Canberra Raiders forward Ryan Sutton should be called up to Great Britain squad

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly settle three year deal for George Williams

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forward Ryan Sutton should be called up to Great Britain squad

Ryan Sutton should be the recipient of a call-up to the GB squad following his excellent debut season Down Under.

The 23-year-old has endeared himself very quickly to NRL fans after a series of promising displays. He is one of Canberra’s top metre-makers and tacklers this year and has developed immensely under the guidance of Ricky Stuart.

Read more: https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/si ... ain-squad/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Great Britain Lions: Coach Wayne Bennett gives heritage player warning

Great Britain coach Wayne Bennett says he will only consider picking a heritage player for this year's Lions tour if they approach him and declare their commitment. One player has asked to be considered, but he won't reveal his identity at this stage.

Lachlan Coote, former Raiders half Blake Austin and Jackson Hastings all qualify, despite being Australian born.

Read more: https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/48681734
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wayne Bennett insists all England internationals could be ‘regular first-graders’ in NRL

Wayne Bennett believes that all of the players currently in his England setup could make the grade in Australia and become consistent first-team players in the NRL following the success of further English exports this year.

“I’ve said to these guys here, and I’ll be quite candid with you all, and it’s been proved again with Bateman turning up and Sutton turning up – the guys that play for England, there’s not one of them that couldn’t play in the NRL competition and be regular players in first-grade, not one of them.

Read more: http://www.totalrl.com/bennett-insists- ... rs-in-nrl/
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

#8 Graham #9 Hodgson #10 Thompson #11 Whitehead #12 Bateman #13 S Burgess

#14 Sutton, #15 G Burgess and a few SL players fighting it out for the last two spots.

Pretty good pack. Going to be comparable to anything the Kangaroos can throw at them.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders forward Ryan Sutton should be called up to Great Britain squad

Post by MrPosh »

Sutton shouldn't be anywhere near the squad at this point.

I appreciate he's playing in a better competition, but he wouldn't be in the top ten for English props at the moment.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders forward Ryan Sutton should be called up to Great Britain squad

Post by bonehead »

He's clearly getting targeted by opposition forwards and more than holding his own
Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He was unknown when he arrived.

Now we know him...

He's been great.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

MrPosh wrote:Sutton shouldn't be anywhere near the squad at this point.

I appreciate he's playing in a better competition, but he wouldn't be in the top ten for English props at the moment.
Geez mate, he's been in pretty good form for us. It's hard to fathom 10 better props keeping him out. Burgess x 2, but are there seriously 8 ESL props better?

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

MrPosh wrote: June 20, 2019, 6:57 am Sutton shouldn't be anywhere near the squad at this point.

Wow. Who's better. I think T Burgess is the dud Burgii. I didn't count O'Loughlin as he's 36 now and a lock I thought...
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sutton is a much better lock than frontrower from what I have seen, and a much better starting player. His biggest asset is his defense, he is a top tier NRL player in that aspect and you need that out there for as long as possible.

They could do worse than try and fit him in there at some point and see how it works.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

MrPosh wrote: June 20, 2019, 6:57 am Sutton shouldn't be anywhere near the squad at this point.

If there are ten better props in the Superleague than Sutton, we seriously need to get back over there with our chequebooks. After a bit of an iffy first few games, I think he's been very, very strong.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

T_R wrote: June 20, 2019, 9:34 am

If there are ten better props in the Superleague than Sutton, we seriously need to get back over there with our chequebooks. After a bit of an iffy first few games, I think he's been very, very strong.
I watch the ESL and Challenge Cup matches and there haven't been any locks or props who stand-out consistently enough for me to remember their names and think that they might do well here.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

greeneyed wrote: June 19, 2019, 9:48 pm Wayne Bennett insists all England internationals could be ‘regular first-graders’ in NRL

Wayne Bennett believes that all of the players currently in his England setup could make the grade in Australia and become consistent first-team players in the NRL following the success of further English exports this year.

“I’ve said to these guys here, and I’ll be quite candid with you all, and it’s been proved again with Bateman turning up and Sutton turning up – the guys that play for England, there’s not one of them that couldn’t play in the NRL competition and be regular players in first-grade, not one of them.

Read more: http://www.totalrl.com/bennett-insists- ... rs-in-nrl/
BTW, I notice in a related article that the ESL's CEO has criticised Bennett for his comments because it could be inferred that players have a better chance of being selected if they're playing in the NRL.

