Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Jarrod Croker

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: June 17, 2019, 5:49 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 17, 2019, 5:37 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 17, 2019, 5:14 pm I can see why NSW has not selected Croker. They have generally gone for a different sort of player (big, power runners), and he has had defensive issues at times, but these are seriously overstated. His form just prior to Origin I wasn’t great this year either.

However, to suggest he’s not amongst the best centres in the game, at least not in the top third of the pack... it is ludicrous IMO. There are suggestions here that he shouldn’t even be playing first for the Raiders or he should be ‘let go’. That is simply ridiculous IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GE - just between you and me, if I was given the task of Raiders selector for the next game I would be throwing the number 3 jumper to J Croker and leaving the (c) beside his name and giving him the kicking tee. He is the best option we have available for selection at the moment and he isn’t horribly out of form.

I’ve probably been a bit antagonist on the whole issue but it just irks me that JC has somehow reached a status where his position is beyond questioning.

I do get that he has been great for the club for a long time and maybe clubs need a core of supporters blindly devoted to their players but there needs to be some level of objectivity about the whole debate.

I’ve probably said more than enough on the whole debate today but I won’t apologise for questioning the form or selection of any player where warranted and I’m not alone in asking questions about whether Croker is the long term option. It’s the reaction of being shouted down for even mentioning the thought that makes me go harder at the issue than possibly warranted.

Anyway - it’s all good fun and promise I won’t be disappointed if he does end up holding the premiership trophy aloft this year (unless it because we traded him before the cutoff - that would be awkward!)
Woah billy! Don’t back down now, you big coward

Go through the list and tell me the names.
Piggy I read the back n forth spats you have with others on here and I hate to break it to you but they are really tedious. I’m not saying you’re arguments are boring.... but ... well they are.

I’ve got a few things to do, but you keep posting and I promise if I’m having trouble sleeping tonight I’ll come back and catch up on your posts 😉
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sid wrote: June 17, 2019, 3:45 pm And the Blues have a 37% winning record in that time period.. they could do with a player that has a 47% win record
:lol:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Well, credit to Billy Walker for maintaining the vitriol against Toots while our two other centres are out injured

That's dedication to the cause. Credit where it's due.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: June 17, 2019, 5:57 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 17, 2019, 5:14 pm I can see why NSW has not selected Croker. They have generally gone for a different sort of player (big, power runners), and he has had defensive issues at times, but these are seriously overstated. His form just prior to Origin I wasn’t great this year either.

However, to suggest he’s not amongst the best centres in the game, at least not in the top third of the pack... it is ludicrous IMO. There are suggestions here that he shouldn’t even be playing first for the Raiders or he should be ‘let go’. That is simply ridiculous IMO.

GE - just between you and me, if I was given the task of Raiders selector for the next game I would be throwing the number 3 jumper to J Croker and leaving the (c) beside his name and giving him the kicking tee. He is the best option we have available for selection at the moment and he isn’t horribly out of form.

I’ve probably been a bit antagonist on the whole issue but it just irks me that JC has somehow reached a status where his position is beyond questioning.

I do get that he has been great for the club for a long time and maybe clubs need a core of supporters blindly devoted to their players but there needs to be some level of objectivity about the whole debate.

I’ve probably said more than enough on the whole debate today but I won’t apologise for questioning the form or selection of any player where warranted and I’m not alone in asking questions about whether Croker is the long term option. It’s the reaction of being shouted down for even mentioning the thought that makes me go harder at the issue than possibly warranted.

Anyway - it’s all good fun and promise I won’t be disappointed if he does end up holding the premiership trophy aloft this year (unless it because we traded him before the cutoff - that would be awkward!)

Piggy I read the back n forth spats you have with others on here and I hate to break it to you but they are really tedious. I’m not saying you’re arguments are boring.... but ... well they are.

I’ve got a few things to do, but you keep posting and I promise if I’m having trouble sleeping tonight I’ll come back and catch up on your posts 😉
A simple
“Yeah, you were right, I kind of **** up here” would have sufficed
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Is Billy related to afftgx ?

4-0

All own goals
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

PigRickman wrote: June 17, 2019, 6:03 pm

A simple
More ducking and weaving than Pernell Whitaker.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

PigRickman wrote: A simple
The ironing is delicious
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Northern Raider wrote: June 17, 2019, 6:16 pm
PigRickman wrote: June 17, 2019, 6:03 pm

A simple
More ducking and weaving than Pernell Whitaker.

Ahhhh sweet pea, what a talent !
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Johno wrote: June 17, 2019, 6:06 pm Is Billy related to afftgx ?

