Re-sign, release, target for 2020?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Re-sign, release, target for 2020?

Post by bayraider »

Get rid off Abbey, Luke Bateman, Hingano. Re-sign Raps. Target Any young up and comer half back? Young Bulldogs halfback that played on the weekend can not think of his name, Thoughts?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Who should we re-sign?Who should we not offer a new contract too? And who should we target for 2020?

Post by zim »

George Williams will be our 7 next year.
Can't see Abbey, Bateman, Hingano or Hunt staying.

Re-signing Rapana would pretty much see our main roster settled for next year.
bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Re: Who should we re-sign?Who should we not offer a new contract too? And who should we target for 2020?

Post by bayraider »

I still think it would be nice to pick up a good young Half on a development contract if we can cause I do not rate Brendan O'hagn at all? I think it's a waste of space on our list.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Yeah I don't see Hagan making the step up. Too many defensive issues at the moment.
Who's the young Bulldogs playmaker you're talking about? If it's Cogger he's already wrapped up there and I doubt he's happy to drop down to a development contract. Likewise I can't see Lewis being happy to not be in the top 30 somewhere.

Toby Westcott from our own juniors could be jagging a development contract next year. All reports rate him highly.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I feel like Simmonsen is becoming a priority re-signing. Hard not to see this thread turning to custard as soon as someone puts forward a name not to resign that others disagree with.

I’m always conscious that we don’t have the full picture of what players are all about - we see who plays well and who doesn’t but quite rightly we don’t see who is good or bad for culture, who follows a game plan, who has unhealthy habits etc. For instance nobody is arguing hard to save Abby, but perhaps Abby is on peanuts and is best mates with Papa and a big reason Papa is here - silly example but you know what I mean....
zim
Laurie Daley

Re: Re-sign, not offer a new contract, target for 2020?

Post by zim »

Sammy is off contract too. Ideally we can hang on to him for cheap.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I think we should start looking to extend some contracts that expire in 2020. Following is a list of players off contract next year and my thoughts on what we should be doing with them.

JJ Collins - end 2020 WAIT AND SEE
Nick Cotric - end 2020 EXTEND LONG TERM
Jarrod Croker - end 2020 WAIT AND SEE
Siliva Havili - end 2020, option in player's favour 2021 WAIT AND SEE
Corey Horsburgh - end 2019, option in club's favour 2020 EXTEND
Joseph Leilua - end 2020 WAIT AND SEE
Jack Murchie - end 2020 WAIT AND SEE
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad - end 2020 EXTEND
Michael Oldfield - end 2020 WAIT AND SEE
Aidan Sezer - end 2020 WAIT AND SEE
Bailey Simonsson - end 2020 EXTEND
Iosia Soliola - end 2020 WAIT AND SEE
Ryan Sutton - end 2020 WAIT AND SEE
Jack Wighton – end 2020, option in player's favour 2021 EXTEND
Elliott Whitehead - end 2020, option in player's favour 2021 EXTEND
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

thats a lot off contract at the one time!
Jarrod will be resigned, no way they will let him go , same with jack and elliott

Sivilva will go, same with murchie
Vaccinated
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

It's more than a case of re-signing or not. Relative value comes into play. Also our ability to sign a reasonable replacement.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

cat wrote:thats a lot off contract at the one time!
Jarrod will be resigned, no way they will let him go , same with jack and elliott

Sivilva will go, same with murchie
It’s probably cause the Coach is also off contract.

What to do there?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

FROG wrote:I think we should start looking to extend some contracts that expire in 2020. Following is a list of players off contract next year and my thoughts on what we should be doing with them.

You forgot Ricky Stuart EXTEND

In Ricky We Trust
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Will Soliola’s wheelchair be under the cap? 😂 I love the bloke but he will be 53 years old at the end of 2020! Are you waiting to see if he’ll be let out of the old folks home on weekends?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: July 3, 2019, 8:16 pm It's more than a case of re-signing or not. Relative value comes into play. Also our ability to sign a reasonable replacement.
Yep - not sure the Greenhouse can settle this one and certain DFJ would be out of a job if we could. That said it’s an interesting thread and I’m keen to see others views.