The ESL is negotiating a new broadcast deal and the possibility of losing their best players to the NRL doesn't sit well with him.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Im not sure he is an English rep level yet, but he should be in the conversation, and given he was an English A player already, he was already close. I agree that he is a lock more than a prop too. He has already proven he is a better starter than bench player too. Sutton could totally be a Funicane type guy, an underrated middle forward overshadowed by others in his team.

The Twins are avg these days. So, not sure who the 8 others are.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

dubby wrote: June 20, 2019, 8:19 am
MrPosh wrote:Sutton shouldn't be anywhere near the squad at this point.

Geez mate, he's been in pretty good form for us. It's hard to fathom 10 better props keeping him out. Burgess x 2, but are there seriously 8 ESL props better?

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Don't get me wrong, I think Sutton's exceeded pretty much everyone's expectations and become a decent member of the Raiders team.

There's an 'elite' bunch of English props:

Tom Burgess
George Burgess
James Graham
Chris Hill
Alex Walmsley
Luke Thompson
Liam Watts
Scott Taylor

Liam Watts in particular has been unreal this year and would make it into the England team for me along with Thompson, Walmsley and Tom Burgess.

Sutton is probably in the next batch - not at the top of it, imo, but probably the one whose career is on the sharpest upward trajectory.

That being said, there are young players like Matty English and Mikolaj Oledzki that will soon be overtaking him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wayne Bennett cops blast from Super League chief over comment regarding Canberra Raiders forward Ryan Sutton

Wayne Bennett has been heavily criticised by Super League chief executive Robert Elstone for claiming Ryan Sutton has improved his chances of international recognition by moving to the Canberra Raiders.

"If he was still here (England), we wouldn't have seen the potential he has got," said Bennett. "It just challenges them over there because the competition is so hard. He's risen to the occasion."

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/bennett-co ... a415bc4173

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/48698307
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I suspect Bennett is correct.
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Greedysmurf »

greeneyed wrote: June 20, 2019, 6:19 pm I suspect Bennett is correct.
Much as I don’t care for Bennett, he’s absolutely correct here. The NRL is a big step above the Super League in terms of quality.

The CEO of Super League should shut up about Bennett, and instead focus on getting a broadcast deal that will screen all the games. Even if you have Skysports in the U.K.,you only get 2-3 of the games broadcast each round. That does far more damage to the sport than anything the super coach might say.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Sutton is excellent and not picking him would be a mistake.
Couldnt care less and couldnt give a **** who people think are better in the ESL, he's doing this against the best in the world and looking as good or better than 90% of them. No question he should be in the side.

Ugh, didnt read the entire thread, now owe a F-ITALL to Bennett of all people. God dammit.
English Raider
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by English Raider »

PigRickman wrote: June 20, 2019, 8:15 pm Sutton is excellent and not picking him would be a mistake.
Couldnt care less and couldnt give a **** who people think are better in the ESL, he's doing this against the best in the world and looking as good or better than 90% of them. No question he should be in the side.

Ugh, didnt read the entire thread, now owe a F-ITALL to Bennett of all people. God dammit.
This is very Naive. There are 5/6 props better than Sutton was in the ESL and they too would exceed if given the chance. England have the best pack in world at the moment without a doubt. Luke Thompson at St Helens, in my opinion is in the best 3 props on both sides of the globe at the moment.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

English Raider wrote: June 20, 2019, 9:23 pm
PigRickman wrote: June 20, 2019, 8:15 pm Sutton is excellent and not picking him would be a mistake.

This is very Naive. There are 5/6 props better than Sutton was in the ESL and they too would exceed if given the chance. England have the best pack in world at the moment without a doubt. Luke Thompson at St Helens, in my opinion is in the best 3 props on both sides of the globe at the moment.
Good. Let em come and prove it then. Sutton is doing it week in and week out against the best in the world. Luke Thompson is beating up on guys not good enough for the NRL
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

PigRickman wrote: June 21, 2019, 10:04 am
English Raider wrote: June 20, 2019, 9:23 pm

Good. Let em come and prove it then. Sutton is doing it week in and week out against the best in the world. Luke Thompson is beating up on guys not good enough for the NRL
Watching the NZ vs England tests last year, Thompson wasn't even on my radar, just wanted to see how Raiders/potential Raiders went. Thompson caught my eye as the best forward on the field. I remember wishing we'd signed him. He was beating up on a pack with Tapau, JWH and the Bromiches in it, among others. So he was shining vs some very, very good middles forwards.

