Canberra Raiders open Jordan Rapana contract talks ahead of his injury return

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He's back from injury, now the Canberra Raiders want to ensure New Zealand international Jordan Rapana remains in lime green beyond this season. The Raiders have opened contract extension talks with Rapana's management ahead of his return to the field against the Wests Tigers at Parramatta Stadium on Friday night.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Canberra Raiders open Jordan Rapana contract talks ahead of his injury return

Post by Billy Walker »

Not the best timing for Raps to be negotiating. Simmonsen showed brilliant form, Oldfield has been more than solid and apparently we just signed the world’s fastest man out of Qld. He’s been great but I wouldn’t be shocked if we offered him 1 year deal and I can’t see us going beyond two years. I don’t think we should be breaking the bank here and if he gets a big offer from another NRL club or England I would be very happy for him and wish him nothing but good luck if he took it. I hope he stays but I hope it’s on sensible $$.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: Canberra Raiders open Jordan Rapana contract talks ahead of his injury return

Post by Danaman137 »

2 years, 500-600k get it done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Out of curiosity what is the wage range for wingers? Can anyone suggest who would be the highest paid winger in the game and what’s he paid, what’s the average? And what’s a bargain basement price for a winger?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The range for starting NRL wingers would be 100-500k. I believe Fergo is the highest paid. Average is probably 300k.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

JordyRaps is a winner, another 2-3 years would be great.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Billy Walker wrote: June 9, 2019, 2:23 am Out of curiosity what is the wage range for wingers? Can anyone suggest who would be the highest paid winger in the game and what’s he paid, what’s the average? And what’s a bargain basement price for a winger?
I was being paid $300 a win playing for Dora Creek in the 1999 season..

I was a contracted player as well..$5k if I remember correctly.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: June 9, 2019, 2:23 am Out of curiosity what is the wage range for wingers? Can anyone suggest who would be the highest paid winger in the game and what’s he paid, what’s the average? And what’s a bargain basement price for a winger?
I was being paid $300 a win playing for Dora Creek in the 1999 season..

I was a contracted player as well..$5k if I remember correctly.
$25- a win in 97 Scorps reggies- free rego.
Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Clearly PJ was a better player than you but on that sort of cash he’s outed himself as the Fergo of Dora Creek! 😂
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

edwahu wrote: June 9, 2019, 6:53 am The range for starting NRL wingers would be 100-500k. I believe Fergo is the highest paid. Average is probably 300k.
Cheers - so would I be far off the mark to think our current crop of wingers would be in the range of:

Raps - $400
Cots - $300
Oldie -$130
Simo - $100
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

It was a $3K contract with the Swampies..not $5k.

My apologies.

Didn't win many games in 1999 either so the $300 a win deal didn't bear much fruit..

And boner..

You're a champion, Scorps are a great club..love that Lyall Peacock Field.

My old man played first grade in the mid 70s for Macquarie. I still remember being in the sheds with him and the team before kickoff..great times.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: June 9, 2019, 9:00 am
edwahu wrote: June 9, 2019, 6:53 am The range for starting NRL wingers would be 100-500k. I believe Fergo is the highest paid. Average is probably 300k.
Cheers - so would I be far off the mark to think our current crop of wingers would be in the range of:

Raps - $400
Cots - $300
Oldie -$130
Simo - $100
Close enough. Jordy could be on 500?
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Jordan Rapana's Canberra Raiders future in doubt with club facing salary cap squeeze

"There was an offer made to him. It was a pretty good offer and at the time they sort of hesitated, the Rapana camp," The Australian’s Brent Read says. "I think because Rapana didn't take that deal, maybe there's not as much money as there was when the deal was initially offered to him. That's the sticking point at the moment."

Read more: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... gwyjisjrdn
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I hope we can get a deal done, but as that article points out - there will be a bunch of players angling for contract upgrades, not least of all Nicoll-Klockstad in the near future, on top of Horsburgh.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Interesting that the article answers the question about origin bonuses- yes they do still exist and it even gives a 30k figure. Massive earner given the Origin match fees too!

The article kind of spells it out... We love Jordy and he loves the Raiders but he's a 29 year old winger who relies on speed and a kamikaze style... The club shouldn't be paying him over 500k. I think even 400k is more like it, 2 years. Or 1@450k if he wants to roll the dice again.

Otherwise we'll get a year or two out of Oldfield as solid service winger and Simonnson is looking very good. Cotric at centre is still in development.

The Leipana double act was rugby league magic and I'd love another year or two of it but this year has shown we can do well without it so shouldn't be afraid or held over for it.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'll wait for a better source tbh

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

There’s still Abbey to go off the books next year
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It's a worry if we are in cap trouble.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

We're in trouble if we ever rely on Abbey.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

BadnMean wrote:Interesting that the article answers the question about origin bonuses- yes they do still exist and it even gives a 30k figure. Massive earner given the Origin match fees too!

The article kind of spells it out... We love Jordy and he loves the Raiders but he's a 29 year old winger who relies on speed and a kamikaze style... The club shouldn't be paying him over 500k. I think even 400k is more like it, 2 years. Or 1@450k if he wants to roll the dice again.

Otherwise we'll get a year or two out of Oldfield as solid service winger and Simonnson is looking very good. Cotric at centre is still in development.

The Leipana double act was rugby league magic and I'd love another year or two of it but this year has shown we can do well without it so shouldn't be afraid or held over for it.
I don’t get clubs paying Origin bonuses. They get paid to play Origin, it’s double dipping
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

And don’t get me started on bonuses for playing for countries. Especially minnows...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

edwahu wrote: June 13, 2019, 7:12 pm It's a worry if we are in cap trouble.
We are ABSOLUTELY going to be in cap trouble in the near future, we have a stacked roster.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Rapana is asking for a lot of coin for a winger. As much as I like him we can’t pay what he wants and with Bailey rising up the ranks it might be better to let Jordan go elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Jordy. Mate. We're a chance at a prem over the next couple of years. Do yourself a favour and don't do a Shannon Boyd.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Sid wrote: June 13, 2019, 7:08 pm There’s still Abbey to go off the books next year
Club option he’s finished in Canberra.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

He always said he wanted to finish his career at the Gold Coast
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I suspect both Jordy and Sezer will be off the books next year and imagine we will likely need to offload some other talent as well. We aren’t far off a premiership at the moment but the roster does need some fine tuning to get us there.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Jordy is pretty important for us. It's not just the magic he produces. Since getting past his EDIT fingers stage, he's been pretty safe with ball in hand, does a lot of the hard work effectively coming out of our own end, is a reliable defender and does a lot of cover in defence. He's one of our more important players, but I take the point that he is ageing and that given his game is reliant on speed and physicality, there will an inevitable decline in his impact in the coming years.

I think a big question is what to do about the centre position. By the end of the year Cotric will have cemented himself as a quality centre. How do we squeeze him, Croker and BJ into 3 positions?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It's still unclear when BJ will be back and how the injury will impact him. I think he will be eased back in and then I suppose Cotric returns to the wing until one of the three leaves at the end of 2020.

Croker would be 31 at that point so most likely to leave of the 3 from a practical view point.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

edwahu wrote: June 15, 2019, 9:09 am It's still unclear when BJ will be back and how the injury will impact him. I think he will be eased back in and then I suppose Cotric returns to the wing until one of the three leaves at the end of 2020.

Croker would be 31 at that point so most likely to leave of the 3 from a practical view point.
He'd only be 30. It is funny to me we talk about moving Rapana on due to when he is only a year older than Croker. Got to wonder if Rapana had a point scoring record in play whether opinions around here would differ.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 15, 2019, 11:08 am
edwahu wrote: June 15, 2019, 9:09 am It's still unclear when BJ will be back and how the injury will impact him. I think he will be eased back in and then I suppose Cotric returns to the wing until one of the three leaves at the end of 2020.

He'd only be 30. It is funny to me we talk about moving Rapana on due to when he is only a year older than Croker. Got to wonder if Rapana had a point scoring record in play whether opinions around here would differ.
I certainly want him to stay. The club will make the right choice on what's too expensive as a share of the cap though. I'm confident that they've got some firm and sensible ideas on how much to invest in particular positions... given how they approached the props last year.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Is the points scoring record still realistic? Smith is +600 or so and won't retire until the end of next year. So Croker would likely have to have 4 mostly injury free years to definitely catch him.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

edwahu wrote: June 15, 2019, 11:39 am

Is the points scoring record still realistic? Smith is +600 or so and won't retire until the end of next year. So Croker would likely have to have 4 mostly injury free years to definitely catch him.
I don't think so unless he spends a couple of years hanging out on the wing as a shadow of himself like El Masri did towards the end. It would be cool if he can get to 150 tries.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 15, 2019, 12:29 pm

I don't think so unless he spends a couple of years hanging out on the wing as a shadow of himself like El Masri did towards the end. It would be cool if he can get to 150 tries.
I really don’t care about individual records. If your team hasn’t won jack for far too long is there really any comfort in pointing to some individual records?? For me Cotric stays at centre, hopefully BJ comes back stronger than ever and it’s thanks for the memories Croker!
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Billy Walker wrote: June 15, 2019, 2:07 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 15, 2019, 12:29 pm

I really don’t care about individual records. If your team hasn’t won jack for far too long is there really any comfort in pointing to some individual records?? For me Cotric stays at centre, hopefully BJ comes back stronger than ever and it’s thanks for the memories Croker!
I'd def have Rapana as a priority to retain over Croker. I'd be in the vast minority around here though.

One issue with BJ and Cotric is neither appear to be a natural left centre.