Sharks 13+
8%

Total votes: 13

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Re: 2019 Rd 14 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Timbo »

I really don’t care if the video can or can’t look at it. I also don’t care if he tickled him with a **** feather. It was contact with the head in a tackle which is a penalty. And given the fact that Gallen got a penalty - which led directly to a try - for slapping Bateman whilst in possession, I’m pretty pissed off we didn’t get it.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Just moving forward. While Horsburgh is out Stuart really needs to stagger Tapine and Papalii for mine. I’ve noticed we’re banging on about the referees. But really we gave up the ascendency when the middle third was Sutton, Solilola and Lui. I may be wrong, I’m not sure how long Lui stayed on for but those other forwards (while Soliola is off his game) aren’t going to win a forward battle against any decent team. Papa and Tapine on the bench at the same time makes me cringe.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Timbo wrote: June 14, 2019, 10:46 am I really don’t care if the video can or can’t look at it. I also don’t care if he tickled him with a **** feather. It was contact with the head in a tackle which is a penalty. And given the fact that Gallen got a penalty - which led directly to a try - for slapping Bateman whilst in possession, I’m pretty pissed off we didn’t get it.
I hope it doesn’t ruin your Friday Timbo. I suspect Sezer has made a full recovery.

The day when feather touches like that start being penalised is the day I look for another sport to follow.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Wondering if SIA is carrying an injury?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'm starting to think there might be something happening off field with him. He seems healthy when he gets the occasional good charge in but the consistency is not there like it was earlier in the year.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’d say he’s just carrying injury or feeling his age tbh. The man is in his 15th year of first grade. So you’d imagine there’s 2/3 years before that as a teenager of essentially being a full timer as well. He was a pretty clever centre as a young bloke, hardened into a great, great second rower in England and now he’s forced to finish his career as a really tough undersized pig up the guts against the most athletic group of middle third forwards to ever play the game. It’s quite an astonishing career thus far imo. I can’t even begin to imagine how the body must feel after 15+ years as a professional and having to do the hardest of jobs at the backend of that.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote: June 14, 2019, 11:07 am I’d say he’s just carrying injury or feeling his age tbh. The man is in his 15th year of first grade. So you’d imagine there’s 2/3 years before that as a teenager of essentially being a full timer as well. He was a pretty clever centre as a young bloke, hardened into a great, great second rower in England and now he’s forced to finish his career as a really tough undersized pig up the guts against the most athletic group of middle third forwards to ever play the game. It’s quite an astonishing career thus far imo. I can’t even begin to imagine how the body must feel after 15+ years as a professional and having to do the hardest of jobs at the backend of that.
Yeah, agreed. And he started the season really well, I think a few weeks off over the next month should really freshen his game up for our tilt at the finals.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

The Rickman wrote: June 14, 2019, 11:12 am
julian87 wrote: June 14, 2019, 11:07 am I’d say he’s just carrying injury or feeling his age tbh. The man is in his 15th year of first grade. So you’d imagine there’s 2/3 years before that as a teenager of essentially being a full timer as well. He was a pretty clever centre as a young bloke, hardened into a great, great second rower in England and now he’s forced to finish his career as a really tough undersized pig up the guts against the most athletic group of middle third forwards to ever play the game. It’s quite an astonishing career thus far imo. I can’t even begin to imagine how the body must feel after 15+ years as a professional and having to do the hardest of jobs at the backend of that.
Yeah, agreed. And he started the season really well, I think a few weeks off over the next month should really freshen his game up for our tilt at the finals.
One season too many
Last edited by sprintman on June 14, 2019, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

He's just starting to show his age I think. His lateral speed is almost completely gone at this point.

It's been an amazing career but we're well and truly into the twilight of it.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I still think he’s going to play a role. Especially when Hodgson is back and we essentially gain an extra running forward. His stints can be shorter and sharper
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Lucky wrote:Were Dugan and Croker ever friends? I get the impression that every time they play each other Croker wants to deck him...
I think they were friends but nothing more, they played against and with each other since a very young age.

But the attitudes were always the opposite- as in croker has been about the club loves the club and will always put it first. He was raised in a family who put a great head on him and in a town that isnt the cleanest and has a pretty bad underside for kids going through school football helped him stay out of that scene and he credits it.

