Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

dribble73
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Austin

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by dribble73 »

Ronny P wrote:I think him and Timoko have another year in 20’s.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
They do.

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Saw an article that mentions Ese’ese is potentially available... he’d look very good either starting next to Paps or leading the bench prop rotation.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Rickmando wrote:Saw an article that mentions Ese’ese is potentially available... he’d look very good either starting next to Paps or leading the bench prop rotation.
He’s be a great pickup, wasn’t he one of the first Knights buys? He’s be on a few $$$$
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think Lui is in the same class as what you could expect from Ese'ese now. Unless it's a elite talent I wouldn't be chasing a prop.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

With the team we have it's absurd to think we have any money to buy anyone of note...
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

I'm Bate Man wrote: June 14, 2019, 6:04 pm
Rickmando wrote:Saw an article that mentions Ese’ese is potentially available... he’d look very good either starting next to Paps or leading the bench prop rotation.
He’s be a great pickup, wasn’t he one of the first Knights buys? He’s be on a few $$$$
He’s been on the outer/fringe first grader this year. They’ve signed a lot of talent since he arrived - I don’t think he’d be commanding big bucks. But he could give you some big games in the course of a season.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

edwahu wrote: June 14, 2019, 6:10 pm I think Lui is in the same class as what you could expect from Ese'ese now. Unless it's a elite talent I wouldn't be chasing a prop.
For mine, he’s a couple of cuts above Lui, Sia and our young guns (although Horse is on a great trajectory). The old guys are journeymen, the kids unproven.

I think we have room for another above average prop in the rotation. Someone like him would make us a lot stronger in one move - all dependent on price point of course. Have to get him at value.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Lui is performing the job required of him and the young guys are progressing to the point where they'll probably usurp him this time next year. AFAIC, that's everything going exactly to plan and i wouldnt feel the need to bring in an Ese'ese type

If we're bringing in a forward, i dont think we should be looking to sacrifice a little depth like Lui and Sia (if his age finally catches up with him and he moves to an off the roster role in 2020) to obtain an elite talent to take our pack up and over the top rather than more good depth.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

PigRickman wrote: June 14, 2019, 8:01 pm Lui is performing the job required of him and the young guys are progressing to the point where they'll probably usurp him this time next year. AFAIC, that's everything going exactly to plan and i wouldnt feel the need to bring in an Ese'ese type

If we're bringing in a forward, i dont think we should be looking to sacrifice a little depth like Lui and Sia (if his age finally catches up with him and he moves to an off the roster role in 2020) to obtain an elite talent to take our pack up and over the top rather than more good depth.
Yes. I think Sutton will settle at "good solid prop" right where he is. He's not showing the signs of class Whitehead and Hodgo were in their first years.

Papa is high quality. Tapine as a middle has class but hasn't played a single excellent season overall yet. Good, potential but not excellent. Some of this is due to injury/suspension.

Hors looks likely but we still need to see. Guler and Young look ok but haven't shown as much as Hors. They could easily come up and do the Lui/Sia job at least in the next year or so.

Sia getting old and Lui is solid and effective at best, slightly pedestrian at worst.

We don't need a journeyman or solid FG'er. Every reason to think Hors, Guler, Young or Murchie can do that job next year, if not Sutton or Lui already.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I think Lui has been doing his job quite well this season and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Soliola drop out of the team before him
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

PigRickman wrote: June 14, 2019, 8:01 pm Lui is performing the job required of him and the young guys are progressing to the point where they'll probably usurp him this time next year. AFAIC, that's everything going exactly to plan and i wouldnt feel the need to bring in an Ese'ese type

If we had to move Soliola off the roster due to age, which could actually be a possibility... I wouldn't mind picking up somebody like Russell Packer provided it was at the right price. He's an older head and could be effective with his fitness right.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think people are writing off Sia Soliola a bit too soon. That mistake has been made before. He was supposedly too old three years ago.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yep, and if it wasn't for him no way we are 5-1 to start the year. He has had a slow month but he will come good.

His form this year is definitely streets ahead of Packer.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 15, 2019, 11:11 am I think people are writing off Sia Soliola a bit too soon. That mistake has been made before. He was supposedly too old three years ago.
agreed
i think Sia had a tough game but it was only a few weeks ago i was saying how important he was for our team. I dont think he's done yet but the post earlier from Julian really put into perspective his career, in year 15, he's very much a year by year proposition as to whether he wants to put his body through another year.

I dont think he's played a year too long and i dont think he's done yet, but after this long of rock hard footy, at 32, it wouldnt shock anyone if he retired end of this year.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:I think people are writing off Sia Soliola a bit too soon. That mistake has been made before. He was supposedly too old three years ago.
I've got a hunch Sia is carrying some injuries

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I don't think Russell Packer is the type of forward we are now looking for. We are after high mobility players who can play long minutes at FG level when required. It has worked for us this year and if interchanges are again reduced then we would be looking to buy/develop more of this type of forward.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

He sure isn’t.

No ****s thanks
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I've got it on good authority that Russell Packer is still an absolute **** of a human being, regardless of what fluff pieces have come out about him.

Definitely no thanks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: June 15, 2019, 6:27 pm I've got it on good authority that Russell Packer is still an absolute **** of a human being, regardless of what fluff pieces have come out about him.

Definitely no thanks.
I have no authority on this and i absolutely and completely buy this. His redemption arc never passed my (admittedly unreliable) sniff test. Every time i see him play or hear him speak, he just fits the bill of a total and utter ****.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

greeneyed wrote: June 15, 2019, 11:11 am I think people are writing off Sia Soliola a bit too soon. That mistake has been made before. He was supposedly too old three years ago.
I don't really know, because I'm thousands of miles away, but I reckon Sia's worth whatever he's paid in leadership alone.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

PigRickman wrote: June 15, 2019, 7:16 pm
afgtnk wrote: June 15, 2019, 6:27 pm I've got it on good authority that Russell Packer is still an absolute **** of a human being, regardless of what fluff pieces have come out about him.

Definitely no thanks.
I have no authority on this and i absolutely and completely buy this. His redemption arc never passed my (admittedly unreliable) sniff test. Every time i see him play or hear him speak, he just fits the bill of a total and utter ****.
Andrew Fifita category for mine. Absolute flog.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Sia was playing edge and all over 3 years ago and passed his sell by date on that well and truly. He had a renaissance when allowed to focus on the middle for a year and pre-season/shape solely for that role. He couldn't quite cut it on the edges anymore laterally.

He had a year as an effective mobile prop but hasn't been consistent in his play this year.

No one faults his courage but his job is to make yards on the hardest carries, lead line speed, smash blokes, make hi cover tackles and not make errors. Just lately his yard are down and the odd error. He's not the sole leader of our linespeed anymore, I'd say Whitehead, Bateman, Hors do that.

I'll give Sia a look after the break and see if he is rejuvenated. If so, great. Everybody wins.

If not... I don't have him in my top pack. At his best- he might hold out Young, Murchie and Hors or Lui for the rest of the year but a leaders real job is to develop other leaders and he'd be proud to have done that. We aren't a team that will fall in a heap if he's not on the park anymore. Papa has grown. Whitehead is immense, Bateman is here.

Club should employ him as a youth mentor/polynesian player/at risk player mentor- i believe he has obtained qualifications along these kind of social work lines.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Flanagan to Chooks. Could have been useful
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

sprintman wrote:Flanagan to Chooks. Could have been useful
It’s on a development promise that he can learn from Cronk before taking over his position. So I don’t think other clubs were really in with a shot.

Mind you, Roosters will dump Flanagan the second a better half comes on the market who considers the Roosters a suitable destination.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah he could have introduced Stick to some new vitamins to help the players with their rehab.
Pretty handy too with budget management, but I’d keep him away from excel and disable his email access
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

BJ wrote: June 17, 2019, 4:35 pm
It’s on a development promise that he can learn from Cronk before taking over his position. So I don’t think other clubs were really in with a shot.

Mind you, Roosters will dump Flanagan the second a better half comes on the market who considers the Roosters a suitable destination.
Like Lam Jr for Flanno Jr
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote: Mind you, Roosters will dump Flanagan the second a better half comes on the market who considers the Roosters a suitable destination.
As should any club with any player if they’re serious about winning the competition.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Matt wrote:
BJ wrote: June 17, 2019, 4:35 pm

Like Lam Jr for Flanno Jr
Lam Jr. More to that story then form. Wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up with his Dad at Wigan.

Flanno, no chance he would come here. Sticky and Shane Flanagan don’t really like each other.

In Ricky We Trust
DOGMAN
Gerry De La Cruz

Jake Connor Hull FC

Post by DOGMAN »

Jake Connor Hull FC

wow this lad can play, check him out, I have a strong feeling Jake will be a NRL player, but who will sign him , my guess is Rabbitohs, just a long shot

T_R
Don Furner

Re: Jake Connor Hull FC

Post by T_R »

DOGMAN wrote: June 18, 2019, 4:54 am Jake Connor Hull FC

wow this lad can play, check him out, I have a strong feeling Jake will be a NRL player, but who will sign him , my guess is Rabbitohs, just a long shot
Ooh! Ooh! Can I do it this time?

" Welcome to the forum, Mrs Connor! "

EDIT: Fairly decent highlights package, though.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I added in the highlights packages for Dogman.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

when you look at 2nd gen halves Jack Johns has fallen off the radar after being reasonably rated. I wasn't all that impressed with what I saw last year but he's got the best possible guidance and one guy I expect to bob up again.
Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:
DOGMAN wrote: June 18, 2019, 4:54 am Jake Connor Hull FC

Ooh! Ooh! Can I do it this time?

" Welcome to the forum, Mrs Connor! "

EDIT: Fairly decent highlights package, though.
Hahahahahaha I love this place
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Not Raiders related but it could easily have flow on effects. The Dogs are supposed to have offered Mitchell a 10 year, 11.5m dollar deal.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 64f2e8260e
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That story was put up 50 minutes ago according to Google... but it isn't there now.