He could easily be their best prop. He's far more hard hitting/running and dynamic in style than Sutton who is more in the workhorse role.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He sounds fantastic
I look forward to seeing him come and test himself against the best week in and week out.
Until then, sorry, nothing against him, but I’ve got Sutton ahead of him.

Sutton has proven himself in the worlds best RL competition.
Last edited by Botman on June 21, 2019, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Uncle Benny will have to point out how the game is evolving with props and lock being 'center third' players who are interchangeable in terms of locks replacing props. This will happen more as the number of interchanges reduces. Mobility is becoming more critical in being competitive as the Raiders are proving this year.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

PigRickman wrote: June 21, 2019, 2:56 pm He sounds fantastic
I look forward to seeing him come and test himself against the best week in and week out.

Using that logic, Luke was the best Bateman in the whole of rugby league only six months ago.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

MrPosh wrote: June 22, 2019, 6:15 am

Using that logic, Luke was the best Bateman in the whole of rugby league only six months ago.
Lukes parents..Mr and Mrs Bateman agree..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

-PJ- wrote: June 22, 2019, 7:09 am

Lukes parents..Mr and Mrs Bateman agree..
:lol: I bet they don't (although I'm sure he's their favourite).
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m with the poms on this one. Being pretty good in the NRL doesn’t all of a sudden jump him over better players.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

julian87 wrote: June 22, 2019, 8:44 am I’m with the poms on this one. Being pretty good in the NRL doesn’t all of a sudden jump him over better players.
I disagree. I'd say it does all of a sudden jump him over other players.

There may be poms who are potentially better players than Sutton, but they're plying their trade in the weaker Superleague competition against weaker players.

If you're picking a test team that's going to be playing against the Aussies, Kiwis, Tongans, etc who are exclusively full of NRL players, I say you'd want to pick an English test team that has experience playing against NRL players.

That would give Sutton an advantage against others that only play in the Superleague. He's been conditioned to player to a much higher standard against consistently higher standard players/teams every week.

The Superleage is clearly an inferior competition. That's why people like Ryan Hall can score like 400 career tries, but Billy Slater couldn't even reach 200, and he's second on the all-time list. Or why Blake Austin can spend the last 2 years in the NRL and not register a single Dally M point, but go over to England and pretty much be man of the match every week.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Hall scored 230 tries. 40 more than Slater in the same amount of games which sounds about right given he’s a winger and Slater a fullback.

The thing is Sutton isn’t outperforming or even on par with the blokes the poms are talking about. He’s climbing the ladder but the poms won’t forget he was not even in consideration while playing in Dngland for the most part.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

If Sutton were to go back to UK comp today, he would be nearly double the player he was when he left imo. Bennett will want him in the squad and rightfully so. If he had an average year in the NRL then I could agree with arguments for having others in superleague above him but he's had a fantastic year so far... consistent, high quality performances in the world's best competition puts you right in to consideration for me. It's hard to look past a player who is performing well in a team currently running fourth in the NRL.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'd say Sutton is not a better player at present than a player like Luke Thompson. But the rate of improvement in Ryan Sutton has been very, very strong. He is a much better player today than he was in Round 1, much. After the trials, I was left wondering if there was a spot for him in the top 17, although Ricky Stuart has subsequently said he took a knock in the trials. Today, I want to see him start at prop every week. In a year or two, he's definitely going to be elite.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

julian87 wrote: June 22, 2019, 8:44 am I’m with the poms on this one. Being pretty good in the NRL doesn’t all of a sudden jump him over better players.
Agree just because he's been playing in the nrl doesn't make him better than guys that were already established international players while he was on the fringe , Suttons been good, but he's also had some really bad errors in him, hes not the elite international talent that some are making him out to be but hes got the makings of a very solid nrl prop/lock, needs to sort those errors out though, we don't need another EDIT fingers
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

That's a very good point
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yep, that's pretty much how i view things.
People dont have to agree with me. But i am personally not really interested in how good players are in a competition where Blake Austin is the best player. If those guys in the ESL are really good, and there is no reason to think they aren't, then i look forward to seeing in the NRL and proving it. Until then, for me, and again, no one has to agree with me here, i dont really rate those players