Canberra Raiders international weekend representatives

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Siliva Havili selected for Tonga

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders hooker Siliva Havili selected for Tonga

Tonga coach Kristian Woolf has picked several new faces in his squad to face New Zealand in Auckland next Saturday. Ata Hingano (thumb) was in the preliminary squad but is unavailable due to injury.

Tonga squad (alphabetical order)

John Asiata (North Queensland Cowboys)
Manase Fainu (Manly Sea Eagles)
Andrew Fifita (Cronulla Sharks)
Addin Fonua-Blake (Manly Sea Eagles)
Moeaki Fotuaika (Gold Coast Titans)
David Fusi'tua (New Zealand Warriors)
Siliva Havili (Canberra Raiders)
Tuimoala Lolohea (Leeds Rhinos)
Will Hopoate (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Michael Jennings (Parramatta Eels)
Robert Jennings (Wests Tigers)
Solomone Kata (New Zealand Warriors)
Sione Katoa (Penrith Panthers)
Manu Ma'u (Parramatta Eels)
Tevita Pangai Jnr (Brisbane Broncos)
Kotoni Staggs (Brisbane Broncos)
Tevita Tatola (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Siosiua Taukeiaho (Sydney Roosters)
Jason Taumalolo (North Queensland Cowboys)
Peni Terepo (Parramatta Eels)
Daniel Tupou (Sydney Roosters)
Sitili Tupouniua (Sydney Roosters)

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/12/ton ... w-zealand/
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Siliva Havili selected for Tonga

Post by Billy Walker »

Not a bad looking team.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Hingano injured? He has always played well for them.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Looks like it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not named last week, nor this, didn't play in the second half for Mounties two weeks ago. Hasn't made it onto the official injury list... Murchie didn't either when he was injured recently.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

^ The article says hingano was in the preliminary squad but has an injured thumb
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Not a bad team but they are let down in the halves.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Sid wrote: June 12, 2019, 3:10 pm ^ The article says hingano was in the preliminary squad but has an injured thumb
We need an investigation into our thumb conditioning coach! Sounds like Tarps’ is contagious!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Must be a lot of pressure on some of these up and coming Tongans to choose country over potential future state of origin selection. They obviously have immense pride in country but sadly give up some sweet potential pay cheques in the process. It would be good if some pay parity could come in for the Pacific nations. I guess as TV interest grows the $$ will follow. It will destroy union if the pacific players can make a good kick representing their own nations.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

They’ll beat NZ imo.

At a glance it looks like their halves are lacking. But Havili and Fainu from dummy half and Asiata/Lolohea should be able to do a job behind that ridiculously good forward pack

Fifita
Havili
Taukeiaho
TPJ
Mau
Taumalolo

Fainu
Fotuaika
Fonua Blake
Staggs

Trumps every other pack in rep football atm imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Billy Walker wrote: June 12, 2019, 4:43 pm Must be a lot of pressure on some of these up and coming Tongans to choose country over potential future state of origin selection. They obviously have immense pride in country but sadly give up some sweet potential pay cheques in the process. It would be good if some pay parity could come in for the Pacific nations. I guess as TV interest grows the $$ will follow. It will destroy union if the pacific players can make a good kick representing their own nations.
Is that how it works, Billy? I thought it might have been they were okay to play for their Pacific nation if they weren't selected for Origin/a tier one nation. Wasn't Michael Jennings thrown up as a chance for the vacant Blues centre spot a few weeks ago?

Either way, I agree with your points about pay parity and the effect on rugby. Rugby has a pretty strong hold on most of those countries but I think that game limits Islanders' natural physical advantages and league will draw attract more players if it's marketed properly.

(Also, congrats to Havili! He's been awesome again this year. I love him.)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Ruben Daley wrote: June 12, 2019, 9:10 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 12, 2019, 4:43 pm Must be a lot of pressure on some of these up and coming Tongans to choose country over potential future state of origin selection. They obviously have immense pride in country but sadly give up some sweet potential pay cheques in the process. It would be good if some pay parity could come in for the Pacific nations. I guess as TV interest grows the $$ will follow. It will destroy union if the pacific players can make a good kick representing their own nations.
Is that how it works, Billy? I thought it might have been they were okay to play for their Pacific nation if they weren't selected for Origin/a tier one nation. Wasn't Michael Jennings thrown up as a chance for the vacant Blues centre spot a few weeks ago?