Where dugan grew up with his **** either kissed and carried because of his talent, he was an absalute dick at school and his parents rode off his talent from a roung age, hes smart enough to realise he had the talent the raiders want to keep and worked in his favor. To him its always have been all about him self and nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

The Rickman wrote: June 14, 2019, 9:48 am
Timbo wrote: June 14, 2019, 9:38 am
The Rickman wrote: June 14, 2019, 9:32 am
Timbo wrote: June 14, 2019, 9:30 am I tend to get hyperbolic when watching games, but this morning while I was having my weet bix I re-watched the second half with a bit more objectivity, we got absolutely hosed by the refs the whole way through. It wasn't even 50/50s breaking towards the Sharks, it was 90/10s.
What about when the penalty count got up 6-nil in our favour and basically setup the win?? Were we really that perfect and the Sharks completely undisciplined??
They were abysmal for the first 25. It doesn't excuse the ref's turning it around. To name just a few:

-High shots on Sezer and Sutton went unpenalized. Sezer even stayed down long enough for the video to see it.
-Gallen hitting bateman while playing the ball and being awarded a penalty for it.
-Fifita shoulder charging Simmonson, then swinging his arm at his head on the ground. Penalty Sharks when we reacted to our player being attacked.
-The Sharks spent the last ~55 minutes laying in the ruck, no penalties, however the dominant tackle rule was seemingly suspended when they were in possession.
-Cotric's "knock on" in the strip where he propels it towards his own goal line.

It was absolutely ridiculous. I know possession and penalties tend to swing back and forth but come on.
And the Fifita one, it wasn't even a shoulder charge! When I saw it first time I yelled out "shoulder charge!!" but after seeing the replay I was like "dammit, there's not even a penalty there."

The refs 100% got that one right too, come on, man.
should have been a penalty for the second effort elow though.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Not really, I really couldn't see anything in it on replay.

And trust me, I was looking for something!
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

I don't think Fifita should have been penalised but i'm not sure there needed to be a penalty against us either as nothing really came of CNK running in apart from a bit of push and shove, I suppose since it stopped the game the Refs had to rule one way or another
Really not sure why Bateman was penalised for his stoush with Gallen either, Gallen started it and all Bateman did was a nothing push back, again I reckon the refs could have just told them to both cut it out and moved on without even stopping play

The main issues were the refereeing of the 10 metre rule(prior in particular ended up just about level with play the ball before we had even cleared the ball from the ruck a few times and Cronulla were taking the piss with how long they were holding down, midway through the first half after a turnover with the sharks backtracking Cotric was hung on to for an age, Brailey also multiple times lay over the tackled player way to long.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Makes sense. I hope it's that simple.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Certainly inconsistency in when the refs decided to let the game flow and when they decided to intervene (helped us a couple times as well). Cronulla had some really clear cases of leaving in defence before the ball was played.

Sports ears showed a lot of examples where the main ref overruled his assistants making calls on offside and forward passes. But no absolute game affecting clangers by the refs.

I was out on the playing field for well over 5 minutes before halftime for the catching comp. I was directly side on to parts of the action and there were some easy to call forward passes I was in line with (Johnson particularly guilty). What got me was how often the touchie held his line with the defence not the ball player. No wonder they let so many forward passes go.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Lucky wrote: June 13, 2019, 11:26 pm Were Dugan and Croker ever friends? I get the impression that every time they play each other Croker wants to deck him...
I don't know if they were ever friends per se, but Croker certainly seemed to take Dugan's treachery personally. He has the tendency to get hyper-aggressive when we play him. It works most of the time.

I remember when Croker and Dugan were part of that little group of "young Raiders talents" that very publicly made a pact to play together for the Raiders for their whole careers...fast forward multiple years and I'm pretty sure Croker is the only one left.

I think my favourite memory is Papa dropping Dugan with a shoulder charge to the head, Dugan lying on the ground, and Croker telling the ref, "but it's Dugan, he always goes down". :roflmao No love lost for sure!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders.com.au competition to vote man of the match: https://www.raiders.com.au/competitions ... vote-motm/

Round 14 in the sheds: Jarrod Croker: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... od-croker/

Roaming Elliott: Round 14 v Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... -v-sharks/

Round 14 Moment of the Week: Elliott Whitehead's crucial trap and pass which led to a penalty goal gets this weeks moment of the week: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... -the-week/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote: June 13, 2019, 10:33 pm Raiders have now played the most games in the comp, 2 more games than 7 teams
There's another example of how the NRL hates the Raiders!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote: June 13, 2019, 10:25 pm
The Rickman wrote: June 13, 2019, 10:23 pm We’ve won three games without Hodgson, one against one of the best teams in the comp. that was simply unthinkable last season.

It’s about times our fans started to enjoy our season for what it is
I wish some people would get off their high horse. just because I'm raising a valid point that both the coach and the players in post match interviews have made doesn't mean I didn't enjoy tonight's victory. We did well to hold on - but we need to avoid lapses like that in the future if we're going to go deep into the finals. And that's exactly what I want to see this team do.
This time last year, "The Rickman" was telling us he wanted Ricky Stuart shot out of a figurative cannon. The holier than thou is getting a bit much!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The Rickman wrote:
Hazza wrote: June 14, 2019, 8:45 am
The Rickman wrote: June 13, 2019, 10:23 pm We’ve won three games without Hodgson, one against one of the best teams in the comp. that was simply unthinkable last season.

Yeah imagine this time last year being disappointed with playing to about 60% of our capacity and still beating a top 8/possible top 4 team, and being 3rd on the ladder with a bye up our sleeve. I guess it's a sign of how far we've come. That's where we have to get to though isn't it. Standards are rising. The storm wouldn't have been happy with the last 60 last night if that was them.
Yeah, but the Storm have off games too, and they still more often than not find a way to win those off games. That's what good teams do.

As I said, last night's game does so much more for the attitude and learning of this team than if they'd won 40-nil. Just wish some of our fans got that too.
I agree with you re winning ugly. It's what Good teams do. It does typify attitude and commitment.

However. There is certainly room for improvement. We all know that. Enrique, please don't get too critical of people who post emotively. That's footy. That's passion. That's the beauty of it.
We tend to calm down, we tend to gain retrospect, we become rational.

Try not to be too critical of that, ok? Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Sezer didn't deserve a penalty for that "high shot ", neither was Fifita for the "shoulder charge".

But, the sharks were offside a lot and getting away with a lot in the ruck

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

sprintman wrote:Wondering if SIA is carrying an injury?
He's not 100% is he?

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Was Bateman charged for a crusher tackle?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dusty wrote: June 14, 2019, 2:54 pm Was Bateman charged for a crusher tackle?

No.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: June 14, 2019, 2:44 pm

I wish some people would get off their high horse. just because I'm raising a valid point that both the coach and the players in post match interviews have made doesn't mean I didn't enjoy tonight's victory. We did well to hold on - but we need to avoid lapses like that in the future if we're going to go deep into the finals. And that's exactly what I want to see this team do.
This time last year, "The Rickman" was telling us he wanted Ricky Stuart shot out of a figurative cannon. The holier than thou is getting a bit much!
And if you can't tell the difference between how the squad is performing this season and "this time last year" then you really shouldn't be even involving yourself in football discussions anymore.

Just go and sit in the corner mumbling to yourself about how the NRL hates the raiders and the rest of us will enjoy the best team we've had in twenty years exhibiting the best defence we've had possibly ever.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote:
Dusty wrote: June 14, 2019, 2:54 pm Was Bateman charged for a crusher tackle?

No.
Wow. Great news!

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

dubby wrote: June 14, 2019, 2:47 pm Sezer didn't deserve a penalty for that "high shot ", neither was Fifita for the "shoulder charge".

But, the sharks were offside a lot and getting away with a lot in the ruck

Pretty succinct and that's the way I saw it. Live I screamed shoulder charge but as soon as I saw the replay he made attempts to involve the arms and first (heavy) contact with the shoulder- which is precisely the technique you get taught. It's not a hugging contest.

Sezer face slap wasn't worth a report so can't be a penalty.

There would be an outcry though about "protecting playmakers" if he'd whacked Taylor or Ponga or Cronk.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Sia could have easily been penalised near the end where the Sharks player was trying to get up and play the ball and he was still holding on. I don't think it was the wrong call but you often see those go the other way and if it had I don't know if we would have held on.

There were some shady calls but they tended to go with the team that had momentum and possession. In the first 20 it all went our way because the Sharks never had the ball, when the sharks had a run of possession they got more penalties.

There was some annoying inconsistency, like Croker being penalised for holding down in one of the quickest play of the balls in the entire game and similar tackles the other way going unnoticed.

Overall it was a tough game, both teams really ripped in and were fighting for every metre. That always makes things a bit scrappy. The Sharks like to drag teams down to their level and we fell for it like a blind roofer and stopped playing our game. Our attack went from almost clinical in the first 20 to a complete rabble in the second half, especially when attacking the line. Our halves needed to take control and they didn't manage to consistently enough on important plays. Let's focus on the things we can control as a team!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: June 14, 2019, 3:17 pm

And if you can't tell the difference between how the squad is performing this season and "this time last year" then you really shouldn't be even involving yourself in football discussions anymore.

Just go and sit in the corner mumbling to yourself about how the NRL hates the raiders and the rest of us will enjoy the best team we've had in twenty years exhibiting the best defence we've had possibly ever.
You know that’s not my view. You’re simply setting up a straw man. You can read my TGE today for my actual views.

I’m just asking the question... how are you qualified to lecture others on how to “fan”? ... ripping off Soulsy’s phrase.

Maybe some people like to watch more closely and analyse more deeply than others... ;) as Ricky might have said at one stage.

Surely people are entitled to say they see things that concern them about a performance after watching a game, without being considered “sad sacks”?

Can’t people legitimately come to a different view, when watching the same incident in a game? For example, I’ve watched the Nine and Fox commentary of the Fifita incident with Sezer. The Nine commentators said it was a shoulder charge from Fifita, and he also forearmed Sezer’s head while he was on the ground. The Fox commentators, led by Finch, said its all OK and people on the ground are “fair game”. People who’ve played at the highest level and came to a different view.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

So GE, do you agree with my view on our victory, and the pluses and minuses>?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:

You know that’s not my view. You’re simply setting up a straw man. You can read my TGE today for my actual views.

I’m just asking the question... how are you qualified to lecture others on how to “fan”? ... ripping off Soulsy’s phrase.

Maybe some people like to watch more closely and analyse more deeply than others... ;) as Ricky might have said at one stage.

Surely people are entitled to say they see things that concern them about a performance after watching a game, without being considered “sad sacks”?

Cant people legitimately come to a different view, when watching the same incident in a game? For example, I’ve watched the Nine and Fox commentary of the Fifita incident with Sezer. The Nine commentators said it was a shoulder charge from Fifita, and he also forearmed Sezer’s head while he was on the ground. The Fox commentators, led by Finch, said its all OK and people on the ground are “fair game”. People who’ve played at the highest level and came to a different view.
Well there’s absolutely no reason to call me a “cant”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote: June 14, 2019, 4:33 pm So GE, do you agree with my view on our victory, and the pluses and minuses>?
Yes I did.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Rickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Azza wrote: June 13, 2019, 10:25 pm I wish some people would get off their high horse. just because I'm raising a valid point that both the coach and the players in post match interviews have made doesn't mean I didn't enjoy tonight's victory. We did well to hold on - but we need to avoid lapses like that in the future if we're going to go deep into the finals. And that's exactly what I want to see this team do.

Cant people legitimately come to a different view, when watching the same incident in a game? For example, I’ve watched the Nine and Fox commentary of the Fifita incident with Sezer. The Nine commentators said it was a shoulder charge from Fifita, and he also forearmed Sezer’s head while he was on the ground. The Fox commentators, led by Finch, said its all OK and people on the ground are “fair game”. People who’ve played at the highest level and came to a different view.
Well there’s absolutely no reason to call me a “cant”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Close. Can I buy a vowel please Burgo?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Apparently Cotric's injury isn't as severe as first thought, and so recovery time may be quicker than expected.