27%
Dragons 13+
9%

Total votes: 11

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Re: 2019 Rd 17 V Dragons: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by LastRaider »

With the news of Williams signing yesterday, I bet Sezer has an absolute blinder this week which will only demonstrate the player he has been for us over the past 3 years. Hot and cold player who has potential just can’t do it week in week out
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

LastRaider wrote: July 10, 2019, 2:50 pm With the news of Williams signing yesterday, I bet Sezer has an absolute blinder this week which will only demonstrate the player he has been for us over the past 3 years. Hot and cold player who has potential just can’t do it week in week out
He's never done it, let alone week to week.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Suspension won't dim Tariq Sims' approach against Canberra Raiders, says Ricky Stuart

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart is expecting Tariq Sims to bring exactly the same physical approach that made him a NSW Blues State of Origin player, despite his recent suspension for a high tackle.

"He's a very good player and he's a really big part of their team so I don't expect anything different to what we've normally got when I see Tariq Sims playing," Stuart said. "He's an Origin player and he's a big threat."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm expecting Jack and Papa to come back to club land on a high.

Starting with the Queens on Sunday we now have 9 weeks to position for a finals run.

Who's ready for that ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: July 11, 2019, 2:44 pm I'm expecting Jack and Papa to come back to club land on a high.

Starting with the Queens on Sunday we now have 9 weeks to position for a finals run.

Who's ready for that ?
Everybody except dubby and Brew!!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

-PJ- wrote: July 11, 2019, 2:44 pm I'm expecting Jack and Papa to come back to club land on a high.

Who's ready for that ?
I'm not ready yet, I need to re-tie my shoe lace..
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Sid wrote: July 11, 2019, 3:33 pm

Who's ready for that ?
I'm not ready yet, I need to re-tie my shoe lace..
I never mastered the shoe lace thing, hence the velcro tabs on the Dunlop KT-26s
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I can’t wait for the run home. Hoping it can be successful

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Match Preview: Raiders v Dragons: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33476

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/07 ... v-dragons/

VIDEO: The St George Illawarra Dragons need a victory over the Canberra Raiders to keep their fading top-eight hopes alive when the two sides meet at WIN Stadium. Sam Squiers and Jamie Soward preview the last match of Round 17: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/11/dra ... -round-17/

NRL.com power rankings: 3. Canberra Raiders (3)

The Raiders have shown enough this season to convince me they're top-four material and they'll look forward to getting everybody back from Origin duty. They've got two very winnable games in the next two weeks against the Dragons and Tigers and I'm interested to see how they bounce back from the loss to the Eels in Darwin.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/08/sow ... t-rolling/
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: July 11, 2019, 4:26 pm NRL.com power rankings: 3. Canberra Raiders (3)

The Raiders have shown enough this season to convince me they're top-four material and they'll look forward to getting everybody back from Origin duty. They've got two very winnable games in the next two weeks against the Dragons and Tigers and I'm interested to see how they bounce back from the loss to the Eels in Darwin.

Surprised that Soward has us as third in his power rankings even after the loss against the Eels the other week... it seems that a lot of NRL pundits still don't rate us and people are talking about how it could only possibly come down to Storm vs Roosters in the GF. I think that those two are definitely the favourites to make the GF but it's definitely not as cut and dried as many are making it out to be.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 11, 2019, 5:00 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 11, 2019, 4:26 pm NRL.com power rankings: 3. Canberra Raiders (3)

Surprised that Soward has us as third in his power rankings even after the loss against the Eels the other week... it seems that a lot of NRL pundits still don't rate us and people are talking about how it could only possibly come down to Storm vs Roosters in the GF. I think that those two are definitely the favourites to make the GF but it's definitely not as cut and dried as many are making it out to be.
Haha this forum really struggles to understand the concept of power rankings, doesn't it??

We were third last week after the loss to the eels because both the rabbitohs lost to the tigers and the sharks lost to the dogs, both awful losses which prevented them from jumping us in the rankings, and both losses arguably worse than ours. Fast forward a week, and us and souths have both had the bye with the sharks losing again to the broncos. There's nobody to jump us, it makes perfect sense for us to still be third.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Dusty wrote: July 11, 2019, 3:37 pm I can’t wait for the run home. Hoping it can be successful

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Buses on strike and the new rail **** itself?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs Jack Wighton to become a Kangaroo

Having been part of the Blues' first back-to-back Origin series win since 2005, Ricky Stuart says playing for Australia is Jack Wighton's next step.

