Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Canberra Raiders looking to re-sign Jordan Rapana

Post by zim »

Billy Walker wrote: May 16, 2019, 5:22 pm
zim wrote: May 16, 2019, 1:32 pm
Billy Walker wrote: May 15, 2019, 9:33 pm
zim wrote: May 15, 2019, 2:08 pm I think we'd be giving Simonsson and Oldfield the spot if Rapana went. Get another backup winger and the cap moves elsewhere. Likely for someone to partner Papalii.
Yep - I’m with you here Zim. Could use another quality front rower or a new 7. Not smart locking up big dollars in a winger.
I think you've misread me there. I want Rapana to stay. That's my first choice. I expect us to give him a competitive offer. Not 700k. That's just silly and paying that for a winger is not where any team should be putting their cap. I also expect him to be more motivated to stay here.
If Rapana does move on then we look at plan B and moving the cap space elsewhere in the team.
Yep - I’m on the same page. The guy is great and it would be a great result to keep him but the price has to be right. It head over heart stuff. Make a reasonable offer and be prepared to let him go if he’s asking the sort of money that should otherwise be reserved for spine players, an elite forward, or apparently Cory Oates?
Haha, if Oates does somehow land that 700k deal I'd expect it to be a bottom 4 team with a bad back 5, desperate to make a signing.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yeah that's 100% a Titans deal.

They did say Sydney club though.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Chalk me up as on the same page as Mike 'Billy' Walker... make a fair and decent market offer, in line with the Fergo deal, and be prepared to let him walk if he gets better
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:Chalk me up as on the same page as Mike 'Billy' Walker... make a fair and decent market offer, in line with the Fergo deal, and be prepared to let him walk if he gets better
It’s Max!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: May 16, 2019, 9:59 pm
PigRickman wrote:Chalk me up as on the same page as Mike 'Billy' Walker... make a fair and decent market offer, in line with the Fergo deal, and be prepared to let him walk if he gets better
It’s Max!

Max, you can't be in here!
I've got this big mother-**** cricket bat that says i can
Have a seat, Max.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Max **** change your name to Mike Walker, the bane of my **** existence.

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

edwahu wrote: May 16, 2019, 9:34 pm Yeah that's 100% a Titans deal.

Don't Souffs now have a million bucks to throw around?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

BadnMean wrote: May 16, 2019, 11:41 pm
edwahu wrote: May 16, 2019, 9:34 pm Yeah that's 100% a Titans deal.

Don't Souffs now have a million bucks to throw around?
yeah but oates will stay at broncos for a reduced price because of the bennett factor... wait
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Anyway, 700k for Corey Oates is crazy money. Anyone who wants to pay it deserves the cap pain to follow. I agree I think it is just a manager gee up.

It puts it in perspective that Rapana for 2 years at 500k should be the ceiling. Or 3rd year in clubs favour at something like 500, 500, 350 (give or take 50k on the first 2 years). That idea posted earlier gets my vote.

He will attract offers. He is a man you could use to help build a club culture and be a backline leader. Some clubs could see him as a FB option. Wouldn't surprise me if someone threw something big at him but he does seem very happy in his footy here.

If he wanted to cash in near the end of his career I imagine he'd attract some good union offers from Europe/Japan as they don't mind a league winger and Jordy actually has more of the union skill set required of a winger (that 40/20!) and understands the game mores than plenty of others who have gone over.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: May 16, 2019, 10:08 pm Max **** change your name to Mike Walker, the bane of my **** existence.

Never got Max Walkers autograph as a kid but Billy Walker signed my Big League at Seiffert one day 😉
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Neeeegz »

Looks like Rapana knocked back a 500k extension a few months back to test his value on the market. Raiders moved on and allocated the money elsewhere, so if he stays, it will be for a decent pay cut...apparently

Rapana costs himself a bundle
The Mole

Jordan Rapana is one of the game’s better finishers and was offered around $500,000 to remain at Canberra. Rapana opted to knock the money back and test the market … and has come up empty. The Raiders have allocated the money elsewhere - so Rapana will either have to take a pay cut or leave the Raiders.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-t ... ca83a1d938
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by BadnMean »

Some of it will go to Bateman, who was signed for peanuts but has now flown his manager out seeking an upgrade- which he will get.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I've had a little whisper that Rapana is very much on the open market.

Sent from my SM-G975F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Sounds like there is a good chance he won’t be staying in green. I’m fine with that. The guy has been brilliant and still has a lot of good footy in him and if he has to move on it’s sad but the sort of tough roster decisions we need to make. He would leave with nothing but appreciation and best wishes from my perspective. He will do well elsewhere and we will be fine without him.

