The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by -TW- »

Wouldn't be surprised if Carey pushes Paine out of the test side in the next 6 months

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Not sure if this has already been discussed, but anyone else think it’s a little silly to have a 50 game month long tournament and yet have semis and final settled by a single game. Why not do best of three for the finals?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

-TW- wrote: July 7, 2019, 11:18 am Wouldn't be surprised if Carey pushes Paine out of the test side in the next 6 months

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk
Who captains the side then?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Carey has surprised me no end. It’s sort of come from nowhere this form too.

He averages under 30 in first class cricket with half of his games at the Adelaide oval though. Picking players based on white ball performance in test cricket rarely works though. Nathan Lyon is the most genuine exception I guess. But they picked him on his action, not his stats imo. And Warner isn’t an exception either he had runs on the board in FC stuff before his test debut.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Azza wrote: July 7, 2019, 5:58 am Carey is a ripper. Stoinis and Maxwell are a waste of space
Maxwell definitely isn’t a waste of space. He’s the most dangerous creaming the cake batsman in the world imo. Perfect floating number 6 as long as everyone else is good. He becomes problematic when you carry Stoinis though.

Jesus Christ Stoinis so quickly became the most over rated player in Australia. Hits a long ball, slicks back his hair and is supposedly an ‘all rounder’. He’s a batsman who bowls a bit. And not a a top 6 international standard batsman either. He could play as a #7 if your keeper bats top order I guess but even then he invariably starts slow as well.

**** we miss Shane Watson. People don’t know what they’ve got til it’s gone and in Watson it was arguably our greatest 50 over player ever.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

gangrenous wrote: July 7, 2019, 11:29 am Not sure if this has already been discussed, but anyone else think it’s a little silly to have a 50 game month long tournament and yet have semis and final settled by a single game. Why not do best of three for the finals?
Because international sport, especially cricket, is all about that one key match/moment. All of those special World Cup moments of the past wouldn’t be so special if not in an actual final.

Finals should always be cut throat imo. ‘Series’ are a horrible Americanism that I can’t see ever sticking in any of Australia’s primary sports.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

julian87 wrote: July 7, 2019, 12:26 pm
Azza wrote: July 7, 2019, 5:58 am Carey is a ripper. Stoinis and Maxwell are a waste of space
Maxwell definitely isn’t a waste of space. He’s the most dangerous creaming the cake batsman in the world imo. Perfect floating number 6 as long as everyone else is good. He becomes problematic when you carry Stoinis though.

Jesus Christ Stoinis so quickly became the most over rated player in Australia. Hits a long ball, slicks back his hair and is supposedly an ‘all rounder’. He’s a batsman who bowls a bit. And not a a top 6 international standard batsman either. He could play as a #7 if your keeper bats top order I guess but even then he invariably starts slow as well.

**** we miss Shane Watson. People don’t know what they’ve got til it’s gone and in Watson it was arguably our greatest 50 over player ever.
Maxwell is not performing in this tournament, and it's driving me nuts. Still, I'd prefer him to Stoinis, the way he blocks the ball with such a lack of intent to score runs is infuriating.

I'm not going to bother dignifying your comments about Shane Watson with a response :lol:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

If Stoinis infuriates you, surely you miss Watson, the goat.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The only category Watson can lay legitimate goat claims on is wasting DRS reviews.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I dunno, getting out in the 90s seemed to be one of his strong suits as well
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Shane Watson is not our countries best 50 over cricketer ever..no way..I won't have it !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The Rickman wrote: July 7, 2019, 1:13 pm I dunno, getting out in the 90s seemed to be one of his strong suits as well
What about getting out lbw?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

The Cricket Thread

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote:
The Rickman wrote: July 7, 2019, 1:13 pm I dunno, getting out in the 90s seemed to be one of his strong suits as well
What about getting out lbw?
Haha getting out plumb lbw in his 90s and wasting a DRS decision on the way off is pure Watto
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Plum...

Review..

You're an idiot Watto !!
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

One of my favorite things is cricket fans not differentiating the different formats of the game.

