15%
Sharks 13+
8%

Total votes: 13

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

BadnMean wrote: Sezer face slap wasn't worth a report so can't be a penalty.
... awarded by the video referee.

No excuse for the on field refs not penalising a blatant hit to the face.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

How good does it feel right this minute to be a Raiders fan?

Im loving it, feels good as I knock back a few coronas
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

9&5

I'd taken that back in March before kickoff.

We'll get Hodgo, Redhorse, Hudson and Cotric back soon enough and possibly BJ.

It's a sweet position to be in...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Hopefully by round 16 we are 10 and 5 with the bye sitting on 22

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Johno wrote: June 14, 2019, 6:11 pm How good does it feel right this minute to be a Raiders fan?

Im loving it, feels good as I knock back a few coronas
It's pretty good ay

The only problem I'm having now is not letting myself get carried away

I will surely fail at this feat, but oh well.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

dubby wrote: June 14, 2019, 2:47 pm Sezer didn't deserve a penalty for that "high shot ", neither was Fifita for the "shoulder charge".

But, the sharks were offside a lot and getting away with a lot in the ruck

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app

powered by Tapatalk
Funny , brooks just got slapped in the face similar to Sezer and got a penalty 🙄
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

kiwi raider wrote: June 14, 2019, 12:25 pm I don't think Fifita should have been penalised but i'm not sure there needed to be a penalty against us either as nothing really came of CNK running in apart from a bit of push and shove, I suppose since it stopped the game the Refs had to rule one way or another
Really not sure why Bateman was penalised for his stoush with Gallen either, Gallen started it and all Bateman did was a nothing push back, again I reckon the refs could have just told them to both cut it out and moved on without even stopping play

The main issues were the refereeing of the 10 metre rule(prior in particular ended up just about level with play the ball before we had even cleared the ball from the ruck a few times and Cronulla were taking the piss with how long they were holding down, midway through the first half after a turnover with the sharks backtracking Cotric was hung on to for an age, Brailey also multiple times lay over the tackled player way to long.
Plenty of players have been whacked in the face like Sezer was and been given a penalty. I think his reaction was as much about Cronulla's ongoing ability to wrestle in the ruck and stand offside for much of the game. There is no way we got the same latitude as they did in the ruck over the entire match. Not a chance.

Fifita was being his usual dirty, bottom dwelling pig of a human self the entire night. Our reaction to him beaching himself like a demented whale all over Sezer was a build up of frustration in response to his borderline behaviour all night. It was harsh for CNK to be penalised for coming in, especially after Gallen got the worlds softest penalty against Bateman when Gallen himself lashed out in response to a good tackle.

Every now and again I can have a whinge about the reffing. Sometimes on reflection there is a bit of bias, but on Thursday night our boys had every right to be frustrated in how much latitude Cronulla were given after their inital 5 penalty burst.

Credit to our boys for composing themselves just enough to bring it home, but it was a seriously frustrating game to watch.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

gangrenous wrote: June 14, 2019, 6:07 pm
BadnMean wrote: Sezer face slap wasn't worth a report so can't be a penalty.
... awarded by the video referee.

No excuse for the on field refs not penalising a blatant hit to the face.
Yeah, he clearly was hit in the chops. Wasn't particularly hard, but it was high and careless. That penalty gets blown more times than not.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Seiffert82 wrote:
kiwi raider wrote: June 14, 2019, 12:25 pm I don't think Fifita should have been penalised but i'm not sure there needed to be a penalty against us either as nothing really came of CNK running in apart from a bit of push and shove, I suppose since it stopped the game the Refs had to rule one way or another
Really not sure why Bateman was penalised for his stoush with Gallen either, Gallen started it and all Bateman did was a nothing push back, again I reckon the refs could have just told them to both cut it out and moved on without even stopping play

The main issues were the refereeing of the 10 metre rule(prior in particular ended up just about level with play the ball before we had even cleared the ball from the ruck a few times and Cronulla were taking the piss with how long they were holding down, midway through the first half after a turnover with the sharks backtracking Cotric was hung on to for an age, Brailey also multiple times lay over the tackled player way to long.
Plenty of players have been whacked in the face like Sezer was and been given a penalty. I think his reaction was as much about Cronulla's ongoing ability to wrestle in the ruck and stand offside for much of the game. There is no way we got the same latitude as they did in the ruck over the entire match. Not a chance.

Fifita was being his usual dirty, bottom dwelling pig of a human self the entire night. Our reaction to him beaching himself like a demented whale all over Sezer was a build up of frustration in response to his borderline behaviour all night. It was harsh for CNK to be penalised for coming in, especially after Gallen got the worlds softest penalty against Bateman when Gallen himself lashed out in response to a good tackle.

Every now and again I can have a whinge about the reffing. Sometimes on reflection there is a bit of bias, but on Thursday night our boys had every right to be frustrated in how much latitude Cronulla were given after their inital 5 penalty burst.

Credit to our boys for composing themselves just enough to bring it home, but it was a seriously frustrating game to watch.
Good post Chachi

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 15, 2019, 4:22 am
Every now and again I can have a whinge about the reffing.
And if everyone did this the same way you did, we wouldn’t have a problem!
Every now and again people can and are probably warranted in having a gripe with officiating

The problem is this fan base, and as an extension, this site, have a major inferiority complex and it’s not every now and again, it is, quite very literally EVERY single week with a lot of posters

Which really takes the credibility away as a fan base when we actually do have legitimate gripes
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Rickman wrote:
Hazza wrote: June 14, 2019, 8:45 am
The Rickman wrote: June 13, 2019, 10:23 pm We’ve won three games without Hodgson, one against one of the best teams in the comp. that was simply unthinkable last season.

It’s about times our fans started to enjoy our season for what it is
Yeah imagine this time last year being disappointed with playing to about 60% of our capacity and still beating a top 8/possible top 4 team, and being 3rd on the ladder with a bye up our sleeve. I guess it's a sign of how far we've come. That's where we have to get to though isn't it. Standards are rising. The storm wouldn't have been happy with the last 60 last night if that was them.
Yeah, but the Storm have off games too, and they still more often than not find a way to win those off games. That's what good teams do.

As I said, last night's game does so much more for the attitude and learning of this team than if they'd won 40-nil. Just wish some of our fans got that too.
I think that most fans get that, but still have a right to unhappy with the overall performance.

I hope that Sticky went in there and tore them a new a-hole. You know Bellamy would have. Good teams find ways to win ugly, but still hold themselves accountable to playing poorly. That's what we as a fan group should expect.

Sezer copped an accidental poke in the eye. That's why he went down. That **** hurts.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Andrew McFadden interview on ABC Canberra Grandstand:

Thought the last 15 minutes was pretty good defensively, good start but lost the way a bit. A bit passive, more passive than they have been all season, in the first 20 minutes of the second half, found some more aggression, senior players important in that.

Cronulla for the last 10 years have been gritty, niggly, rough and tough sort of team. At full strength at the moment, coming off a good win. We were prepared to be niggled, we started well and fortunately they were a bit slow out of the gate. Tricky when both teams have a short turnaround.

Nick Cotric. How long he's out, will depend on how fast his rehab progresses. Good news its not likely to be long as feared.

Jack Wighton, plays physical style that suits Origin. I thought he added spark when he came on, hopefully he gets another chance.

How do you manage the bye next weekend? We've given the players three days off for a mental break. Will do some physical work next week, not tactics. Aim to freshen them mentally. Timely that we have a couple of byes the next month. Players like Nicoll-Klokstad in their first full season, important they get a spell.

Audio: https://www.abc.net.au/radio/canberra/p ... d/11193916

Now available.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

PigRickman wrote: June 15, 2019, 8:36 am
Every now and again people can and are probably warranted in having a gripe with officiating

The problem is this fan base, and as an extension, this site, have a major inferiority complex and it’s not every now and again, it is, quite very literally EVERY single week with a lot of posters

Which really takes the credibility away as a fan base when we actually do have legitimate gripes
Yeah, it does get a bit tedious.