Either way, I agree with your points about pay parity and the effect on rugby. Rugby has a pretty strong hold on most of those countries but I think that game limits Islanders' natural physical advantages and league will draw attract more players if it's marketed properly.

I understood Fifita made himself unavailable for NSW in order to play for Tonga. While a big sacrifice for him, I’m guessing he’s made a few dollars from the game already and has played SOO and Kangaroo test matches. For some of the emerging players it would be a massive honour to play for Tonga but I suspect a little tough shutting the door on the $$ and experience of playing SOO.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

TPJ also made himself unavailable to NSW
Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

League could pull the rug from under Union in the Pacific if it was prepared to stump up somewhere between 2-10 million to to some of the following...

Regular Pacific Tests with pay packets in the low 4 figures. Regular test tours either to or by Kumuls/Fiji and Tonga/Samoa to Oz/NZ and England/France (or another Euro nation/qualifier). They could happen on an alternating basis every two years so you end up seeing a team every 4th year like an Ashes and the fit the WC cycle.

You take or visit Kummuls/Fiji on the same tour and Tonga/Samoa (all playing as individual nations of course) on the same tour to save costs and so each tour gets a decent amount of games; warm up vs a PM XI or NZ maori, touring nations play each other in a Test and then a test vs each nation and the hosts. That way there's competitive games/winnable games and they are at least hardened and better rehearsed by the time they play the Tier 1 nation.

For a bit more they could get Fiji into the NSWRL and Tonga and Samoa into perhaps the NZ comp to strengthen that or put the money into payments for a combined Tonga/Samoa club level comp- 1.5 hour flights but could set it up so Tongan /Samoans clubs play each other in derbies some rounds, then travel another round etc to save costs. Wages wouldn't have to be high and you could get big interest and then bring talent down to NZ or Oz...

League could put a real dent in Unions international cred that way while strengthening it's own position and it wouldn't cost a lot in the scheme of things. It would strengthen league in oz by drawing away more union fans, strengthen league in NZ and grow the market there, continue to develop PNG and Pacific (not much $$ there but TV rights would sell here and in NZ for the Tests to bankroll it because they are awesome to watch) + perhaps develop game /interest in England and France- where we are small but with some effort could grow. They are large and wealthy markets where we at least have a small footprint.

Get it right and more countries who play union might realise league is a better game and get interested. At the very least it grows the talent pool for expansion in Oz/NZ franchises and paves the way for eventual Moresby NRL team.
Last edited by BadnMean on June 13, 2019, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Billy Walker wrote: June 12, 2019, 10:35 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: June 12, 2019, 9:10 pm

I understood Fifita made himself unavailable for NSW in order to play for Tonga. While a big sacrifice for him, I’m guessing he’s made a few dollars from the game already and has played SOO and Kangaroo test matches. For some of the emerging players it would be a massive honour to play for Tonga but I suspect a little tough shutting the door on the $$ and experience of playing SOO.
I agree. Hopefully, the NRL demonstrates some foresight to address this opportunity, using ideas like BadnMean suggested above.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: June 13, 2019, 10:21 am League could pull the rug from under Union in the Pacific if it was prepared to stump up somewhere between 2-10 million to to some of the following...

Regular Pacific Tests with pay packets in the low 4 figures. Regular test tours either to or by Kumuls/Fiji and Tonga/Samoa to Oz/NZ and England/France (or another Euro nation/qualifier). They could happen on an alternating basis every two years so you end up seeing a team every 4th year like an Ashes and the fit the WC cycle.

For a bit more they could get Fiji into the NSWRL and Tonga and Samoa into perhaps the NZ comp to strengthen that or put the money into payments for a combined Tonga/Samoa club level comp- 1.5 hour flights but could set it up so Tongan /Samoans clubs play each other in derbies some rounds, then travel another round etc to save costs. Wages wouldn't have to be high and you could get big interest and then bring talent down to NZ or Oz...

