2019 State of Origin III: New South Wales V Queensland: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Blues 13+
No votes
Blues 1-12
57%
Maroons 1-12
29%
Maroons 13+
14%

Total votes: 7

Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Re: 2019 State of Origin III: New South Wales V Queensland: Teams and Game Day

Post by Begbie »

Billy Walker wrote: July 10, 2019, 10:16 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: July 10, 2019, 10:14 pm And just like that, Mitchell Pearce wins an Origin series.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
On the bright side DCE didn’t win, although he may have secured a third party deal with Kleenex the way he was carrying on post game!
It really does warm the cockles of the heart to see.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Begbie wrote: July 10, 2019, 10:20 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: July 10, 2019, 10:14 pm And just like that, Mitchell Pearce wins an Origin series.

On the bright side DCE didn’t win, although he may have secured a third party deal with Kleenex the way he was carrying on post game!
He’ll be waking in the darkest hour before dawn and wondering if he should have taken the field goal attempt on the previous six
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Billy Walker wrote: July 10, 2019, 10:24 pm
Begbie wrote: July 10, 2019, 10:20 pm

He’ll be waking in the darkest hour before dawn and wondering if he should have taken the field goal attempt on the previous six
They can thank Mbye for that. Trying to milk a penalty while NSW are on the back foot and in turn taking 10 seconds to play the ball instead of a quick one then back for the field goal. DCE had no chance after that.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I think the difference between Cook and Hunt was quite telling
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

At last NSW win a tight game in the final minute. You bluety, back to back series wins. Well done to Freddy and his players. No coach whisper needed. I wonder if QLD will go back to Bennett next year. Nah, pick and stick.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

NRL.com player ratings

10. Josh Papalii: Sensational first stint from the Raiders hardman as he matched motors with Klemmer and co and then struck fear into the Blues' hearts with a try in the 77th minute. 8

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/10/que ... r-ratings/

4. Jack Wighton: Willing all night in both attack and defence, running the ball hard and pulling off a string of important tackles. 7

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/10/nsw ... r-ratings/
The Greenhouse score update service
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Jack Wighton had a cracker of a game, and a great series overall.

Papalii was Queensland’s best forward

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Dr Zaius wrote:I was almost certain Billy Slater would win the Wally Lewis Medal

Cameron Munster was more deserving this year than Slater was last year. Thankfully common sense prevailed and teddy won the award that he probably should of won last year

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Great to see Chambers in the huddle celebrating with the NSW players after the last try.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

What a finish! It’s great to see the tide turn the Blues way in the final seconds for a change. Should be up there with the greatest of origin finishes.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Great game. I wanted to see a proper extra time and not that golden point crap. At least it was decided by a try at the finish.

NSW were massive favourites and most tipping a big win. They ended up needing a last minute try to get home. Goes to show you can't take anything for granted at Origin level.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: July 10, 2019, 10:51 pm Great to see Chambers in the huddle celebrating with the NSW players after the last try.

I'd be EDIT.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

The Greenhouse score update service
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

What an absolutely FANTASTIC game that was! Well done to New South Wales, superb win in an amazing game.

I thoroughly enjoyed that, bring on 2020
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Watching in New York via a mobile hotspot SIM linked to a laptop, linked to a big screen TV... got all the way to the 79th minute before the hotspot died. Watched the final golorious minute on a mobile and what a great way to finish with a long ball from Pearce leading to a Teddy try.

Ballsy play from Pearce given he had a pretty quiet game and was really playing it safe all night.

Did NSW get any repeat sets? You rarely win an Origin game with pretty much zero repeats.

QLD played as well as anyone could’ve hoped given the team they fielded. They had a very good crack. Deserve a fair wrap. Munster’s brilliant.

Wighton a real pleasure to watch.

Ado Carr and Ferguson were epic.

Finucane is a machine.

Tedesco thoroughly deserving of MOTS.

2 in a row!!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

In regards to repeat sets. I think there was 1 drop out in the entire game. Neither team really played for them.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Northern Raider wrote:In regards to repeat sets. I think there was 1 drop out in the entire game. Neither team really played for them.
Should’ve been 1 more but for a ridiculous refereeing call

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Thankfully the refs put the whistle away in the second half and it ended up being a great half of footy. Somebody has to have said something to them at halftime.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: July 11, 2019, 8:01 am Thankfully the refs put the whistle away in the second half and it ended up being a great half of footy. Somebody has to have said something to them at halftime.

..or maybe both teams stopped pushing the limits.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote:Thankfully the refs put the whistle away in the second half and it ended up being a great half of footy. Somebody has to have said something to them at halftime.

Agreed. There was so many just unnecessary ruck penalties in that first half, the second half just flowed so much better
Swiller
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Josh Papali

Post by Swiller »

What was the NRLs plan here. Get the refs to blow the pea out of this whistle in the first half which was a complete waste of 40min. That first 40 jeez, i nearly changed the channel ****. Nobody can tell me that it was not some directive from above to do that. Everytime they pull this **** people will turn off its that simple. DO they sit down and go well NSW have a dynamic team so if we let to much fatigue into QLD then NSW will more then likely wip them and we cant have a blow out score. I know lets take the fatigue out of it in the first 40 and we will let them go at it in the second 40 that way NSW advantage in broken play will be nullified and Qld can match them. Match Fixng NRL we have to put up with this **** every club match, when will these EDIT realise that spectators just want to watch footy because they love it.
NRL Game Plan
Game 1. Let it flow in the first 40 to get Nsw looking the goods. Second 40 allow Qld spoiling tactics and reduce their 10 to get them up.. Sweet
Game 2. Stay out of it and let Nsw play them out of the game. Not much to be done here.
Game 3. Hammer the penalties in the first 40 because we know Nsw will win easily like game 2.Then let it flow for the last 40 which makes the contest super even.
At the end of the day over 3 games 240min of football. We have witnessed only 40min of non biased footy.
WHAT A JOKE..
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Totally bizarre refereeing in the first half. There is absolutely no way that the enormity of the penalty count differences from first half to second half, was reflective of the change in discipline of the players.

There really wasn’t much need for a crackdown of that proportion, it came out of no where. Something you’d have expected to see last year, not this year.

Is Will Chambers done at rep level? Again totally outclassed, missed 7 tackles and adopted his famous defensive tactic of putting the car into reverse and getting burned for it.

Wighton could well be in line for a kangaroos jersey. He looks right at home in the centres.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Swiller wrote: July 11, 2019, 8:17 am What was the NRLs plan here. Get the refs to blow the pea out of this whistle in the first half which was a complete waste of 40min. That first 40 jeez, i nearly changed the channel ****. Nobody can tell me that it was not some directive from above to do that. Everytime they pull this **** people will turn off its that simple. DO they sit down and go well NSW have a dynamic team so if we let to much fatigue into QLD then NSW will more then likely wip them and we cant have a blow out score. I know lets take the fatigue out of it in the first 40 and we will let them go at it in the second 40 that way NSW advantage in broken play will be nullified and Qld can match them. Match Fixng NRL we have to put up with this **** every club match, when will these EDIT realise that spectators just want to watch footy because they love it.
NRL Game Plan
Game 1. Let it flow in the first 40 to get Nsw looking the goods. Second 40 allow Qld spoiling tactics and reduce their 10 to get them up.. Sweet
Game 2. Stay out of it and let Nsw play them out of the game. Not much to be done here.
Game 3. Hammer the penalties in the first 40 because we know Nsw will win easily like game 2.Then let it flow for the last 40 which makes the contest super even.
At the end of the day over 3 games 240min of football. We have witnessed only 40min of non biased footy.
WHAT A JOKE..
OK, so it was a conspriracy to make QLD competitive. Righto. :lol:

There's has to be an investigation!!!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I guess that was a good example of how widely the refereeing of the game can be interpreted. The referees were probably not generally wrong with their calls in that first half, players try to get away with a lot, but it certainly wasn't consistent with how they were interpreting the other 5 halves of the series.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
the bone
John Ferguson

2019 State of Origin III: New South Wales V Queensland: Teams and Game Day

Post by the bone »

Northern Raider wrote:
gergreg wrote: July 11, 2019, 8:01 am Thankfully the refs put the whistle away in the second half and it ended up being a great half of footy. Somebody has to have said something to them at halftime.

Nothing changed from the players IMO, the refs put their whistles away. The first half refereeing seemed strangely tit-for-tat in terms of the penalties... my take was ol’ mate Gerard tried to stamp his authority with some really weak penalties early in the game.. he’d give the blues a cheap one, and then something similar to the maroons (or the maroons first then the blues). This, along with some penalties that were obvious/had no choice, added up and created a stop-start kind of game. Then as per most origins, the whistle went away.