I think there is some merit to the whole ''even up the penalty count by the end of the game'' discussion, which is an entirely frustrating phenomenon to watch when the opposition is clearly intent on slowing the play down and breaking early in defence most of the night. Thursday's game was a classic example of that. Sharks got pinged early and then the whistles were put in the pockets until much later in the game.

Anyway, we lost our **** for 40 minutes of that game and managed to claw it back at the end. Good result I guess.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Cappy interview basically said he wasn't happy with the aggression or intent coming off the bench. Fair enough, Sia didn't have a great start or a great game (defence was ok, runs lacked a but of impact), Lui didn't manage to stem the tide either. Both made an error from memory.

Guler and Starling didn't get much of a go until late so I think we can count them out of that comment.

From that I read that Hors will be back into the mix for his impact and aggro ASAP. I just wonder what that will do to the rest of the bench or starting lineups?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'm glad they're not happy.. our line speed was atrocious for the majority of that game

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Interesting comment regarding Nicoll-Klokstad needing a spell. It just looks like he has been a bit tired the last couple of weeks. The bye's have really come at a good time.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sharks only had 48% possession but scored 4 tries to our 3. Not surprised that fatigue will impact on the players and hopefully they enjoy the 3 days off. They've earned it. I'm glad we are getting 2 'bye' rounds over the next 3 weeks to allow the players to freshen up. No easy matches in the NRL and our final 5 games will be testament to that. Roosters, Storm, Sea Eagles, Sharks, Warriors.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: June 15, 2019, 1:50 pm Sharks only had 48% possession but scored 4 tries to our 3. Not surprised that fatigue will impact on the players and hopefully they enjoy the 3 days off. They've earned it. I'm glad we are getting 2 'bye' rounds over the next 3 weeks to allow the players to freshen up. No easy matches in the NRL and our final 5 games will be testament to that. Roosters, Storm, Sea Eagles, Sharks, Warriors.
If we win one or two of those games we probably make the eight but are really just making up numbers.

If we win three of those games we should be putting pressure on the top four but may need a bit of luck to get past the second week of finals.

If we win four or five of them - watch out - we are as good a chance as anyone!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

kona_dream wrote: June 15, 2019, 1:21 pm Interesting comment regarding Nicoll-Klokstad needing a spell. It just looks like he has been a bit tired the last couple of weeks. The bye's have really come at a good time.
I agree
Interesting but also makes sense
CNK does just an astounding level of work and this is not something he’s done at this level
Feels like he’s been constantly banged up too

He’s one tough hombre
Reckon I’ve had 2-4 major injury moments with him and he’s bounced back from it.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

One thing irt fatigue.

It's not just tackling that incurs fatigue. Having the ball but but getting the hell wrestled out of you while trying to play the ball really takes it out of a player, too.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 15, 2019, 11:45 am
PigRickman wrote: June 15, 2019, 8:36 am

Yeah, it does get a bit tedious.

I think there is some merit to the whole ''even up the penalty count by the end of the game'' discussion, which is an entirely frustrating phenomenon to watch when the opposition is clearly intent on slowing the play down and breaking early in defence most of the night. Thursday's game was a classic example of that. Sharks got pinged early and then the whistles were put in the pockets until much later in the game.

Anyway, we lost our **** for 40 minutes of that game and managed to claw it back at the end. Good result I guess.
Refs evening up the count is definitely a thing. Sometimes they forget though. I was waiting for it when we played Manly but it never happened. Had no issue with penalties we conceded but it felt like Manly were under far less scrutiny.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Time to vote for your favourite Canberra Raiders, #GreenNation! #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

NRL Team of the Week: Round 14 https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/16/cho ... -round-14/ via @NRL
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PODCAST: The Sunday Session with Craig Wing: Round 14: Craig Wing, Chris Kennedy and Kenny Scott are back to break down all the round 14 action. Wing has concerns about the Blues' seven changes, Scott says the Tigers' and Raiders' ability to claw out wins after conceding big leads is a sign of a steely new generation next: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/23/the ... me-of-all/
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

greeneyed wrote: June 14, 2019, 3:00 pm
Dusty wrote: June 14, 2019, 2:54 pm Was Bateman charged for a crusher tackle?