Hopefully there is a chance we still keep him but that possibility raises concerns in itself- not sure how exciting I’d be to continue in my job for a pile less money.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Whether he stays or goes comes back to what other clubs are willing to pay him. If somebody wants to give him a lot more than what he Raiders are willing to then he should grab it. Turns 30 next month so the clock is ticking on his NRL paydays.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Love Jordy, he is a quality player and a top 5 winger. However, he is starting to be injury prone again, and obviously not cheap.

Simmonson is proving to be an up and comer with similar energy and effort, even if he doesnt quite show the polish yet.

Its going to be a big decision for the club.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Gets through an absolute ton of work, still a brilliant winger and still an elite level player. We’ll miss him a lot if he leaves.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Injury prone and he knows it. Should have grabbed the $500k offered
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I love him, but Bailey Simmo is more than capable

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Be a star over in the ESL
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Be a star over in the ESL
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins

Post by Bennyinthewest »

He is a star here

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I know the Tigers are keen for Rapana but he has really out priced himself at the moment.
Maybe having Madge the current NZ Coach also comes into it and they just lost Mahe Founa so I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up there.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

If Rapa goes, what does this mean for Leilua? Do we lose him too? I can't see him being as happy without his other half. They are the dynamic duo.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'd hate to see Jordan Rapana playing in another jersey... it'd be awful. I hope he stays.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: July 2, 2019, 8:02 pm If Rapa goes, what does this mean for Leilua? Do we lose him too? I can't see him being as happy without his other half. They are the dynamic duo.
I dont know the answer to that myself, but as i said a few months ago... if Rapana is leaving, the club should have a very honest and frank conversation about Beej
Love the guy but a major part of his game is how he links up with Raps... i genuinely dont know what i'd do with him, he's 27 so should have plenty of great footy left in him but coming off a neck injury that im worried will dramatically change the way he can impact games...

Want to make it clear, im not saying we should let him go. I would absolutely favour keeping him right now, especially if the club thinks the neck injury isnt going to inhibit him. He's a game breaker and this side needs his x-factor. But it's a conversation they the club should be having internally.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

hasn't been himself but he's won games scoring tries nobody else does. I'd love to see him stay
Edrick The Entertainer
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

if we are to win a comp in the next few years we will need to keep him and link him with Bj again when he is back
raider 4 life
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

My first choice is to keep both and have Simo as first back up. He'll get game time with some injuries.
If they both go we need to immediately be on the phone with that superleague winger/centre we were linked to earlier. He looked a quality player, name escapes me at the moment.
Harley Smith-Shields in our lower grades also looks to be a player of the future. I think he looks better than Kris did at that stage and he is not shy on contact or effort.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

And Matt Timoko.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I’d happily pay slight overs for Rapana knowing next year we’ve got a new halfback coming and we’re a genuine chance for competing for the premiership in 2020/21.

Cronk gone, Smith nearly 40... the comp should open up even further next year and the year after.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

We have a new 6 coming not a 7. :)

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Finchy wrote: July 2, 2019, 8:02 pm If Rapa goes, what does this mean for Leilua? Do we lose him too? I can't see him being as happy without his other half. They are the dynamic duo.
Joey might not even play again- that neck disc fusion surgery has ended quite a few careers.

And if he does, he's a good player no matter who is next to him.

We haven't had Leipana together basically all year and we are sitting 4th. Cotric is a physically powerful, tackle busting winger/centre who is dynamic and skilful and starting to break into Origin. Simmonson is defensively excellent, has serious toe and is beginning to expand his game and show that rugby 7 skill set he came with. Oldfield will give us another 1 or 2 years of good footy. That's without even looking at the market or our younger players coming through.

I'd love to see Leipana in action again but we don't need it like we did in '16 because we can now defend, not hope to just beat you in a points shootout. We still have plenty of outside back strike (see above). Yes, try to keep these guys but don't spend overs to do it, put the money to quality half, quality front rower or keep some so we are in position to make a real bid next time someone very big comes onto market. Not by overpaying for 2 grand old servants of the club who rely on pure physical dynamism for their game but who haven't played more than half the season lately...
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Just read Rapana to Warriors. I wonder if there’s anything to it, or just low grade trolling
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

sprintman wrote: July 4, 2019, 7:53 pm Just read Rapana to Warriors. I wonder if there’s anything to it, or just low grade trolling
With a current back 3 of Mamalo, RTS and Fusitua it doesn't make much sense.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.