No votes
Eels 13+
6%

Total votes: 16

LastRaider
John Ferguson

2019 Rd 15 V Eels: Teams and Previews

Post by LastRaider »

kona_dream wrote:I like Starling. But if Hodgo is back what are people that want Starling in the team suggest we do with him? For him to get minutes without an injury you either need to pull Hodgo off the field or move him into halfback. Or am I missing something.
Move Hodgson to Lock. In 2016 it was really effective when Baptise came on and that was when teams had 10 interchanges. Now with 8 there is more fatigue, I think it would work even better

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Last edited by LastRaider on June 18, 2019, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 15 V Eels: Teams and Previews

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star John Bateman backs NRL crusher tackle crackdown after Andrew Fifita ban

Canberra Raiders forward John Bateman has joined a chorus urging the NRL to clamp down on the controversial crusher tackle before someone is seriously injured.

"You see people coming out and saying it's intentional, I will personally say myself, I don't go into a tackle thinking 'I'm going to hurt this player', but then again you can't have that [tackle] in the game," Bateman said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

Raiders Coach the Coach Night: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... ach-night/
Mr. Snrub
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by Mr. Snrub »

LastRaider wrote: June 18, 2019, 5:45 pm
kona_dream wrote:I like Starling. But if Hodgo is back what are people that want Starling in the team suggest we do with him? For him to get minutes without an injury you either need to pull Hodgo off the field or move him into halfback. Or am I missing something.
Move Hodgson to Lock. In 2016 it was really effective when Baptise came on and that was when teams had 10 interchanges. Now with 8 there is more fatigue, I think it would work even better

Ricky isn't going to replace Havilli with Starling. At least not at the moment. And there's no way that they would have all 3 in the team. We've also already got better options for lock.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Ricky SHOULDN'T replace Havili with Starling either. In a perfect game, if Starling plays he sits on the bench for 80min and Hodgson plays the whole thing, but if Havili is there he still gets minutes up the middle, and they're quality minutes too.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The Rickman wrote: June 19, 2019, 5:18 pm Ricky SHOULDN'T replace Havili with Starling either. In a perfect game, if Starling plays he sits on the bench for 80min and Hodgson plays the whole thing, but if Havili is there he still gets minutes up the middle, and they're quality minutes too.
Yep, pretty obvious for mine too.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Was there any specific reason we were allowed to play starling over the other hooker in out top 30 ? Wasn't it Patterson? I'll have to double check the contracted players thread, but from memory I thought he should of been next in line ? (Don't get me wrong, I like Starling a lot)

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Neeeegz wrote:Was there any specific reason we were allowed to play starling over the other hooker in out top 30 ? Wasn't it Patterson? I'll have to double check the contracted players thread, but from memory I thought he should of been next in line ? (Don't get me wrong, I like Starling a lot)

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Patterson is an Under 20s player, not in the top 30.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders winger Bailey Simonsson: I'm feeling more comfortable each week

Bailey Simonsson says he's feeling more and more comfortable each week in his first season in the NRL.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... each-week/

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders players Sia Soliola and Hudson Young along with 20's stars Jackson Stuart and Matt Timoko have recently spent their days away from football by completing their certificate III in fitness through One Wellbeing: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... n-fitness/
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Mr. Snrub wrote: June 19, 2019, 4:58 pm
LastRaider wrote: June 18, 2019, 5:45 pm

Ricky isn't going to replace Havilli with Starling. At least not at the moment. And there's no way that they would have all 3 in the team. We've also already got better options for lock.
Moving Hodgo to lock to accommodate Starling on the bench is about the worse idea I have read on the forum in quite some time.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I’m not suggesting Hodgson plays lock for the entire game. I’m suggesting Hodgson moves to a ball playing lock while Starling comes on to give the team attacking options. Especially for this year as Jack is out there on his own, Sezer or Williams offering nothing in attack at the moment

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LastRaider wrote: June 20, 2019, 12:42 pm I’m not suggesting Hodgson plays lock for the entire game. I’m suggesting Hodgson moves to a ball playing lock while Starling comes on to give the team attacking options. Especially for this year as Jack is out there on his own, Sezer or Williams offering nothing in attack at the moment
Whether its for part or all of the game, you're still shifting Hodgo to lock to accommodate Starling on the bench. :nooo :nooo :nooo
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It's an absolutely ludicrous suggestion, what "attacking options" does Starling provide that Hodgson or Havili (for that matter) don't??
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders rookie winger Bailey Simonsson backs Green Machine for title push

Rookie sensation Bailey Simonsson believes his Canberra Raiders side has what it takes to go deep into the competition in 2019.

"There were some nervous times out there when the Sharks were coming back last week, but fortunately enough we showed some resiliency, stuck strong in our defence and held on for the win. Those wins become really important at the back end of the year and there's a belief we can go deep in the competition."

Read more: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... 5r5wb209gq
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tim Sheens is at the Origin of Canberra Raiders ripples

Like a rock dropped in Lake Burley Griffin, ripples from the 1989 Green Machine are still being felt in State of Origin. The Raiders players that day have now coached 67 Origin matches.

