Canberra Raiders looking to re-sign Jordan Rapana

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders looking to re-sign Jordan Rapana

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: July 4, 2019, 8:23 pm
sprintman wrote: July 4, 2019, 7:53 pm Just read Rapana to Warriors. I wonder if there’s anything to it, or just low grade trolling
With a current back 3 of Mamalo, RTS and Fusitua it doesn't make much sense.
That one has been around for ages, but, no, it makes no sense at all.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I think every NZ international gets link to the Warriors when they're on the market.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Yeah his family is more set up on the GC/Sunshine coast than anywhere else from what I understand.

I mean Rapana still gets a start in that back 3 so he improves it, but it's a weird buy. Warriors though so who knows. Would that have some weird plan to move RTS to 5/8 and someone else to FB?
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

he is currently in New Zealand.........
Vaccinated
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Just on Leilua he’s a gun and essential to keep if he returns well from injury imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat wrote: July 4, 2019, 8:38 pm he is currently in New Zealand.........
... in Queenstown, a fair way from Auckland!
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

sprintman wrote: July 4, 2019, 7:53 pm Just read Rapana to Warriors. I wonder if there’s anything to it, or just low grade trolling
Agree
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

greeneyed wrote: July 4, 2019, 8:26 pm
That one has been around for ages, but, no, it makes no sense at all.
Depends how you view there wingers, while very good they have both been talked about as being more suited to other positions, Fusitua as a centre and maumalo as a future second rower
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I think there's a very real chance that Rapana will be working on his suntan next year

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:I think there's a very real chance that Rapana will be working on his suntan next year

Back to the Titans?

I'd hate to see him leave. He's a great winger.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

dubby wrote: July 5, 2019, 8:33 am
T_R wrote:I think there's a very real chance that Rapana will be working on his suntan next year

Back to the Titans?

I'd hate to see him leave. He's a great winger.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Prodigal son returns. Kiss of death for a player's career though. They all seem to go backwards there.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's almost inevitable. With Simonson proving his value and Oldfield in reserve, we can't carry that much cap in our 3/4 line. Rapana at her a best is an absolute game breaker though. Sucks really, but that's the cap in operation I guess.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

“Rapana at her best”?

Jesus Seiff, that’s pretty harsh and a little bit sexist!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: July 5, 2019, 6:08 am I think there's a very real chance that Rapana will be working on his suntan next year

Honestly... feels like a fitting end to a rather remarkable career.
Assuming he gets paid a motza to go and hang with his fam.

I'd be ok with it, taking a risk on Simo who... is IMO, a very good RL winger who has potential for more, but also probably never gets to Rap's leve now, is a decent sized gamble but i'd id take if the price point is consirable

but the question about Beej becomes a lot more complicated
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Neeeegz wrote:Looks like Rapana knocked back a 500k extension a few months back to test his value on the market. Raiders moved on and allocated the money elsewhere, so if he stays, it will be for a decent pay cut...apparently

Rapana costs himself a bundle
The Mole

Jordan Rapana is one of the game’s better finishers and was offered around $500,000 to remain at Canberra. Rapana opted to knock the money back and test the market … and has come up empty. The Raiders have allocated the money elsewhere - so Rapana will either have to take a pay cut or leave the Raiders.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-t ... ca83a1d938
You would think after Blake Austin’s attempt at the open market last year that the players would learn that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Often your first offer is your best offer. When will they learn.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: July 7, 2019, 5:00 pm “Rapana at her best”?

Jesus Seiff, that’s pretty harsh and a little bit sexist!
You have a problem with Jordy wanting to be 'her'?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

LastRaider wrote: July 8, 2019, 9:06 am
Neeeegz wrote:Looks like Rapana knocked back a 500k extension a few months back to test his value on the market. Raiders moved on and allocated the money elsewhere, so if he stays, it will be for a decent pay cut...apparently

The Mole

Jordan Rapana is one of the game’s better finishers and was offered around $500,000 to remain at Canberra. Rapana opted to knock the money back and test the market … and has come up empty. The Raiders have allocated the money elsewhere - so Rapana will either have to take a pay cut or leave the Raiders.

You would think after Blake Austin’s attempt at the open market last year that the players would learn that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Fairly accurate comparison. I'd say the problem to do with poor guidance from their managers.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I think he may find himself a little further north in townsville. Would love him to stay but he’s consistently given us a valuable return on investment and deserves anything extra he can get. Best of luck to him
Dont delete this GE
Sydney_Raider
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Sydney_Raider »

Remember when he has some of the worst hands in the NRL. He certainly turned that around (he needed to). Sad if he moves elsewhere but I can understand the reasoning. Simmonson has been a pleasant surprise although I saw signs against Parra he may be getting a little over confident. We also have guys like Niko and Satini at Mounties.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Northern Raider wrote: July 8, 2019, 9:27 am
LastRaider wrote: July 8, 2019, 9:06 am

The Mole

Fairly accurate comparison. I'd say the problem to do with poor guidance from their managers.
Every Raiders fan knows we pay overs - why dont the players get that?!?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sydney_Raider wrote: July 8, 2019, 1:08 pm Remember when he has some of the worst hands in the NRL. He certainly turned that around (he needed to). Sad if he moves elsewhere but I can understand the reasoning. Simmonson has been a pleasant surprise although I saw signs against Parra he may be getting a little over confident. We also have guys like Niko and Satini at Mounties.
He shows promise but still a ways to go. He has incredible speed but is still working out how make the most of it at NRL level. Some players are able to take that next step and become a total weapon like Josh Addo-Carr. Most do not though. Its all about reading the play and possitioning yourself. Given his relative lack of experience he has plenty of upside in this regard.
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

Northern Raider wrote: July 4, 2019, 8:29 pm I think every NZ international gets link to the Warriors when they're on the market.
Yeah I think it's standard practice for managers to leak that that line to the media as a bargaining chip.

Having said that a number of NZ reps have actually signed for the Warriors in recent seasons, Tohu Harris, RTS and Isaac Luke to name just a few.

I would love to see Rapana stay but we're also going to need to find $$$ to upgrade CNK and somethings going to have to give.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sydney_Raider wrote: July 8, 2019, 1:08 pm Remember when he has some of the worst hands in the NRL. He certainly turned that around (he needed to). Sad if he moves elsewhere but I can understand the reasoning. Simmonson has been a pleasant surprise although I saw signs against Parra he may be getting a little over confident. We also have guys like Niko and Satini at Mounties.
I remember it.
Some members of the GH, who shall remain nameless even mocked him and called him "**** fingers"
And Rickman and I were absolutely disgusted by it.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: July 8, 2019, 2:15 pm
I remember it.
Some members of the GH, who shall remain nameless even mocked him and called him "**** fingers"
Yeah I remember those guys. From memory they were called. The Nickman and Pigman. Jerks.

Pretty sure they were both Lucy anyway.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

It was around the same time they RRAn another poster out of here. Jerks.
Dont delete this GE
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Northern Raider wrote:
I remember it.
Yeah I remember those guys. From memory they were called. The Nickman and Pigman. Jerks.

That's what I thought. The alto ego bros

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think Rapanas handling issues were overblown. Always been a boss in lime green.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 8, 2019, 2:25 pm
I remember it.

God, i remember those guys
just the WORST
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

PigRickman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: July 8, 2019, 2:25 pm
I remember it.

God, i remember those guys
just the WORST

I know right, those guys had no faith in Ricky Stuart. If only they were still around so you 2 could shove this current top 4 form in their faces !
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

He's just finding his range between keeping it tight so as not to let anyone down but also being able to display and use the skill set he has- which coming from rugby 7s is probably broader than just - ruck out, tackle.

One of the gorgeously refreshing things about Jordy Raps was his "rugby mindset" where he knew when advantage was being played and would take a risk-free punt on an outrageous play. Plus his ability to kick creatively at full pace, throw great passes etc etc. He had more strings to his bow than the run of the mill NRL winger. I think Simonsen has more than he's shown us but like Rapana it might take a season or so to dial it in.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

BadnMean wrote: July 8, 2019, 7:54 pm
He's just finding his range between keeping it tight so as not to let anyone down but also being able to display and use the skill set he has- which coming from rugby 7s is probably broader than just - ruck out, tackle.

One of the gorgeously refreshing things about Jordy Raps was his "rugby mindset" where he knew when advantage was being played and would take a risk-free punt on an outrageous play. Plus his ability to kick creatively at full pace, throw great passes etc etc. He had more strings to his bow than the run of the mill NRL winger. I think Simonsen has more than he's shown us but like Rapana it might take a season or so to dial it in.
Already using past tense for Rapa, BnM?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Ruben Daley wrote: July 8, 2019, 8:50 pm
BadnMean wrote: July 8, 2019, 7:54 pm

Already using past tense for Rapa, BnM?
Good catch. I'd love him to stay but I think there might be clubs who get nearer to his asking price than we can. And it's his last big contract. So I'd love him to stay but not confident. Preparing for him to go mentally.

It'll be a nice surprise for me if he and Joey go around for us again next year.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

How do you think Rapana would look in red?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: July 9, 2019, 8:32 am How do you think Rapana would look in red?

Assuming you mean the Dragons, it seems right. They love picking up our discards.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

T_R wrote: July 9, 2019, 8:32 am How do you think Rapana would look in red?

Code switch hey?
Dont delete this GE