4-0

All own goals
You gotta wonder! He's getting as bad as alphabet soup with Sezer!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

yeh raiders wrote: June 17, 2019, 5:49 pm How on earth does anyone come to the conclusion that potentially moving on the 3rd best centre at this club is “ridiculous”?

We can’t keep everyone and we’re obviously battling to keep Jordan Rapana who is an elite level winger.

If it’s between the 2 of them for cap space .... who are we going to miss ? I’ll give you the drum, it’s Jordan Rapana every day of the week.

We haven’t won a premiership in 25 years and we need every advantage we can get.
We seem to be fitting Jordan Rapana, Joey Leilua, Jarrod Croker and Nick Cotric into the backline now... when all are fit... quite well. I don't agree that Croker is the "third best" centre. He is top class, one of the top pointscorers in the competition, he's regularly amongst the top try scorers as well. And our captain. It is mind boggling to me, that people keep wanting to shift Croker to wing or worse.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

exactly. the idea that we cant fit everyone in is a total fallacy and a red herring.
Our best backline is CNK, Cotric, Croker, Beej, Rapana... we dont need to change anything on that front.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

PigRickman wrote: June 17, 2019, 3:54 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 17, 2019, 8:30 am I have him in the middle of the pack of centres across the NRL...
Granted this list is from a few weeks ago, provided by Julian...

The centers in the NRL last week were: Jennings, Hoffman, Whare, Blake, Walker, Parker, Arthars, Kelly, Hunt, Ramien, Tupou, Mitchell, Croker, Cotric, O’Neill, Opacic, Hiku, Herbert, Staggs, Shibasaki, Lowe, Gagai, Momirovski, Marsters, Montoya, Hopoate, Chambers, Seve, Aitken, Lafai, Xerri and Morris.

That's 32 centres... Middle of the road... find me the 16 better than him.
If we were playing a GF against Melbourne tomorrow I'd take:
Jennings
Manu
Mitchell
Marsters
Cotric
Chambers
Morris
Hopoate (maybe)

Then there are a few like Xerri and Arthars who are up and coming. A few others like Lafai, Blake and Ramian who are at a similar level. So I do think middle of the pack is fair but possibly more towards 10th or 12 best than 20th.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Haha there’s no WAY I’d take Morris or Hopoate over Croker and I have a very good friend who is a Storm fan who can’t STAND Will Chambers, he’d trade him for Croker in a second
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Even if i give you all of those, every single one... and i would argue VERY Strongly against Marsters who is just OK, and Hopoate who's been trash since he returned from his mission... With time he could be but he isnt now... that's 8 names... of 32. That's sure as **** doesnt feel like someone that deserves the **** he cops from his own fans imo
Last edited by Botman on June 17, 2019, 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wow! I'm stunned by some of the names on Roger's list.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Cotric and BJ are better centres than Croker. Cotric’s stocks are rising with every game he plays.

And it’s not a red herring at all, we’re at a genuine risk of losing Jordan Rapana.

CNK and Simonnson will be asking for more $$ soon enough, only short sightedness would cause someone to overlook that. Last I check Simonnson was on a 1 year “development” deal. He’s developing into a serious player.

As far as I’m concerned, we have an oversupply of first grade centres for 2020. If we can keep them all, great. But if Rapana is cut because of it, we’re making a big error.
Last edited by yeh raiders on June 17, 2019, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:Even if i give you all of those, every single one... and i would argue VERY Strongly against Marsters who is just OK, and Hopoate who's been trash since he returned from his mission... that's 8 names... of 32. That's sure as **** doesnt feel like someone that deserves the **** he cops from his own fans imo
Well, last time I checked, half of 32 is 9, so 9th spot must make him *checks notes* middle of the pack

Case closed
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Half of 32 is nine?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Good grief, dubby

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

i mean even Cotric, he's had about 2 games there, i love the guy to death but is he a better centre right now than Croker? I dont think so.

As for the risks of losing Rapana, there is no reason to fear that, we should have no problems retaining him, if he's not retained it will be because the club feels a 30 year old winger who's struggled with injuries isnt worth the money offered. Nothing to do with Croker.

I dont want to speak ill of the man, because he plays with so much damn heart but CNK will need to develop some ball playing before im worried about paying him more. If Simonsson wants more money he can find it at another club, and we'll roll with Seb Kris. You dont move on players like Croker to keep good back ups.

Red herrings all over the place. The club's two best centres are Beej and Croker. They're both top 6-8 centres in the game. And we have the best wing pairing in the world. We're doing fine here guys.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

The Rickman wrote: June 17, 2019, 7:07 pm Haha there’s no WAY I’d take Morris or Hopoate over Croker and I have a very good friend who is a Storm fan who can’t STAND Will Chambers, he’d trade him for Croker in a second
I can't stand him either, it is debateable as he has fallen away the past couple of seasons. 0 try causes 13 games into the season is pretty amazing for a centre though.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... geNumber=4

I'd consider Hoppa based on defence for a one off match. During an entire season I'd have Croker over him.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on June 17, 2019, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

greeneyed wrote: June 17, 2019, 7:08 pm Wow! I'm stunned by some of the names on Roger's list.
Where do you rank Croker in the scheme of things?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mitchell is way out in front at his best, but he's quite inconsistent. Then I'd have Croker in the top group, along with Manu, Chambers and Leilua, maybe Gagai or Jennings.

James Roberts and Josh Morris might have made it in the past, but not these days. Hopoate and Marsters no way, and Cotric has played less than a handful of games at centre.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 17, 2019, 7:03 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 17, 2019, 8:30 am I have him in the middle of the pack of centres across the NRL...

The centers in the NRL last week were: Jennings, Hoffman, Whare, Blake, Walker, Parker, Arthars, Kelly, Hunt, Ramien, Tupou, Mitchell, Croker, Cotric, O’Neill, Opacic, Hiku, Herbert, Staggs, Shibasaki, Lowe, Gagai, Momirovski, Marsters, Montoya, Hopoate, Chambers, Seve, Aitken, Lafai, Xerri and Morris.

Jennings
Manu
Mitchell
Marsters
Cotric
Chambers
Morris
Hopoate (maybe)

Then there are a few like Xerri and Arthars who are up and coming. A few others like Lafai, Blake and Ramian who are at a similar level. So I do think middle of the pack is fair but possibly more towards 10th or 12 best than 20th.
Jennings - I thought we were concerned about Croker's defense? Jennings maybe 6 years ago when his explosiveness could compensate for errors on both sides of the ball.
Manu - He's a good solid centre. Would have him on par with Croker but after yesterday he might be better at fullback.
Mitchell - Best in the game so a no brainer.
Marsters - Hell no. Where did that come from?
Cotric - Superstar but not enough play at centre to make a proper comparison.
Chambers - One of the best centres for a while now. Still has his moments. Penchant for random kicks ahead when he finds space.
Morris - Proved in Origin 1 he's still got plenty to offer. No idea why they dropped him.
Hopoate - Sorry no. Thats just taking the piss. Ask any Dog's fan if they would swap Hoppa for Croker and it would be almost unanimous.
Xerri - Promising yes but got shown up big time last week before going off.
Arthars - Based on what? Brian Kelly is better than him.
Lafai - You're having a Laf
Blake - Talk about rocks or diamonds. Poor mans BJ.
Ramian - Solid player but I'm not getting the hype. Strong ball carrier but limited skill sets beyond that.

Off that list I'll give you Mitchell, Chambers, Morris as no brainers and possibly Manu. Cases can be made for Cotric, Xerri and Ramien. At worst that puts Croker 8th. By way of comparison the NRL Player's poll has Croker rated 2nd behind Mitchell.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 17, 2019, 7:03 pm

Jennings
Manu
Mitchell
Marsters
Cotric
Chambers
Morris
Hopoate (maybe)

Obviously this is subjective, but here's my say on that list:

- Jennings is past it. Still FG grade quality, but no longer gets considered for Origin for a reason. Even when Daley was coach, he seemed to only want to pick players with Origin experience rather than rookies regardless of form, and look how that turned out for him. Freddy comes in with 11 debutants in form and wins the series first go. Jennings was living on the same reputation as Sharon Woods, Josh Jackson, Josh Dugan, etc. Over-rated has-beens.

- Manu is an up and comer, but no way is he better than Croker at this very early stage of his career.

- Mitchell I'll pay. Can't stand the guy, but he's practically the second coming of GI, if not better at this stage of his career. He could almost single-handedly win a GF for you if he wanted to.

- Masters is in the ilk of Waqa Blake. Can do some freakish things, but is inconsistent. He may end up a world-beater like BJ, but no way is he better than Croker right now.

- Cotric is a gun, but is literally a couple of games into his centre career. He doesn't have the runs on the board yet.

- Chambers I'll pay based on career achievements thus far. Not a big fan of the bloke. Stronger defensively than Croker.

- Morris is past it for the most part. No way I'd have him over a Croker. I think he's a better winger anyway.

- Hopoate has been trash since coming back from his mission, as Pigman correctly pointed out. Like Foran, he's no doubt talented but a shadow of his former self. Definitely not better than Croker.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I agree with GE
I’ve got Latrell way out in front, with Beej, Chambers probably next up, and Manu, Croker, Morris, Jennings all sort of pumped in together and I wouldn’t argue too much either way on those and where they rank probably comes down to form at the time of the rankings

Chambers gets the nod because his pedigree and at his best he’s very good. And QLD gagai would be top 4 too, club gagai is closer to bottom 3 than top 3 haha
He’s such a weird player
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

No, Kris and Oldfield are good backups.