League could put a real dent in Unions international cred that way while strengthening it's own position and it wouldn't cost a lot in the scheme of things. It would strengthen league in oz by drawing away more union fans, strengthen league in NZ and grow the market there, continue to develop PNG and Pacific (not much $$ there but TV rights would sell here and in NZ for the Tests to bankroll it because they are awesome to watch) + perhaps develop game /interest in England and France- where we are small but with some effort could grow. They are large and wealthy markets where we at least have a small footprint.

Get it right and more countries who play union might realise league is a better game and get interested.
Sounds like a good idea.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The best thing league has done has been to allow players not selected for Aus or NZ to play for pacific nations or other 2nd tier teams. If the wallabies or all blacks decide they don’t want a player, I’m pretty sure it’s 3 years or so before they can represent Fiji, Tonga or Samoa. I also think the Australian Super Rugby teams are only allowed 2 players who are ineligible for wallabies selection. To me it’s a big middle finger to the proud island nations - we will take your best to pump up our national teams but we will do nothing for you. League scheduled the pacific tests the same day as the Rugby World Cup which seems to be an indication they are taking Rugby head on. It’s a smart move. Even if an idea like BnM’s above ran at a loss for a number of years I think the long term benefits would be huge!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Forget about Union. Trying to grow the game at the expense of another sport is what stuffed Union here. We'd probably be better off trying to partner with them in the Pacific.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: June 13, 2019, 11:41 am The best thing league has done has been to allow players not selected for Aus or NZ to play for pacific nations or other 2nd tier teams. If the wallabies or all blacks decide they don’t want a player, I’m pretty sure it’s 3 years or so before they can represent Fiji, Tonga or Samoa. I also think the Australian Super Rugby teams are only allowed 2 players who are ineligible for wallabies selection. To me it’s a big middle finger to the proud island nations - we will take your best to pump up our national teams but we will do nothing for you. League scheduled the pacific tests the same day as the Rugby World Cup which seems to be an indication they are taking Rugby head on. It’s a smart move. Even if an idea like BnM’s above ran at a loss for a number of years I think the long term benefits would be huge!
Yeah I definitely see it as a "loss leader" for at least the first decade. But those games themselves are designed to make $$$ (who knows, the tours might break even fairly easily soon enough + the Pacific Tests from TV), just attract the audience/build the audience for RL by making expansion viable here and adding some smaller markets, + growing the NZ/Eng/France market + PNG has potential as it develops.

Given it would take a small blob of NRL money but potentially grow the pie here so much down the track by cannibalising union in those places and here not just for audience but then by consequence extra corporate sponsorship dollars flowing around it would be a good move.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

edwahu wrote: June 13, 2019, 11:45 am Forget about Union. Trying to grow the game at the expense of another sport is what stuffed Union here. We'd probably be better off trying to partner with them in the Pacific.
We don't need to fight them, just step in and offer an alternative which gives more, as AFL does so well to league.

Union treats the Southern hemisphere like crap. It's eurocentric in the extreme. We should treat the Pacific well and entice them over.

Super Rugby is about to deliver a huge slap in the face by axing the best performing (crowds wise) franchise the Japan Sunwolves from the comp right before the World Cup. Union is flailing and League will be missing a trick if it doesn't see the opportunity to offer viable pathways and comps to other nations in our region.

Small minded outlook has left league a small game despite a better product. SL is finding room too let in teams from Canada and NY. They don't need to capture huge audiences in those countries, niche in those places is enough to be a very, very significant expansion on their current market.

NRL should show a similar vision imo.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I think a big part of union’s decline is the dominance of the all blacks. The kiwis keep tuning in to watch them win but many wallabies fans have lost interest. The Kangaroos long term dominance of RL was not dissimilar and that is why you have an odd situation that state of origin is a bigger deal than an international. Now that NZ and Tonga are more than competitive there is a bit more interest in the international game. RL needs to do everything to see the pacific nations success continue to grow to the point there is genuine interest in whether Australia can put together a team good enough to win a Pacific cup.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders international weekend representatives

Post by greeneyed »

Rapana and Tapine named in New Zealand squad to face Tonga

Canberra Raiders stars Jordan Rapana and Joe Tapine have been named in the New Zealand squad to face Tonga in their upcoming Test match on 22 June at Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland. It remains to be seen if they will play, given Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has said that players with any injury concerns will not be released by the Green Machine.