Watson was a much maligned player because he never kicked on and became world class in test cricket. But he did in one dayers. By far our greatest all rounder in that format and as I said arguably the best outright.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I haven't heard anyone other than you argue he's our best one day cricketer ever. There might be a small pocket out there but it's certainly not substantial
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Our greatest all rounder in the short format? Was he better than Mark Waugh? I mean, it’s debatable, no chance it’s a lay down misere
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Yes. He was a better all rounder than Mark Waugh who is my fav of all time.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Steve was the all rounder too btw and Watson has him covered as an odi player too
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah, right. 🙄

Anyway back to Thursday. looks like Smith will move up to number 3 and handscombe, in at number four, quite possibly Marsh in as well. not ideal to have so many changes before a semi-final but some of those guys weren't contributing anyway.

Noting that England have won their last 10 at Edgbaston, suddenly seems like we are up against it.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

In other news, Burns 88* and Harris 100* have plied on the runs vs Sussex, after Pattinson to 3 for, and looked back to his best.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: July 9, 2019, 8:20 am In other news, Burns 88* and Harris 100* have plied on the runs vs Sussex, after Pattinson to 3 for, and looked back to his best.
Interesting as you assume one of those guys will make way for Warner. Logic dictates its Harris who has failed to make to most of his opportunities in tests to date. Burn on the other hand has a test average over 40 and is coming of 180 vs Sri Lanka. Of course logic does not often apply to Australian selectors.

Who Smith replaces is a bit up in the air with Khawaja's injury. That could see Labuschagne keep his spot temporarily. It would then come back to who has the form to keep their spot when Usi is fit again.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: July 9, 2019, 9:50 am
Matt wrote: July 9, 2019, 8:20 am In other news, Burns 88* and Harris 100* have plied on the runs vs Sussex, after Pattinson to 3 for, and looked back to his best.
Interesting as you assume one of those guys will make way for Warner. Logic dictates its Harris who has failed to make to most of his opportunities in tests to date. Burn on the other hand has a test average over 40 and is coming of 180 vs Sri Lanka. Of course logic does not often apply to Australian selectors.

Who Smith replaces is a bit up in the air with Khawaja's injury. That could see Labuschagne keep his spot temporarily. It would then come back to who has the form to keep their spot when Usi is fit again.
It's gonna be a tough call coz everyone in the running is making runs
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

A couple of injuries for the WC... I’d go

Warner
Finch
Smith
Wade
Maxwell
Carey
Marsh M
Cummins
Starc
Berendorff
Lyon

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Kiwis will be lucky to get 200 the way they're going. Somebody has to have a crack and take the bowlers on.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

This is ridiculous. They need to send a message out and tell them it's a 50 over game and not a test match.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Apparently they are going to resume the cricket? I would have thought they would have to fully replay the game. Could be different conditions. Seemed tough to bat yesterday, what happens if there isn't a cloud in the sky today and batting conditions are much better than yesterday?

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yeah, resuming seems an odd call
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Probably true, but I guess the Indian team would not be happy if NZ suddenly got 320 today after putting in a pretty average batting performance yesterday - honestly have no idea W T F they were doing
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

It's just not cricket.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Azza wrote:Probably true, but I guess the Indian team would not be happy if NZ suddenly got 320 today after putting in a pretty average batting performance yesterday - honestly have no idea W T F they were doing
Conversely if batting is more difficult tonight and India get bundled for 150 (unlikely but not impossible) you just know the BCCI will throw a massive tantrum and they'll be burning effigies in Delhi - probably Warner effigies because there is probably a surplus.

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

gergreg wrote: July 9, 2019, 9:22 pm This is ridiculous. They need to send a message out and tell them it's a 50 over game and not a test match.

was this message to the kiwi's for batting slow or the officials for making the one day'er go over several days?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Rumour has it Maxwell might get cut and Wade will play... Don't necessarily disagree with the move based on form but stoinis :thumbsdown
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

India 6/3!!!
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Kiwis clawed their way to 239, India 3/10 (off 6) rain forecast, ol duxworth may have a say in this

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse