Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart calls on Andrew Barr to build new Canberra stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: NRL says marquee content on table if Canberra builds stadium

Post by BJ »

-TW- wrote:Why would you have a dedicated priority light rail line, and then run buses down the same corridor?

That's just a waste of resources

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Yes you’re correct, but you’re missing one of the key design issues raised early in the projects design phase. Most other cities don’t run their Rail lines down the main city corridor road.

If the light rail can only move about 3,000 people an hour down to civic, that’s the same as a single lane of Northbourne ave. North Canberra and Gungahlin have over 100,000 potential residents to move around the city in peak hours. This light rail design was never going to meet this need. Even the ACT Government now say the project was primarily for property price growth not for actually transporting people.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-TW- wrote:Why would you have a dedicated priority light rail line, and then run buses down the same corridor?

That's just a waste of resources

Because there isn't enough space on the tram for everyone at the moment. Because some people don't want to catch a bus to a tram station, so they can catch the tram to civic so they can get off it and catch another bus to their destination. More importantly, to me at least, why change public transport in Tuggeranong when the tram has zero impact on services in that area. They've essentially made the bus network crap in other areas of Canberra because of a tram line that services 2 hubs while ignoring the other 3 hubs - but anyway this is probably for another thread.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

I think we should be concerned about the low crowd figures for Brumbies games –- averaging just over 8,000 people per game and last Friday was below 7,000.

That sort of thing threatens their viability and seeing as there's still no A League soccer side here, the justification for a new stadium is diminished. The best we might hope for is upgrades to GIO if things keep going badly.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL is serious about filling its footprint

No longer are the Raiders a club some NRL officials wish would just wither on the vine. NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg cares. In the past the fans haven't felt that way, instead believing the club has been neglected largely on account of its location.

"I think that's probably a fair criticism," Greenberg said. "I understand teams who aren't based in Sydney [who feel that way], and Ricky and I have had this discussion many times, feel like sometimes they don't get the same level of attention.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

yurithe1 wrote: May 26, 2019, 12:34 pm I think we should be concerned about the low crowd figures for Brumbies games –- averaging just over 8,000 people per game and last Friday was below 7,000.

That sort of thing threatens their viability and seeing as there's still no A League soccer side here, the justification for a new stadium is diminished. The best we might hope for is upgrades to GIO if things keep going badly.
I think the issue is Super Rugby in general. I've gone to a few Shute Shield games in Sydney this season and the grounds are buzzing - there is support for grassroots rugby union. But Super Rugby itself just doesn't seem to have the appeal it once did.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Brumbies will be lucky to survive the next 5 - 10 years. Maybe they'll call on the Vikings club to save them?

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’d rather watch paint dry than a game of Super Rugby.

But then again, I’m talking Dulux Weathershield paint in that Ironstone colour, so maybe I’m making an unfair comparison pitting Rugby against one of the more interesting paint blends.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:I’d rather watch paint dry than a game of Super Rugby.

But then again, I’m talking Dulux Weathershield paint in that Ironstone colour, so maybe I’m making an unfair comparison pitting Rugby against one of the more interesting paint blends.
In the early 2000s I'd drifted away from league, mainly because of the Superleague debacle and I was with friends at the Hellenic club watching the RWC. On the other screen was a Panthers game and I ended up watching that instead and haven't really watched rah rah since

Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

Regardless of your feelings on the code, something needs to save rugby union as a spectator sport - or the chances of the Civic stadium change from slim to none.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

I'm thinking of going to the Brumbies' final home game, but I'll need to check whether it clashes with the Raiders' game.

Heck, I'll even pay for my own ticket for a change, LOL. I've followed them since their first season, but I've only paid for a ticket twice in all that time. Freebies from the back of Black Thunder and other promos, guest of ticket holders, etc. I could have kept it down to only once, but I bought my ticket to the most recent Brumbies vs British Lions game a day before my best mate's wife scored free tickets through work.
Last edited by yurithe1 on May 27, 2019, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart calls on Andrew Barr to build new Canberra stadium

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart calls on Andrew Barr to build new Canberra Stadium

Canberra, the capital of Australia, and its people deserve a new stadium. And Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has called on ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr to make it happen.

"This would put Canberra, the nation's capital, into another level of living - having a stadium such as this quality. I really hope that, I think it's Andrew Barr our chief minister who's got to make these decision, I really hope that he does look fondly upon building this fairly soon. Our fans definitely need it.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart calls on Andrew Barr to build new Canberra stadium

Post by gerg »

There was an article during the week saying Barr was attending his first game at Bankwest stadium this weekend. A Brumbies game. Ricky could learn a thing or two from Barr, about shoving it in people's faces.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: June 8, 2019, 9:37 pm There was an article during the week saying Barr was attending his first game at Bankwest stadium this weekend. A Brumbies game. Ricky could learn a thing or two from Barr, about shoving it in people's faces.

Andrew Barr claims to be a Raiders supporter... but when was the last time he turned up at any Raiders function, match or any event whatsoever? I can recall him bandwaggoning in 2016 with the club on the way to the finals... when he brought out his "old" Raiders memorabilia. Probably from the last time he attended a Raiders match in the 1990s. He's clearly snubbed rugby league for a very long time.

Ricky was clearly very well aware Barr was going to the stadium tonight. That's why he made the comments and good on him too.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Just read the article. His comments on Channel 9 after the game were different. He said it 'was a political issue and he doubted a new stadium would be built in his lifetime'.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote:Just read the article. His comments on Channel 9 after the game were different. He said it 'was a political issue and he doubted a new stadium would be built in his lifetime'.

Huh?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Ricky's comments after the game on Channel 9. I think it was Gould asked him directly if a stadium like that would ever get built in Canberra. Ricky said probably not in my lifetime.

Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

gergreg wrote:Ricky's comments after the game on Channel 9. I think it was Gould asked him directly if a stadium like that would ever get built in Canberra. Ricky said probably not in my lifetime.

I think he actually said “not in my time”. I’m assuming that means his time as head coach, not lifetime. Ricky’s only 52, I don’t think we’ll have to wait another 30-40 years for a new stadium. Maybe 10-15 at the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Danaman137 wrote:
gergreg wrote:Ricky's comments after the game on Channel 9. I think it was Gould asked him directly if a stadium like that would ever get built in Canberra. Ricky said probably not in my lifetime.

I think he actually said “not in my time”. I’m assuming that means his time as head coach, not lifetime. Ricky’s only 52, I don’t think we’ll have to wait another 30-40 years for a new stadium. Maybe 10-15 at the most.

Ahh yes that was it, still his disappointment relating to the whole issue was evident.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Time for Andrew Barr to pull the trigger on funding a new Canberra Stadium in Civic

Ricky Stuart is in love with it. But will stadium No. 25 on a worldwide tour be the lucky one for ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr? Barr has been to about 25 stadiums in different countries to try to get the right vibe for reinvigorating Canberra's sporting landscape.

But even now there's still no clear vision for Canberra. There's no timeline. There's no investment. The only thing plainly obvious is Canberra Stadium is out of date and a venue in Civic is needed.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Haha...

25 venues huh. I guess one was the MCG (several times) one in Hobart and Launceston. Adelaide? Another Hawks away game, at another oval shaped venue, maybe? The SCG would have to be one, as well as the GWS ground... for research purposes! The AFL have played in NZ and China so you'd presume he had to investigate those stadiums as well. At least the Singapore one may be rectangular. Love to know exactly where these 25 stadiums are but when I do a quick Google search one of the top results is this classic article. This is the guy making this decision!

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/act ... tr5bm.html

FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Haha. Its no wonder he still doesnt have a vision yet. I think we should fund him to perform the torrid task of having to visit another 50 'stadiums' for inspiration
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

greeneyed wrote: June 10, 2019, 7:26 pm Time for Andrew Barr to pull the trigger on funding a new Canberra Stadium in Civic

Ricky Stuart is in love with it. But will stadium No. 25 on a worldwide tour be the lucky one for ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr? Barr has been to about 25 stadiums in different countries to try to get the right vibe for reinvigorating Canberra's sporting landscape.

But even now there's still no clear vision for Canberra. There's no timeline. There's no investment. The only thing plainly obvious is Canberra Stadium is out of date and a venue in Civic is needed.

There are junkets, and then there are junkets. That is definitely the latter.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Andrew Barr's challenge to fast-track new Canberra Stadium: "I still believe in stadium"

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr says "sensible commercial negotiations" with the federal government can fast-track plans and funding for a new stadium in Canberra.

"We won't pay off the Mr Fluffy loan until 2024. The only way I can bring forward stadium infrastructure is if the Commonwealth [was] to forgive that Mr Fluffy loan. If there's a practical thing to assist us in bringing that new stadium forward, it would be to forgive that loan.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

So we’ll get a stadium when they get Mr Fluffy off the chain?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr says he'd like a bigger, better stadium for the capital as much as anyone else - but must prioritise hospitals, schools and transport

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr says the only way to bring forward a new Canberra Stadium - and a new home for the Canberra Raiders - would be for the Commonwealth to forgive the Mr Fluffy loan, which runs to 2024. His statement follows fresh calls from the Canberra Raiders for a new arena - sooner, rather than later, WIN News Canberra reports.

Video: http://ow.ly/U6rq50uB9qf
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:So we’ll get a stadium when they get Mr Fluffy off the chain?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Paid
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:VIDEO: ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr says he'd like a bigger, better stadium for the capital as much as anyone else - but must prioritise hospitals, schools and transport

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr says the only way to bring forward a new Canberra Stadium - and a new home for the Canberra Raiders - would be for the Commonwealth to forgive the Mr Fluffy loan, which runs to 2024. His statement follows fresh calls from the Canberra Raiders for a new arena - sooner, rather than later, WIN News Canberra reports.

He's full of ****.

Organised Chaos
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Organised Chaos »

gergreg wrote:
greeneyed wrote:VIDEO: ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr says he'd like a bigger, better stadium for the capital as much as anyone else - but must prioritise hospitals, schools and transport

He's full of ****.

Yep, trust this bloke less than just about any politician and that’s saying something considering the current state of Australian politics.

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart calls on Andrew Barr to build new Canberra stadium

Post by Sid »

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why a new stadium would 'put Canberra on the map'

The damp patches on the carpet near the player change rooms at Canberra Stadium are the first signs of age. Somehow the rain has leaked through the almost 50-year-old Meninga Stand and players have to dodge dripping water before running on to the field.

Canberra's premier sporting venue is old, rundown and in need of urgent repairs. But is Chief Minister Andrew Barr's vision to build a new stadium a pipe-dream, or a genuine plan for the future?

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14225
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I spoke to a mate based in CBR the other day and he said - "why on earth would we need a new stadium, we need to invest in cycling infrastructure and light rail first and a reasonable person would expect a 40 year old stadium to still be modern". I told him he is a fruitcake.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Cycling infrastructure? Canberra has the best cycleways in Australia by a mile. And we should wait and see how the first stage of light rail goes before committing to more.

Was the blokes name Andrew by chance.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

When the CT posted a link to that article on FB someone said they needed to invest in a new theatre first

Yes, a new theatre..

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Nah not Andrew, but it just shows how clueless some people are. Upgrade cycling infrastructure that is already ahead of most states when the stadium needs an update? yeah right...that's the thing with these sorts of pieces of infrastructure. They will always prove controversial - amazing the NSW government managed to get it off the ground for the SFS and Olympic stadium
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Well, the first thing we really need is a new hospital. But we needed that to be started ten years ago.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)