Look at the contenders for rookie of the year each season and you quickly realise there is a solid flow of talent coming through. I’d like to see us play it cool rather than locking too many guys in on long contracts over the odds. Some of these guys we are seeing as high priority signings now will hopefully be passed by far better players by 2020
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: July 3, 2019, 9:49 pm Will Soliola’s wheelchair be under the cap? 😂 I love the bloke but he will be 53 years old at the end of 2020! Are you waiting to see if he’ll be let out of the old folks home on weekends?
Some signs this year that he's struggling with the pace of the game. I don't see that situation improving by the time 2021 comes round.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billie... we're sure the real Billy Walker would have SOMETHING positive to say about the Raiders at some stage. Just ONE thing... Maybe you could try it? Given you're a Raiders fan and all?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: July 3, 2019, 10:07 pm Billie... we're sure the real Billy Walker would have SOMETHING positive to say about the Raiders at some stage. Just ONE thing... Maybe you could try it? Given you're a Raiders fan and all?
Sorry GE - I didn’t mean to come across as negative there. I love Soliola to bits and think he’s been brilliant on and off the field. I hope he is still going strong in 2021 but I think we are being a bit hopeful. That aside, I’ll take the hint and will be more constructive in my commentary 😉
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

I hope Sia sticks around the club after he retires in some capacity. Maybe like a Raiders ambassador or something to like what JT does with the Cowboys.

In Ricky We Trust
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

bayraider wrote: July 3, 2019, 5:38 pm Get rid off Abbey, Luke Bateman, Hingano. Re-sign Raps. Target Any young up and comer half back? Young Bulldogs halfback that played on the weekend can not think of his name, Thoughts?
Wakeham is the guy you are thinking of. Also played for Fiji a fortnight ago.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Wakeham has along term deal at Dogs.

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

FROG wrote: July 3, 2019, 7:54 pm I think we should start looking to extend some contracts that expire in 2020. Following is a list of players off contract next year and my thoughts on what we should be doing with them.

JJ Collins - end 2020 WAIT AND SEE probably rather keep Hunt if it came down to it, bottom of my middles retention list after starters and Murchie, Hors and co

Nick Cotric - end 2020 EXTEND LONG TERM upgrade and shift to centre possible, otherwise #1 wing on Rapana $$$
Jarrod Croker - end 2020 realistically will be extended, no upgrade, 2 years

Siliva Havili - end 2020, option in player's favour no action needed, he'll extend, if not he can test the market but not essential to the squad so he can go if he wants more

Corey Horsburgh - end 2019, option in club's favour 2020 certainly wouldn't be extending early before he's shown he can be a FG footballer here and buy into what Ricky is doing. He's being given every chance

Joseph Leilua - end 2020 sadly I'm not sure Joey is going to make it back. This disc fusion surgery has ended a few NRL careers and Joey plays like a wrecking ball. This is either extend if he's able to play like himself again or possibly even a medical retirement by mid year

Jack Murchie - end 2020 haven't seen as much of him as the other young forwards but he's looked ok. Happy to wait and see

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad - end 2020 I'd be trying to extend 1 year, assuming he's on close to minimum now I'd be happy to double his money + some. That's probably best for him and the club to see if he has rounded his game out to become an excellent FB or what exactly his limitations are. Also allows him to negotiate from that advantage if he's played well.

Aidan Sezer - end 2020 I'd assume both Aidan and the club would rather move on and clear him off the books when G Williams comes and be working on that to save the cap space

Bailey Simonsson - end 2020 extend and upgrade to reflect starting NRL winger. I wouldn't be totally surprised if he ends up our FB one day.

Iosia Soliola - end 2020 no extension. I'd be thanking him for his years of stalwart service and doing everything I could to make provision for him to remain involves with the club in an off field role and make sure he knew that. But he won't be an NRL player beyond 2020. He's struggling a bit now imo.

Ryan Sutton - end 2020 WAIT AND SEE I agree. He's been good in patches, very good, but not consistently. I'd want to see how 2020 goes before making an offer. But if he's good value as a steady middle then of course, retain.

Jack Wighton – end 2020, option in player's favour 2021 extend- he's an origin rep and on field leader. He's a maniac but he's our maniac and x-factor.

Elliott Whitehead - end 2020, option in player's favour 2021 I assume he'd activate that extension. Keep. He's good.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

interested to see how Sutton goes after an in and out pre-season as an NRL player.
Remembering he arrived looking a fair bit less fit than you would expect Nov 1st next time round.
Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

From the list presented above:

Ricky Stuart - 2020 > EXTEND. Looks like the penny may have finally dropped. :thumbsup

JJ Collins - end 2020 > Been a backup all his career. Sign another young forward looking for a shot.

Nick Cotric - end 2020 > EXTEND LONG TERM > Agree! 10yr deal :D

Jarrod Croker - end 2020 > Extend. Many on here disagree, but Croker is a top 5 or 6 centre. Yes, centre appears to be the 'cheap' or lesser required position these days, but he is/ will be a club legend by careers end. While sentimentality shouldnt come into it, our club thrives on it. Players, coaches, board and most fans love this guy.

Siliva Havili - end 2020, option in player's favour 2021 > Ideally Id like to extend. Though I want a genuine 3rd hooker in the squad too.

Corey Horsburgh - end 2019, option in club's favour 2020 > Has a lot to learn, and must curb his temper. Im confident we take that option.

Joseph Leilua - end 2020 > WAIT AND SEE > Agreed. See how the body is next yr.

Jack Murchie - end 2020 WAIT AND SEE > Injured for a chunk of this yr hasnt helped his cause. Porter just got upgraded to the Top 30 too.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad - end 2020 EXTEND > Agreed. Another deal earned.

Michael Oldfield - end 2020 > Been a backup all his career, be he is liked at the club. Id sign another young back looking for a shot.

Aidan Sezer - end 2020 > With G Williams coming Id say at least 1 of Sammy and Sezer are gone.

Bailey Simonsson - end 2020 EXTEND > Agreed. I've really liked what I've seen. Rapa/ CNK type involvement and effort, but not quite the impact. He will get better.

Iosia Soliola - end 2020 WAIT AND SEE > I agree here. See how the body is. Last time we said he was done, he stepped up.

Ryan Sutton - end 2020 > Extend. He has proved himself. Still young. He will get better.

Jack Wighton – end 2020, option in player's favour 2021 EXTEND > Agreed. Killing it.

Elliott Whitehead - end 2020, option in player's favour 2021 EXTEND > Agreed.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Here's my thoughts on the situation

Ricky Stuart - 2020 > EXTEND but only for one year. I love what he's done this season with the team, but as 2017-18 showed, he's capable of one-season flashes of brilliance. We need to see this squad develop for multiple seasons. Extend for one year, if we make Top 4 two seasons in a row, then give him another 3 years.

JJ Collins - end 2020 > No opinion

Nick Cotric - end 2020 > EXTEND, but not 10 years. 10 year deals are stupid

Jarrod Croker - end 2020 > EXTEND, he's our captain, of course you extend

Siliva Havili - end 2020, option in player's favour 2021 > EXTEND, great backup player, fills a number of roles, perfect number 14

Corey Horsburgh - end 2019, option in club's favour 2020 > Not convinced about Horsburgh, if he gets the stupid and lazy garbage out of his play, take the 2020 option, otherwise let him go

Joseph Leilua - end 2020 > make a decision next year based on how his neck pulls up

Jack Murchie - end 2020 > No opinion

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad - end 2020 > EXTEND, he's our potential fullback option for years to come, should only get better

Michael Oldfield - end 2020 > EXTEND if you can, perfect for the role he plays. I suggest he might want to look elsewhere though, considering he's dropped to seventh in the pecking order for three-quarters

Aidan Sezer - end 2020 > I would like to see him extended, but feel he'll be gone for next season

Bailey Simonsson - end 2020 > EXTEND, exciting young prospect

Iosia Soliola - end 2020 > I have a feeling he'll be done by then and will make his own call

Ryan Sutton - end 2020 > EXTEND, looking good, better than I anticipated and should only improve

Jack Wighton – end 2020 > EXTEND, our best player now, keep the "stay out of Civic" clause firmly in place

Elliott Whitehead - end 2020 > EXTEND, I love him, get him up here, I wanna boof him, 10 year deal
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The fact that we have to look at contracts for current players beyond 2020 highlights once again how ridiculous it is that clubs can recruit players 12 months in advance.