Simonnson’s proving himself to be a very astute purchase and at 21 years of age, having spent the majority of his recent years playing a different rugby code, he’s someone I’d be backing. Hasn’t looked out of place at all.

CNK I can somewhat agree with. Yes he needs to improve his ball playing, but alternatively who are we going to upgrade him with? He came here as a reserve grader and is close to the buy of the season.

And it’s literally taken Cotric only a couple of games at centre to get an origin call up and prove himself a better player than Croker.

Head to head Pig, if there was one spot at centre available - I don’t think you’d actually pick Croker ahead of Cotric in your team.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

I think Jennings has been back in some really good form this year. Considering attack and defense this season I'd give him the edge.

Marsters I'm probably wrong. He has been great for the Kiwis but he never hits those highs for the Tigers consistently.

Hopoate I'm happy for those who watch more Bulldogs matches to overrule me.

No way Croker is in that top list GE. Think of it this way -do any opposition plan extensively to exploit weaknesses of those top tier centres you named? I'd say by and large no. I think the work opposition teams do isolating players on the fringes of our left edge it's a huge part of how they plan to exploit our defence.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: June 17, 2019, 7:45 pm No, Kris and Oldfield are good backups.

Simonnson’s proving himself to be a very astute purchase and at 21 years of age, having spent the majority of his recent years playing a different rugby code, he’s someone I’d be backing. Hasn’t looked out of place at all.

CNK I can somewhat agree with. Yes he needs to improve his ball playing, but alternatively who are we going to upgrade him with? He came here as a reserve grader and is close to the buy of the season.

And it’s literally taken Cotric only a couple of games at centre to get an origin call up and prove himself a better player than Croker.

Head to head Pig, if there was one spot at centre available - I don’t think you’d actually pick Croker ahead of Cotric in your team.
Do you believe Cotric got selected on the wing for Origin because of his 2 games at centre or for his previous 2 seasons playing wing (outside Croker)?

Hint, he was 18th man for the Blues last year and one of the players in front of him was unavailable for Game 1 this year.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

yeh raiders wrote: June 17, 2019, 7:45 pm No, Kris and Oldfield are good backups.

Firstly, we’re not in that position
Secondly, as a centre I absolutely would pick Croker right now
Thirdly, it’s not a choice between those two, it’s a choice between Croker and Simmonson and Croker wins comfortably
Fourthly, Cotric is a winger and was picked for rep duty as a winger, and is one of the best wingers in the game, and despite my early concerns appears more than happy to be a winger
Fifthly, Beej is off with a neck injury, which as I understand it, and i maybe wrong as I’m not a doctor, but my wife is and she tells me necks are pretty important, so I’m not going to worry too much about this situation until I see how Beej comes back. Neck injuries have ended a lot of careers early
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Dunno, ask Freddie. All I know is he lifted another level when he was picked at centre.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

We have the second best defence in the league, are in the top four, Croker has scored nearly half our team's total points and is our top try scorer, and has come up with some clutch plays to win a few of our matches this year (be it intercepts, goal kicks, one-on-one strips, etc). He's not as big a problem to this team and our results as some are making out.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: June 17, 2019, 7:52 pm Dunno, ask Freddie. All I know is he lifted another level when he was picked at centre.
Take a wild guess then. Please take note of the hint I provided.

Another hint. Cotric got picked on the wing, not centre. This is despite NSW needing a right centre to replace James Roberts.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Finchy wrote:We have the second best defence in the league, are in the top four, Croker has scored nearly half our team's total points and is our top try scorer, and has come up with some clutch plays to win a few of our matches this year (be it intercepts, goal kicks, one-on-one strips, etc). He's not as big a problem to this team and our results as some are making out.
Goodness that last sentence jars with that paragraph.

Look guys we’re killing it. He’s a huge reason why we’re killing it... but he’s not our biggest problem right now.

Seriously people. What the ****
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: June 17, 2019, 7:57 pm
yeh raiders wrote: June 17, 2019, 7:52 pm Dunno, ask Freddie. All I know is he lifted another level when he was picked at centre.
Take a wild guess then. Please take note of the hint I provided.

Another hint. Cotric got picked on the wing, not centre. This is despite NSW needing a right centre to replace James Roberts.
Ok. Cause the bloke’s a gun and proved he could play elite quality football out of position for the last few seasons, before going another level at centre and further proving himself one of the game’s brightest young talents.