No.
What was Greg Alexander blowing up deluxe for then? I thought it looked minor, if anything, at the time. Now it turns out no charge to answer. Terrible punditry.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Greg Alexander doesn't like the Raiders... it is well known...
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Begbie wrote: June 16, 2019, 9:34 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 14, 2019, 3:00 pm
Dusty wrote: June 14, 2019, 2:54 pm Was Bateman charged for a crusher tackle?

No.
What was Greg Alexander blowing up deluxe for then? I thought it looked minor, if anything, at the time. Now it turns out no charge to answer. Terrible punditry.
Because he hates the Raiders, is a one-eyed flog, and uses any excuse to go after us.

His claim that because Sezer was on the ground he was "fair game" is particularly abhorrent.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sezer was fair game. I'd like to see more of those hits when people dive to the ground with a voluntary tackle. I'm not suggesting that Sezer did that, and the shoulder charge was a 50/50 call.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

As long as it's not in the head if you decide to flop on the ground, you are definitely fair game

If they just penalised it, as y'know it's in the rules and all..

The penalty against CNK was trigger happy as well, Klein was losing control of the game and he knew it

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: June 16, 2019, 10:58 pm Sezer was fair game. I'd like to see more of those hits when people dive to the ground with a voluntary tackle. I'm not suggesting that Sezer did that, and the shoulder charge was a 50/50 call.

He's not in any way "fair game" when he cops a forearm to the head, while lying on the ground, just "tackled", unprotected, after a shoulder charge. That's disgusting.

Usual disgusting tactics from the Sharks, and usual disgusting tactics from Fifita.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote: June 16, 2019, 10:58 pm Sezer was fair game. I'd like to see more of those hits when people dive to the ground with a voluntary tackle. I'm not suggesting that Sezer did that, and the shoulder charge was a 50/50 call.

He's not in any way "fair game" when he cops a forearm to the head, while lying on the ground, just "tackled", unprotected, after a shoulder charge. That's disgusting.

Usual disgusting tactics from the Sharks, and usual disgusting tactics from Fifita.
The NRL has got itself into this predicament with shoulder charges - who really knows what one is these days? Then Fifita launched at him on the ground, not high, after hitting him on the ground he did give Sezer a slight forearm to the face but I didn't think much of it. I seem to remember Fifita talking with Sezer directly afterwards and he (Sezer) didn't seem too bothered about it.

I thought the high tackle on Sutton was much worse, which wasn't penalised and the Sia not being penalised was ludicrous.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gallery: Around the ground: Raiders v Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... -v-sharks/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Canberra Raiders fans... time to vote BAILEY SIMONSSON! #NRL #WeAreRaiders #wearecbr

Choose the NRL Try of the Week for Round 14 https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/17/cho ... -round-14/ via @NRL
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

i had no problem with the Fifita tackle, and even less issues his follow up effort
You guys are **** nuts.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

No, I think you're **** nuts. All of you who think that was fine. What if Sezer didn't manage to get his arm up and Fifita's shoulder and arm connected with his head? Would it still have been "fair game" as Sezer was carried off Canberra Stadium in a stretcher?

Sezer didn't flop, he got hit hard and fell down, which does happen when a small player is hit by a large player. Before he could get up, Fifita flopped onto him. He wasn't given a chance. Perhaps that's a good thing because now imagine if Sezer had rolled over to get up and therefore didn't get his arm up, and Fifita's shoulder and arm impacted the back of his head and neck instead?

If someone is on the ground they are NOT fair game. Put your hands on them, maybe grab them, but not for swinging arms, shoulders, forearms. That kind of attitude is not only disgusting, it's going to get someone seriously injured or killed. The size and weight difference between Sezer and Fifita is enough to cause major damage.