Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Coastalraider »

Oofff - thats a good run Doc.

I got some sections up to 48% - absolute nuts - but I know that area, those climbs around there are brutal.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

How do you do that, Zaius?? Like a relay?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

No mate
It's a 4 person team. We run together the entire distance. Can finish with 3.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

So you ran 47 kms in 8 hours?? Get **** you **** ****, that's amazing.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Thank you. I think.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Big couple of days for me. After doing my usual Parkrun on Saturday morning (about thirty to forty seconds slower than my PB of 27.05), I backed up on Sunday morning to do the 5km Rocky River Run to set my 5km PB on any course at 26:22! It's a much easier course than Rocky Parkrun though, so it may be a long time before I'm beating that one.

Then this morning when I was running I originally set out to do 8km, but ended up doing 10km instead! My first time ever running over 8km, and I always wanted to stay within an hour when I eventually worked up to 10km. Did it in 59:02, so I'm pretty chuffed for a first attempt. In all honesty the first 3km were the hardest, the rest of the run went pretty smoothly.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Well done mate

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

That’s awesome!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Health and fitness

Post by The Nickman »

Cheers boys. Going to have another crack tomorrow morning hopefully.

The good thing about the current route I’m running is I run home in the morning after nights I stay at my fiancé’s place, and the route I take is about 5.5km. But, if I decide to run my 8km route I can make that decision at the 4km mark and just take a different bridge home. And now I’ve figured out my 10km route, I can make that call just before the 5km mark
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

You'll be banging out half and full marathons before you know it.

It's a great feeling just being able to run, and run as far or long as you want.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: July 4, 2019, 7:25 am You'll be banging out half and full marathons before you know it.

It's a great feeling just being able to run, and run as far or long as you want.

Yeah, it really is amazing. I've never been a runner before, but to be able to just go and keep going is a really weird feeling. And it's honestly the 2nd and 3rd kilometres that I always feel the worst.

Saying all this though, today I was planning to do 10km but instead I only did 5km. And it was a SLOW 5km, in exactly 30min. Don't know that I've done one that slow in about four months or so.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Dr Zaius wrote:Smashed out this little beauty with my team today ImageImage
Lol ****, Doc. You kept that one quiet. That's massive. That elevation is insane. That has to be by far your biggest run, right? Nice one

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

The Rickman wrote:
gergreg wrote: July 4, 2019, 7:25 am You'll be banging out half and full marathons before you know it.

Yeah, it really is amazing. I've never been a runner before, but to be able to just go and keep going is a really weird feeling. And it's honestly the 2nd and 3rd kilometres that I always feel the worst.

Saying all this though, today I was planning to do 10km but instead I only did 5km. And it was a SLOW 5km, in exactly 30min. Don't know that I've done one that slow in about four months or so.
Good on you man. You've broken through to the other side and I completely get how you feel.

The slow 5km isn't surprising. While that 10km felt mostly good, I've found when I up a distance that first run is often the fastest for a while. Then because of the run, the body is in new territory for recovery and the following run especially tends to be sluggish.

The 10km time will inevitably improve, and probably pretty soon as long as you don't become dissuaded from the slower shorter runs.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

EJ wrote: July 5, 2019, 5:37 pm
The Rickman wrote:

Good on you man. You've broken through to the other side and I completely get how you feel.

The slow 5km isn't surprising. While that 10km felt mostly good, I've found when I up a distance that first run is often the fastest for a while. Then because of the run, the body is in new territory for recovery and the following run especially tends to be sluggish.

The 10km time will inevitably improve, and probably pretty soon as long as you don't become dissuaded from the slower shorter runs.

Yeah, and I put it down to the fact I did a 5km parkrun on Saturday, a 5km PB at Rocky River run on Sunday and then my first ever 10km run on Tuesday. It wasn't like I felt bad on Thursday, I just took it real easy and stayed at that pace.

Parkrun tomorrow will be interesting... although it'll probably be pretty wet.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

EJ wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:Smashed out this little beauty with my team today ImageImage
Lol ****, Doc. You kept that one quiet. That's massive. That elevation is insane. That has to be by far your biggest run, right? Nice one

Yeah that's my biggest one to date. But the big one is in two weeks.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Running 47km is absolutely mental. Here I am proud of doing 10km and you’re doing five times that distance!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I walked down to the shops this morning, bought bread rolls and walked back home.

Distance covered..1.8kms

:)
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I wish I could run 5k right now - trashed a metatarsal joint in Tassie a couple of weeks back and haven’t been able to run since.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 5, 2019, 10:50 pmYeah that's my biggest one to date. But the big one is in two weeks.

Ohhhh, are you doing the Guzzler 100?
Coastalraider wrote: July 6, 2019, 8:25 am I wish I could run 5k right now - trashed a metatarsal joint in Tassie a couple of weeks back and haven’t been able to run since.
**** man, what's the recovery timeline? And what is the injury exactly? How did it happen?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Seems like it’s just inflammation of the joint or ligament, hopefully only another week. It’s improving, I can walk without any pain now, and have got rid of padding and strapping, but still feels tender in hard shoes if I get up in the toes.
I think I tweaked it on a trail run - lots of really eleven ground and ran in road shoes. The next day I went for a 5k, and get the pain through that area, but thought it was because it was minus2° and I had numb toes. Got home that night after flying all day and struggled to put weight on it. I can still ride which is great!
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Hmmm ok. Maybe I've been having very similar trouble. I went back up to the mountains for first run a week after the Enduro and it was freezing. Max temp was 8C and it rained on me the whole near 3 hours, just in shorts and singlet. Didn't notice any foot pain whatsoever until I stopped my watch then it really hurt. Walked with a limp for next few days and didn't run for 1.5 weeks. Road run flared it up a bit, then I stayed off it for another week. It pulled up fine after Wednesday's short (but hard) run, so I think I'm good now.

Hopefully same for you!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

YeH I’m lucky I can ride still for sanity’s sake!

It’s a shame, I was just finding some mojo on that trip.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Did the gold coast half this morning, finished in dead on 1hr 27mins, couldn't get over the amount of runners! My first km is usually my quickest but it was about 40 seconds slower than the other 20 trying to get through the crowd, great event though. Looking forward to a few beers now!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

kiwi raider wrote:Did the gold coast half this morning, finished in dead on 1hr 27mins, couldn't get over the amount of runners! My first km is usually my quickest but it was about 40 seconds slower than the other 20 trying to get through the crowd, great event though. Looking forward to a few beers now!
Nice work, kiwi! I know a LOT of people who went in that based on my Facebook feed!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Great time, it looked like pretty rough conditions for the half!

I jogged about 1k yesterday without pain. Just taking it steady.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Coastalraider wrote: July 7, 2019, 1:43 pm Great time, it looked like pretty rough conditions for the half!

I jogged about 1k yesterday without pain. Just taking it steady.
Little bit of rain at times but probably good for me, just enough to cool me down!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Nothing significant but I managed 30 minutes on the cycle trainer this arvo. First aerobic exercise for a month or two. I've put on some weight so time to get off my ****.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: July 7, 2019, 8:26 pm Nothing significant but I managed 30 minutes on the cycle trainer this arvo. First aerobic exercise for a month or two. I've put on some weight so time to get off my ****.

Nice one mate, have you looked into smart trainers and the zwift platform? It was a game changer for me, and can be done on the cheap these days as well.

I had a 5k trot today, taped and padded the crap out of my foot. Still some pain, have a podiatrist appointment tomorrow.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Nice one, Coastal! After running my first 10km last week backing up from Parkrun and Rocky River Run I've really lacked energy the last few runs.

Did two x 5km runs this week at 29 and 28:45 minutes (compared to my PB just a few weeks ago of 26:22), just really not feeling up to it. Gotta drag myself along to Parkrun on Saturday and see if the (half) competitive atmosphere helps me along.

I just never get good times when I run by myself. My probably top ten times are all at events.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

So.... I have intermetitarsil bursitis. That could have been worse.

Turns out I have some arch issues that haven’t really caused too much pain because I ‘usually’ wear decent support shoes. The shoes I wore on a work trip to tassie had no arch support, and beacause I was standing for 12+ hours a day for 3 days, the arch started dropping. I remember having bloody sore front of ankle areas everyday. Backing that up with trail runs every morning/night just trashed the front of one foot, inflaming the bursar. I’m trialling a ‘fake’ orthotic pad to simulate what a real orthotic would do, to see if it reacts the way we think it will. If so, looks like I’m forming out some cash for some custom soles.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

The Rickman wrote: July 11, 2019, 12:29 pm Nice one, Coastal! After running my first 10km last week backing up from Parkrun and Rocky River Run I've really lacked energy the last few runs.

Did two x 5km runs this week at 29 and 28:45 minutes (compared to my PB just a few weeks ago of 26:22), just really not feeling up to it. Gotta drag myself along to Parkrun on Saturday and see if the (half) competitive atmosphere helps me along.

I just never get good times when I run by myself. My probably top ten times are all at events.
yeah I find I run better times at park run than when I run by myself too (not that I do much of that anymore) probably not so much for the first 500m when it's really congested, but I guess it helps when you get a small group around your speed to keep pace with.. that and extra motivation when you're being overtaken by grandpa's and mum's with prams
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: July 11, 2019, 12:29 pm Nice one, Coastal! After running my first 10km last week backing up from Parkrun and Rocky River Run I've really lacked energy the last few runs.

How did you go??

I dropped in and had a relatively pain free run, I can tell it’s been a while between hard runs as I set a whole heap of HR records! Maxed out at 201 in the sprint to the line :nooo
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote:

How did you go??

I dropped in and had a relatively pain free run, I can tell it’s been a while between hard runs as I set a whole heap of HR records! Maxed out at 201 in the sprint to the line :nooo
I didn’t go, I had dinner with my parents last night and we partook in a bit too much vino and it was a late night, so I slept in :(

I’m off to Canberra next weekend too, so it’ll be three weeks in a row without a Parkrun. Hope I don’t lose too much
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: July 13, 2019, 4:13 pm
Coastalraider wrote:

How did you go??

I didn’t go, I had dinner with my parents last night and we partook in a bit too much vino and it was a late night, so I slept in :(

I’m off to Canberra next weekend too, so it’ll be three weeks in a row without a Parkrun. Hope I don’t lose too much
The beauty of parkrun is they have them everywhere - I have run Gungahlin before when visiting family. It’s surprising how fats you run in yen cold! My 5k Pb was there in -5°.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Are you calling nickman fat?