New Zealand Kiwis squad

Backs: Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Jahrome Hughes, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Ken Maumalo, Jamayne Isaako, Jodan Rapana, Esan Marsters, Joseph Manu, Kieran Foran, Kodi Nikorima, Shaun Johnson, Benji Marshall,

Forwards: James Fisher-Harrs, Zane Tetevano, Isaac Liu, Joseph Tapine, Isaiah Papali'i, Briton Nikora, Kenny Bromwich, Leeson Ah Mau, Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Jesse Bromwich, Martin Taupau, Agnatius Paasi, Brandon Smith, Issac Luke.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Re: Rapana and Tapine named in New Zealand squad to face Tonga

Post by Ultima »

Both have been injured this year and Rapana missed the entire off-season thanks to the Kiwi's. Hard pass to releasing them. Unless the players really beg to go I can't see Stuart releasing them.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I'd go with something along the lines of:
1. RTS
2. Isaako
3. DWZ
4. Manu
5. Rapana
6. Hughes
7. Johnson
8. J Bromwich
9. Luke
10. JWH
11. Tapine
12. K Bromwich
13. Taupau

14. Nikorima
15. NAS
16. Tetevano/Liu
17. Nikora
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Ultima wrote: June 14, 2019, 12:29 am Both have been injured this year and Rapana missed the entire off-season thanks to the Kiwi's. Hard pass to releasing them. Unless the players really beg to go I can't see Stuart releasing them.
Yeah I don't particularly want to risk our players but I think they both belong in the starting 13 fully fit
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Grats boys. For **** sake don't get injured.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I don't see Rapana playing, he still looks busted

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

-TW- wrote: June 14, 2019, 12:45 am I don't see Rapana playing, he still looks busted

From the sound of the press conference I don't think Ricky will make him a available.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I really don’t want them playing this, purely for selfish reasons

Same reason I don’t want Jack picked for nsw
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

-TW- wrote: June 14, 2019, 12:45 am I don't see Rapana playing, he still looks busted

Yea I don't think he'll get selected anyway, like you say he's nowhere near 100% and the Kiwis have some very good wing options, DWZ captained them last year and with RTS back he'll likely play on the wing, they then have Maumalo who I think will start on the left, meaning Isaako and Rapana missing out

The halves are interesting they could pick any of the four options, I reckon they'll probably go Johnson, Nikorima but only due to them being the halves last year, wouldn't at all be surprised if they weren't even in the 17
1. RTS
2. DWZ
3. Masters
4. Manu
5. Maumalo
6. Nikorima
7. Johnson
8. JWH
9. B Smith
10. J Bromwich
11. Tapine
12. Nikora
13. JFH

14. K Bromwich
15. NAS
16. Tapau
17. Liu
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I worry about Rapana. Can't see him playing. He's clearly not fit. Hopefully he'll find his spark again soon.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Johnson almost looked like a passenger against us. I wouldn't be picking him this test.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

zim wrote: June 14, 2019, 8:21 am Johnson almost looked like a passenger against us. I wouldn't be picking him this test.
Morris made a good point in his presser about wanting him to play next week to get more game time.
On Morris, I have to say he makes my dislike of Cronulla lessen a little. He is infinitely more likeable than Flanagan.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Rapana doesn't look fit to me- I honestly think he would benefit from the break and some strength and conditioning work and confidence in his knee.

If Tapine is fit then he should play, it's an honor to be selected and he hasn't played a lot this year. He might benefit from the run actually. Be good if they played him on an edge.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

BadnMean wrote:Rapana doesn't look fit to me- I honestly think he would benefit from the break and some strength and conditioning work and confidence in his knee.

If Tapine is fit then he should play, it's an honor to be selected and he hasn't played a lot this year. He might benefit from the run actually. Be good if they played him on an edge.
I thought Rapana looked a bit sluggish and
Like he was favouring his knee vs Tigers.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh