Israel Folau

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Israel Folau

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

What is ******** me up the wall is the defence that “He’s quoting the bible. Why should he be punished for quoting the bible?”

To anyone who TRULY believes that, tell me the passage that Insta post is quoting.

I’ll wait here

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Or do you not know that the unrighteous2 will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: xneither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,3 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

English Standard Version

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Uh...great. Where's the homosexuals? Since that was one of the groups Folau has particularly targeted. I don't see them listed there. So that blows his "quoting the bible" defence out the window.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

raiderskater wrote: June 21, 2019, 12:37 pm Uh...great. Where's the homosexuals? Since that was one of the groups Folau has particularly targeted. I don't see them listed there. So that blows his "quoting the bible" defence out the window.
You didn't see it? :?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Northern Raider wrote: June 21, 2019, 2:19 pm
raiderskater wrote: June 21, 2019, 12:37 pm Uh...great. Where's the homosexuals? Since that was one of the groups Folau has particularly targeted. I don't see them listed there. So that blows his "quoting the bible" defence out the window.
I see it now that dubby has completely changed what he posted originally.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

raiderskater wrote: June 21, 2019, 2:25 pm
Fair enough. I googled the passage and its in there. Depends on which translation you read as to whether it specifically says "homosexuals" but the meaning is the same. In reading it though it appears to only reference male homosexuality. Means the lesbian community is in the clear. :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Wow, all this public outrage has been a massive boon for Izzy. Its up over $300k now. :shock:
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Northern Raider wrote: June 21, 2019, 2:46 pm
Fair enough. I googled the passage and its in there. Depends on which translation you read as to whether it specifically says "homosexuals" but the meaning is the same. In reading it though it appears to only reference male homosexuality. Means the lesbian community is in the clear. :lol:
The lesbian community is considered fetish fuel for men, so I'm not quite sure that counts as "in the clear".

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

raiderskater wrote: June 21, 2019, 3:59 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 21, 2019, 2:46 pm
The lesbian community is considered fetish fuel for men, so I'm not quite sure that counts as "in the clear".
You've been following Manbush's posts too much.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

I’m seeing his gofundme being reported a lot for breaching their terms and conditions, if it gets shutdown wonder if he’ll sue them as well for persecuting him for his religious beliefs.

“campaigns we deem, at our sole discretion, to be in support of, or for the legal defence of alleged crimes associated with hate, violence, harassment, bullying, discrimination, terrorism or intolerance of any kind relating to race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, sex, gender or gender identity or serious disabilities or diseases;”
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

raiderskater wrote:
I went from king james version to the more modern and highly regarded English standard version.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

The whole thing is a **** joke, you should expect to be called out for quoting hate speech no matter where it’s written
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: June 21, 2019, 6:00 pm
raiderskater wrote:
I went from king james version to the more modern and highly regarded English standard version.

that's great and all, but i dont really see what LeBron has to do with any of this.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

dubby wrote: June 21, 2019, 6:00 pm
raiderskater wrote:

You mean, you went from an older version that did not at all support your argument to a modern "new translation" that mysteriously added in something that wasn't there before.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Fine, here's the kjv.

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 

10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. 

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Here's the nasb

do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

And the Geneva Study Bible from 1599

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor wantons, nor buggerers,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor railers, nor extortioners shall inherit the kingdom of God.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

And just to be fair, to balance out the literal translations to a dynamic equivalent, here's the NLT.

Don’t you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don’t fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality, 10 or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God.

(Just to appease skater, as she's so adamant I was plucking the one type of translation to suit a agenda.)

greeneyed
Don Furner

Israel Folau

Post by greeneyed »

It doesn’t matter what translation is used. This stuff was written by uneducated, awful people many, many centuries ago. There’s no reason to believe this rubbish. It has no relevance in today’s world. It’s horrible. It is hateful. In my view, it’s not what loving Christians should accept as kind, human behaviour in the 21st century. And I’m glad the large majority of people reject it, wholeheartedly today.

People should treat others well, as they would wish to be treated by others. That’s decent human behaviour. That’s pretty much all we need to remember.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:It doesn’t matter what translation is used. This stuff was written by uneducated, awful people many, many centuries ago. There’s no reason to believe this rubbish. It has no relevance in today’s world. It’s horrible. It is hateful. In my view, it’s not what loving Christians should accept as kind, human behaviour in the 21st century. And I’m glad the large majority of people reject it, wholeheartedly today.