It’s a hard one because in prior years the refs were far too lax... the line speed was outright Bull for a few series which led to some suffocating, grinding games. So I do support refs blowing the whistle, particularly for 10 metre infringements, but some of those penalties last night were especially weak, even by the standards of a regular NRL game.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Biggest shock for me was Ethan Lowe. Pre-game I was he's only borderline NRL standard and didn't have the high enough ceiling to step up to Origin level. Rated him a poor man's Aiden Guerra. Proved me wrong big time. One of the best forwards on the field.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sid wrote: July 11, 2019, 8:30 am I guess that was a good example of how widely the refereeing of the game can be interpreted. The referees were probably not generally wrong with their calls in that first half, players try to get away with a lot, but it certainly wasn't consistent with how they were interpreting the other 5 halves of the series.
Fair call. What we did see though was penalties for inside the 10m (2 a piece I think). Teams getting up offisde is one aspect that can close the game down. If this led to the refs keeping a better 10m in the 2nd half then that would have also been a constributor to the game opening up.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote:Totally bizarre refereeing in the first half. There is absolutely no way that the enormity of the penalty count differences from first half to second half, was reflective of the change in discipline of the players.

There really wasn’t much need for a crackdown of that proportion, it came out of no where. Something you’d have expected to see last year, not this year.

Is Will Chambers done at rep level? Again totally outclassed, missed 7 tackles and adopted his famous defensive tactic of putting the car into reverse and getting burned for it.

Wighton could well be in line for a kangaroos jersey. He looks right at home in the centres.
Chambers’ biggest crime was just never passing the ball to Gagai. Didn’t even look like he was setting up to do it

You’ve got one of the greatest finishers in Origin history outside of you and you don’t even attempt to use him. Criminal stuff
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:Biggest shock for me was Ethan Lowe. Pre-game I was he's only borderline NRL standard and didn't have the high enough ceiling to step up to Origin level. Rated him a poor man's Aiden Guerra. Proved me wrong big time. One of the best forwards on the field.
You see, I was the opposite. When I heard Gillett was out I was happy Lowe was his replacement.

Mbye at centre surprised me the most. I wasn’t thrilled at his selection, but he had a good game
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

This was one of the first Origin games where I didn’t really notice Gagai. His stats were still impressive though. It’s crazy how well he plays in Origin, particularly relative to his NRL form

the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

yeh raiders wrote:Totally bizarre refereeing in the first half. There is absolutely no way that the enormity of the penalty count differences from first half to second half, was reflective of the change in discipline of the players.

Chambers has been toast at Origin level for at least a couple of years now, but Qld don’t have anyone to replace him with. The fact that Moses Mbye was their other centre says it all...

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

If you picked the Kangaroos today who are your centres?
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

the bone wrote: July 11, 2019, 8:33 am
Northern Raider wrote:

Nothing changed from the players IMO, the refs put their whistles away. The first half refereeing seemed strangely tit-for-tat in terms of the penalties... my take was ol’ mate Gerard tried to stamp his authority with some really weak penalties early in the game.. he’d give the blues a cheap one, and then something similar to the maroons (or the maroons first then the blues). This, along with some penalties that were obvious/had no choice, added up and created a stop-start kind of game. Then as per most origins, the whistle went away.

It’s a hard one because in prior years the refs were far too lax... the line speed was outright Bull for a few series which led to some suffocating, grinding games. So I do support refs blowing the whistle, particularly for 10 metre infringements, but some of those penalties last night were especially weak, even by the standards of a regular NRL game.

could be wrong, it was a long time ago and I was young.. but from memory the first time in particular the whistle was put away in Origin was around bill harrigan days? Players wouldn't have been expecting it as much so it was probably a reasonably clean free flowing game and the referees were applauded. The more the whistle has been put away for origin and finals, the more players have expected it and teams have worked out how to exploit it

the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

So who’s Origin careers are over (or on life support)?
Crighton
Walker?
Morris
Wallace
Glasby
Chambers
Mbye

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Billy Walker wrote: July 11, 2019, 8:54 am If you picked the Kangaroos today who are your centres?
mine would be Tom T. and Wighton, however I could see Mal going with Tom T. and Mitchell and he wouldn't be wrong