Norman, Mbye and Oates. would have to be one of the worst they have put on the field.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

It was obviously a tactic of Queensland's to bomb to Ferguson to take him out of the second tackle hit up, but there were two or three occasions (Morgan, DCE, Norman) all kicked out on the full trying to kick it down the short side. That's just silly adherence to a game plan when it wasn't on. I might be bias, but Walters left Papalii off for far, far too long in that second half. He was the best forward on the park by some margin, and he can play decent minutes.

I thought Wighton did really well, he shut down a number of dangerous attacks with aggressive defence, and still made 100m+ which, as a centre, is really impressive. He will be picked most games now, you would think - if not as a centre, then as a bench utility. I still think with a year or two of experience in the halves (and hopefully a few finals matches), he can play there at this level.

Tedesco was just immense - he has dominated two series of Origin now. When he is on, he is virtually unplayable.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

TongueFTW wrote: July 11, 2019, 10:25 am It was obviously a tactic of Queensland's to bomb to Ferguson to take him out of the second tackle hit up, but there were two or three occasions (Morgan, DCE, Norman) all kicked out on the full trying to kick it down the short side. That's just silly adherence to a game plan when it wasn't on. I might be bias, but Walters left Papalii off for far, far too long in that second half. He was the best forward on the park by some margin, and he can play decent minutes.

I thought Wighton did really well, he shut down a number of dangerous attacks with aggressive defence, and still made 100m+ which, as a centre, is really impressive. He will be picked most games now, you would think - if not as a centre, then as a bench utility. I still think with a year or two of experience in the halves (and hopefully a few finals matches), he can play there at this level.

Tedesco was just immense - he has dominated two series of Origin now. When he is on, he is virtually unplayable.
He's done that all series. He's been on the bench far too long while ploders like Wallace and Glasby take up space in the middle of the park. Paps is clearly their no1 prop and in the modern game you should be getting around 60min out of a player like that. Not the 40 odd he's been getting.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Yup, Queensland really lost their way when Paps was off the field, and that was the only period we didn't dominate in the forwards.

You take out of the game that period with Papalii off the field where Tedesco and Cook score and Queensland wins easily IMO.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Was at the game and was annoying to see NSW keep going to the right while wighton and abdo car was staring at open space in front of them on the left.
One odd thing I noticed (and I don't watch enough live games to know if it's a regular thing in most games), but in attack, especially coming out our end, Wighton and Abdo Car would swap with Wighton staying close to the sideline while Abdo Car lines up at centre.
Is that a usual tactic in games?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Aero wrote: July 11, 2019, 11:52 am Was at the game and was annoying to see NSW keep going to the right while wighton and abdo car was staring at open space in front of them on the left.
One odd thing I noticed (and I don't watch enough live games to know if it's a regular thing in most games), but in attack, especially coming out our end, Wighton and Abdo Car would swap with Wighton staying close to the sideline while Abdo Car lines up at centre.

His name is Addo-Carr.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Billy Walker wrote: July 11, 2019, 11:57 am
Aero wrote: July 11, 2019, 11:52 am Was at the game and was annoying to see NSW keep going to the right while wighton and abdo car was staring at open space in front of them on the left.

His name is Addo-Carr.
I hope that was somehow an accident....
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: July 11, 2019, 11:57 am

His name is Addo-Carr.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I've been critical of Mbye before but he has been pretty solid since moving into the centres at Tigers. He isn't a fullback. He doesn't have the turn of speed, or speed in general and he doesn't have the ball playing skills for fullback.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: July 11, 2019, 12:35 pm I've been critical of Mbye before but he has been pretty solid since moving into the centres at Tigers. He isn't a fullback. He doesn't have the turn of speed, or speed in general and he doesn't have the ball playing skills for fullback.

He was really good last night, too. I personally wouldn't have started him in front of Morgan, but I was wrong.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Has Gagai been found?

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote: July 11, 2019, 1:02 pm Has Gagai been found?

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
If Chambers knew how to **** pass the football Gagai was in space on numerous occasions in that game, similar to Game 1.

Queensland honestly could've been up by 20 points at halftime of Game 1 if Chambers knew how to pass and last night was a similar story.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

The Greenhouse score update service
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

just watched Walters press conference, cracked up at his response regarding how Morgan was going.

'He's with us, he thinks we've won so somebody's just got to bring him down from that' hahahah
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

How did former Canberra Raider James Tedesco go ?

That dude is hot to touch...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

The Rickman wrote: July 11, 2019, 11:38 am Yup, Queensland really lost their way when Paps was off the field, and that was the only period we didn't dominate in the forwards.

You take out of the game that period with Papalii off the field where Tedesco and Cook score and Queensland wins easily IMO.
Except Cook ran around Papalii to score....
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote: July 12, 2019, 8:39 am
The Rickman wrote: July 11, 2019, 11:38 am Yup, Queensland really lost their way when Paps was off the field, and that was the only period we didn't dominate in the forwards.

Except Cook ran around Papalii to score....
Yeah?? Well.... ummmm… **** off, that's who!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He ran around Fifita at marker then stepped back inside on Papalii. Either way both had issues. Fifi with the grasping tackle and Papalii coming out too fast and leaving too large a gap.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Look, let's just admit we were all wrong and move on from this incident, can we??
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Perhaps. I've just looked at the tea leaves though and it doesn't look promising.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

This is the worst Christmas ever.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I made mention of the same thing in Game 2. It seemed to me that the tactic was one of pace/evasion over power for the NSW left/Qld right when the Blues were in possession in their own half. Maybe Addo Carr had some input on his Storm team mate Chambers. Also the large athlete Turbo Tom against the much smaller Mbye would seem a logical place to attack.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Crighton
Walker?
Morris
Wallace
Glasby
Chambers
Mbye

Very hard to write players off until they actually retire as it depends on the circumstances eg Morris was back due to injury after retiring from Rep footy. After 2017 it was not expected Pearce or Ferguson would be back, but there they were in the thick of setting up the match winning try in 2019.

There is talk of Maloney going to England next year but I remember Qld bringing Langer out of cold storage once and icing a game/series for the Maroons. Can never pick the 2020 side in 2019 but if injury had not have intervened then Keary would have been in the NSW halves. Same could be said of injury stopping further selection of Nic Cotric and Haas. Mitchell lost focus but who's to say he won't get it back next year.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

We do that sometimes too.

Have a game plan that we stick too at the detriment of just putting the ball where the space is.