People should treat others well, as they would wish to be treated by others. That’s decent human behaviour. That’s pretty much all we need to remember.
Hear hear. No matter what the translation is, it’s absolute awful garbage that has no place in today’s society

Again, the fact that anybody believes they have the right to treat other humans like this based on two thousand year old hateful garbage is just mind blowing to me
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

It’s not that easy though, if you’ve been raised to believe the Bible is the literal word of god you’ve got to take all of it as true including the abhorrent bits, it’s why for example in America you have a pastor/sheriff saying gays should be executed, why a couple of Republicans want to create a 51st state based on biblical law where over 60% of Australians would be executed for simply supporting marriage equality or a woman’s right to choose.

It’s great that the majority of Christians abandon Christian morality and adapt secular morality as their Christian values but for the hardcore believers like Izzy the indoctrination is too ingrained.

They need a Bible 2.0 along the lines of Jefferson’s Bible where they cut out all the old Leviticus type laws and just have Jesus’s teachings (dump the odd bad ones of his as well). Or better yet just have the golden rule which Jesus taught and existed in society back to at least Confucius.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

As you allude to, that’s the New Testament. Many of its teachings are good and provide a fundamental basis for civil societies today. Love your fellow man, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, forgiveness of others, charity, turn the other cheek, empathy, compassion, tolerance, inclusion of the poor, the sick, the weak. Christianity has been a great force for good in the world.

Sadly, some turn to parts of the Bible that are inconsistent with that and are grasped onto by right wing “fundamentalists” who want to spread hatefulness.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

GE, the Old Testament is largely Jewish law, history and prophecies about the returning of the messiah. Sadly, when he turned up they didn't recognize him!

I'm absolutely positive that if Jesus was walking around today, he'd go straight to the people who were hurting, in pain, the starving and the unlovely.

He'd teach, heal, sing, laugh and probably fart too. He came to the sick, because they need a doctor.

Then, he'd turn to the religious and confront them. He'd be furious with certain groups and how they've allowed pride, dogma and religious extremism to ruin his church.

Jesus is the reason I'm a Christian. He loves all of us. He died for us, then rose again. That's pretty cool.

Just lately I've been really confronted by my own lack of involvement, my idleness, my lack of commitment to Him. I've disappointed Him.

My wife and I have both realized that we need to just get totally serious about doing exactly what Jesus would want us to do.

Serve others. Love, serve and be a help to those who can't give anything to us. Just be on their level, acting in total love and faith, no more sitting idle, lazy and lukewarm.

There's a lot of people out there who could use that, i think .

This is probably one of those things that would be better said in a conversation, not a post. It's too deep and can be easily misunderstood this way.

There are a lot of indecent Christian behavior. Of that, I'm guilty.

I really want to turn this around.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Israel Folau

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:GE, the Old Testament is largely Jewish law, history and prophecies about the returning of the messiah. Sadly, when he turned up they didn't recognize him!

I'm absolutely positive that if Jesus was walking around today, he'd go straight to the people who were hurting, in pain, the starving and the unlovely.

He'd teach, heal, sing, laugh and probably fart too. He came to the sick, because they need a doctor.

Then, he'd turn to the religious and confront them. He'd be furious with certain groups and how they've allowed pride, dogma and religious extremism to ruin his church.

Jesus is the reason I'm a Christian. He loves all of us. He died for us, then rose again. That's pretty cool.

Just lately I've been really confronted by my own lack of involvement, my idleness, my lack of commitment to Him. I've disappointed Him.

My wife and I have both realized that we need to just get totally serious about doing exactly what Jesus would want us to do.

Serve others. Love, serve and be a help to those who can't give anything to us. Just be on their level, acting in total love and faith, no more sitting idle, lazy and lukewarm.

This is probably one of those things that would be better said in a conversation, not a post. It's too deep and can be easily misunderstood this way.

To be fair dubs, I’ve had the same recent self-reflection recently and realise I need to do all of the same things to be a better Buddhist, I’ve been getting sloppy with my love and respect for other people

Actually no, scratch that, I need to do all of those things better to be a better human being full stop. It has nothing to do with which religion/philosophy I choose to identify with

Good luck with your goal of being a better person to everyone equally for the good of all mankind, no matter the banner you choose to do it under
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

greeneyed wrote: June 22, 2019, 9:45 am As you allude to, that’s the New Testament. Many of its teachings are good and provide a fundamental basis for civil societies today. Love your fellow man, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, forgiveness of others, charity, turn the other cheek, empathy, compassion, tolerance, inclusion of the poor, the sick, the weak. Christianity has been a great force for good in the world.

