A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: Could 'super stadium' be on cards for Canberra?

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

That players walk through the members / VIP area as they enter the Bankwest Stadium is pretty cool. Nice touch....unless you’re going back on for the second half down by 40.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Chicka Chicka Chicka wrote: April 2, 2019, 7:46 pm That players walk through the members / VIP area as they enter the Bankwest Stadium is pretty cool. Nice touch....unless you’re going back on for the second half down by 40.
And I wonder who will be the family it’s the coach to forget about the one way glass to the members room and give their team an almighty spray!
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I can't wait for the new Parra stadium to open. I only live 25 mins away. Have tickets to the Parra/Tigers christening and also our game against the Tigers :thumbsup
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Re: Grounds for concern: Could 'super stadium' be on cards for Canberra?

Post by raiderskater »

gergreg wrote: December 22, 2018, 12:21 pm I don't think there's any money for a new stadium. Too focused on a multi level ice skating rink. The 500 people that attend ice hockey games are screaming out for a new facility.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Late response, I know, but:

Nobody in the ice sports community actually wants a multi-level skating rink. We want a single-level rink with two ice surfaces, since Phillip is derelict and badly needs replacing. We have national champions in both ice hockey and figure skating and there is simply not enough room for both sports on the existing single-surface facility (let alone including broomball). Trying to squeeze both hockey and figure skating events in is a logistical nightmare that involves significant negotiation between the sports and both of them suffering for it.

The inclusion of the multi-level facility in the paper thingo was nothing short of an attempt to give the government an excuse not to build or fund. There are very few multi-level facilities even in big skating countries like the US, Canada and Russia. They're not very practical. (Though there is a cool one in Finland where the main arena is on top...and the practice rink below...in a natural cave.)

Even the price tags in the paper seemed inflated and unrealistic.

Phillip is dangerous and needs replacing. Badly. It wouldn't be so hard. They could even buy an existing building and go from there to save costs - the abandoned Home Hardware in Gungahlin would be about the right size for a two-surface facility.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

EJ wrote: April 2, 2019, 10:03 pm I can't wait for the new Parra stadium to open. I only live 25 mins away. Have tickets to the Parra/Tigers christening and also our game against the Tigers :thumbsup
what did you pay for tickets and where about's? i looked and the tickets were super expensive, if canberra get's a new stadium i hope they don't out price people to be able to go to the footy.

gold at canberra is $45 and at new parra stadium they were $71.50, like ya taking the piss surely.
raider 4 life
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

nemesis wrote:
EJ wrote: April 2, 2019, 10:03 pm I can't wait for the new Parra stadium to open. I only live 25 mins away. Have tickets to the Parra/Tigers christening and also our game against the Tigers :thumbsup
what did you pay for tickets and where about's? i looked and the tickets were super expensive, if canberra get's a new stadium i hope they don't out price people to be able to go to the footy.

gold at canberra is $45 and at new parra stadium they were $71.50, like ya taking the piss surely.
****,sorry mate! They were like $35 each. Level 2, behind the posts.

Pretty reasonable I reckon. Includes free public transport. Also food and drinks will be cheaper than other stadiums.

I really think they're doing this right. Hope we get lots of Raiders fans making the trip for the Tigers game.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

$16 gen admission upper level behind the posts for us. Cannot wait. Looks sensational
Dont delete this GE
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

EJ wrote: April 19, 2019, 12:44 pm
nemesis wrote:

****,sorry mate! They were like $35 each. Level 2, behind the posts.

Pretty reasonable I reckon. Includes free public transport. Also food and drinks will be cheaper than other stadiums.

I really think they're doing this right. Hope we get lots of Raiders fans making the trip for the Tigers game.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I'm coming up, Raiders on Friday night and skating officiating the rest of the weekend.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Calls to get Civic Stadium back on track

Post by greeneyed »

Calls to get Civic Stadium back on track

Canberra might have grown up, but it risks falling behind the rest of Australia without a new Civic Stadium. The stunning opening of the rebuilt Parramatta Stadium on Monday highlighted the boost a new facility can create.

"You saw the other night how fantastic it is with the new stadium," Don Furner said. "I'd love to see the same thing happen to the centre of Canberra. I know the ACT government would like to see that too.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ACT Government to enhance Canberra Stadium with second replay board

The ACT government is installing a second replay board at Canberra Stadium which will be appropriately sized and equipped with the latest technology.

"Obviously the long term vision is a new stadium, but its great to see investment in the current venue, a Raiders spokesman said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... nd-screen/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Far roo little, far too late.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

They’re just going to keep re-applying lipstick to the pig.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

I don't know how often this still happens, but they used to lease the big screen to sports grounds outside of Canberra. They've now either doubled the earning potential or replaced an ageing screen that can't be transported anymore.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The one at Canberra Stadium is fixed, Manuka they remove so maybe it's that one?

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

It wasn't always. TBH, I'd forgotten all about Manuka since I'm not an Aussie Rules fan.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders want five-year deal into new Civic Stadium

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders want five-year Canberra Stadium deal leading into new stadium in Civic

The Canberra Raiders want a new five-year stadium deal in the hope it will finish with a new Civic Stadium.

"We're talking to the government now about a five-year extension which we're working through," Furner said. "Ideally we would love to see a new stadium by the end of that five years so we don't want to go past that."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

What??? Raidersfan promised it would be built by now and dissed anyone who suggested it wouldn’t.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Prior to posting that... I searched Google for "A new Canberra Stadium"... and came up with these threads on the site...

2010: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17098

2012: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... 9&start=35

2013: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=25731

2015: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=29955

2017: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32254

2018: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=33092

That was just the top half a dozen! At one stage, we were certainly promised a new stadium by 2020.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The funniest one was a number of people on GH who said the Light Rail build would impact the stadium build, but were howled down by Andrew Barr supporters.

Then within a year Sports Minister Berry came out and said the Light Rail build had impacted on the promise to build a new stadium.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

How about a our own reserve grade team first!!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ronny P wrote: September 4, 2019, 9:36 pm How about a our own reserve grade team first!!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
That is something the Raiders can fix on their own. Indeed, if they expect the ACT to fund a brand new stadium, they should commit all their teams to Canberra.
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

After being to the parra bankwest stadium 3 times. You would want to replicate that. It’s a pretty amazing ground
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

deanoman wrote:After being to the parra bankwest stadium 3 times. You would want to replicate that. It’s a pretty amazing ground
It's so good, you replicated it!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

deanoman wrote: September 5, 2019, 3:51 am After being to the parra bankwest stadium 3 times. You would want to replicate that. It’s a pretty amazing ground
I wouldn’t want to replicate it entirely. There are no seats for the public on the western side of the ground.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Didn’t know you were so concerned for the public GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

papabear wrote: September 5, 2019, 10:23 am Didn’t know you were so concerned for the public GE
Well there you go.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

Looks like it's going to be a "House Full" sign on the stadium this Friday.

Will Barr be at the game to see we need a new stadium in person? Or do you reckon he'll be in Melbourne trying to justify the money spent on GWS?

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

yurithe1 wrote:Looks like it's going to be a "House Full" sign on the stadium this Friday.

Will Barr be at the game to see we need a new stadium in person? Or do you reckon he'll be in Melbourne trying to justify the money spent on GWS?
Last week there was an article in the Times about the town going green - sausages etc. On the Facebook post someone commented how about a little orange and black to support Canberra's team in the AFL. Oh how we laughed.

So serious question, with GWS in the GF, is any one down there seemingly giving a ****?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I saw that, one lady cracking the ****

No-one cares

yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

I read an article a while ago that GWS were demanding that the ACT Government upgrade some facilities at Manuka or they might not re-sign.

Yeah, they're Canberra's team... as long as the cheques keep clearing.

Turbo_Raider
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Turbo_Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 24, 2019, 12:10 pm
yurithe1 wrote:Looks like it's going to be a "House Full" sign on the stadium this Friday.

Last week there was an article in the Times about the town going green - sausages etc. On the Facebook post someone commented how about a little orange and black to support Canberra's team in the AFL. Oh how we laughed.

So serious question, with GWS in the GF, is any one down there seemingly giving a ****?
I've lived in Melbourne for 9 years and give absolutely zero **** about saturday's game...

In fact such little **** are given that I'll be busy driving to canberra for the real game on friday and will likely miss the afl gf entirely due to the drive back :roflmao
Organised Chaos
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Organised Chaos »

yurithe1 wrote:I read an article a while ago that GWS were demanding that the ACT Government upgrade some facilities at Manuka or they might not re-sign.

What they want it covered just in case it snows again Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

yurithe1 wrote:I read an article a while ago that GWS were demanding that the ACT Government upgrade some facilities at Manuka or they might not re-sign.

Good, there's the door

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Exhibition Park emerges as possible location for new 25,000-seat Canberra sports stadium

The long-awaited new Canberra sports stadium could be built at Exhibition Park - rather than in the city - under the ACT government's new $14 billion infrastructure strategy.

"You have no shortage of [government-owned] land, you have a public transport connection with light rail running past it now, and it's geographic location is not too bad in terms of access points on major highways," Mr Barr said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... ETpCm0NWXc
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

For a start... 25,000 is too small. It needs to be 30,000 if we are to remain a Preliminary Final venue.

Second point... why relocate the stadium from Bruce... to the far edge of Canberra! Isn’t the whole idea of relocating to bring it into the centre of the city... where there’s bars, clubs etc around?

Who cares if it’s on a tram line, when the tram line doesn’t go anywhere near where the bulk of Canberrans live?