"I think that'll be his next goal. I think it's very achievable," he said. "I'm always singing his praises and I only do it for one reason - because I know how good he is.

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote: July 11, 2019, 5:17 pm Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs Jack Wighton to become a Kangaroo

Having been part of the Blues' first back-to-back Origin series win since 2005, Ricky Stuart says playing for Australia is Jack Wighton's next step.

"I think that'll be his next goal. I think it's very achievable," he said. "I'm always singing his praises and I only do it for one reason - because I know how good he is.

Bit early to be worrying about it, isn't it? There's the end of the season and a finals campaign before the Kangaroos get selected.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

The Rickman wrote: July 11, 2019, 5:05 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: July 11, 2019, 5:00 pm

Haha this forum really struggles to understand the concept of power rankings, doesn't it??

We were third last week after the loss to the eels because both the rabbitohs lost to the tigers and the sharks lost to the dogs, both awful losses which prevented them from jumping us in the rankings, and both losses arguably worse than ours. Fast forward a week, and us and souths have both had the bye with the sharks losing again to the broncos. There's nobody to jump us, it makes perfect sense for us to still be third.
Lol I understand power rankings perfectly fine... just surprised that he rates us after hearing other pundits putting sides like Bunnies/Knights/Manly and even the Sharks ahead of us as genuine shots this year. Though I think most people with a reasonable view would have us at either third or fourth in their power rankings.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha sorry Pat, didn't mean to seem to be singling you out here, it just seems every week someone on here is bagging his power rankings, and they seem to have been spot on all year AFAIC.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

The Rickman wrote: July 11, 2019, 5:31 pm Haha sorry Pat, didn't mean to seem to be singling you out here, it just seems every week someone on here is bagging his power rankings, and they seem to have been spot on all year AFAIC.
I wouldn't know, I haven't been following them... though it's refreshing to hear people showing our team the respect they deserve.

I should clear up that I wasn't bagging his ranking but taking aim at some other opinions I've heard from commentators over the past few weeks (i.e. that no teams outside of Storm and Roosters are a genuine threat and that Bunnies or Manly or Knights or Sharks or any team in the top 8 that's not us is the only team that could be a surprise packet)
greeneyed
Don Furner

2019 Rd 17 V Dragons: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

We’re running fourth, had a big loss to the Eels in a game they #hould have won. A third placed power ranking doesn’t make any sense. Someone needs to develop a transparent algorithm that would generate more accurate rankings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jack Wighton's success sums up new Canberra Raiders: Ricky Stuart

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart said the performances of Jack Wighton as part of the winning New South Wales side this year were a testament to the person he has become off the field.

"I think it helps us as a team, to be successful in winning competitions I believe you have to have the experience in big games, representative players," he said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/11/wig ... rs-stuart/

VIDEO: Ricky Stuart previews the clash with the Dragons: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/07 ... will-play/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders have found a new raiding ground

A Queenslander, a Kiwi and a Pom walk into a bar. In Canberra. There's a fair chance they all played for the Raiders.

This week the Raiders have finally announced the impending arrival of their fifth Englishman, George Williams. Could this be the new fishing ground the Raiders needed to return themselves to the top of the heap?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart looking forward to getting his Origin stars back for Sunday's clash with the St George Illawarra Dragons. Hear more from Ricky and Jack Wighton: http://ow.ly/rMEE50uYnAF

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

Video: Ricky Stuart press conference: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/07 ... will-play/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote: July 11, 2019, 5:23 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 11, 2019, 5:17 pm Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backs Jack Wighton to become a Kangaroo

Bit early to be worrying about it, isn't it? There's the end of the season and a finals campaign before the Kangaroos get selected.
Yes, I think that's right.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I dislike Soward as much as any but he's got a serious footy brain
Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: July 11, 2019, 6:08 pm We’re running fourth, had a big loss to the Eels in a game they #hould have won. A third placed power ranking doesn’t make any sense. Someone needs to develop a transparent algorithm that would generate more accurate rankings.

Like a system that awards teams 2 points for a win, 0 points for a loss, and accumulates those points on a round by round basis?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coastalraider wrote: July 11, 2019, 9:14 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 11, 2019, 6:08 pm We’re running fourth, had a big loss to the Eels in a game they #hould have won. A third placed power ranking doesn’t make any sense. Someone needs to develop a transparent algorithm that would generate more accurate rankings.

Like a system that awards teams 2 points for a win, 0 points for a loss, and accumulates those points on a round by round basis?
That could work.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

greeneyed wrote: July 11, 2019, 9:19 pm

That could work.
Souths have lost a few in a row.
Sharks got rolled.
Newcastle got rolled by the baby Broncos.
We have not been great but they have been bad too, so they dont jump us on the power rankings.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

AUDIO: You need rep players in your squad if you're going to make finals: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart is looking forward to having his star Origin players back for the clash with the Dragons.

Audio: https://www.sportsradio.com.au/how-do-t ... lty-count/
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

LastRaider wrote: July 10, 2019, 2:50 pm With the news of Williams signing yesterday, I bet Sezer has an absolute blinder this week which will only demonstrate the player he has been for us over the past 3 years. Hot and cold player who has potential just can’t do it week in week out
Agree and same can be said about Austin and Williams.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

woppadingo wrote:
greeneyed wrote: July 11, 2019, 9:19 pm

That could work.
Souths have lost a few in a row.
Sharks got rolled.
Newcastle got rolled by the baby Broncos.
We have not been great but they have been bad too, so they dont jump us on the power rankings.
Don’t bother trying to explain power rankings to him, he’s being deliberately obtuse. Too busy yelling at clouds
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The bullfrogs bought us a bit of breathing space by rolling the knights. Be nice to see souffs roll manly to let us open a bit of a gap to 5th.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Billy Walker wrote: July 12, 2019, 10:56 pm The bullfrogs bought us a bit of breathing space by rolling the knights. Be nice to see souffs roll manly to let us open a bit of a gap to 5th.
Think I'd prefer to see them lose and us win by enough for us to jump them on the ladder tbh
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 13, 2019, 9:15 am
Billy Walker wrote: July 12, 2019, 10:56 pm The bullfrogs bought us a bit of breathing space by rolling the knights. Be nice to see souffs roll manly to let us open a bit of a gap to 5th.
Think I'd prefer to see them lose and us win by enough for us to jump them on the ladder tbh
Yeah let’s do that instead- you’re right much better option!

We just need to keep winning and let all the other results fall how they fall.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart interview on ABC Canberra Grandstand:

Raiders have just finished captains' run. The last couple of sessions have been very high energy, Jack Wighton and Josh Papalii have trained well. We've reviewed the Eels game, the best part of it was it was very noticable that they took a lot of ownership of it. They knew they had stuffed up, I appreciate that, I talk about maturity and that's what I mean. They take accountability.

We've set standards this year and we didn't get to those standards after the first 20 minutes against the Eels. Good to see the team took accountability.

Did you want to get them straight back onto the training park? Fifteen years ago, I'd have got them straight back on the training field, but the group felt they needed the break, it is about how they're feeling physically and mentally. I didn't feel any temptation, they had to get the rest they required and that was good.

I've had to deal with rep players returning to club football a lot. I'll be giving them some down time and time off training next week. The biggest issue is how they are feeling in three or four weeks. I was proud of the what both players did. If Queensland had won the series, Josh Papalii probably would have been man of the series. Great experience for Jack Wighton.

Nick Cotric returns. Good to get the injured players back. Continuity and cohesion is what you strive for. The injuries have disrupted that. The players who have come in have done a great job and put us in great position.

The Dragons have a big pack of forwards and experienced halves. That's what you build a football team around. They have some fresh backs. We'll need to be on our game, especially in Wollongong.

George Williams and Corey Horsburgh signings. Good to get Corey's extension, George will bring his experience to the team and it is good to have it finally settled and announced.

Jordan Rapana's re-signing. We're doing what we have to, doing as much as we can. He understands where we're at. I want Jordan at the club more than anybody else and I'm confident that will happen.

The Raiders travel to Wollongong this afternoon by bus.

* This summary is written as the interview happens. It is a summary, based on what is said, but it is not a transcript.

A podcast of today's episode of ABC Canberra Grandstand will be available this afternoon: https://www.abc.net.au/radio/canberra/p ... d/11285826
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Thanks for the summary GE. We can only hope that those who went to Bali have not left their minds there.

Good to have Nic back in the side. I like Seb Kris but I think Nic is more likely to beat his man one on one.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How Canberra Raiders forward Josh Papalii restored pride after taking Perth personally

Canberra and Queensland prop Josh Papalii openly admitted he took the Maroons' savage 36-8 loss in Origin II in Perth personally.

"I had to. We were pretty poor in Perth," the veteran of 15 Origin games said after his side restored respect in the much closer 26-20 loss in game three in Sydney.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/13/how ... ersonally/