Sadly, some turn to parts of the Bible that are inconsistent with that and are grasped onto by right wing “fundamentalists” who want to spread hatefulness.
Nah it’s not quite the New Testament as that still has some bad teachings within it and it still contains and condones the abhorrent stuff from the Old Testament.

You can say that Christianity has been a great force for good in this world but by equal measure it’s also been a great force for bad in this world, slavery, genocides, witch hunts, oppression of women, homophobia etc.

As for some turning to the parts that are inconsistent with the good stuff the whole book is inconsistent, you could use it to endorse any behavior as it contains good and bad messages.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Of course there have been a lot of bad things done in the name of Christianity. As I said, sadly some people grab the bad things to push their agenda of hate. But the positive things I've mentioned have helped form the basis of civil societies today. It's embodied in our laws and systems of ethics. That should be acknowledged.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Bible is both good and bad though in its teachings GE. That’s the problem with basing your life around a book which is open to interpretation, some will take the good messages and some will take the bad, both are as equally valid. The fundamentalists are just following the teachings more literally.

The bad I mentioned also helped shape our societies, our laws and ethics hence slavery being around for so long, inequality of races and gender, homophobia, you can’t just acknowledge the good and ignore the bad when it’s both.

You’re also more aware of the Age of Enlightenment and it’s influence on modern society than most, that is a large part of where our modern ethics and values like equality came from.

I just want to touch on one of your good elements like charity, the Christian version throughout history hasn’t been that good, it’s been responsible for erasing cultures through missionaries, the charity comes at the price of proselytizing if you don’t convert you don’t receive it, it discriminates, then there’s the whole Catholic charity to Africa is recent history which cost a lot of lives with the condition of charity not using condoms and telling them condoms are worse than aids, it’s been done to increase their numbers not to actually help.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Rickman wrote:
dubby wrote:GE, the Old Testament is largely Jewish law, history and prophecies about the returning of the messiah. Sadly, when he turned up they didn't recognize him!

To be fair dubs, I’ve had the same recent self-reflection recently and realise I need to do all of the same things to be a better Buddhist, I’ve been getting sloppy with my love and respect for other people

Actually no, scratch that, I need to do all of those things better to be a better human being full stop. It has nothing to do with which religion/philosophy I choose to identify with

Good luck with your goal of being a better person to everyone equally for the good of all mankind, no matter the banner you choose to do it under
Thanks Enrique, I think we're on the same page. Both of us want to be a better human so we can love and help other humans. We hold different world views, but if love is the goal, what difference does it make which view we hold?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Depends Dubby, if those beliefs lead to discrimination like against marriage equality, euthanasia etc that’s not helping or loving others, that’s prioritizing the beliefs.

The loving and helping others should be the priority and the realization that the right to ones beliefs end where others are affected by said beliefs.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Just on the doing what Jesus would want you to do, where do you think he’d sit on the political spectrum, would he be for helping the wealthy or for helping the less fortunate? I’d say he’d be far more liberal than conservative policy wise going by how Christians talk of him.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Izzy GFM is now $535k. This is mainly thanks to all the media uproar. If people had simply ignored it he'd be lucky to scratch out $10k. Any publicity is good publicity.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:Izzy GFM is now $535k. This is mainly thanks to all the media uproar. If people had simply ignored it he'd be lucky to scratch out $10k. Any publicity is good publicity.
Not really, he’s not going to get a cent of it
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Manbush wrote:Just on the doing what Jesus would want you to do, where do you think he’d sit on the political spectrum, would he be for helping the wealthy or for helping the less fortunate? I’d say he’d be far more liberal than conservative policy wise going by how Christians talk of him.
You're asking me to assume the actions of God incarnate, of my savior.

Hard to do, old mate

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Just looked at the page some of the $5 donors are taking the piss with names like “IsraelChangedReligions ToSuitHisBankAccount” and “Israelisa Massive####”.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Bushy, you're an old adversary, a kind hearted but stoic opponent.

Jesus loves you man. I would give anything to see you and him have a chat. Anything. His love, wisdom and kindness would just be incredible for you. I wish i knew how to respond to you man. Anything to get you to see that He loves you more than you know