"I don't know what you could put it down to," Ricky Stuart said. "Maybe the education we got under Tim Sheens here as a head coach. We were very fortunate. He was a very thorough coach, he was a great innovator and he never stood still, Tim.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... r-ripples/
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

The Rickman wrote:It's an absolutely ludicrous suggestion, what "attacking options" does Starling provide that Hodgson or Havili (for that matter) don't??
Your not getting it all and I’m over trying to explain it.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:Tim Sheens is at the Origin of Canberra Raiders ripples

Like a rock dropped in Lake Burley Griffin, ripples from the 1989 Green Machine are still being felt in State of Origin. The Raiders players that day have now coached 67 Origin matches.

"I don't know what you could put it down to," Ricky Stuart said. "Maybe the education we got under Tim Sheens here as a head coach. We were very fortunate. He was a very thorough coach, he was a great innovator and he never stood still, Tim.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... r-ripples/
I reckon we’ll say the same thing about Craig Bellamy in thirty years.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I don’t think it’d be surprising to see Cronk, Smith, Slater in coaching roles
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Listening to Cronk talk about Origin and RL in general has me thinking he has a great footy brain.

He was on NRL360 a couple of nights ago..very smart operator..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:I don’t think it’d be surprising to see Cronk, Smith, Slater in coaching roles
To go with Kearney, Maguire etc
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gallery: No rest for the Raiders during 'Bye week': https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... -bye-week/
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

Was sad to see the gnome leave when he did but both the troll and the midget are great backups for hodgo. As much as midg plays above his weight u need a troll for the heat in darwin i reckon

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The focus for Canberra Raiders half Jack Wighton turns to Parramatta Eels

Jack Wighton's Canberra teammates expect the Blues centre to continue his red-hot form when he re-joins the side later this week ahead of their clash with Parramatta in Darwin.

"I had all the confidence with him playing there, you can put him anywhere in that backline and he'd do a job," Elliott Whitehead said. "He got the ball and ran hard and had some good carries and some tough yardage gains there but I'm sure now he'll just be focusing on doing the job for us against Parramatta."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/24/wit ... s-to-eels/

Wighton the 'most versatile' player in NRL: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/wighton-th ... 2e8e99e0ba

VIDEO: Whitehead: Jack did a great job for the Blues: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... the-blues/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: June 21, 2019, 4:42 pm Gallery: No rest for the Raiders during 'Bye week': https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... -bye-week/
Good to see the boys working hard.

Especially those boys who were carrying injury which forced them out of Test duty.. :hi
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Call for Canberra Raiders to match Jack Wighton's energy

Jack Wighton will bounce back to the Canberra Raiders on a State of Origin high, but Elliott Whitehead warns his teammates they need to match the NSW Blues centre's energy.

"He'll come back bouncing into our group. But we need to have that energy ourself this week and he needs to feel that coming in here. We can't go off his energy, we've got to build our own.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders wary of returning representative Parramatta Eels, including old mate, Junior Paulo

The Canberra Raiders are preparing for a representative round backlash, including from their old mate Junior Paulo.

"I watched him for a bit. He played well for Samoa, made some tough carries as well," Elliott Whitehead said. "I think he scored a try as well. He'll be full of confidence.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: June 24, 2019, 2:54 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 21, 2019, 4:42 pm Gallery: No rest for the Raiders during 'Bye week': https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... -bye-week/
Good to see the boys working hard.

Especially those boys who were carrying injury which forced them out of Test duty.. :hi
:lol:
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

I would leave Papalii at home. He doesn’t need to travel to Darwin.

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

1. Nicol-Klokstad
2. Simmonson
3. Croker
4. Oldfield (Cotric)
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
17. Sutton
9. Hodgson
10. Lui
11. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Horsburgh
10. Papalii

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

RTW wrote: June 24, 2019, 7:18 pm I would leave Papalii at home. He doesn’t need to travel to Darwin.

The Eels are no easy beats, more than capable of stuffing us over if our pack gets beat. And without Papa at prop our pack quite plainly does not have a single, proven high quality yardage prop. We need Papa.

We don't play a lot of footy for a stretch here. We need the points and momentum.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

BadnMean wrote:
RTW wrote: June 24, 2019, 7:18 pm I would leave Papalii at home. He doesn’t need to travel to Darwin.

The Eels are no easy beats, more than capable of stuffing us over if our pack gets beat. And without Papa at prop our pack quite plainly does not have a single, proven high quality yardage prop. We need Papa.

We don't play a lot of footy for a stretch here. We need the points and momentum.

I agree. Let him play, hopefully he has a point to prove.

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Dusty wrote: June 24, 2019, 8:00 pm
BadnMean wrote:

I agree. Let him play, hopefully he has a point to prove.

Totally agree. We're playing a top eight team who we want to keep well behind us AND the team above us plays the best team in the comp, giving us a red-hot chance to leap them. This is a big game.

Besides, Papa backed up amazingly two days after Origin I and he'll have almost a whole week this time. And then two weeks off.

Absolutely no need to rest him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders boosted by Josh Hodgson's return for Parramatta Eels clash

Josh Hodgson has been given the thumbs up to play the Parramatta Eels. Hodgson has missed the past three NRL games after he broke his thumb against the North Queensland Cowboys, but he'll take on the Eels in Darwin on Saturday.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

RTW wrote:I would leave Papalii at home. He doesn’t need to travel to Darwin.

He has the bye next week..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@RaidersPathways on Twitter.

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders Aidan Sezer, Elliott Whitehead and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad as they prepare for the clash with the Parramatta Eels in Darwin! WIN News Canberra reports: http://ow.ly/ik7N50uLmZ0

#NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I just rang Papa, he's ready to go and wouldn't dream of resting...